OT: Major League Baseball 2006 Season Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Big White Sox-Twins series the next few nights, hopefully it goes better for the Twins than the early-season matchups.

The Sox are popping up everywhere in rumors. They already have MacDougal from KC and appear to be leading the Soriano sweepstakes.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Harold Reynolds abruptly dismissed from Baseball Tonight.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires ... rchand.htm

Considering the hoops ESPN jumped through to keep Michael Irvin on the air, the mind boggles at what Harold did.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

sfz_T-car wrote:Harold Reynolds abruptly dismissed from Baseball Tonight.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires ... rchand.htm

Considering the hoops ESPN jumped through to keep Michael Irvin on the air, the mind boggles at what Harold did.
very odd.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Easily one of my favorite sports personalities. Always seems like a very likable guy.

Yeah, they keep Irvin, but Reynolds is gone? He musta done killed someone.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Great, now we get more Kruk, Brantley, and Phillips. Just what Baseball Tonight needed to keep me tuning in even less.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Yeah, I miss Peter Gammons as well. Hopefully he'll return to good health.

Tino Martinez is the absolute worst. He looks like he's in a constant state of panic, and pretty much has nothing to say. Completely unnatural in front of a camera.

Orestes Destrade is a bit more natural than Tino, but he constantly gets tongue-tied, and struggles to find the words to finish his thoughts.

The rest I don't mind too much. But Gammons and Reynolds were my favorites.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

AJColossal wrote: Gammons and Reynolds were my favorites.
Absolutely!!! Mine too.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I'm not even that big of a baseball fan, but I always enjoyed watching Reynolds talk about the game. Like you guys said, he must have done something pretty awful, or maybe he was just caught trying to get a job at another sports network.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Feanor wrote:I'm not even that big of a baseball fan, but I always enjoyed watching Reynolds talk about the game. Like you guys said, he must have done something pretty awful, or maybe he was just caught trying to get a job at another sports network.
or peeking in on suzy kolber....

that would be my downfall.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Rumors swirling around that it was probably sexual harassment.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Man, what a run the Twins are having. Who would have thought? But they are just a game away from the wild card, they are hot now. Pitching is keeping this team in the run.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It is amazing to see what the Twins have done after dropping the dead weights of Batista and Castro...just think if they had put Punto (ick) and Bartlett in the lineup from day one.

Yes, I'm a drunken, happy Twins fan right now. This team has a hell of a nucleus in place going forward. Suck it, Sox (despite knowing those words could bite me in the %ss going forward).

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

White Sox are 2-8 in last 10 games and Guillen is ripping one of his best pitchers (Garland) in front of everybody. Ugh....

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Dave wrote:It is amazing to see what the Twins have done after dropping the dead weights of Batista and Castro...just think if they had put Punto (ick) and Bartlett in the lineup from day one.

Yes, I'm a drunken, happy Twins fan right now. This team has a hell of a nucleus in place going forward. Suck it, Sox (despite knowing those words could bite me in the %ss going forward).
What a crazy 1-2 punch you guys have in the starting rotation too...Too bad they are getting a bit old. :roll:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Dave wrote: Yes, I'm a drunken, happy Twins fan right now. This team has a hell of a nucleus in place going forward. Suck it, Sox (despite knowing those words could bite me in the %ss going forward).
Enjoy, I think the Jays need one or two more solid arms in the pitching department and the race for the wild card will go all the way to the last week. But here's the weird part. Seattle, whom TO beat last night is in last place in the four-team AL West, is only three games out of first place and closer to a post-season berth than Toronto.

Trading deadline is a week away.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:White Sox are 2-8 in last 10 games and Guillen is ripping one of his best pitchers (Garland) in front of everybody. Ugh....
Thats my Ozzie ...goofy bastard. Gotta love him.

Singing..."Slip sliding away"

For those of you(myself included) who were waiting for the Tigers to fold. Its looking like we picked the wrong team to die in july...

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:
Dave wrote: Yes, I'm a drunken, happy Twins fan right now. This team has a hell of a nucleus in place going forward. Suck it, Sox (despite knowing those words could bite me in the %ss going forward).
Enjoy, I think the Jays need one or two more solid arms in the pitching department and the race for the wild card will go all the way to the last week. But here's the weird part. Seattle, whom TO beat last night is in last place in the four-team AL West, is only three games out of first place and closer to a post-season berth than Toronto.

Trading deadline is a week away.
We need the best smelling pitcher in the league back.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/ ... imedia.jsp

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I feel sick to my stomach. The Brewers traded away Lee, and with it any hope of making a wild card run. So we now have 3 failed closers (Turnbow, Kolb, and Cordero) on a team that will never get any save opportunties :evil:

Once again we are proving to be nothing more than a minor league team for the teams willing to spend some $$$ to aquire....AND RETAIN good talent. We rented Sexon for a couple of seasons, and now we rented Lee for a couple. Support for the Brewers has been very good this season, but they just pissed in our beer with this deal.

To make things even worse in the world of baseball today, Bonds says he plans on coming back next year. Wonderful.
-Matt

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

fun link for everyone (especially us 70s-80s baseball card collector kids of the time ) enjoy :wink:

www.baseballcardblog.blogspot.com

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I thought the package the Brewers got for Carlos Lee was pretty skimpy. Mench and Nix are marginal major leaguers with very limited untapped potential. I'd rather take my chances with Nelson Cruz than with either of them, although the Brewers organization knows a lot more about Cruz than I do. I think they'd be better off rolling the dice for prospects than the guys they got.

F. Cordero will help but again if you're throwing in the towel on 2006 by trading Lee, why not see if Capellan is capable of closing.

Maybe the Brewers will sign Bonds as a free agent :twisted:

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Looks like if a team in the NL East is gonna make a charge at the wild card(and "maybe" the Mets) is going to be the Marlins. Incredible.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Speaking of horrible trades...Wilson Betemit for Danny Baez and some scrub infielder? WTF is Schuerholz thinking. Wow.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

sfz_T-car wrote:I thought the package the Brewers got for Carlos Lee was pretty skimpy. Mench and Nix are marginal major leaguers with very limited untapped potential. I'd rather take my chances with Nelson Cruz than with either of them, although the Brewers organization knows a lot more about Cruz than I do. I think they'd be better off rolling the dice for prospects than the guys they got.

F. Cordero will help but again if you're throwing in the towel on 2006 by trading Lee, why not see if Capellan is capable of closing.

Maybe the Brewers will sign Bonds as a free agent :twisted:
Capellan just went on the DL.

I just do not understand why they wanted Cordero. You now have the 3 stooges of closers.

Adding Cruz to the mix just makes it even more lopsided. Cruz was their best outfield prospect. They gave away the present AND future in left field for a bunch of below average players. It will be interesting to see just how much attendance drops now that management has basically told the fans "we surrender" for 2006.
-Matt

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Speaking of horrible trades...Wilson Betemit for Danny Baez and some scrub infielder? WTF is Schuerholz thinking. Wow.
With a hurt Chipper. I sometimes think GMs make moves to make themselves feel important. Wilkins for Manning anyone?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

bdunn13 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Speaking of horrible trades...Wilson Betemit for Danny Baez and some scrub infielder? WTF is Schuerholz thinking. Wow.
With a hurt Chipper. I sometimes think GMs make moves to make themselves feel important. Wilkins for Manning anyone?
Yeah...I think they should have traded Giles instead. Wilson would have been about 5 million cheaper next year. Regardless, I don't think Marcus will be back next year. Apparently the Braves scouts were really high on Aybar...the infielder they got. He may even be able to hit leadoff. Guess we'll see what the 'real' plan is going foward. I just liked Wilson...I'm sorry to see him go. He has shown in the past two years that when he gets the regular PT, he produces.