2007 NFL offseason thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

nyisles16 wrote:BREAKING NEWS: Cowboys are looking for a new coach now.. Parcells just resigned as HC & also announced his retirement from pro football
Good for Bill. That place was a circus, and would remain so as long as T.O. is around. I didn't see Jones getting rid of Owens, probably figuring Parcells would walk at some point anyway.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Lane Kiffin to coach the Raiders.

As a Raiders fan, I know nothing of this man. I would be interested in hearing what anyone has to say. Yet another mistake by Davis? I guess it can't get much worse than it has been for the last few years.

BKrich, being around the USC team, what do you think of this hire?

PK, another young hire, 31 years old.
Last edited by Pete on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hell, I was just being flippant with the "who will be football's first Theo Epstein coach" comment, but we're getting pretty damn close to that with the hiring of Kiffin. He's 31!

The AP report this morning said there were nine Raiders' players, I think, last season older than Kiffin. It doesn't matter, since the coach is the coach, but it's interesting.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

In the Raiders' case, they could only get young coaches, perhaps ones who aren't quite ready yet to succeed, because Davis won't cede enough control.

For instance on things like assistant coaches. Gruden clashed with one of the DCs IIRC. (although it seems more teams are hiring "assistant head coaches" or coordinators independently of the HC these days).

I tend to think Kiffen's success is due to the overwhelming talent USC had more than any innovative schemes. But Davis has plucked coaches who turned out to be very successful, especially AFTER they leave the Raiders.

So maybe this guy will learn what NOT to do in order to become successful. :P

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Apparently Favre is coming back.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I'm glad he's coming back. As a Packer fan, it's hard to imaginable a team without him.

The TD, QB victory and INT records should all be his by this time next year.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

sfz_T-car wrote:I'm glad he's coming back. As a Packer fan, it's hard to imaginable a team without him.

I am too and I dont even like the Packers. The guy is just fun to watch.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I'm glad he's back, although it'll be sad to see him break Marino's records, who I was a big fan of.

But what's with him emotionally breaking down in the last game the past two years as if he knew he just played his last game, only to end up coming back? He seems a little emotionally conflicted.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I'm glad. Every year he plays past his peak is another chance for the Bears to send him off the field on a golf cart :evil:
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

sfz_T-car wrote:I'm glad he's coming back. As a Packer fan, it's hard to imaginable a team without him.

Sad to say, but I think he's coming back to attain the records (the "good" ones). I don't buy the "he's still playing because it's fun." I have long been a Favre fan, but watching him now is painful.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

grtwhtsk wrote:

Sad to say, but I think he's coming back to attain the records (the "good" ones). I don't buy the "he's still playing because it's fun." I have long been a Favre fan, but watching him now is painful.
If it isn't fun, Favre is a better actor than he showed in "There's Something About Mary"

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It may suit Favre to play again but does it suit the Packers?

With or without him, they probably won't go anywhere next season.

But what about when he eventually leaves?

Don't the Packers need to know if the other QBs are ready to take the reins?

It's kind of like the Bonds situation. A record chase fills the seats. But Packers don't have trouble selling seats do they?

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

The Pack was 8-8 this season which counts for contending in the NFC. Favre gives them a better chance to win next year than Rodgers, although it won't provide the organization with any real data about Rodgers' abilities for the 2-3 year timeframe.

Cap rules and the short leashes given to coachs and GMs makes today's NFL all about immediate gratification.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Schottenheimer fired 8O

Wow, finishing 14-2 should surely guarantee a coach job security - even if the playoff record has been a bit weak.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Schottenheimer got canned after all. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the owners don't trust him to run the team...and with all of his coordinators gone, he was going to have to take control again.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Poor Marty. Seems like he got screwed. When's the last time the Chargers won the division? The playoff loss was rough, but my goodness, 3 losses all season and gets canned. He should still be with the Redskins, many believe, and if only the Danny wasn't a double-talking jerk he probably would be.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Zeppo wrote:Poor Marty. Seems like he got screwed. When's the last time the Chargers won the division? The playoff loss was rough, but my goodness, 3 losses all season and gets canned. He should still be with the Redskins, many believe, and if only the Danny wasn't a double-talking jerk he probably would be.
After a decade of being crap. The Chargers under Marty have won the division 2 out of the last 3 years. This move is just another reason, why the Chargers will always be the Chargers. Even when they get things going in the right direction, they can't help but step on their dicks.
-BK

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Pro sports owners continue to prove how big their egos are and how stupid they are.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Maybe they just want a coach who doesn't fall to pieces under the pressure of the playoffs, especially when he doesn't have Cameron and Phillips to hold his hand anymore.

SI have graded all the football commentators with Jaws and Vermeil getting five stars, and the main Monday Night team getting zero.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

bkrich83 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Poor Marty. Seems like he got screwed. When's the last time the Chargers won the division? The playoff loss was rough, but my goodness, 3 losses all season and gets canned. He should still be with the Redskins, many believe, and if only the Danny wasn't a double-talking jerk he probably would be.
After a decade of being crap. The Chargers under Marty have won the division 2 out of the last 3 years. This move is just another reason, why the Chargers will always be the Chargers. Even when they get things going in the right direction, they can't help but step on their dicks.
And I thought the Chargers canning Bobby Ross was bad.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

bkrich83 wrote:
That organization is a joke. Spanos has no idea how to run a football team. Now they're going to try and make it back to the top of the AFC with a completely new coaching staff? Yeah, good luck with all that.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote:
That organization is a joke. Spanos has no idea how to run a football team. Now they're going to try and make it back to the top of the AFC with a completely new coaching staff? Yeah, good luck with all that.
That is freaking crazy!!!...Please dont tell me Spanos is Greek.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

XXXIV wrote:
Brando70 wrote:
Oh yes, Alex and his sons are. It's the worst decision by a Greek family since Oedipus slept with his mother and killed his father. Maybe the Chargers should have visited the Oracle at Delphi first.
Last edited by Brando70 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Brando70 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
Brando70 wrote:
Oh yes, Alex and his sons are. It's the worse decision by a Greek family since Oedipus slept with his mother and killed his father. Maybe the Chargers should have visited the Oracle at Delphi first.
I must now turn my back on them.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

XXXIV wrote:
Brando70 wrote:
XXXIV wrote: That is freaking crazy!!!...Please dont tell me Spanos is Greek.
Oh yes, Alex and his sons are. It's the worse decision by a Greek family since Oedipus slept with his mother and killed his father. Maybe the Chargers should have visited the Oracle at Delphi first.
I must now turn my back on them.
I've already done that, and am currently looking for a new team to root for. 36 years of this is enough.
-BK