Anyone take the plunge on Test Drive:Unlimited?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I went to the clubhouse once and didn't see anyone there. Do you actually see the characters etc?

Also, I just haven't had time to mess around other than try to complete challenges.

Haven't found the American Muscle Car dealership nor have I found the race around the island that everyone talks about.
GT = Wilk5280

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If you catch me online tonight, I'll drive you over there. That's how BTK and myself hooked up last night...he took me to the paint shop, I took him to the US Muscle Tuners :D

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Oh hey, but ain't I an ass! The inter-club stuff seems to be sort of like the Halo party system, where you can go 4 on 4 with other clubs. Interesting.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Yea..we need to try to get some 8 car club racin' going. Based off TC and I's experience last night seems pretty fun.

Quick question though. Does it tell you if your opponent is using any kind of driving aid?
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Zeppo wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:34, were both cars in the same class? I'm thinking it won't let you have 2 of the same class. I know they make it a point of telling you to make sure the car you buy is in a class you need whenever you go into a dealership that sells cars in your class. Just an idea.
That's not it. I have several E-class and G-class cars. XXXIV are you sure you are starting the car before trying to drive it? If it lets you drive it out of your garage, but not after you check the map, it may be that you aren't starting it, because out of the garage it is already running. Just a thought.
Thanks guys for the help.
Starting the car?... :oops: Didnt know I had to...the audi and the corvette just go...Where is the starter ? :oops:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You have to hit Back 3 times to choke it, then hit B,Y,A,A, start.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

TCrouch wrote:You have to hit Back 3 times to choke it, then hit B,Y,A,A, start.
Yep, and on a couple of the classics you have to turn the right stick in a circular motion over and over to crank it. :lol:
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:Guys I only got to play this game for 20 minutes last night but i have a question. WTF does the rental car go? I rented the best car I could find for 20 days and now i am stuck driving some POS cross between a car and a pickup. :)
I was laughing my a** off when I read what you wrote, because I was thinking the same thing! Here I had this beautiful Mercedes I believe, and now I'm stuck driving this POS Saturn! I kept going back to my house wondering where the heck is my sweet ride?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Guys,

Would you say this game has enough replay value to last longer than titles such as Toca, Moto GP, PGR, etc?

I toyed around with the game last night and had a great time just cruising the open road. I was actually very careful not to pass the cop who was just up ahead. I love the GPS system as well. It kinda gives me the relaxed feeling where you don't necessarily have to think too much about the upcoming sharp corner, but moreso just enjoy the driving aspect.

I wasn't totally blown away by the graphics, but it's definitely a step up from the Xbox. I did notice a fairly significant amout of clipping (i.e. Trees appearing in the distance, etc.)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You can fly past the cops...they couldn't care less...just don't hit them. They kinda get pissed when you do that.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Me and the cops got into a little high speed chase earlier today...after all was said and done, it wound up costing me $100K so to say they get kinda pissed would be about right.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Ug, had no intention what-so-ever to pick this up, but after reading all of this, it's got me thinking twice.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:Ug, had no intention what-so-ever to pick this up, but after reading all of this, it's got me thinking twice.
The third time you think about it is when you buy it and love it...so might as well just get it over with.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

look out for the badly driven car on the wrong side of the road - that'll be me then.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The third time you think about it is when you buy it and love it...so might as well just get it over with.
Agreed. Just get on with it so you can start discovering some awesome roads on the island.

Last night, I said "OK, just a couple more miles" at about 10...then around midnight I ended up turning the game off after saying "a few more miles" about ten more times. I'm not sure a driving/racing game has had the initial pull of this one since the first Gran Turismo for me. It is that fun.

It seems like this game should have pretty good staying power, but a lot of that could be dependent on how well the DSP time trials and challenges work out.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Speaking of cops, does anybody know if when you get pulled over you are ticketed for every car you hit? That would explain the $100,000 fine. I've hit more than my fair share of cars on the island :oops: and that would suck to be pulled over and lose all my cash.

Right now I'm working on visiting all the car dealerships so I can open up the motorcycle ones. I spent an hour cruising from dealership to dealership in my GTO. I was on the phone with my brother for most of my trip convincing him to pick this game up. It felt like I was driving my car talking on my cellphone. Is that legal in Hawaii? :lol:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You only get ticketed for the cars you hit on that current "wanted streak". If you hit one, the shield flashes and that's about it. If you don't hit anything for a few seconds, you're ok. If you careen off one and go into another, then the shield becomes solid and you start picking up the dispatch feeds. At that point, you just wrecked two cars, and the toll starts rising. It's when they start barricading you that really becomes a problem, since every cop car you hit is like quadruple the cost or something. So no, it's not cumulative over your entire time, but it IS cumulative for that current session that you're in...from the time the cops start searching for you until you either lose them or they catch you.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Thanks for explaining it Terry. I hit the occasional car but I don't go on destruction rampages so I'm not too worried.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, I hit the occasional car as well, but I've never been hit with more than a 19,000 dollar fine. I tried to evade the police for a while, but as soon as they start chasing me past the "1 shield" mark, I know the roadblocks and crap are coming up, so I just stop. I'd rather pay a couple thousand and continue on my merry way than let it build up a lot.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I got pulled over last night and did lose all my cash and didn't have enough for the full fine, so the game put me in jail. I had to sit there an watch this timer for 30 seconds of the police department. :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:I got pulled over last night and did lose all my cash and didn't have enough for the full fine, so the game put me in jail. I had to sit there an watch this timer for 30 seconds of the police department. :)
I knew that sooner or later the law would catch up with you :P

My favorite is running into a police car :? 8)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Does anyone know where to upgrade a Maserati? I don't know where that tuning shop is. That and Jaguar, also.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

If there is still any room in the DSP club, can I get an invite as well?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

My box and instructions just arrived from Gamefly, so if anyone still needs one and would like to swap referral codes, please PM me.

Thanks!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Well, that was pretty cool to meet in the club like that. I'm glad I threw out that message, I was just trying to see how the races worked, and I was psyched to see everyone's avatars in the clubhouse! That place has a down home feel, but sometime we should think about stepping up to ritzier digs!

I'm convinced there was something weird between Theo and Scoop. Are both you guys getting an open NAT reading when you do the connection test from the system blade? Still, did we ever have more that four in a race?

The other lag was altogether strange, with those puppy dog ghost cars stuck behind one of us. When I had db behind me, I figured I was the only one who saw him, so I was surprised to see the doppelganger of bk's car cause db to pop up into the air in a later race. Very weird. It seems it's there right at the grid, and that's what the odd flashing, two cars on top of each other is. I've never seen anything like it in a normal online room that I've hosted, and I've had 8 in a room, so maybe it's just a club thing.

EDIT: Oh, and PS., I found the tune-up shops for Maserati and Jaguar, among others. Turns out the map in the manual has all the locations noted with their generic icons! They are tiny, but I guess that's what magnifying glasses are for!

One more thing; it seems our club is full, and I think we have 16. Does anyone know if this is the absolute max, or could we hold more in a club that cost more to creats?