BioShock (No Spoilers).

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Stupid ass people that are behind you in this game. You doing something and bam there right there. It's like a really bad version of the Seinfeld episode of the quiet walker.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I'd say the discussion was "spoiler-lite" :P

It *did* occur to me before Web posted though I can see how it was an innocent enough revelation. I'm sitting with the game and no box to play it in right now :twisted:

That said, if you don't want spoilers, don't check your friends list... Bioshock game status seems to include some reasonably detailed info...

"Ragehawk is desperately looking for a way to xxx xxx xxx"
"RobVarak is blasting xxxx in yyyy"

:P

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I think everyone is on edge from playing too much BioShock! Seriously, if you want a spoiler, try having your best friend's mother accidentally tell you the ending of The Usual Suspects before you've seen it. That's a spoiler. It's not like any big secrets were revealed about BioShock here.

Anyway, this game really is why I play videogames. The attention to detail, the clever twist on traditional FPS combat, and the incredibly tense atmosphere just suck you in. As much as I love this hobby, I rarely think games transcend to art, but this may be one of those times.

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Wow...they've got the Django Reinhardt / Stephane Grappelli version of "Beyond the Sea". I hung out in that one area for a couple of minutes just to listen to Django's solo with those sweeping arpeggios. So sweet....

Oh yeah, the game is damn good too :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

spooky157 wrote:Wow...they've got the Django Reinhardt / Stephane Grappelli version of "Beyond the Sea". I hung out in that one area for a couple of minutes just to listen to Django's solo with those sweeping arpeggios. So sweet....

Oh yeah, the game is damn good too :)
That's where they had me. There are at least 4 spots where I stopped to listen to the music LOL Now if they can just work in some Eddie Lang or Lonnie Johnson my life will be complete :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Just wanted to say a friend loaned me his old Audigy 4 sound card so i can finally play the game in Vista with DX10. Without giving away anything, I got to the part mentioned earlier in this thread and it still scared the crap out of me. :lol:
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

This is one of my favorite games, ever. I haven't simply kept playing a game like this in years.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I was completely reeled in last night. The atmosphere is so intense. So far it ranks up there with the Half-Life games and Resident Evil 4.

I do have one question about Plasmids: I found my third one but only have two slots. I know I need to find more ADAM to get a third slot, but is there any way to swap plasmids without finding another machine? Or are you stuck with it until you find a dispenser? I swapped out my electroshock but would like to get it back.

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

Brando70 wrote:I do have one question about Plasmids: I found my third one but only have two slots. I know I need to find more ADAM to get a third slot, but is there any way to swap plasmids without finding another machine? Or are you stuck with it until you find a dispenser? I swapped out my electroshock but would like to get it back.
I think you need to find the machine to swap out. Can't recall the name of the machine though.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

peabody wrote:
Brando70 wrote:I do have one question about Plasmids: I found my third one but only have two slots. I know I need to find more ADAM to get a third slot, but is there any way to swap plasmids without finding another machine? Or are you stuck with it until you find a dispenser? I swapped out my electroshock but would like to get it back.
I think you need to find the machine to swap out. Can't recall the name of the machine though.
Gene banks, yep. It becomes less of an issue than it seems at first, Brando.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

webdanzer wrote:
peabody wrote:
Gene banks, yep. It becomes less of an issue than it seems at first, Brando.
It's not really a problem, but I miss my "toaster in the tub" attack :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The gene banks let you swap out plasmids in slots you already have.

The garden terminals let you purchase more slots.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

TCrouch wrote:The gene banks let you swap out plasmids in slots you already have.

The garden terminals let you purchase more slots.
A spoiler-free tip. There are areas that are easier with certain plasmids enabled, and they almost always have a gene bank in the vicinity.

And to echo what someone said earlier in the thread, I'm a little cheesed off at the fact that the XBL descriptions on your friends list give so much away. They should've just left it at the generic description or a simple level number.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

webdanzer wrote:This is one of my favorite games, ever. I haven't simply kept playing a game like this in years.
I agree. Anyone that thinks the same and that hasn't played System Shock 2 on the PC needs to check that game out once they are done. Bill Harris's Dubious Quality blog has a semi spoiler-free link to a retrospective of System Shock 2 over at Evil Avatar.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showth ... post934818

The audio logs are one of my favorite things about both of these games. In System Shock 2 they were so well done I felt a real connection to a few of the characters. SS2 is also host to the greatest video game villian of all time with the most bone chilling audio I've ever heard in a video game.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

btmmayor wrote:I agree. Anyone that thinks the same and that hasn't played System Shock 2 on the PC needs to check that game out once they are done.
I'm actually playing through SS2 while I wait for my Gamefly copy of Bioshock to arrive. I can't believe I missed this one when it originally came out.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Orchestral Soundtrack now avaialble for download!

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

:D

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

webdanzer wrote:Orchestral Soundtrack now avaialble for download!

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

:D
Awesome........thanks for the heads up!!

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Since I am going spoiler free, I am sure that once I finish I will discover that some areas of difficulty could have been done quite simply with a better strategy.

I think I need to take a day or 2 break from this game. I have already had dreams where I kept doing the hack/pipe minigame over and over. And I woke up this morning about an hour early and instead of thinking about what I need to do at work today, I was thinking of strategies to try at the point I stopped playing last night.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

kevinpars wrote:Since I am going spoiler free, I am sure that once I finish I will discover that some areas of difficulty could have been done quite simply with a better strategy.

I think I need to take a day or 2 break from this game. I have already had dreams where I kept doing the hack/pipe minigame over and over. And I woke up this morning about an hour early and instead of thinking about what I need to do at work today, I was thinking of strategies to try at the point I stopped playing last night.
I'm nearly done with the game. I played it for hours on end this weekend. I swear I see shimmering objects throughout my apartment. I feel like I'm constantly trying to find the blue Eve vials.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I love the power development in the game. After some weapon and plasmid upgrades, you can become quite the badass.

It's fun to use the Big Daddies as a measuring stick in this regard.

A couple of 'trigger moment' attacks are really, really annoying--especially one that you have to repeat a few times-- but other than that (and some occasions where the vita-chamber usage unfortunately removes the stress from certain situations) I love pretty much everything else about the game.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Well, I finished Bioshock. I enjoyed the game immensely- that said, it's going back for Halo in three weeks. As much as the world was fantastic, the combat itself left something to be desired. If the combat model had been better, I'd think about keeping it around, but I can't see the replay value as is.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

seanmac31 wrote:Well, I finished Bioshock. I enjoyed the game immensely- that said, it's going back for Halo in three weeks. As much as the world was fantastic, the combat itself left something to be desired. If the combat model had been better, I'd think about keeping it around, but I can't see the replay value as is.
I finished it tonight as well. I felt the combat was quite satisfying. I don't think i can bring myself to sell or trade a game like this. It feels like something important. Another major step towards video games becoming true art. Like a great movie it's something I just want to have around for reference.

I might post something in the DSP blog about the game and my expectations for the future of video games. If not that than perhaps a new spoiler thread where those who have finished the game can discuss it.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I have done such a good job of avoiding spoilers or even reviews, that I don't even know how close I am to the end. But a spoiler thread would be fun to discuss the game once I do finish.

I think this is a game that I may play through again once I finish - probably during a slow game time next year. I just like the atmosphere of this game so much.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Question: are there long stretches of this game with no music? Particularly in the Tea Garden area?

I seem to have discovered a wee glitch. I was playing for a bit while streaming music via the dashboard, but when I stopped that music, the game music didn't seem to come back. Later, I started a new game and noticed something was missing. So, I rebooted the game, making sure the dashboard music was already off before booting it up, and voila, there was the game music in the lighthouse, those atmospheric strains of 'Beyond the Sea.'

So, back to reload my save game in the Tea Garden, and still no music. The music in the game is often pretty subtle and atmospheric, but i can't help feeling that something is wrong and I should be hearing something. It's a shame that the game music doesn't come back if you have been listening to music through the dashboard, and it's a glitch I hope they fix. Somehow i think I've broken the game music in my main save.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Zeppo, you were playing this game listening to your own music and not with the meticulous sound and music design by the devs? For shame! :wink: