Any DS Lite retail deals out there?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

I have to go with PK on this one. Even though I do not own a hand held and never have, I am wanting a DS pretty bad and will probably pick one up for my son and myself. Maybe even get another if I see fit once I see how well my son and I like it.

I was a HEAVY Ps2 gamer and really only played one game....SOCOM. I played the s*** out of that and then I bought an Xbox when Halo2 came out. I went down hill with my Socom and Ps2 from the point on. I still played SOCOM b/c I had made such a friendship with the guys in my clan. Then comes the 260. There were several guys that got 360's and between them and the guys here I hardly got any online gaming done as everyone was ALWAYS playing something else. So, I sold it and haven't really missed it much. Add to the fact I went through 3 of them and it makes thing hurt even less. I have been doing a lot of Sim Racing with rFactor and GTR2 and with the guys I am setup with now there is a race damn near every night!!! I have got my ps2 out again and hooked up SOCOM 3 and will buy the new SOCOM Combined Assault and Guitar Hero2 next week. So I still have a little console going on, but only because I miss my clan buddies and I have the GH2 itch as I have never played it.

PK, I hope to have a DS soon if not I will have one by Xmas (atleast my son will lol) I would like to hook up with Mario Kart and whatever else that would be fun and we can play each other.

Also, check ToysRUS they had a decent deal a few weeks ago for the Lite, 2 games and an accessory pack. They have a new special about every week.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sounds good, Seminole.

By the way, my wife is making rumblings about buying a PC in the New Year, as she is doing a lot more e-mail and browsing, and my kids are using a PC more and more for school and the like.

We've never owned a PC, as we've always used my business laptop. So I may be joining you cats for PC sim racing in the New Year, which will be b*tchin. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

If I remember right, the upcoming Walmart ad has details about a bundle that is going to be available online. If I can find out where the managers hid the ad's at our store, I'll post what I find out.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, Bandit.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Darkbandit wrote:If I remember right, the upcoming Walmart ad has details about a bundle that is going to be available online. If I can find out where the managers hid the ad's at our store, I'll post what I find out.
Pk at Walmart? Come on now. Not going to happen. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Darkbandit wrote:If I remember right, the upcoming Walmart ad has details about a bundle that is going to be available online. If I can find out where the managers hid the ad's at our store, I'll post what I find out.
Pk at Walmart? Come on now. Not going to happen. :lol:
:)

If the price is right, I'll be there.

Quick in, quick out. I'll blow past the greeter, who's either on methadone maintenance or is 91 years old and senile. Then I'll dodge the trailer trash screaming at their kids, who are planted in the cart seat with oil-infused nacho cheese stuck to their chins. Then I'll quickly sa-shay past the women with double-wide asses in the snack food and candy aisles. Then I'll arrive in the electronics section and weave around the young couples maxing out their credit cards to buy the latest Emerson double DVD player, Tim McGraw album and RCA 51-inch HDTV with a horrid picture for $1,200, without a wonder -- or a care -- about how they're going to pay for it as they let their newborn daughter with pierced ears and a $150 car seat and Baby Nike Jordans suck on a Tootsie Pop.

Then I'll pay at the electronics checkout, ignoring the advice of the clerk with the bad-ass cubic zirconium right-ear stud, wigger silver chain and handmade ink cross tattoo on his hand between his thumb and index finger who will tell me that I should wait for Super Mario for the PS3.

Finally, I'll sprint in horror like Ben Johnson on double-mocha steroids past the end cap filled with Jeff Foxworthy's Greatest Hits comedy DVD's out the front door, jump into my minivan, pop two penicillin pills and drive home, sweat dripping from my brow like leaden green leaves after a storm in the Amazon.

Yeah, I'll be there.

Take care,
PK

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

now that is funny LOL!!

I trust if you are thinking about a PC you will get something pretty decent for gaming?? Of course you will need a new kick ass wheel and pedals too ;)

You would LOVE the group I race with. I am serious when I say there is racing EVERY night. If there is not a race, there are guys turning laps and tweaking setups. It can be very frustrating at times as some of these guys are literally aliens on wheels, but I still have fun every race and when you do finish well (top 5 or so) it feels pretty good. We run endurance races too that are around 2 hours or so :) These are like every other Saturday afternoon. Its a blast and season 4 will be staring around the first of the year in GTR2. We run Porches in rFactor as well as F3's (kinda like Formula 3000) and we have been mixing it up in GTR2 with different class combinations.

Lots of fun bro. especially for a racing freak such as yourself.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

We'll see what and if we get for a PC. I hope it's a nice rig, but I'm not going to spend a lot of extra dosh just to ensure it's good for gaming. It's a family PC first, not my PC. If it satisfies the family's PC needs and is good for gaming, all the better.

No way I'll race for two hours on a Saturday afternoon, either. Too many family things going on, such as practices, games, chores, hanging with kids and frau, skiing during the winter, riding during the summer, etc.

But the hot laps and nightly races sound fun ...

Take care,
PK

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Well I managed to get an ad today, of course I was told that the ads would probably be mailed out soon anyway. The deal that is being advertised really doesn't seem that big of a deal, but anyway....for 149.94: DS lite, with slip case and one game (game selection varies). According to the ad, the sale doesn't start until the 5th and runs through the 11th, however on the WM website it lists a bundle package already where you choose your game.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5044124

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, man.

Take care,
PK

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

pk500 wrote:Does this make me the Tiki Barber of DSP? Am I retiring from consoles too soon?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sincerely, I appreciate everyone's devil's advocacy. It's good to pause to think even further, but I'm very comfortable with my decision. My general de-emphasis of gaming and the big spike in prices for the hobby for the next generation -- hardware, software and microtransactions -- are two arrows moving in opposite directions.

Take care,
PK
That's funny because I was thinking about the same thing. After the PS2 dies out, I have no desire to plunk down $500 for sports titles that haven't lived up to my expectations on next-gen consoles. However, the DS Lite plus Clubhouse Games looks interesting.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Cocks (no way I can call you Game for short :)):

I made my typhoid-avoiding mad dash through Wal-Mart last night to get a DS Lite and Clubhouse Games. I didn't get to play as I had a lot of stuff to do around the house, and I had to charge my unit and also didn't get a chance to apply the screen protector.

I plan to dive into it tonight and will let you cats know what I think. It's a nice unit -- feels much more solid and heavier than I thought. I also didn't know the thing had shoulder buttons, which is cool.

The screens are bright and clear. Very impressive.

Take care,
PK

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

pk500 wrote:Cocks (no way I can call you Game for short :)):

I made my typhoid-avoiding mad dash through Wal-Mart last night to get a DS Lite and Clubhouse Games. I didn't get to play as I had a lot of stuff to do around the house, and I had to charge my unit and also didn't get a chance to apply the screen protector.
What color did you get?

It obviously doesn't matter now, but I forgot to suggest to you when you were looking for deals that if you weren't married to the DS Lite that you could have saved some money by buying the old DS, *IF* you could find one. I don't think they are making them anymore, but I have seen some places selling the Red DS/Mario Kart bundle for the same price as the DS Lite. Some people with bigger hands actually prefer the old DS, and it's also got that thumb-stylus thingie. There's no question the DS Lite is the better unit, but for those looking to save a buck buying the old one is an option.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

SEMINOLE wrote: I have got my ps2 out again and hooked up SOCOM 3 and will buy the new SOCOM Combined Assault .
What is your Socom tag? I plan on getting Combined Assault as well.
Last edited by Gamecocks625 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

pk500 wrote:Cocks (no way I can call you Game for short :)):

I plan to dive into it tonight and will let you cats know what I think. It's a nice unit -- feels much more solid and heavier than I thought. I also didn't know the thing had shoulder buttons, which is cool.

The screens are bright and clear. Very impressive.

Take care,
PK
Let me know how that game is. I borrowed a friend's Lite and played the demo of Darts, which was pretty fun. Let me know how the full game is.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Kazuya wrote:What color did you get?
White. Pink was out of the question, and black shows smudges a lot more easily. Plus white just has that "icy cool" factor to it. No coincidence that Nintendo went with the same color and sheen as the iPod for its first run of DS Lites.
Kazuya wrote:It obviously doesn't matter now, but I forgot to suggest to you when you were looking for deals that if you weren't married to the DS Lite that you could have saved some money by buying the old DS, *IF* you could find one. I don't think they are making them anymore, but I have seen some places selling the Red DS/Mario Kart bundle for the same price as the DS Lite. Some people with bigger hands actually prefer the old DS, and it's also got that thumb-stylus thingie. There's no question the DS Lite is the better unit, but for those looking to save a buck buying the old one is an option.
The smaller size of the DS Lite is a bit of a plus, but the brightness and clarity of the DS Lite touch screens compared to the DS are a HUGE plus, in my opinion. I've seen the DS screens, and they look to be enveloped in London fog compared to the DS Lite screens.

Thanks for the tip, though!

Take care,
PK

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Gamecocks625 wrote:
SEMINOLE wrote: I have got my ps2 out again and hooked up SOCOM 3 and will buy the new SOCOM Combined Assault .
What is your Socom tag? I plan on getting Combined Assault as well.

My tag is DEWEIL
My name is JET_Ll the last letter is a lowercase L

I cant get my original name to work right now until I can get a new password emailed to my new email address LOL A real pain in the ass.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Pk,

Don't forget you can download game demos from kiosks at places such as Target, Walmart, Gamestop, EB Games, etc to your DS Lite. It's a nice little feature, but remember once you turn the system off, the demo is gone. Plus, as I recall, they only have a few select demos on some of the more popular games. However, they do change them out pretty frequently. I've demo'd Meteos and a golf game fairly recently.

Congrats by the way on your purchase.
Last edited by sportdan30 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tip, Dan!

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Just a heads-up that Best Buy is running a Buy 2 Get 1 free deal on Touch Generation games this week.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Just a heads-up that Best Buy is running a Buy 2 Get 1 free deal on Touch Generation games this week.
Thanks for the tip. Saw that over coffee this morning, man, about five days too late. I bought Clubhouse Games with my DS Lite last Wednesday at Troll-Mart, and really the only other Touch Generations game I want is Brain Age.

I suppose if I dug up some eBay funds, I could get Brain Age and True Swing Golf for me and Nintendogs for my daughter. There's an idea!

I'm really digging my DS Lite with Clubhouse Games. Exactly what I want and need out of gaming now. Pure, simple, competitive. Gaming fun to the core.

The DS Lite is one nifty little machine. Quite a step up from my last handheld, the original GameBoy in 1992. :)

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:Thanks for the tip. Saw that over coffee this morning, man, about five days too late. I bought Clubhouse Games with my DS Lite last Wednesday at Troll-Mart, and really the only other Touch Generations game I want is Brain Age.

I suppose if I dug up some eBay funds, I could get Brain Age and True Swing Golf for me and Nintendogs for my daughter. There's an idea!

I'm really digging my DS Lite with Clubhouse Games. Exactly what I want and need out of gaming now. Pure, simple, competitive. Gaming fun to the core.

The DS Lite is one nifty little machine. Quite a step up from my last handheld, the original GameBoy in 1992. :)
You could always buy Clubhouse Games at BB and return that unopened copy to Wal Mart. I think Tetris is also part of the deal, if you're a fan of it you can't beat the online battles, IMO.

On a trip to Costco today I picked up Elite Beat Agents--only played it a little bit but it definitely looks like another fun, quirky, pick-up-and play collection for the DS.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Gamecocks625
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Gamecocks625 »

pk500 wrote: I'm really digging my DS Lite with Clubhouse Games. Exactly what I want and need out of gaming now. Pure, simple, competitive. Gaming fun to the core.

Take care,
PK
What are your favorite games on Clubhouse? That's the first game I would plan on picking up as well.

Speaking of True Swing Golf, I'm really holding out for a good Mario Golf title. Hopefully, Nintendo will come through with that one as it has on it's other platforms.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:You could always buy Clubhouse Games at BB and return that unopened copy to Wal Mart. I think Tetris is also part of the deal, if you're a fan of it you can't beat the online battles, IMO.
At the risk of starting another forum passion play over morality, there's an idea, Dave!

Thanks.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gamecocks625 wrote:What are your favorite games on Clubhouse? That's the first game I would plan on picking up as well.
Cocks:

I've barely scratched the surface of the games available on Clubhouse Games, as I've played maybe 10 or so of the 42 available.

My faves so far:

<b>Memory</b> (my 5-year-old son loves this, too)
<b>President</b> (had no clue how much fun this card game is -- never heard of it. Probably my favorite card game so far.)
<b>Texas Hold 'Em</b> (AI isn't as tough as a dedicated DS poker game, but still fun)
<b>Checkers</b>
<b>Turncoat</b> (same thing as board game Othello or Reversi)
<b>Connect Five</b> (just like the plastic game)
<b>Grid Attack</b> (same thing as board game Battleship)
<b>Backgammon</b> (surprisingly good AI on Hard level)
<b>Chess</b> (I suck at chess, so this will have infinite replay value. Nice documentation of all moves, too, to learn.)
<b>Soda Shake</b> (ridiculously stupid fun, especially with the kids)
<b>Bowling</b> (possibly my favorite, along with President. Kids love it, too.)
<b>Darts</b> (quite hard, so a lot of replay value)
<b>Solitaire</b>

Clubhouse Games is a no-brainer purchase if you have a DS. It's like having every fun classic board and card game that you had as a kid on one cartridge, plus a few other very fun additions.

Even if you get sick of one game or don't like a certain game, there are so many other fun games. I don't think Blackjack is that great, as I'm an experienced BJ player who plays "by the chart." You can't split in BJ in Clubhouse Games, and hands move a bit slowly.

But it doesn't bother me because there are a sh*tload of other games that are a riot. And I haven't even gone online yet, as I need to get a USB wireless adapter for my laptop.

If you ever have enjoyed any of the games at Yahoo! Games, you'll love Clubhouse Games.

Take care,
PK