OT: Live Earth

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Live Earth

Post by JackB1 »

Some great performances today. especially liked Alicia Keys and Keith Urban doing Gimme Shelter. The Chili Peppers rocked as usual. Looking forward to Chris Cornell and Smashing Pumpkins.

***edited to be less "preachy"***
On the topic of "Climate Change", the Live Earth show had some interesting suggestions on simple, easy suggestions on ways to be "greener". Here are a few:

-walk, bike and take the train more
-keep your tire pressures up (increases MPG)
-only fly when you absolutley have to (vacation close to home)
-dont leave the water running while brushing your teeth or shaving
-dont buy products that came from overseas
Last edited by JackB1 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

I already try to do all of those things. But what about my Xbox 360, HDTV, 5.1 surround receiver, Gaming PC, LCD Monitor, Force Feedback steering wheel, etc that run most evenings and a lot of the weekend at my house? I guess we should all find another hobby. :oops:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I've stopped taking my private jet to work.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

f*** off jack!!!! geez.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

I only flush the toilet once a week,whether it needs it or not.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:f*** off jack!!!! geez.
what the heck's your problem?

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Be civil, people.

BigAl
Mario Mendoza

Re: OT: Live Earth

Post by BigAl »

JackB1 wrote: -walk, bike and take the train more
-dont buy products that came from overseas

the planet is changing......it's no joke. we all can make a difference in it's future.
Hope you're walking your 360 back to wherever you bought it.

Got to flush my toilet again...

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Nothing wrong with thinking a little green guys. We did a few little things around my house in the past few months and have actually seen lower electric bills. Not a lot mind you, but every little bit helps.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

China didn't get the memo.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JackDog wrote:China didn't get the memo.
Exactly! China is the worse offender of all in regards to pollution in general.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

JackB1 wrote:
Yes they are.

The only way to stop em is war. :wink:

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Macca00 wrote:I've stopped taking my private jet to work.
LOL. You're a better man than me, but at least I'm guilt-free with all the carbon credits I've invested in.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JackB1 wrote:
You're not kidding. As I was leaving the Beijing airport towards my hotel, it felt like an oven outside and you could hardly breath with all that smog. I don't know how those bikers make it into the city. But at least the concert also took its place in Shanghai, so hopefully the government will try to do something positive.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Just got through shooting some fireworks, and burning some styrofoam cups in the air for the finale, went to the bathroom and used up a whole roll of toilet paper, then drove my SUV to WAL MART to get more, flattened my tires so I could use more fuel, and ate some of those flatulent cows for dinner. It was a good day...

Of course, I'm joking (mostly), but it's about par with this Live Earth stuff. You know they said today that the LE thing is putting tons of carbon into the air. Funny...and how many of the stars flew in on private or even corporate jets, and were carried to the event in Cadillac Escalades? Anyone show up on a bicycle or in a car powered by water or electricity? I think not.

Glad you're enjoying the show, jack, but the hypocricy would be enough to keep me away for a lifetime. It's an incredible farce...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Good show, but Gore can take it up the ass.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Over the past few months, I've discovered lurking consumes 1/10th as much energy as posting, and more importantly, it generates less than 1% or the carbon based waste contained in my posts.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

tealboy03 wrote:Of course, I'm joking (mostly), but it's about par with this Live Earth stuff. You know they said today that the LE thing is putting tons of carbon into the air. Funny...and how many of the stars flew in on private or even corporate jets, and were carried to the event in Cadillac Escalades? Anyone show up on a bicycle or in a car powered by water or electricity? I think not.
Live Earth is actually carbon neutral, and they're doing a bunch of things to minimize the impact from things like transport, garbage, etc.
To maintain its green integrity, Live Earth is implementing "green event guidelines" for its concerts. The guidelines were issued with support from the U.S. Green Building Council; John Picard, a former-member of President Clinton's Green White House task force, is leading the efforts.

The guidelines are: all electricity that powers the shows will be from renewable sources; concessionaires will be encouraged to use suppliers of biodegradable plastics; waste will be minimized through recycling and reuse; venue offices will use as little energy as possible; production lighting will include the use of LED light bulbs; staff and artist air travel will be offset through carbon credits; and ground travel will be by hybrid or high-efficiency vehicles where possible.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Macca00 wrote:I've stopped taking my private jet to work.
LOL....

Guess I better start booking my travel on a cargo freighter to West Africa....damn, I would either be on the boat or in West Africa working and no time at home.....oops, cargo freighters use fossil fuels....scratch that....

....Guess get with Richard Branson and hitch a ride on his next hot air balloon ride...oops, that uses fossil fuels as well....damn....

Guess the only other option is to swim to West Africa......um, yeah right....

In all seriousness, I get the intent of these kinds of initiatives and they are right-minded in that intent. However, these initiatives have to be combined with reason and practicality and it is more of a change of mindset for a this generation that has become so reliant and spoiled with abundant energy sources. I am all for the "green" initiative and have implemented "green" ideas for years at my home and in my work and travels, but there are limitations to this. Here's hoping the limitations to implementing reasonable alternatives picks up pace and becomes more readily approachable sooner than later.....

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Jared wrote:staff and artist air travel will be offset through carbon credits
I wish weight loss worked like that. I could just buy some credits from someone like my wife that doesn't eat a lot. Everyone wins...well, except I don't get any skinnier!

That's what rubs people the wrong way. It's OK to pollute or use a lot of energy as long as you have enough money to buy some credits. You...the ones that want to drive to Disneyworld and buy those foreign goods...too bad...no credits for you! Feel free to drive to our concert though.

It's kind of like in the Hotels when they ask you to "save the planet" by using the same towel over again. How about giving me a f*cking few bucks off my $220 bill as a little incentive.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

JackB1 wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:f*** off jack!!!! geez.
what the heck's your problem?
The preacheness of this thread what do you think.
Im sure youll be practicing all those things next week.

"walk, bike and take the train more "
Cant take my tools on a train or bike and f***ed if im walking them 60 miles 1 way.

"-keep your tire pressures up (increases MPG) "
with all nails i have in my tires id have to check them every hr, dont think so

"only fly when you absolutley have to (vacation close to home) "
If i did that it wouldnt be a vacation.

-"dont leave the water running while brushing your teeth or shaving"
Im English i dont brush my teeth.

-"dont buy products that came from overseas "
What excactly does America make again ?

Dont you drive a toyota ?

Err im gonna carry on as usual thanks anyways.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

What bothers me about this is that we have a bunch of people telling me to use less water, electricity, gas etc.

Real change will only happen when new housing developments in airid states don't put grass lawns. When we have 50 mpg SUVs or hybrids that are mandated by the government. When coporations are forced to change emissions through government regulations.

Real change will come when governments make wide sweeping changes. They don't want to because anything that costs them more money they are against. And it's not yet profitable to become green.

Live earth is stupid attempt for macro change on a mirco level. Macro changes will only occur when governments create standards for the main causes of pollution.

One of the tips was actually comical. You can save 1 tank of gas by having your tires to the air pressure. WTF. Yet where's the pressure not to sell SUVs like the Ford Expedition.

Live earth was stupid. All it accomplished was that global warming is happening.

And the reason why global warming turned into climate change was because Bush changed the term. He hired a consultant to change the term to make it sound less scary.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Thank god it's come and gone and the world keeps spinning on its axis.

It's a serious issue that demands more attention, but a parade of boy band acts and celebrity pronouncements probably aren't the way to do it. Chris Rock said it best, "I pray that this event ends global warming the same way that Live Aid ended world hunger."

The more the issue becomes linked to Gore and fuzzy-headed events like this the harder it's going to be to convince folks it's a real, serious, problem they should be concerned about. The long-term nature of the issue is going to make it tough for folks to take seriously under the best of circumstances.

One thing is certain - Al has an ego that knows no bounds. Apparently "inventing" the Internet wasn't enough, he now wants credit for "discovering" global warming.

That said, I wouldn't have minded seeing the Beasties.

And JRod, as much as I'd like to believe the Bush story, the two terms have been interchanged long before he took the stage. They both have distinct meanings in the science.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Leebo33 wrote:
That's what rubs people the wrong way. It's OK to pollute or use a lot of energy as long as you have enough money to buy some credits.
It's a complete joke. So for this one night their "performance" includes pretending to actually be doing all they can to save the Earth. Today I'm sure they're all back to their private Jets, limos, and energy-sucking mansions. I'll start believeing these hyprocrites once I see them start practicing what they preach.
-Matt

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Leebo33 wrote:
I wish weight loss worked like that. I could just buy some credits from someone like my wife that doesn't eat a lot. Everyone wins...well, except I don't get any skinnier!

That's what rubs people the wrong way. It's OK to pollute or use a lot of energy as long as you have enough money to buy some credits. You...the ones that want to drive to Disneyworld and buy those foreign goods...too bad...no credits for you! Feel free to drive to our concert though.

It's kind of like in the Hotels when they ask you to "save the planet" by using the same towel over again. How about giving me a f*cking few bucks off my $220 bill as a little incentive.
Bingo. A carbon credit is as useless as a pet rock. It's like saying "I won't bust one in your mouth"and you do. There's no taking it back. You just pay the ho and go see the rest of Hamburg. :lol: :wink:
Over the past few months, I've discovered lurking consumes 1/10th as much energy as posting, and more importantly, it generates less than 1% or the carbon based waste contained in my posts.
:lol: :lol:

The more the issue becomes linked to Gore and fuzzy-headed events like this the harder it's going to be to convince folks it's a real, serious, problem they should be concerned about. The long-term nature of the issue is going to make it tough for folks to take seriously under the best of circumstances.
Glad you're enjoying the show, jack, but the hypocricy would be enough to keep me away for a lifetime. It's an incredible farce...
Good show, but Gore can take it up the ass.
Yep.
And JRod, as much as I'd like to believe the Bush story, the two terms have been interchanged long before he took the stage. They both have distinct meanings in the science.
I don't know bro. Bush can make hurricanes that only hit black folks. That's power.

In all seriousness, I get the intent of these kinds of initiatives and they are right-minded in that intent. However, these initiatives have to be combined with reason and practicality and it is more of a change of mindset for a this generation that has become so reliant and spoiled with abundant energy sources. I am all for the "green" initiative and have implemented "green" ideas for years at my home and in my work and travels, but there are limitations to this. Here's hoping the limitations to implementing reasonable alternatives picks up pace and becomes more readily approachable sooner than later.....
No doubt. I agree.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]