OOTP 2006 League Openings

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OOTP 2006 League Openings

Post by Bill_Abner »

Hey guys,

I figured this deserved its own thread since it's technically not for impressions (db disclaimer)

After taking a year hiatus so I could write my book, I'm starting the New City Baseball league up again using OOTP 2006. The NCBL is set to start the 2023 campaign as soon as I get the league roster filled up. I sent out a mass email to all of the old league owners and I think some will jump back on board but I'm sure we'll have at least a few openings. I wanted to get new owners in place and wanted to ask you guys first before blogging it since I know most of you and some of the blog people scare me. ahem, anyway...

A few points:

-This is a fictional league with fictional teams
-No DH --either league, the DH is a sin and an afront to nature
-We use a 75 mil salary cap
-In the past we simmed every M/W/F/ - 2 week's worth of games for each sim (Sims are rarely, if ever, missed). All you need to do is to submit roster changes, etc. You don't need to be online every other night. I handle all simming on my PC then upload files for you to download

Some of the other rules will most likely get tweaked due to the new version of the game.

We have a really nice league website that I need to get back online. We have a news board, message board, trade block, etc.

Anyway if you're interested send me a PM, post here, whatever. I'll reserve you a spot. If you have no exp. with an online OOTP league dont worry...with the new game we're all going to be learning at this point.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'd be interested. The game is ridiculously good. I played for hours yesterday. I still haven't even gotten into the financial model yet...which is probably gonna cause me problems. I've just been dealing with roster changes and stuff like that.

Am I asking for trouble joining an online league with a franchise model when I don't have any experience with it at all?

The other disclaimer I have is that I'm moving in two weeks...so I'll be down for about a week from the 20th till the 27th or so. If either of those aren't a problem, I'm down. I'm really glad I picked the game up Bill...thanks for the help.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

I'm interested. Keep me updated Bill.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I'll be interested - every league needs at least one Kansas City :D
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I'm very new to this but I'm interested in giving it a go.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I'm interested depending on when the league starts...I probably won't be able to start playing until the beginning of July.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Jared wrote:I'm interested depending on when the league starts...I probably won't be able to start playing until the beginning of July.
That's the situation for me as well. June is VERY busy for me thanks to messrs. Sarbanes and Oxley :?

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

davet010 wrote:I'll be interested - every league needs at least one Kansas City :D
Hey now! Plenty of room down here.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I'd be interested. The game is ridiculously good. I played for hours yesterday. I still haven't even gotten into the financial model yet...which is probably gonna cause me problems. I've just been dealing with roster changes and stuff like that.

Am I asking for trouble joining an online league with a franchise model when I don't have any experience with it at all?

The other disclaimer I have is that I'm moving in two weeks...so I'll be down for about a week from the 20th till the 27th or so. If either of those aren't a problem, I'm down. I'm really glad I picked the game up Bill...thanks for the help.
You aren't asking for trouble. Weve had a lot of online league newbies join the league and it really isnt all that different than solo...you just have to deal with people rather than the trade AI and FA bidding AI. Plus with this new version..we're all kinda noobs at this point.

Dont worry about timing. It'll be a few weeks until we start because I want SI to patch it as much as possible.

I'll keep everyone posted. We should have room for all of you.

One caveat: You will have to take over an already established team. Once I get the website back up you can browse the league.
No High Scores:

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

I've been messing with OOTP 5 and it has gotten way too addicting. Pulled a Royals and went on the cheap the first two seasons which led to two straight 100 loss season. Now season 7 and I am finally over .500 with the best minor league system.

As long as this isn't a 10/20+ hour a week thing, I would like to be in.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Ok guys I have the sign up list in an Excel file and I want this to be first come first serve. My website guy is out of town right now. When he's back I'll post the league file so you guys can take a look at the teams, etc. Right now it looks like I will have plenty of spots open as a lot of the old guys haven't updated to the 2006 version. (John, I am holding Boise for you if you still want in.)

db
snate
dave
james
jared
leebo
rubba
+ 3 guys from the blog

I should be able to fit everyone in.

The teams most likely to be available include:

Colorado Springs
Spokane
Los Dos Laredos
Novi
Capital City
Prescott
Camarillo
Victoria
Santa Fe
Albany

So if there is a city that you want, let me know.

As for time, this is the sort of thing that you can devote whatever time you want to -- its up to you. You are required to submit a league file to me via FTP at least once a week (we sim M/W/F around 10PM ET or so). That can take as much as 5 minutes or seveal hours, depending on what you want to do -- move players up or down in the minors, shift rotations, lineups, change manage profiles, etc.

Another important requirement is trade talks. Of course you aren't required to trade players but you do need to be able to reply to trade offers from other players in a prompt manner. Nothing is more annoying that sending out a detailed trade offer to a player and then to have that player ignore you and never reply. Even a "no thanks" is enough of a reply -- just don't leave players hanging.

An online league like this is only as good as the other players make it.

As commish, I do what I can to post league news, send out league emails, and keep the website updated regularly, but active participation from players makes these leagues work and it's what made the NCBL a big success with OOTP 4-6.

New players will have a lot of league history to sort through. We are about to start the 2023 season so there's around 20 years of league history there.

Other player responsibilities include:

--Offering players contract extensions (rules on this will be provided later)
--Offering FA contracts during the FA period
--The June rookie draft -- you can take part in this or send me a draft list or allow the CPU to do it. We usually hold the draft via an IRC chat channel and it's a lot of fun so I suggest trying to make the draft if you can. We won't draft every round as the new game has a LOT of rounds but we'll usually do the first 5 or so.
No High Scores:

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Yea, I'm in with Boise.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

That sounds so awesome, but it would be foolish and irresponsible for me to make any new gaming commitments at this point given my schedule.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Mark me down for whichever city has the wettest, most miserable weather. I like to feel at home - anything over 20C makes me unhappy.

<digs out copy of 'Moneyball' and makes note to try to understand it this time>
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

Bill, I sent you a PM.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Prescott for me if possible.

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

I’d be interested in playing too if there is still room.

Is it going to be a couple weeks until you start this up? I’ve never played any of the previous OOTP series before this or any online league for that matter. I’d like to get a tad more familiarized with the game.

I think the things I need to learn the most are going to be contracts, free agency, and the waivers and DFA process. Well, basically anything outside the playing of an actual game.

But I can learn as I go if that’s not a bother to anyone.

Unless there is a team in Florida, Vermont or a Rochester, NY, I’ll take whatever team.

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

One other thing, are you going to wait for a patch to come out first. I know when playing a game I've seen the AI do some weird things with the pitching like bring closers to early. On a couple of occasions I thought a pitcher was left in too long. I don't know if these happen only if you manage a game or if they occur during sim's as well.

I've also read about a stat tracking bug or two, like saves getting added to wins.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

peabody wrote:One other thing, are you going to wait for a patch to come out first. I know when playing a game I've seen the AI do some weird things with the pitching like bring closers to early. On a couple of occasions I thought a pitcher was left in too long. I don't know if these happen only if you manage a game or if they occur during sim's as well.

I've also read about a stat tracking bug or two, like saves getting added to wins.
could that be the manager settings?

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

According to the forums, patch 1.0.1 is out tomorrow.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

This isn't for Bill's league, but rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one.

A league I'm participating in, http://ootp.oldredboat.com/index.php, has an opening. This is a 20 team league with fictional players, that is currently in year 2. It's a great league, with some great owners. If anyone is interested in joining, shoot me a PM.

The opening is for Los Alamos. The previous owner drove the team into the ground financially, but we've come up with a plan to help the new owner get the franchise back on their feet.

Thanks.