MLB Off-Season Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Templehorn
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Templehorn »

Yankees get 2008 ASG, last season at remodeled yankee stadium.

Good article about how the current yankee stadium sucks compared to the 'real' yankee stadium pre 1975.

http://www.nysun.com/article/46801

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I think this sums up why I hate the off-season as a Twins fan -

To fill out their rotation, the Twins have made two signings, Sidney Ponson (to a minor league deal) and Ramon freaking Ortiz ($3.1 mil deal, who the f else was bidding?). The team clearly learned nothing from the Tony Batista signing last year.

Watch out Tigers, your new guy Sheffield is in trouble against these two.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Braves signed Chris Woodward and Craig Wilson....so I don't want to hear it. The only improvements they made were to the bully, but they had to get rid of three everyday starters from last year to do it.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

For those that haven't heard, ESPN radio this morning reported that DirecTV and the MLB have reached a programming agreement that would take Extra Innings off of all cable networks and Dish Network, making it a DirecTV exclusive for, I think, the next seven years.

Nothing like making sure fewer people are able to see your product. :x
---Todd

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

ubrakto wrote:For those that haven't heard, ESPN radio this morning reported that DirecTV and the MLB have reached a programming agreement that would take Extra Innings off of all cable networks and Dish Network, making it a DirecTV exclusive for, I think, the next seven years.

---Todd
Are you kidding me? :x

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

ubrakto wrote:For those that haven't heard, ESPN radio this morning reported that DirecTV and the MLB have reached a programming agreement that would take Extra Innings off of all cable networks and Dish Network, making it a DirecTV exclusive for, I think, the next seven years.

---Todd
That is freaking crazy. Don't even get me started on DirecTV. This is b.s. :evil:

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

First the NFL Network and now this MLB deal. The day is coming when you not only will have to have deep pockets to go to games, but you will need deep pockets just to gain access to the networks needed to watch games on TV.

I guess what Jeff Fluhr of Stubhub says about fans is going to be true: The best fans are the ones who spend the most money on the tickets.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Doesn't bother me one bit...because DirecTV is the way to go in North America if you're a sports fan. My dad isn't too happy though since he's a Dish subscriber and he needs the Braves games as well. He wants to stick his Slingbox on one of my receivers so he can watch the games now, lol...that is hilarious.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Now DirecTV can charge anything they want for the package. I had the package one year, and thought it was pretty good for what I was paying. But if they charge more, they should work with the MLB to get rid of these stupid blackout rules. Depending on where you live, you can have 4-5 teams blacked out.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Personally, I lucked out in that I already have DirecTV (re-signed up with a new dish and their new DVR in October), but I'd be pissed in a big way if were a Dish or Comcast subscriber.

I understand the MLB and NFL get a boatload of money from DirecTV to go this route, but I'll just never understand the logic that says it's better for these leagues to cut off so many people from their potential audience.

Many people can't get DirecTV even if they want Extra Innings badly enough to change service; those that live on rental property that restrict satellite dish installations (or have apartments without a view of the right part of the sky) are just cut off, even if they're willing to pay.
---Todd

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I wouldn't mind this if Dish services down here(Dish or DTV) wouldn't suck.

You need some big ass anthenas for the service not to get f***ed up if there's just a bit of rain.

I had a very bad experience with Dish Networks and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the same problems with DTV if I decide to switch to them. Plus they still don't even offer a HD DVR in PR.

Ugh.... :x

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

T. Helton's days in Colorado could soon be over. If the deal goes through, Bosox will have the best hitting team in the league. Still, Baseball is totally out of control. At the current pace, salaries will end up eating up more than 75% of known revenues by the year 2010.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=194048&hubname=mlb

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

17 days until pitchers and catchers report! :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Fox's preseason power rankings, for whatever they're worth...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

Interesting that 4 out of the top 7 teams are from the AL Central.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Cool article I found on the Dodgers Site about Valentine's DAy and Baseball:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... p&c_id=mlb

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

lexbur wrote:Fox's preseason power rankings, for whatever they're worth...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

Interesting that 4 out of the top 7 teams are from the AL Central.
Those rankings are just plain silly. The Mets are without question "the class of the NL." :lol:
Indians #2? Is this guy serious? Classic media type buffoon.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

Diablo25 wrote:Indians #2? Is this guy serious? Classic media type buffoon.
Yeah, you got that right. What's this guy smokin'? Everyone knows the Tribe should be ranked #1. :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

lexbur wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Indians #2? Is this guy serious? Classic media type buffoon.
Yeah, you got that right. What's this guy smokin'? Everyone knows the Tribe should be ranked #1. :D
Don't get me wrong, I like the Tribe but #2? My Phillies are #15...again, comical. I realize I will be biased with my team but they should be higher than 15th. I was expecting something like anywhere from #5 to #9. The teams with pitching will be standing in the end and I think you can make the argument that the Phils rotation is in the top 3 in the NL...certainly top 5. That is my biggest reason why I think the Mets being the "class of the NL" is a joke. Their rotation is mediocre. Outside of Glavine who do they have that is proven? Their lineup is tough but without a solid rotation they aren't winning anything. Teams like the Cards, Dodgers and Cubs scare me far more than the Mets. Plus I hate the Mets :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Diablo25 wrote:
lexbur wrote:
Diablo25 wrote: That is my biggest reason why I think the Mets being the "class of the NL" is a joke. Their rotation is mediocre. Outside of Glavine who do they have that is proven? Their lineup is tough but without a solid rotation they aren't winning anything.

The problem with your argument is that the Mets won... wait... CRUISED to the NL East Title and where basically 1 hit away from winning the pennant with basically the same starting rotation they will have this year.

This included almost 25 starts by the likes of Jose Lima, Alay Soler, Dave Williams and Jeremy Gonzalez.

With that said, I do believe the Phillies are more than capable of winning the East and I won't be surprised if the Mets can't keep up with them at the end if they can't get a 1-3 type pitcher via trade. Specially if Oliver Perez doesn't contribute.

We'll see.

The Phillies have been talking a TON of smack since ST began. Let's see if they can back it up.

And of course, the Braves should be right there again, specially if Chipper can stay healthy all year. Their bullpen now matches up fairly well with the Mets pen.

It's gonna be a great race.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

what the f*** is a gyroball?

and the onion...

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ex ... tintheface

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I saw a story last week about the gyroball and it was the first I ever heard of it as well.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Am I the only one who misses the World Baseball Classic this year?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

sfz_T-car wrote:Am I the only one who misses the World Baseball Classic this year?
Funny, was just talking about this with a friend today. I can appreciate the wait between tourneys, but I had a blast watching it last year...especially the games I saw in person.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
lexbur wrote:
The problem with your argument is that the Mets won... wait... CRUISED to the NL East Title and where basically 1 hit away from winning the pennant with basically the same starting rotation they will have this year.

This included almost 25 starts by the likes of Jose Lima, Alay Soler, Dave Williams and Jeremy Gonzalez.

With that said, I do believe the Phillies are more than capable of winning the East and I won't be surprised if the Mets can't keep up with them at the end if they can't get a 1-3 type pitcher via trade. Specially if Oliver Perez doesn't contribute.

We'll see.

The Phillies have been talking a TON of smack since ST began. Let's see if they can back it up.

And of course, the Braves should be right there again, specially if Chipper can stay healthy all year. Their bullpen now matches up fairly well with the Mets pen.

It's gonna be a great race.
jLp vAkEr0, I guess using the word "joke" was a bit strong :). Yes the Mets won the East last year...key word being won...past tense. I didn't say they weren't a good team. The reason they "cruised" to the NL East crown was that the rest of the division was no good. My Phils were a major bust until the Abreu trade. The Mets are a definite contender but to say they have the same rotation is just false. They are not the same team. Their offense is the same but that isn't gonna do it. I love David Wright (hate to admit that :)) and Reyes is arguably the best SS in the NL (probably is). However, their #1 ace is out until mid season...at least. Their rotation is not the same. If it were then my points above would have been totally different. In fact I would agree that they were the "class of the NL". My points weren't so much that the Mets were not good it was that no other teams, including the World Series Champs, were listed as contenders.

As far as the Phillies talking smack all spring - nope. Jimmy Rollins did say that he felt the Phillies were the team to beat in the EAST...but he also added that you still have to play the games and that the Mets were still the div. champs last year. Notice how the media didn't report that. That was the only statement that even bordered on "smack". Its all good though. I love talking/debating/arguing baseball...that means that its actually being played :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25