XBOX 360 DEAD, help

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

XBOX 360 DEAD, help

Post by Inuyasha »

I hadn't played games on my xbox 360 in a few weeks. Just dvd's no problem. Today I put in madden and first thing I noticed off the bat was a screeching noise it made while it loaded. I took it out and tried agian, same thing. 3rd time it was quiet but in the game, at the end, it made the noise again.

I then put in GOW, and now it says game disc unplayable. Did it for all my games and dvd's and same thing. Any easy solution to this? I don't get any red rings or anything like that. Just everything I put in there it says unplayable.

Am I screwed and need to call Xbox repair? If I have to get a new Xbox in the mail out of this, I will just go ahead and sell it once I get it. I've only had the system since this past November.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

Don't sound too good http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816779

when did you buy it and what ate was it made?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Just had it since november. 2 months and it crapped out on me. Not sure when it was made but it was one of the newer models.

I've read that they will replace the drive and send it back. Most of the people who've had the problem on the Xbox.com message boards are saying that it worked fine after the replacement. We'll see.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Well, this may be of no help to you, but I need to vent. I just had my 3rd 360 die on me tonight. 3 dead systems in less than one year. Helluva console MS put together. I'd recommend it to anyone. :roll:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Sully wrote:Well, this may be of no help to you, but I need to vent. I just had my 3rd 360 die on me tonight. 3 dead systems in less than one year. Helluva console MS put together. I'd recommend it to anyone. :roll:
I feel your pain. Freaking 2 months! I mean 2 months I had this thing and it's freaking gone to hell. Well, when they fix my system and send it back to me, I'll test it out and everything to make sure everything works. After that, it's going straight to ebay. I'll never buy another 360 again in my life.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Was your 360 well ventilated? And I don't mean there's room on both sides of it, I mean out-in-the-open ventilation. I think the biggest problems people are having with their 360's are heat related. If your 360 has PLENTY of room to breathe you are way less likely to have problems with it. Bottom line, if it's in an entertainment system you'll have problems.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I think its sad...After hearing the horror stories Im glad mine is still alive.

I keep the 360 and the brick far away from each other giving each room to breath....No way to have to live though. It shouldnt be up to us to keep them alive. They should come made ready to survive being used.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

My 360 is/was sitting on a glass TV stand built to hold a 60" TV. Open in the back, open on the sides, open on the front.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Yes, my 360 was well ventilated, the brick was far far away etc..

The funny thing was this screeching sound happened once before when i Had not played a game in a weeks time. I just watched movies. but after a few games, the screeching went away.

Then this time, again, I had watched movies on it for about 2 weeks without games. So when I loaded the game up last night, it screeched again but this time it killed it.

Playing dvd's for a extended time without playing games shouldnt crash systems. I dont know what to say really, I was very very mad when this occured.

But doing research on the net and xbox forums, I guess I am not alone with my problem. Others have had it happen as well and they all said they got their same xbox 360s back (not refurb version), and the console worked again. Still, stuff like this shouldn't happen when you're paying 400 bucks for a system.

I guess I am going to go back on the wii bandwagon. Hopefully that system doesn't crap out on me in 2 months time.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

i got mine in december and i am becoming p-noid about the heat issue. I have seen the after market fans but the "intercooler" by nyko is not advised since it sucks off the same power tet as the brick. I have also seen a mod that you can remove the power plug from it and change it so it runs off it own power source. I agree heat is an issue and we shouldnt have to sweat it so much.

what do you guys think about either of these mods

http://markgroot.ca/files/

http://forums.xbox.com/2/8738611/ShowPost.aspx#8738611

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I've had mine since March of 06. So far i have had no major problems but i can see the dvd drive crapping out eventually. Sometimes when i push the eject button the tray tries to eject but gets stuck. You can see it budge but it doesn't eject at all. Not even enough to use my fingernails to pull it out. After pushing the eject button a few time it will eject. Then when putting in a disc the tray will slide in and then immediately pop out. I'll try it a few times until it finally begins to read the disc.

I'm glad i have the extended warranty although i wish had bought a warranty from a B&M store. I'm really hoping it will last until the die shrink and i could convince MS to completely replace it, if it breaks of course.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

My replacement 360 just crapped out on me. I purchased the first one that I had die out in July and it crapped out on Christmas Day. Got the replacement about a week ago and the replacement died on me tonight.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Sully wrote:Well, this may be of no help to you, but I need to vent. I just had my 3rd 360 die on me tonight. 3 dead systems in less than one year. Helluva console MS put together. I'd recommend it to anyone. :roll:
Don't feel bad Sully, I have replaced FOUR 360s since September. First my launch 360 died in my gameroom, then 4 days later my 360 purchased in January died in my den. Replaced them both since I had warranties on them and thought everything was cool. Then 2 months later, my 360 in my gameroom died again so I replaced it, but refused to buy another warranty. I told the guy at EB that I was not buying another warranty because this one only lasted 2 months. He agreed and changed my warranty over to my new console without me having to buy it again. Then two weeks ago, my 360 in my den froze up a couple of times while playing Lost Planet and while I was a little scared, it kept on playing and I thought everything was fine. The next morning, I turned it on and it locked up while playing an arcade game and then it froze up for good. Got this one replaced at my local Gamestop where they must have had 10-15 defective ones in the back room.

It's funny how everyone perpetuates all these rumors about there being a PS3 recall and all the criticism it gets, yet the 360 is about as fragile as a carton of eggs. I now hold my breath everytime I turn one of my 360s on for fear that I may lose yet another one.

One thing for sure...I wouldn't be caught dead with a 360 without a warranty.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Well,

My launch 360 which had been performing perfectly from the get-go is dead as of tonight. Constant freeze-ups lately and finally the dreaded RED RING of death.

Called MS Support and they said it's out of warranty and would cost $139 to repair.

I'm holding now for a supervisor, but I won't be paying that. I'll either find a 'creative' way to replace the unit or switch to the PS3. They know there's a problem with the launch units, which is why they extended the warranties. I got lucky that mine held out this long, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to have this sucker repaired given the poor track record it has.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

If you sell it as broken on ebay, you're gonna get at least 200 back. Not that bad.

Mine is scheduled to be shipped back next week. Still not sure if I'll be keeping it or selling it on ebay. I guess depends how good MLB2k7 and NFL2K7 are.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Sorry to hear about that. I know I'm living on borrowed time as I enter my fourth month. Then again I had problems with my Thompson drive Xbox from the start, so maybe it's evening out. If it helps any, my brother had his exactly two DAYS before he got the rings of death.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I know this will throw this place into a flame war, but let me ask this question...

What if I go out and buy a new XBox 360. Set it up and use my existing Hard Drive. Package the broken one and return it to K-Mart saying that it didn't work out of the box and I therefore don't want it?

K-Mart returns it to MS, so it's MS that takes the hit. Presuming there's no reason this shouldn't work it's likely what I'll do...

I know the retail workers in the group will love this, but there is a known issue with 360 hardware, and I've been a more than loyal customer. I have every peripheral known to the system (including the HD-DVD drive). As long as K-Mart will take it back and it's MS that gets the shaft, I see this as the best course of action...

If not, I'm eBaying it and buying a PS3. Thouhts?
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I think after I get mine back this time that I'll either put it on ebay or just go ahead and take it to EB and get a PS3. I don't feel like having to keep sending it to MS if anything happens to it and be without a system for a few weeks at a time.

And as a edit to Sport's post:

If K-Mart is anything like Walmart is when it comes to selling new systems, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it (morals aside). When we sell one to a customer, all that is scanned is the UPC, not the serial number...makes for a fun time when a customer brings one back.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Well, just got my replacement unit in the mail and ran some games on it so so far so good. Drive is nice and quiet.

Now, does everyone who gets a replacment unit have it die on them in the next week or few months? Or is it a pretty good percentage that these replacement units will hold up? I know some of the stories where guys have been on their 3rd and 4th xbox 360 by ms.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

LAking wrote:I've had mine since March of 06. So far i have had no major problems but i can see the dvd drive crapping out eventually. Sometimes when i push the eject button the tray tries to eject but gets stuck. You can see it budge but it doesn't eject at all. Not even enough to use my fingernails to pull it out. After pushing the eject button a few time it will eject. Then when putting in a disc the tray will slide in and then immediately pop out. I'll try it a few times until it finally begins to read the disc.

I'm glad i have the extended warranty although i wish had bought a warranty from a B&M store. I'm really hoping it will last until the die shrink and i could convince MS to completely replace it, if it breaks of course.
Mine does excact same thing LA. Not good.