Bonds - tell me something I don't know

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

McGuire had high strikeouts, nowhere near as many walks. You can't tell me McGuire didn't strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers. Plus the Cardinals had a much better supporting cast.

Sosa also struck out a lot I believe.

I don't follow baseball stats like I used to. What about the real high average?

And despite nobody wanting to pitch to him, he still put up big numbers. Hell they even walked him at least a couple of times with the bases loaded and several times to put runners in scoring position.

My analogy to Ryan and Clemens is not that they became even better flamethrowers. My point is they became pitchers, having better command of the game.

I thought Yount and some others had big jumps in power numbers, not necessarily at the end of their careers but later. Like the numbers were statistical outliers compared to the median/average. Maybe I'm mistaken.

If not HRs, maybe they had a big jump in doubles as well as average and RBIs. You can argue that could have been due to steroids or you can say in those cases, the players got better and had peak years or career years.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

wco81 wrote:McGuire had high strikeouts, nowhere near as many walks. You can't tell me McGuire didn't strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers. Plus the Cardinals had a much better supporting cast.

The reason McGwire and Sosa didn't get the walks is they simply weren't as good hitters as Bonds, thus they didn't get pitched around as much. They all had roughly equal power on roids, but Bonds was always a better all around hitter than those guys pre-roids, so of course is he going to be a better hitter when they are all on roids too.

Second, it is not at all a stretch to equate increased average and doubles to steroids. If you are stronger at the plate, not only do you hit the ball farther, but you generate more bat speed. Greater bat speed means harder line drives as well as longer fly balls, but more importantly means you get your bat through the strike zone faster. That gives batters an extra split second to gauge the pitch, and decide what to do with it. They then can take balls they wouldn't have before, drive the ball the other way better than ever before, and overall just build confidence at the plate. That's just basic hitting 101 that any high school coach will tell you.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

pk500 wrote:My point is that there are people out there who think Bonds is receiving unfair treatment from the media and fans, pointing out that he wasn't the only one who was on the juice.

Well, that's silly. That's like saying if the President of the United States is caught accepting a bribe, he should be treated with the same amount of coverage and scrutiny as a freshman Congressman who did the same thing.

Bonds will receive more scrutiny because he's, well, Barry Bonds. He's a megastar on the edge of statistical immortality, not Mario Mendoza.

Take care,
PK

But he isn't the only one on the juice. We all know that.

Like I said earlier, Bonds does need to be ripped, but it is to the point where people are teeing off on Bonds and are forgetting that he is just a small part of the problem. So you feel he needs all of this because of who he is? What about the scrubs out there on that junk who will become the next Sammy Sosa or Brady Anderson? What about the players that are stars NOW? The ones that people feel are not on the juice because they don't "look it" when Palmeiro and others have already proven that wrong, that you don't have to look like the Incredible Hulk.

And I read your take on Clemens. How do we know he isn't on the stuff, also? He's another one that got better with "age". So he dealt out his workout sched. Big deal. He's friggin' almost in his mid-40's and pitching better than alot of all star pitchers in their prime. I find that highly suspicious.

You can't just mark your territory on Bonds, because you are giving baseball and the many other players that are about to "blow up" a way to wiggle out of this. Baseball should be everyone's main target in all of this. They knew Bonds was on 'roids and they let him do as he pleased because it meant more money in their pockets. Now that this book came out, Selig and Co. try to come off as righteous and talk down on this situation. Such bullcrap.

You want someone to blame for Bonds possibly breaking Aaron's record...point your anger at baseball.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:
wco81 wrote:McGuire had high strikeouts, nowhere near as many walks. You can't tell me McGuire didn't strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers. Plus the Cardinals had a much better supporting cast.

The reason McGwire and Sosa didn't get the walks is they simply weren't as good hitters as Bonds, thus they didn't get pitched around as much. They all had roughly equal power on roids, but Bonds was always a better all around hitter than those guys pre-roids, so of course is he going to be a better hitter when they are all on roids too.

I agree completely...

McGwire and Sosa never had any plate discipline to begin with. Never bothered to learn it either. They were always one trick ponies.

Like I said... Bonds, unlike those two, was an Hofer before he juiced.

Does working out make make your hat size double? Bonds head seemed to just keep growing...

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So now, where does everyone stand on Lance Armstrong and the L'Equipe reporters? :lol:

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

wco81 wrote:So now, where does everyone stand on Lance Armstrong and the L'Equipe reporters? :lol:
They're French so they can't be trusted. :wink:
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

reeche wrote:
wco81 wrote:So now, where does everyone stand on Lance Armstrong and the L'Equipe reporters? :lol:
The French found a banned substances in Armstrong's hotel room.

Soap....

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah the French are casting aspersions on someone who's done more good works than anyone since Mother Theresa.

Meanwhile, Bonds is a certified asshole.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

wco81 wrote:Yeah the French are casting aspersions on someone who's done more good works than anyone since Mother Theresa.

Meanwhile, Bonds is a certified asshole.

I was kidding of course. Unlike most people I'm not some major Lance Armstrong guy. To be honest I don't follow the cycling world though so I'm not up to date on the latest info involving that world. Personally it wouldn't stun me if he had used something but I'm not informed enough to speak on him or his sport.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'm not informed enough to speak
Like that's ever stopped anyone around here or anywhere on the Internet. :P

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I think Lance doped up. I have no proof but there's been too many incidents to just be coincidence.

Bonds has always been a racist against whites. I posted that link from last year where he told Ron Kittle who was trying to get his autograph to help kids with cancer 'I don't sign autographs for white people'. Or the things he's said about wanting to break Babe Ruth's record because he was white.

The funny thing about Bonds is whenever the heat gets on him, he plays the I'm a discriminated black man' card. This is complete bullshit. I hate when he does that when people like his father and his godfather Willie Mays ACTUALLY had to go through tons of racism while coming up in the 50s and 60s. Barry grew up in a white well to do neighborhood because his father was a baseball player.

It comes down to him just be a mega-insecure person. He never needed steroids , he would have made the hall of fame easily. But his ego and insecurity got the best of him.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

XXXIV wrote:
Zlax45 wrote:Bonds injects his race into most of these articles...He made some comments about Boston in 1999 saying Boston was a racist city.

He is the Jessie Jackson of baseball.
I'll also make another point here about Bonds and Boston....He has never set foot in this city to play a game. :roll:

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

He probably feared he would be beaten up for being black cause Boston's so racist. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Heh...Bonds being investigated for perjury by the feds.

All I can say is what the f*ck took so long?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2407968

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Heh...Bonds being investigated for perjury by the feds.

All I can say is what the f*ck took so long?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2407968
I thought perjury was no longer serious or a crime ... 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

XXXIV wrote:I thought perjury was no longer serious or a crime ... 8)
Palmeiro would certainly agree with you.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:I thought perjury was no longer serious or a crime ... 8)
Palmeiro would certainly agree with you.
I no know... I no hablo

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

XXXIV wrote:
reeche wrote:
The French found a banned substances in Armstrong's hotel room.

Soap....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

Inuyasha wrote:
Bonds has always been a racist against whites.

Just the men.
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson