OT: What happened to good manners??

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

OT: What happened to good manners??

Post by JackDiggity »

Sen McCain deserved better. Their fellow students deserved better. If you want to protest Sen McCain do it outside. Such rude behavior toward an invited guest of the university, especially as it also marred a special day for those in attendance, is simply despicable. College commencement ceremonies are meant to be solemn occasions, where graduates and their families reflect on what has been accomplished and what is yet to come. Aside from the fact that he had recently delivered almost the same speech at Liberty University, there was nothing particularly controversial. McCain’s speech was largely apolitical and contained much of the normal platitudes expected on such occasions.

Selfish pricks. McCain is a hero. Hanoi Hilton ring a bell asswipes??

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/ ... 8188.shtml

P.S...... f*** the idiots at Boston College too.
Last edited by JackDiggity on Mon May 22, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

BC had silent protests and there was ZERO arrests or disruptiuon in the service which is the right way to do things.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

Zlax45 wrote:BC had silent protests and there was ZERO arrests or disruptiuon in the service which is the right way to do things.
Bullshit. The right way is to do it outside the commencement ceremonies. Again....f*** the idiots at BC too.
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I don't have a political opinion of Sen. McCain, but he's a hero without a doubt for what he and his compadres endured. It's a sad, sad commentary that personal history and bravery take a backseat to stupidass politics...

I hate 'em more everyday...

On another note, I heard audio today of some woman (can't recall her name) who used a commencement speech to talk nothing about commencement, and just carry on about her hatred of Bush. She's got the right to do it, but c'mon...none of those graduates or parents were there to hear one person's rancorous political garbage.

Oh, and the boo's and catcalls in the audio were so loud that you couldn't hear what she was saying after about one minute...so good for them.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

JackDiggity wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:BC had silent protests and there was ZERO arrests or disruptiuon in the service which is the right way to do things.
Bullshit. The right way is to do it outside the commencement ceremonies. Again....f*** the idiots at BC too.
Oh that had vocal protests outside the football stadium. Sorry, but let the students and faculty speak their minds as it is their right. Not one student interrupted her speech today or got arrested. The ones that did protest during the ceremony just turned their backs to her.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

When I graduated from Michigan in 1991, we had Pres. Bush give the commencement. I was no Bush fan then (for crying out loud I voted for Jesse Jackson in the Michigan primaries and Dukakis in the '88 election - WTF was I smoking then?), but at least I hat the decency to give him the respect he deserved for what he had done to serve his country and the capacity he was serving at the time. Same for Pres. Carter when I graduated from Rice, and if anything he'd get a hard time in the South! I can't even remember who was the 3rd graduation speaker.

Think back when you were that age; most students are young and stupid. They wouldn't know class if it punched them in the face. Ditto for most university professors, except their old and stupid. Graduation should be about the celebration of the event, not politics.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

You know, for places that are supposed to encourage discussion and diverse viewpoints, universities are terribly close-minded. My brother, who founded the Free State Project, got his Ph.D. at Yale, has an IQ off the charts, and is a really nice guy, had every door closed to him in his search for an associate professorship because of his politics. The funny thing is, even conservative places like Baylor shunned him because libertarianism doesn't mesh well with their views.

Anyway, this incident seems to reflect standard university indoctrination...the students probably consider themselves to be enlightened free thinkers, but they're just doing what they've been trained to do.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

You do understand probably 70 percent of BC's student population is from New England and New York state thus Bush is not well liked in this area.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

FatPitcher wrote: but they're just doing what they've been trained to do.
Monkey see...monkey do.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I try and stay out of these threads, but the standard issue "universities are terribly close-minded" stuff is a bunch of bull. There is the occasional idiot teaching at a university that tries to push stupid ideas, but universities are anything but close-minded. These stories of "indoctrination" are almost always groundless, and are often pushed by people that can't compete within the marketplace of ideas (e.g. David Horowitz).

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Jack, I read the article. I fail to read anywhere in that article where they took issue with his service. I don't quite understand your logic here. Nor do I get teals.

He served admirably. The protestors got their 15 minutes. He got up and spoke. Like it or not freedom of speech was had by all. Don't know about you but I call that democracy.

I just don't understand the logic behind his service and expecting the general public to give him a free pass his politics of today. I got to see the man in DC with Sen. Kennedy and it was a moment I'll never forget. I certainly like the man. His politics this year have moved to the right. And that is what people are taking issue with not his service. Your statement was simplistically stupid. By your logic, you are saying McCain's politics of 2006 should be overshadowed by his service in Korea. Again, I fail to read anywhere in that article that had the students criticizing his service. Maybe I misread it, certainly you should be able to point me to the spot in the article that mentions this.

I personally hate protestors like this, most of it is to get on TV. But the sad fact is that a quiet protest does nothing which forces people to get on TV to drive home their point. Otherwise the politicians wave at you as they walk into the building.

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

JRod wrote:Jack, I read the article. I fail to read anywhere in that article where they took issue with his service. I don't quite understand your logic here. Nor do I get teals.
My logic is simple. Try reading my statement again:
JackDiggity wrote:Sen McCain deserved better. Their fellow students deserved better. If you want to protest Sen McCain do it outside. Such rude behavior toward an invited guest of the university, especially as it also marred a special day for those in attendance, is simply despicable. College commencement ceremonies are meant to be solemn occasions, where graduates and their families reflect on what has been accomplished and what is yet to come.
JRod wrote:The protestors got their 15 minutes. He got up and spoke. Like it or not freedom of speech was had by all. Don't know about you but I call that democracy.
I call it selfish bullshit. If I just dropped 100K + on my son's education, I do not want idiots bringing politics up at his commencement ceremonies.
That's not the place for politics. Period. I am all for free speech and protest but in the proper time and place. Show some respect for your fellow students and their families. Show some manners. Because believe it or not, some of your fellow classmates might want to hear what the guest has to say.
JRod wrote: His politics this year have moved to the right. And that is what people are taking issue with not his service. Your statement was simplistically stupid. By your logic, you are saying McCain's politics of 2006 should be overshadowed by his service in Korea.

No,that's not my logic at all. I mentioned his service because it means something to me. And like yourself,I'll bet most of those that tried to disrupt the commencement ceremonies have no clue what Sen McCain has been through.

His service in Korea? Stupid?? Maybe you should check up on McCains history before you throw that word around.
JRod wrote: I personally hate protestors like this, most of it is to get on TV. But the sad fact is that a quiet protest does nothing which forces people to get on TV to drive home their point. Otherwise the politicians wave at you as they walk into the building.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I am not sure why people are protesting John McCain of all people. And what does Bush have to do with McCain? I just don't get it. Is McCain making nice with W? Sure, cause he is running for president and needs the backing of the Bush camp.

McCain has more principles than 99 percent of the politicicians in DC. He has taken on the special interests, he has taken on the tobacco companies, he served his country in Vietnam.

And certainly universities and university towns are just as intolerant as any other place. I remember when I lived in Chapel Hill there was a huge issue when a local group wanted to start a house in a middle class neighborhood for mentally challenged adults. There were lots of comments about bringing down property values and "those people could rape our daughters". The same people who wanted to save the whales and fight Apartheid certainly changed their stripes when faced with something in their own back yard.

Is it any wonder that I feel more compassion for a horse with a broken leg than I do for a lot of the people in this world? In fact, I think I am going to go pray for Barbaro, maybe even send him a get well card. That will be my silent protest for the day.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

kevinpars wrote:Is it any wonder that I feel more compassion for a horse with a broken leg than I do for a lot of the people in this world? In fact, I think I am going to go pray for Barbaro, maybe even send him a get well card. That will be my silent protest for the day.
My United Way contribution each year goes to the local SPCA.

I agree that they should leave the protests outside, families come from sometimes long distances to see the graduation ceremonies, it has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with respect for your fellow human beings, which is sorely lacking everywhere these days.

And college? It's just high school without mommy and daddy grounding you for acting like a moron. (Now THAT will get the ball rollin!)
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: What happened to good manners??

Post by matthewk »

JackDiggity wrote: College commencement ceremonies are meant to be solemn occasions, where graduates and their families reflect on what has been accomplished and what is yet to come.
Then why invite a politician, or any other lightning rod for strong opposition to the ceremony? Was one of his kids graduating? If not, then don't invite him to speak if there is a good chance people will protest his presence.
-Matt

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'm a jackass, I brought two beach balls to my college graduation.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

fsquid wrote:I'm a jackass, I brought two beach balls to my college graduation.
:lol: ...They werent blue?...were they?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

If you are waiting for manners from today's youth you will be waiting a LONG time. I don't mean to categorize all but most young people today have a sense of entitlement that borders on lunacy. They have grown up in an "instant gratification" society where they expect to be handed everything. Again, this is not all young people but it has sure escalated over the past decade. Maybe my bitterness is because I teach and have to deal with it everyday.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Diablo25 wrote:If you are waiting for manners from today's youth you will be waiting a LONG time. I don't mean to categorize all but most young people today have a sense of entitlement that borders on lunacy. They have grown up in an "instant gratification" society where they expect to be handed everything. Again, this is not all young people but it has sure escalated over the past decade. Maybe my bitterness is because I teach and have to deal with it everyday.
What an old canard! "Today's Youth" have been vilified and pigeon-holed like this since time immemorial (well, maybe not that long, but one old chestnut deserves another). The young are just that - young - and as we age we hopefully get a touch of wisdom and see further the follies of youth. It is more likely that you have changed more in the past ten years than the kids are so different. They may have different things as symbols of defiance and rudeness - far fewer cell phones a decade ago, for instance - but the basic core behavior is the same. The "teddy boys and beatniks" of the fifites are to the "hippie longhairs" of the sixties are to the "me-generation" seventies are to the "mind-rotting MTV" eighties are to the "baggy pants and beepers" nineties are to the "MySpace" noughties.

Every generation challenges the beliefs and practices of the prior ones. Any sense of entitlement is inherent in the American way - we try to make sure our children have it better than ourselves. Perhaps we should, as adults, think about what sort of society we reflect back upon the young.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Ah, hell folks-there's no debate over this. I dunno why there's an argument. Rude is rude. I don't give a flat damn about your politics or persuasions, nor those of anyone else. Being rude is childish and pathetic. End of story.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

matthewk wrote: Then why invite a politician, or any other lightning rod for strong opposition to the ceremony? Was one of his kids graduating? If not, then don't invite him to speak if there is a good chance people will protest his presence.
Well that takes about every interesting person right out of the mix.
I don't think he had any kids there,but I am pretty sure "Slick Willie" had some DNA matches at some of his commencement speeches.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

JackDiggity wrote:
matthewk wrote: Then why invite a politician, or any other lightning rod for strong opposition to the ceremony? Was one of his kids graduating? If not, then don't invite him to speak if there is a good chance people will protest his presence.
I don't think he had any kids there,but I am pretty sure "Slick Willie" had some DNA matches at some of his commencement speeches.
Well, so much for good manners.

This is representative of a general decline in civility in politics. Attack ads, talk radio, SBVs, Michael Moore, Sean Hannity, etc are symptoms of the problem. Maybe it's always been like this to an extent, but extreme partisanship on both ends of the political spectrum makes it next to impossible to build consensus on anything, much less hold it for long enough to achieve meaningful results.

I really don't care if McCain or any other speaker gets heckled. Regardless of what he's done in his previous life, McCain has been a politician for decades and is fair game. But I'm concerned we're at the point now where everything is politicized and it affects the ability to govern the country.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

sfz_T-car wrote: This is representative of a general decline in civility in politics. Attack ads, talk radio, SBVs, Michael Moore, Sean Hannity, etc are symptoms of the problem. Maybe it's always been like this to an extent, but extreme partisanship on both ends of the political spectrum makes it next to impossible to build consensus on anything, much less hold it for long enough to achieve meaningful results.
So very true.
I see it in here every political thread. Eeverything to the extreme.

Bush and Kerry were both satan on earth....was sorta sad for someone with no affiliation...The pure intolerance makes you want to puke.

Boths sides are right sometimes...neither is right all the time...

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

sfz_T-car wrote:
JackDiggity wrote:
I don't think he had any kids there,but I am pretty sure "Slick Willie" had some DNA matches at some of his commencement speeches. :wink:
Well, so much for good manners.

What?? I forgot to add the wink. There I fixed it. Can we all join hands now and buy the world a coke? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

EZSnappin wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:If you are waiting for manners from today's youth you will be waiting a LONG time. I don't mean to categorize all but most young people today have a sense of entitlement that borders on lunacy. They have grown up in an "instant gratification" society where they expect to be handed everything. Again, this is not all young people but it has sure escalated over the past decade. Maybe my bitterness is because I teach and have to deal with it everyday.
What an old canard! "Today's Youth" have been vilified and pigeon-holed like this since time immemorial (well, maybe not that long, but one old chestnut deserves another). The young are just that - young - and as we age we hopefully get a touch of wisdom and see further the follies of youth. It is more likely that you have changed more in the past ten years than the kids are so different. They may have different things as symbols of defiance and rudeness - far fewer cell phones a decade ago, for instance - but the basic core behavior is the same. The "teddy boys and beatniks" of the fifites are to the "hippie longhairs" of the sixties are to the "me-generation" seventies are to the "mind-rotting MTV" eighties are to the "baggy pants and beepers" nineties are to the "MySpace" noughties.

Every generation challenges the beliefs and practices of the prior ones. Any sense of entitlement is inherent in the American way - we try to make sure our children have it better than ourselves. Perhaps we should, as adults, think about what sort of society we reflect back upon the young.
Your opinion, but I think you are flat out wrong. Yeah, lets just say its cyclical. That is the easy way out. Sorry, I'm not buying it.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25