skate

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

skate

Post by webdanzer »

Anyone else getting this one? I loved the demo enough to grab this first day. (today) Just wanted to see if anyone else splurged, and maybe wants to hit the city with a best trick attack or something over the weekend or something...

Seems like it would be a very good laid back kind of online session.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Um....definitely.

Skated for about 14 years and timed the demo out 57 times (last one was last night before deleting the demo).

It's a complete no-brainer for me. I played that demo more than most $60 purchases.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So how does it compare to Tony Hawk?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

TCrouch wrote:Um....definitely.

Skated for about 14 years and timed the demo out 57 times (last one was last night before deleting the demo).

It's a complete no-brainer for me. I played that demo more than most $60 purchases.
Holy crap! I probably went through the demo half that much and I thought THAT was a lot!

I got really good at blasting through that tutorial, hitting all the moves before they were even called for! :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

wco81 wrote:So how does it compare to Tony Hawk?
Tony Hawk would be an arcade, over-the-top representation of skateboarding. Hit the A button to Ollie, X to flip trick, B to grab, Y to grind, etc (I don't recall the exact button presses, but you get the point). String together long chains of 50-move combos and 30 foot airs for huge points.

Skate isn't like that. You pull the R stick back to set for an ollie, flick it up to actually pop the board and ollie. Flick it up and to the right to kick flip. Down and around like a SF2 fireball to shove it. When in the air, pull the RT to grab with your right hand and LT to grab with the left. No 30 foot airs unless you have the speed and the ramp to do it. Your lines are much tougher to nail. You still have manuals, but it entails pulling back (or pushing forward) on the Right stick a small amount to "balance" on the landing, and must be held to continue the manual.

A great line might be 1 or 2 tricks, just like a real skater. You will probably still be pulling off huge combos with a bunch of practice, but since the entire experience is around using the L stick to spin your body and the R stick as your "feet" to kick the board around it's incredibly intuitive, and difficult to really master. Just last night, on that 57th run-through, I got to the point where I could really drill an inward flip to a nose blunt down a hand rail, since you no longer just hit a direction and hold a button...you must move the R stick in a pattern to pull the flip, then move the L stick enough to turn the skater sideways, and lastly tweak the R stick enough to push down on the nose at the exact position to get into a nose blunt slide.

It's ridiculously tough at first, but the satisfaction from simply pulling off moves and...well...skating...is awesome. Takes me back to the days of sessioning with buddies, finding a simple curb and just skating on it for hours. Same thing in the game. It's not a goal-oriented achievement fest. There are no unlockables. You can do any move in the game right away. You won't buy shoes that give you magic ollie power. You can explore the whole city.

After that novel, it should be easy to figure out, but Tony Hawk is the arcade game, skate is the simulation that has a few physics compromises to make it fun (you'll find some weird situations where you should really eat sh*t on a transition and yet you can land it, etc). But it's far more realistic than Hawk, where simply tooling around and skating is the main draw.

IGN Vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzHuQS0O ... ed&search=

You can tell it's based in the real world a hell of a lot more than a Hawk game. Setting up your moves and lines takes planning and timing. Keep in mind the guy playing has to be manipulating the right stick just to ollie and pull off tricks in conjunction with the L stick, triggers, and the A/X buttons (to push off with the right and left feet, respectively).
Last edited by TCrouch on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I could never play TH, but Skate's demo had me hooked. I just don't have all the cash to buy all these games so I have to pick and choose, but this one will be mine as soon as it drops in price or after Xmas.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Here's a pretty badass trailer, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JqElFb9 ... ed&search=

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Sounds analogus to the EA snowboarding game vs. the Xbox snowboarding game.

Aside from the difficulty or realism of pulling off moves, are the moves over the top or realistic?

Also, how do the graphics and physics compare to TH?

What kind of online modes?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Did you watch those videos I linked? Should show you the moves and whatnot.

As for online modes you have a free session, SKATE (which is like horse for hoops), own the spot where you have trick attack scores for a line, etc.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I too loved the demo. I never cared for all the finger gymnastics that the Tony Hawk games called for. I might pick this one up if I can pull myself away from NHL08 for a few minutes :D

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

The gameplay in the demo was very fresh. The new Tony Hawk game seems primitive by comparison. Strangely enough, Skate reminds me of the very first Tony Hawk demo for the PS1 (I think it was on a Jampack). It's not that the game is similar but it just has a uniqueness that's pretty rare today. I think I played that two minute TH warehouse level hundreds of times.

I totally suck at Skate though. Guess I need to play through the demo about 53 more times.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I loved the demo but don't have time for this right now. I want to focus on NHL08 for a while and also Madden (plus Bioshock on the PC).

I can see myself getting it in the future. My 7 year old wants it and wants to spend his birthday money on it but I'm trying to get him to save some of that.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

sfz_T-car wrote:The gameplay in the demo was very fresh. The new Tony Hawk game seems primitive by comparison. Strangely enough, Skate reminds me of the very first Tony Hawk demo for the PS1 (I think it was on a Jampack). It's not that the game is similar but it just has a uniqueness that's pretty rare today. I think I played that two minute TH warehouse level hundreds of times.
I agree completely, Z. The Skate demo totally revitalized my interest in the genre, and I agree in that for me, the experience of playing and being excited by the demo was very much in line with how I felt with the demo TH1.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

webdanzer wrote:
sfz_T-car wrote:The gameplay in the demo was very fresh. The new Tony Hawk game seems primitive by comparison. Strangely enough, Skate reminds me of the very first Tony Hawk demo for the PS1 (I think it was on a Jampack). It's not that the game is similar but it just has a uniqueness that's pretty rare today. I think I played that two minute TH warehouse level hundreds of times.
I agree completely, Z. The Skate demo totally revitalized my interest in the genre, and I agree in that for me, the experience of playing and being excited by the demo was very much in line with how I felt with the demo TH1.
I feel the same as both of you.

I picked it up today on my way home from work. No impressions yet because i literally just popped it in but I wanted to say right away that the intro movie to the Career Mode is simply awesome and hysterical. Very well done. Now I'm off to create my skater.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This and NHL08 were my most anticipated titles. I'll definitely, DEFINITELY be on at 4PM PT if anybody wants to get the multiplayer groove on.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

TCrouch wrote:This and NHL08 were my most anticipated titles.
Along with Bioshock, these were my top ones for the fall as well, though Skate only got there after I played the demo.

4 Pacific is too early for me tonight, Terry, but I should be able to get on at around 8, going between skate and NHL.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Bastards! I think I may pick this one up now!!!

???

8O

It's no Warhawk though... :)
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Looks good.

Hopefully there will be a PS3 demo.

We got TH and NHL, FIFA and Harry Potter instead of Skate. :?

b_assassin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by b_assassin »

Hey guys, just wanted to chime and say I'm glad you are excited about and/or enjoying the game. As one of the game's producers, it has been very rewarding to see the reactions of both media and communities like DSP to skate.

For those that don't know me, I used to post more regularly here and at OS, but since I started working for EA, I've had less time to lurk here. Plus it is safer for me to just avoid many threads in here no matter how much I might want to chime in :)

Anyway, I just wanted to express my thanks and hope that you guys give the full version of the game a chance. For myself and all of the folks that worked ridiculously hard the past couple years to make this game, we appreciate it. Skate on!

Cheers,
b_assassin

edit: btw - I think PS3 demo will be out next week...

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Nice work by the whole team, assassin, and way to go for EA for taking a chance and going up against hawk and releasing during a very busy time.

Now get to work on those handplants... ;)

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

webdanzer wrote:Nice work by the whole team, assassin, and way to go for EA for taking a chance and going up against hawk and releasing during a very busy time.

Now get to work on those handplants... ;)
I hated the demo to this game as I could not use that right stick to do the tricks. It was just too tough for me.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This game is F'n awesome!

Terry, Millenium and I did best trick on the XGames big air ramp (the one where the guy got destroyed this year) and it was hilarious. I havne't had that much fun in 30 seconds spurts in forever. That is HUGE fun.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I havne't had that much fun in 30 seconds spurts in forever.
Dry streak, huh? :wink:

I agree that this game is ridiculously fun. Good job b_assassin! You really gave a stale genre a kickstart.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

This game s great, no doubt about it, but I am not coordinated enough for it from my time with the demo. :cry: :oops:
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Can anyone tell me if there are "speed wobbles" in this game? Is it possible to fall off of the board when going super fast down some of the bigger ramps?

Can't wait to pick this one up. The demo is OOTW!