OT: Racing 2007 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't know if anyone here had a chance to watch the Assen MotoGP race. Truly an electrifying race and win for Rossi who started from 11th and closed in on Casey Stoner and took the lead with 3 laps to go. Wow what a thrilling race. That's why MotoGP is the most exciting from of motor racing right now. :D

And our boy Nicky Hayden had a great start and finished 3rd for a podium finish.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Indeed. A GREAT race despite CBS' horrible commentary. Watched it last Sunday.

Agree on your assessment of MotoGP, too. It gets no better in circuit racing worldwide.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Indeed. A GREAT race despite CBS' horrible commentary. Watched it last Sunday.

Agree on your assessment of MotoGP, too. It gets no better in circuit racing worldwide.

Take care,
PK
Eurosport Rocks ! .....nuff said. :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Indeed. A GREAT race despite CBS' horrible commentary. Watched it last Sunday.

Take care,
PK
Eurosport Rocks ! .....nuff said. :D
Oh, yeah. Moody and Mamola are killer. I often grab the Eurosport feed in a torrent.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeehaw MotoGP next year in the USAAAAAAAAAA. :D

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/ ... 0638.shtml

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Yeehaw MotoGP next year in the USAAAAAAAAAA. :D

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/ ... 0638.shtml
There's already MGP in the USA -- at Laguna Seca. Now it appears there will be two MGP races in the Colonies. :)

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You're right PK I forgot about LS. Man I can't wait to see Rossi, Hayden, Stoner and Co. at Indy next year. :D

PK, do you have any info on what the changes to the track will look like?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK, do you have any info on what the changes to the track will look like?
My lips are sealed. ;)

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ok let me rephrase the question. Do you like what you've seen so far from the revised layout? :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Ok let me rephrase the question. Do you like what you've seen so far from the revised layout? :D
I love my job. My lips are sealed. :)

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn your a tough nut to crack. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

***Huge Spoiler****

British Qualy

Hamilton is freakin amazing

Hamilton on Pole
Kimi 2nd
Alonzo 3rd
Massa 4th

Should be a great race with lots of drama :D

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

That was an electric qualifying session. I thought Kimi stole it with that last lap of his and the Hamilton came through yet again. The British crowd only enjoyed that a little bit :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well done, Lewis: You are P1. :)

Take care,
PK

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Blinding lap from Lewis, but Kimi had pole in his pocket had he not driven through the gravel coming out of Luffield. It's pretty finely-poised for tomorrow, this one, and it'll be interesting to see who carries what fuel load, especially given how McLaren's strategy panned out in France.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Bumped for the TK-Sams dustup at the Glen on Sunday and the 2008 USGP being apparently off the F1 calendar, at least at Indy.

I'm waiting for Arni's take on the fight, but it's getting pretty common to see off-track activities get more attention than the race again. If two wrongs don't make a right, three certainly don't. It'll be mildly interesting to see what repercussions happen, either in terms of drivers (unlikely to be anything more than probation) or hangers-on. I'd much rather see one great IRL race this season because on-track action has been lacking so far IMHO.

I hope the USGP absence is temporary. It's hard for me to get overexcited about BE/TG machinations. At some point, they'll probably figure out they need each other. The Speedway is the logical home for the race; no other US roadcourse has the infrastructure needed to host a modern F1 event. Road America or Road Atlanta would be more suitable from a racing perspective, but neither has a prayer of putting a deal together. Road America would have to be emasculated to support F1. The idea of a USGP-Las Vegas appeals to me just because of cheap airfare and hotel rooms. The racing would likely suck but since when has F1 been about racing?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

No shocker to PK but it's been revealed that F1 is not on the calendar for next year. I maybe in the minority but I say don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Bernie and F1....good riddance.

The racing was average at best and who can forget about the 2005 fiasco. I'm glad F1 is gone and MotoGP is coming to Indy, that's the best racing entertainment value in the world. I can't wait to see Hopkins, Hayden and Co next year.

F1 has too big an ego for my own good. If the racing was on par with the 60's thru 80's i'd be pissed, but it's not even close. So no love loss, shove it Bernie. :D

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Yeah, not a surprise on Indy being gone from F1, but it is sad. As much as I love Road Atlanta, there is no way F1 could ever go there. I was really hoping to take my son to Indy next year for F1 as he is becoming a Lewis Hamilton fan. Guess I will just have to take him to MotoGP instead!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I hope the door DOES hit him on the way out! :lol:

Bernie has done his share of damage, but F1 has become it's own worst enemy too. The cars are engineering marvels, but not much else. One of the announcers during the French Grand Prix said that the cars produce so much downforce that at 75mph it could stick to the ceiling. So we have 200mph vacuum cleaners.

I love the tracks, and it's no doubt a spectacle, but no love lost on it leaving the States.

And here's a small anecdote in case Bernie and the boys are listening. I took a friend to the USGP a few years ago for his first ever auto race. As we were heading home, he said "man, I thought the Porsche race (the Pirelli Supercup cars) was a lot more exciting than the F1 cars." And this was the race where Ralf hurt his back. F1 has lots of drama... just not much racing.

Bring on the bikes, and get A1GP in there as well. Heck, call up the Grand Am guys too!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gurantsu wrote:I hope the door DOES hit him on the way out! :lol:

Bernie has done his share of damage, but F1 has become it's own worst enemy too. The cars are engineering marvels, but not much else. One of the announcers during the French Grand Prix said that the cars produce so much downforce that at 75mph it could stick to the ceiling. So we have 200mph vacuum cleaners.

I love the tracks, and it's no doubt a spectacle, but no love lost on it leaving the States.

Bring on the bikes, and get A1GP in there as well. Heck, call up the Grand Am guys too!

The downforce is a farce because it's all produced from wings and winglets and other aero crap on the cars. The result is horrible for racing as a show. Once a car catches another in the slipstream it becomes difficult to control the car or worse yet pass unless as Felipe Massa said your going twice the speed of the car in front.

What F1 needs is what the McLaren chief said last week. F1 needs to rely more on ground effects rather than junk aero parts which produces a car parade nothing more. F1 needs to get back to basics instead of putting more bandaids on the cut. Put slicks on the damn cars, smaller front tires, rely more on ground effects to produce downforce and then we'll see real racing return to F1.

Wrt to MotoGP, amen brother bring it on. :D

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The McLaren news is major and can have serious ramifications in both the drivers and constructors championships. Some of the F1 websites even hint that if McLaren is found guilty by the World Sporting Council they could face disqualifications for both their drivers. It all seems to revolve around the suspended McLaren employee who had at his home 780 pages of Ferrari technical material and he's talking to the WSC about all he knows.

It's pretty serious and something to watch out for.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I can understand why the FIA is investigating McLaren. But why doesn't it clamp down hard as hard on Ferrari? It takes two to tango, and Ferrari should be held just as responsible for Stepney leaking the documents as McLaren is for Coughlan accepting them.

But of course, Ferrari is damn near untouchable by the FIA. After all, FIA is an acronym for:

Ferrari
International
Aid

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So according to the Indystar we find the real reasons for the USGP being dropped from the F1 calendar. For starters how about a $30 million per year fee to host the guest from hell vs $3 million to host the MotoGP race which has more action.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 2/SPORTS01

Good riddance to F1 see ya and don't come back ! :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

Go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com at 3:30 p.m. (ET) if you want to watch today's announcement live.

Take care,
PK