Madden 08 Hands On

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

tjung0831 wrote:
JRod wrote:Here's what pisses my off about Madden that makes the whole game, the AI, and the experience questionable. What's really going on underneath the hood when you see the following.

The play I call has Nate Wayne running a fly down the left side of the field. The 4th WR is running a slant to pull the Safety off of the play. As the plays develops everything is going like planned. I lob the ball to Wayne who's in a one-on-one situation. As the ball gets near the Wayne, the DB who has his back to the play stays with his back to the play but circles backward to get in front of the WR. He jumps for the INT but jetpacks right in front of wayne to get the INT. Wayne just falls on his ass in the missed catch animation.

What the hell is that. I don't understand how Madden gets away with s*** like that. I don't understand who it's acceptable for the AI to always jump the the play or route even though I just hiked the ball. You know it's like the producers just gave up on creating a real football game and said, we are just going to put cheese to counteract the user cheese. No one will care because we have the NFL license.
What pisses you off is that it says "EA Sports" on the cover. This is the finest video football game ever made...it blows 2K5 out of the water and it blows APF out of the water.
I'm sorry, but Jrod is absolutely right. The passing game in Madden is borderline broken as a result of the DB AI design decisions. Go into the replays and watch how defenders respond with the ball in the air. They consistently-and I mean like on every play-break away from their coverage responsibilities and attack the ball even when they have their back to the action. Balls get intercepted or knocked loose that no defender would ever, ever be able to get to. A perfect example- I threw a pass to Heath Miller, who was sitting in a hole in the zone. Ray Lewis is five yards away and facing in the other direction, yet he is able to run backwards, spin and jar the ball loose in the one second it took for the pass to get in. It was a completely impossible play, but it happens in Madden all the time. It's how the defensive AI works. In APF, if a defender is facing the quarterback when the ball is thrown, he'll break on it; if he's not looking at the quarterback, he won't. But Madden uses cheap AI and players react to the ball regardless of their position, their facing or anything else. It's not just an aesthetic issue, either. You can't use route combinations that would work in real life because in Madden, the defenders are able to cover multiple routes at once thanks to the eyes in the back of their head.

On comeback routes against man coverage, if you throw the ball before the receiver makes his break, so both receiver and defender are running upfield with their backs to the ball-the defender will turn and break on it, while the receiver won't, even though the receiver is supposed to know the route and the defender isn't. I've had plays where on a jump ball the corner jumped straight up in the air, missed the ball, but then magically zoomed forward to knock it out of the hands of the defender. Again, the corner starts off by jumping straight up in the air, misses the ball, and then, at the apex of his jump, gravitates two or three yards upfield to make a play on a ball he missed. This stuff happens over and over. The end stats may come out okay, but it's very defintely a case of designing for effect rather than for cause.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about this Madden. It's by far the best of the next-gen versions, and there are some things that it does really well. But the passing game is not one of them, and that's a pretty big deal.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Good post, Seanmac. I've been playing a lot this week since I'm on vacation and I'm seeing the same things.

The DB play is cheap and the equivalent of super-goalies of the NHL 2K series of a few years ago. I'm not saying the game is not fun. I'm not saying it has to be realistic to be fun. I'm just saying that they "fixed" the defensive AI by cheating. IMO, it makes the game much more arcade. Again, that is fine for a lot of people. I'd rather have cheating AI than dumb AI...but let's not pretend that they couldn't do a lot better.

The good news with the fumbles and the interceptions is that it is at least *fair.* It's las if every defender is playing like a defender on the cheating All-Madden level from a few years ago. You at least have 10 (AI-controlled) guys on *your* team that are psychic as well.

I'm still enjoying it as much as any other football game since NFL 2K4 and if they can patch the fumbles and lower the amount of picks (and don't even care if the stone-handed Ike Taylor-like DBs return to do so) then I will probably play it hundreds of times.

I picked up the PSP version at Costco today. I'll try it later.

I also have to say that playing on rookie mode this afternoon on the same team as my 4 1/2 year old son was GREAT fun. It only took him about 5 offsides penalties to realize that you need to wait for the snap. I usually have him control the HB and I tell him the direction of the run or to go out for a pass. He scored a couple TDs and his reaction was priceless. We beat the Browns 21-3...not sure if rookie is to easy or if I should play against another team :lol:
Last edited by Leebo33 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Some positives:

-The OL/DL interaction is much better than any Madden before it. It actually is fun to use weapons defensive linemen rather than an exercise in frustration. The pocket is much better (although not as good as APF), and quarterbacks move well within it.

-Blitzes actually work as they are designed. You can fire and forget some of the seven man blitzes, confident that the blitzers are going to get through rather than getting hung up in the wash.

-Front seven play feels much more dynamic. Brick wall linebackers are terrific at coming up and thumping backs. It's also great to see guys spinning off blocks rather than getting sucked in.

-There is a definite difference in the velocity of throws from the different quarterbacks. Palmer can fit the ball into windows that Charlie Frye just can't (DB AI allowing). You also see some variety in spirals depending on how the ball comes out of the QB's hand.

-I like the playbooks, particularly the new lead motion plays. I know they were in NCAA as well, but they seem both more prevalent and more useful here.

Random note:

-As smooth as the game generally is, it has some really weird herky-jerkiness at times. It almost seems to move at different speeds over the course of any given play. The speed of passing plays also seems weird; there's something not right about the speed of the ball in the air vis-a-vis the speed of the receivers and corners.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Leebo33 wrote:Good post, Seanmac. I've been playing a lot this week since I'm on vacation and I'm seeing the same things.

The DB play is cheap and the equivalent of super-goalies of the NHL 2K series of a few years ago. I'm not saying the game is not fun. I'm not saying it has to be realistic to be fun. I'm just saying that they "fixed" the defensive AI by cheating. IMO, it makes the game much more arcade. Again, that is fine for a lot of people. I'd rather have cheating AI than dumb AI...but let's not pretend that they couldn't do a lot better.

The good news with the fumbles and the interceptions is that it is at least *fair.* It's las if every defender is playing like a defender on the cheating All-Madden level from a few years ago. You at least have 10 (AI-controlled) guys on *your* team that are psychic as well.
I would agree with that. On the one hand, I prefer having the honest DB of APF, warts and all- at least it presents you with the possibility of coming up with a football solution (the corners respond much better to the ball in off coverage, but most people steadfastly refuse to play off). But there's something to be said for Madden's DBs keeping both players on a level playing field. I'm also fine with the upped number of turnovers as a design decision. It introduces more randomness than is traditionally present in video football games, and I think it does a better job of capturing the feel of the game.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

So, Pro is too easy. All Pro makes passing near impossible (that is, any passes OVER 15 yeards get smacked down). I've tried cranking down the CPU D-awareness & protection(i think that what it's called) to 40. No difference.

Where do u guys have it set?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

greggsand wrote:So, Pro is too easy. All Pro makes passing near impossible (that is, any passes OVER 15 yeards get smacked down). I've tried cranking down the CPU D-awareness & protection(i think that what it's called) to 40. No difference.

Where do u guys have it set?
All-Pro and All-Madden should be called Cheating 08. If I can't get pro to play a better game, I'm going to give up on Madden.

Only reason I went to pro is because a few years ago, Madden and NCAA played sublime on Pro.

I'll post a pro slider set tonight that I'm using.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

seanmac31 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:
JRod wrote:Here's what pisses my off about Madden that makes the whole game, the AI, and the experience questionable. What's really going on underneath the hood when you see the following.

The play I call has Nate Wayne running a fly down the left side of the field. The 4th WR is running a slant to pull the Safety off of the play. As the plays develops everything is going like planned. I lob the ball to Wayne who's in a one-on-one situation. As the ball gets near the Wayne, the DB who has his back to the play stays with his back to the play but circles backward to get in front of the WR. He jumps for the INT but jetpacks right in front of wayne to get the INT. Wayne just falls on his ass in the missed catch animation.

What the hell is that. I don't understand how Madden gets away with s*** like that. I don't understand who it's acceptable for the AI to always jump the the play or route even though I just hiked the ball. You know it's like the producers just gave up on creating a real football game and said, we are just going to put cheese to counteract the user cheese. No one will care because we have the NFL license.
What pisses you off is that it says "EA Sports" on the cover. This is the finest video football game ever made...it blows 2K5 out of the water and it blows APF out of the water.
I'm sorry, but Jrod is absolutely right. The passing game in Madden is borderline broken as a result of the DB AI design decisions. Go into the replays and watch how defenders respond with the ball in the air. They consistently-and I mean like on every play-break away from their coverage responsibilities and attack the ball even when they have their back to the action. Balls get intercepted or knocked loose that no defender would ever, ever be able to get to. A perfect example- I threw a pass to Heath Miller, who was sitting in a hole in the zone. Ray Lewis is five yards away and facing in the other direction, yet he is able to run backwards, spin and jar the ball loose in the one second it took for the pass to get in. It was a completely impossible play, but it happens in Madden all the time. It's how the defensive AI works. In APF, if a defender is facing the quarterback when the ball is thrown, he'll break on it; if he's not looking at the quarterback, he won't. But Madden uses cheap AI and players react to the ball regardless of their position, their facing or anything else. It's not just an aesthetic issue, either. You can't use route combinations that would work in real life because in Madden, the defenders are able to cover multiple routes at once thanks to the eyes in the back of their head.

On comeback routes against man coverage, if you throw the ball before the receiver makes his break, so both receiver and defender are running upfield with their backs to the ball-the defender will turn and break on it, while the receiver won't, even though the receiver is supposed to know the route and the defender isn't. I've had plays where on a jump ball the corner jumped straight up in the air, missed the ball, but then magically zoomed forward to knock it out of the hands of the defender. Again, the corner starts off by jumping straight up in the air, misses the ball, and then, at the apex of his jump, gravitates two or three yards upfield to make a play on a ball he missed. This stuff happens over and over. The end stats may come out okay, but it's very defintely a case of designing for effect rather than for cause.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about this Madden. It's by far the best of the next-gen versions, and there are some things that it does really well. But the passing game is not one of them, and that's a pretty big deal.
I don't consider that a bad thing since the overall package is so good. That's why in NFL2K5 I never cared about the DB play, since the game as the whole was so fun to play.

Maybe it's a good thing the DB's do this in madden. If they didn't , the majority of scores would probably be 124 - 123.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Any PC impressions?

Thanks,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Slumberland wrote:That's what I figured. Maybe in a couple days, if it holds up deeper into my franchise against different defenses.
NP...I didnt think of the spolier angle. Ireally dont want or need to know.

I have a feeling (hope?)that it wont over the longhaul.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

pk500 wrote:Any PC impressions?

Thanks,
PK
From what I've read, there are those on OS who claim it's the holy grail of football games. Very positive reviews at this point.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Thanks,
PK
In progress...LOL. :lol: Probably tomorrow.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

How many minutes are we setting the qtrs at?

Ive been using 7 and Im not getting nearly enough plays. Only had 38 in the last game. Granted Im learning the plays and taking alot of time between plays but 39 is not nearly enough.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

XXXIV wrote:How many minutes are we setting the qtrs at?

Ive been using 7 and Im not getting nearly enough plays. Only had 38 in the last game. Granted Im learning the plays and taking alot of time between plays but 39 is not nearly enough.
8-9 seems good. That's still probably a bit short but good enough.

One thing about CPU interceptions NOT user thrown ints. I think the QB accuracy makes more of difference than the INT slider. The INT slider might just be all show this year because it doesn't do much.

Anyway, I'm bouncing between all-pro and pro. The CPU QBs on pro just throw stupid stupid passes. On pro, Manning throwis to Champs side and it keeps getting picked off. All-pro seems better but you will see more user thrown picks because the AI will rocket-pack jump on some INTs. I think its managable on all-pro. Picks will be high this year.

Ok here's what I'm doing for sliders. If you are looking for some sliders that are tested with 10 games with different match-ups and put into a spreadsheet to get the mean of the stats -- these aren't it. The only slider testing I do, is to change them as I play the game. They could be off and probably are.

This set is solely to limit USER on Defense INTS, not human offense INTs. And I'm only listing stuff I changed.

Human offense

CPU Offense
85 QB Accuracy

Hum Defense
0 Awareness
85 Knockdown
0 INTs <----- This slider is about as useful as a rubber testicle

CPU Defense
Awareness 0
Knockdowns 0
INTs 0

Special teams
Hum/CPU Kickoff Power 15-25. * 95% of the kick-offs result in touchbacks.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

sh1t, game hasn't even been out 24 hours and we're doing sliders already?

Can we just make a separate slider thread for this game so that the rest of us don't have to be put into slider depression?

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I crank the defense CPU's to zero & could actually complete some passes over 10 yards!

get ready for some good old ps vs ea mudslinging...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ ... op;title;3

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

greggsand wrote:I crank the defense CPU's to zero & could actually complete some passes over 10 yards!

get ready for some good old ps vs ea mudslinging...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_ ... op;title;3
After seeing "The Show" and F1 Championship, this is EA's fault.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm 100% convinced the AI gets a boost after halftime on All-Pro. Every f'n game I play, I hang all first half and am usually leading slightly...then get spanked like hell in the 2nd half. This is annoying. Guess I'm gonna have to be a p&ssy and go with Pro.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've been playing on Pro as well so far.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

Thanks,
PK
In progress...LOL. :lol: Probably tomorrow.
As is the PSP version for me. :wink: You still digging it db?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

JRod wrote: 0 INTs <----- This slider is about as useful as a rubber testicle
I believe you mean a Neuticle:
http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html

I don't have the game (won't be playing anything for several months until my hand heals) but wanted to contribute.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:As is the PSP version for me. :wink: You still digging it db?
Yes...it's an awesome handheld football game. I wasn't aware that you could 'obtain' PSP games.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

EZSnappin wrote:I believe you mean a Neuticle:
http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html

I don't have the game (won't be playing anything for several months until my hand heals) but wanted to contribute.
And what a contribution it was. LOL.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I'm 100% convinced the AI gets a boost after halftime on All-Pro. Every f'n game I play, I hang all first half and am usually leading slightly...then get spanked like hell in the 2nd half. This is annoying. Guess I'm gonna have to be a p&ssy and go with Pro.
I don't think it is. I'm 3-1 with the Browns on AP and after your humiliating win over me in NCAA last year, I know it's not user brilliance. I just dink and dunk the CPU to death, control the clock, and 'earn' my gamely 2 or 3 INTs off the CPU and usually win. Leigh Bodden is going to have the best season in the history of the NFL for a corner.

Deion who?
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Bill_Abner wrote:I don't think it is. I'm 3-1 with the Browns on AP and after your humiliating win over me in NCAA last year, I know it's not user brilliance. I just dink and dunk the CPU to death, control the clock, and 'earn' my gamely 2 or 3 INTs off the CPU and usually win.
It's not even that I'm getting daring. I try to run the ball and all of my blockers get blown up and I'm losing yardage on every play. I try to mix in some play action, and my QB gets sacked before he even has a chance to fake the handoff. It's not like I'm using sh*tty offensive lines or anything either. I've played games with a bunch of different teams and it just seems to be biased. I don't know...

I was the Ravens...leading 9-6 going to half. In the first three min. of the 2nd half, I gave up two fumbles when their linemen blow McGahee up in the backfield, and a 3 and out where I gained exactly -7 yards. All of the sudden, two Tds and a field goal later I'm down 23-9. I hung tough the rest of the half and lost 23 to 19, but still. It's some weird spike after halftime...I don't know what the hell it is. Oh yeah, and the only INT I had was on a ball that was jarred loose from the receiver trying to make a leaping catch, so it was a complete fluke.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Leebo33 wrote:
I picked up the PSP version at Costco today. I'll try it later.
Please post some impressions up when you can Leebo, as well as anyone else who has the PSP version. I know DB said he liked it but I really haven't found any detailed impressions of the PSP version around anywhere else.

I'm especially interested to hear about the DB play and passing game as the cheap DB play that Seanmac and others are seeing in the 360 version has been my main problem with Madden for many years. Its a shame because they really toned that down for 06 and 07 but its back and worse than I've ever seen. I played the 360 version for the first time today at a buddy's house and I have absolutely zero interest in ever playing it again. I just can't play a football game that plays nothing like the sport once the ball is in the air. It makes reading coverages and route running absolutely pointless.

I really hope the PSP version doesn't suffer from this.