2007 NFL offseason thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Why don't the Dolphins look at their former defensive coordinator? He was the D coordinator for the Packers 2 years ago, but left after he wasn't considered for the head coaching job. I can't think of his name right now, but he struck me as someone who would have been a good HC.

And since no one else has mentioned it yet, how about that silly Ron Mexico? How's that decision to fire Mora and let it ride with Vick looking now?
-Matt

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

matthewk wrote:Why don't the Dolphins look at their former defensive coordinator? He was the D coordinator for the Packers 2 years ago, but left after he wasn't considered for the head coaching job. I can't think of his name right now, but he struck me as someone who would have been a good HC.

And since no one else has mentioned it yet, how about that silly Ron Mexico? How's that decision to fire Mora and let it ride with Vick looking now?
I think you mean Jim Bates. He was the interim coach after Wannstedt left. All the players liked him and he was a candidate before they hired Saban. I think they are looking for an offensive minded coach. Especially since they resigned they defensive coordinateor to a 3 year (I think) deal. That surprised me, because I would think whoever they hire would want to bring in their own staff.

Rick

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Capers hasn't signed that deal yet. It's on the table though. Capers said he was going to wait until they decided on a head coach (which he is also a candidate) before he signed it...just because of the fact that he may not get along or like the new coach.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Yep, Bates is the guy I was thinking of. Who cares if he is a defensive coach? I thought the Packers should have promoted him last year.
-Matt

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Looks like Cameron may be the guy...he's back for the third time now talking to ownership:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2736313

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The offer has been extended to Cameron. Out of everyone that was available, it was a good choice if you ask me.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The offer has been extended to Cameron. Out of everyone that was available, it was a good choice if you ask me.
He was great in "Growing Pains" but haven't seen much of him lately.

Meanwhile in Oakland, Al's tea leaves are supposedly indicating Steve Sarkisian again.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

The Sarkisian era is over before it began

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Who the hell would want to coach the Raiders?

azmark
Mario Mendoza

Post by azmark »

Who the hell would want to coach the Raiders?

Pat Hill...would be a decet choice...but he is better where he is at now.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Wow, Steelers hire Tomlin!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

I'd never even heard of this guy before Cowher resigned, this is definitely a surprising move. I'm guessing the Steelers famed 3-4 will be a thing of the past as Tomlin is a Tampa 2 disciple. So much for Big Ben getting his wish for an offensive coach.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Cameron seems like a very good fit for the Chargers. I think he has a similar kind of offensive talent in Miami -- not the same level, but the same types of players who fit what he did with San Diego's offense.

Tomlin is a little surprising -- I would have thought they'd hire Grimm -- but since the Steelers face the Ravens and Browns four times a year, they get to dismiss pass defense for 25% of their games :D

I think Sarkisian balked because the Raiders wouldn't let him bring garlic and wooden stakes to his meeting with Davis.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

HipE wrote:Wow, Steelers hire Tomlin!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

I'd never even heard of this guy before Cowher resigned, this is definitely a surprising move. I'm guessing the Steelers famed 3-4 will be a thing of the past as Tomlin is a Tampa 2 disciple. So much for Big Ben getting his wish for an offensive coach.
Although SI and ESPN are reporting he is going to be the new coach, Dan Rooney has denied it and I thought they wanted to give Rivera a second interview before making their final decision but we will probably know something in the next day or two.

I hadn't heard of him before either but hearing that he played wide receiver and also coached special teams before becoming a defensive coordinator shows that he must be a pretty good football guy to be able to adapt to all parts of the game. I thought Russ Grimm was going to get the job and was pulling for him since he is a local guy, he is from Scottdale which is about 5 miles from me.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Now the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is saying Russ Grimm has been offered and accepted the head coaching job:

http://pittsburghlive.com:8000/x/pittsb ... 89602.html

I'll wait for official word before commenting this time :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Now the question is...who do you believe...the sweater vest Chris Mortensen at ESPN or some guys at the Tribune? I'd go with the Tribune personally. LOL.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

I just wonder whether Miami's GM issues aren't bigger than its coach position. And also, I wonder whether an offensive coordinator 'loses the magic' once he's a head coach. Look at Dom Capers as a D-Coordinator - great. Look at him as a head coach - not so much.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RandyM wrote:Look at Dom Capers as a D-Coordinator - great. Look at him as a head coach - not so much.
Yeah, I hate it when my expansion head coach hand picks it's players and coaches then promptly goes 7-9 in its first year (an expansion team record btw), then in the second year takes me to the NFC Championship game. What a horrible head coach.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

The other Pittsburgh paper, the Post Gazette, is now reporting Tomlin is the guy. From the wording of the article, it sounds like Grimm is the source, so I'm guessing this really is the final word.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07021/755744-100.stm

Fox Sports is also reporting that Tomlin has been offered and has accepted the job:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6391772

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, Tomlin is only 34. Between Tomlin and Mangini's hiring last season, NFL head coaches are getting younger and younger all the time.

How long will it take before we have the Theo Epstein version of NFL coaches, a boy wonder head coach in his 20s?

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Now that the Patriots season is over, I wonder if they will retool? From the sounds of it, they are already low balling Assante Samuel, so who knows if he will be back. I would think that we have seen the last of Reche Caldwell, but will they get a decent receiver to help out Brady? Sure, some of the Pats are getting old, but replacing Kevin Faulk is not the same as replacing Tom Brady.

You can look at it several different ways, you can say that NE got to the conference Championship without Deion Branch and got a first round draft pick in the process, or you could argue that a if they had a better receiving core that they might be in the Super Bowl again.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

It seems absurd the New England don't spend right up to the limit on the Salary Cap.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Yeah, I hate it when my expansion head coach hand picks it's players and coaches then promptly goes 7-9 in its first year (an expansion team record btw), then in the second year takes me to the NFC Championship game. What a horrible head coach.
And his record in Houston was 18-46.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Feanor wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Yeah, I hate it when my expansion head coach hand picks it's players and coaches then promptly goes 7-9 in its first year (an expansion team record btw), then in the second year takes me to the NFC Championship game. What a horrible head coach.
And his record in Houston was 18-46.
He wasn't picking the players there now was he? He was doing EVERYTHING in Carolina...and as you can see by the Reggie Bush debacle...the decision makers in Houston aren't exactly skilled.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

No one could have done much with the personnel choices the Texans made. You can't call Capers "horrible" considering what he did with Carolina. We really need to get out of the binary "r0x0rs/s0x0rs" system of rating everything.

New England really needs to get at least a B-grade #1 receiver. I don't think you can judge Caldwell by one game, but he's not a go-to guy. The Pats also need to determine if Maroney/Dillon is the way to go and make a committment to the run. It's not surprising Maroney seemed to wear down, since most rookie RBs do, but can he handle a starting role with Dillon in a supporting Jerome Bettis role? The good thing is, both of those issues are definitely fixable through free agency or the draft.

The Saints are defininitely a secondary away from being Super Bowl contenders. Hats off to Payton and those players for a great year, just an incredible turnaround for the franchise.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

BREAKING NEWS: Cowboys are looking for a new coach now.. Parcells just resigned as HC & also announced his retirement from pro football