MLB 2006 The Show Demo at EBGames for a Pre-Order

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

My 2 cents....
I have tried every HH PC version that came along and there was always something a little boring about HH to me. The atmosphere is just so dull compared to some of the other games. It did play out a great game of baseball, but to me it was always like a stat based game with a decent graphics face over it. The players all moved very stiff and the sound effects were horrible. MLB, The Show has most of the things that made HH great, but with a MUCH better graphics and sound package that just adds to the overall immersion factor to me. When you played HH, you knew you were playing a PC game. When you play The Show, you can almost trick your brain into thinking you are watching a real game. I could never go back to HH on the PC. I need a little more visual and audio "umph" from my games. But that's just me.

billharris44
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by billharris44 »

Well, this was a surprising discovery. I'd been playing the PSP version for weeks and was just blown away by how good it was. I picked up the PS2 version tonight because my screen (like most HD sets) upscales 480i content, and I thought it might look pretty good.

Well, it looks like ass compared to the PSP version. I expected it to not look as good because of the huge difference in screen sizes, but it was an unbelievable difference. And some of the animations seem a little too fast, as well as some of the throws. The PSP version has bright, vivid color, and the animations and throws are just perfectly tuned. It's by far the best I've ever seen in a baseball game.

So you guys need to go buy PSP's if you're already enjoying the PS2 version, because the PSP version is out of this world in comparison. :D

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I think the PSP version looks fantastic. I think it looks better than MLB2K6 360 is a lot of ways...I'm not kidding.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Funny... the PS2 version looks great to me on my HD set. I mean, I think the PSP version is a great looking game, but it's pretty low res by comparison to it's console counterpart, to these eyes. I like the player cutscenes that are missing from the PSP version as well.

I've go the PS2 hooked up via s-video these days. Haven't tried it with component.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

billharris44 wrote:Well, this was a surprising discovery. I'd been playing the PSP version for weeks and was just blown away by how good it was. I picked up the PS2 version tonight because my screen (like most HD sets) upscales 480i content, and I thought it might look pretty good.

Well, it looks like ass compared to the PSP version. I expected it to not look as good because of the huge difference in screen sizes, but it was an unbelievable difference. And some of the animations seem a little too fast, as well as some of the throws. The PSP version has bright, vivid color, and the animations and throws are just perfectly tuned. It's by far the best I've ever seen in a baseball game.

So you guys need to go buy PSP's if you're already enjoying the PS2 version, because the PSP version is out of this world in comparison. :D
this game isn't really meant to be viewed on a fancy tv. on a regular tv, it looks great, really great, even better than some xbox games. but on hdtv it's not the best. even at best buy they had it running on those small hdtv's, looks like a ps1 game with tons of jaggies.

if you still have a standard tv around, hook it up and check it out, it's really a beautiful game.

billharris44
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by billharris44 »

Slumberland wrote:Funny... the PS2 version looks great to me on my HD set. I mean, I think the PSP version is a great looking game, but it's pretty low res by comparison to it's console counterpart, to these eyes. I like the player cutscenes that are missing from the PSP version as well.

I've go the PS2 hooked up via s-video these days. Haven't tried it with component.
Maybe component just isn't the way to go with this game, based on your comment and Slumberland's.

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

I played my first game of MLB 06 on a standard TV last night through S-Video connection (my wife was hogging the HDTV) and couldn't believe how much worse it looked. I think this game looks incredible (for a PS2 game) on my widescreen HDTV through component cables. It's MUCH sharper and jag-free.
www.SportsGamingNation.com

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

billharris44 wrote:
Slumberland wrote:Funny... the PS2 version looks great to me on my HD set. I mean, I think the PSP version is a great looking game, but it's pretty low res by comparison to it's console counterpart, to these eyes. I like the player cutscenes that are missing from the PSP version as well.

Maybe component just isn't the way to go with this game, based on your comment and Slumberland's.
Here's how the game should look on a HDTV. The first pic is with a flash and the second is with true room lighting. These were taken by serialmike at OS

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I know that when i hooked up my PS2 to my HDTV...simple hookup with composites and S-Video...it did not look good at all. It looks much better on my standard 32" Sharp TV in the bedroom. Maybe if you are using component cables it looks better but not with the basic hookup.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I think the phrase "your mileage will vary" applies here. So many different setups with different results.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

The game looks awful on my 52 inch DLP, almost like an early PSX Triple Play game, very jaggy and pixellated. However, when I play it on my 24 inch analog tv, it looks awesome, it is hard to believe it is actually the same game.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I picked up the game last night. It looks decent on my LCD TV, but it's a bit dark and fuzzy looking. Gonna try it on my standard 25" Magnavox tv this evening.

I am amazed at how much better the animations and player models look on MLB compared to MLB 2K6 for the 360.

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

MLB 06 is sweet - that's the best way I can describe it. We just started our MLB online league last week and it even plays great online.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

billharris44 wrote:Well, this was a surprising discovery. I'd been playing the PSP version for weeks and was just blown away by how good it was. I picked up the PS2 version tonight because my screen (like most HD sets) upscales 480i content, and I thought it might look pretty good.
Odd, I'd say it looks great on my 57" Tosh RPTV.

The complaints so far don't suggest its a stretching problem so I assume everyone knows that there is a widescreen option, as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Maybe it's a side effect of certain fixed pixel displays? My TV is an old school CRT so it may soften the image a little, but it still looks pretty slick.

Now if only my Slim PS2's optical drive would see fit to spin, I'd actually be able to play the game again... :evil: :evil: :evil:

-G7

billharris44
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by billharris44 »

GameSeven wrote:
Odd, I'd say it looks great on my 57" Tosh RPTV.

The complaints so far don't suggest its a stretching problem so I assume everyone knows that there is a widescreen option, as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Maybe it's a side effect of certain fixed pixel displays? My TV is an old school CRT so it may soften the image a little, but it still looks pretty slick.

Now if only my Slim PS2's optical drive would see fit to spin, I'd actually be able to play the game again... :evil: :evil: :evil:

-G7
I have no idea at this point. The Panasonic plasma I have has a very good scaler, and some PS2 games look terrific that way, so I have no idea about this one. I'm glad that other people are having better luck than I am. And I'm really happy with the PSP version, so no real problems for me, either.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Played online against Jason last night and was impressed by the lack of lag in the pitching meter... that was always an adjustment I'd have to make of the couple of first innings with EA baseball online. I need to switch my franchise camera views back to default to get used to them though... I was totally unable to judge offspeed pitches from the catcher cam after having used the offset all this time to bat.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I would like to join a league. DO u have room Jason?

Jason wrote:MLB 06 is sweet - that's the best way I can describe it. We just started our MLB online league last week and it even plays great online.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Sudz......I'm selling one for $90. pm me if you want one.
The Show is worth getting a PS2 for!
Sudz wrote:damn. makes me wish i had a ps2... phooey.

how are the simmed seasons?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Jack,

Did your PS2 come with a set-up disk to get online? If not, how are you getting online to download the updated rosters?

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

Most of the new games have the network software on the game disc. I just set up a network connection two nights ago with the WE 9 disc.

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

JackB1 wrote:I would like to join a league. DO u have room Jason?

Jason wrote:MLB 06 is sweet - that's the best way I can describe it. We just started our MLB online league last week and it even plays great online.
Jack,

Our league started already, but you'd be more than welcome in joining us for Ladder games. We may start another league at some point too.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Jason wrote:Most of the new games have the network software on the game disc. I just set up a network connection two nights ago with the WE 9 disc.
Thanks Jason.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

The game is great looking on my 32" standard zenith HDTV. No jaggies, no weird colors, sharp image. I'm using component cables. Even more impressive is the absence of stuttering even in widescreen mode. And the lack of online button lag is a step ahead of EA's MVP NCAA game.
Hating and Insurging since '85.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

yes it did come with a disc. I haven't gone online yet with the game.
does Sony charge for onlince access, like for XBL?

sportdan30 wrote:Jack,

Did your PS2 come with a set-up disk to get online? If not, how are you getting online to download the updated rosters?

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Anyone else who's connecting through a router having problems connecting with other users while online?

I can get to the lobbies etc, but whenever I try to play somebody we never make the connection.