Colin Mcrae 3

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FloridaGators
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by FloridaGators »

I sort of missed the boat on this game. How is it? Should I think about getting it for PS2 or get WRC? I heard WRC is too easy, so is CM 3 worth it?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

Gators:
<BR>
<BR>In all honesty, pick up a copy of Colin McRae 2.0 on the cheap for the PSX and play it on the PS2.
<BR>
<BR>CMR 3 was a letdown. You can only drive as McRae in the Focus in the career mode, not all parts are available at the start, you make none of your repairs at service, and the career mode lasts just three seasons. You can drive other cars in single-rally mode, but you can make no setup changes.
<BR>
<BR>Lame.
<BR>
<BR>You heard right about WRC. It´s a gorgeous game, but it´s WAY too easy. I crushed it on the easy and medium levels, winning the championship in a lark by winning every rally. I was en route to winning the title on the advanced mode when I owned a PS2 before deciding to sell the game.
<BR>
<BR>CMR 2.0 is the best console rally sim going. It has tons of options, multiplayer, multicar gaming for you and your buddies and is realistic as hell. Sure, it doesn´t look great because it´s a PSX game, but it is one of the better-looking PSX racing games. Turn on smoothing on your PS2, and CMR 2.0 doesn´t look half-bad.
<BR>
<BR>The only problem is CMR 2.0 is VERY hard to find for the PSX. I just checked half.com and eBay -- nothing. If you can´t get CMR 2.0, I would recommend WRC on the cheap. It´s easier to access, less difficult than the CMR games and includes the full WRC license. So it might turn you on to the greatest form of racing on Earth (editorial opinion!) while you´re enjoying the game.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 31-12-2003 13:02 ]</font>
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

FloridaGators
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by FloridaGators »

See, here´s my dilemma. I received money for 2 games to get on the PS2 for Christmas since my parents didn´t know what to buy. I wanted to get a sports game and a racing game most likely. I was probably leaning towards MM 2004 since I´m a college hoops nut and I prefer it to Sega´s game.
<BR>
<BR>What would be the strongest racing game on the PS2 besides WoO? Is there anything? I was looking at IndyCar Series. Any other suggestions?

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by mobiggins »

CMR 04 is coming out in March, if you can hold out. It´s got all the complaints from CMR 3.0 fixed, and it´s supposed to be good.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

Gators:
<BR>
<BR>This is heresy, but I wouldn´t get IndyCar Series for the PS2. You already have WoO, which still is the finest console oval racing game ever made. Everything else is downhill.
<BR>
<BR>I would recommend Burnout 2: Point of Impact. A fantastic arcade racer with a great sense of speed, and the crash mode is sick. A fun game to play with friends, too, and just a fine pick-up-and-play racer overall. Just don´t expect too much depth or realism.
<BR>
<BR>If you still want something more realistic, Pro Race Driver has a very good racing model, a decent driving model, real cars and real tracks. Grand Prix Challenge also is better than all of the EA F1 games combined if you´re jonesing for a Formula One game on the PS2.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 31-12-2003 15:53 ]</font>
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

FloridaGators
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by FloridaGators »

Thanks for the replies, pk and Mo. Has anybody played EA´s F1 Career Challenge? IGN´s review say it´s a solid sim. I´m considering the source, so what´s the verdict?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

EA´s F1 Career Challenge is utter s***, according to nearly everyone who has played it.
<BR>
<BR>IGN sucked the wand of a bad EA game -- wow, that´s never happened before. F1 Career Challenge supposedly uses the F1 2001 or 2002 engine -- an old driving engine -- with a career mode from the late 1990s to around 2002. In other words, your career won´t even include this season, and maybe not even 2002.
<BR>
<BR>Skip it, Gators. The consensus among gamers -- not sites that inhale EA payola like IGN -- is that F1 Career Challenge sucks a major wad.
<BR>
<BR>Grand Prix Challenge is a much better game. I played it last May in Indy on Neckthai´s PS2, and it´s a solid, solid game once you get the hang of the steering model and calibrate your Dual Shock properly.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK

FloridaGators
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by FloridaGators »

I can find that game for 10 bucks so I might consider it. I have played it before, it´s solid but didn´t want it for a price tag of 30 bucks. Now it´s almost a definite buy.

Titantron
Mario Mendoza

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by Titantron »

F1 Career Challenge is the best console F1 simulation. Grand Prix Challenge doesn´t even support analog control. Not everyone says that F1 Career Challenge is a dud.

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by mobiggins »

Coulda fooled me!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2004-01-02 09:35, Titantron wrote:
<BR>F1 Career Challenge is the best console F1 simulation. Grand Prix Challenge doesn´t even support analog control. Not everyone says that F1 Career Challenge is a dud.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Please pass the pipe this way.
<BR>
<BR>First off, F1 Career Challenge isn´t the best console F1 simulation. It´s not even close. I still contend that F1: Championship Edition (F1 ´97) for the PlayStation was the best.
<BR>
<BR>But F1 Career Challenge is a joke. EA simply played out the string of its F1 license and released that crapware. I´m not alone in that assessment. Let´s look at a few reader and media review sites:
<BR>
<BR>Gamerankings.com
<BR>F1 Career Challenge: Gamers (6.6); Reviewers (67 %)
<BR>Grand Prix Challenge: Gamers (8.0); Reviewers (76 %)
<BR>
<BR>Videogamereview.com
<BR>F1 Career Challenge: Users (3.67 out of 5)
<BR>Grand Prix Challenge: Users (4.56 out of 5)
<BR>
<BR>GameFAQs.com
<BR>F1 Career Challenge: Users (6 out of 10)
<BR>Grand Prix Challenge: User (10 out of 10, only one review)
<BR>
<BR>There you have it. You´re flying solo on this one. Care to give us details why F1 Career Challenge is superior?
<BR>
<BR>Just curious.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK

FloridaGators
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by FloridaGators »

Stupid question about WRC,
<BR>
<BR>Well I watched the WRC Rally-Thon (some of it) on Speed yesterday in between football and the World Series of Poker. Will the game include all those drivers?

Titantron
Mario Mendoza

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by Titantron »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE> But F1 Career Challenge is a joke. EA simply played out the string of its F1 license and released that crapware. I´m not alone in that assessment. Let´s look at a few reader and media review sites:
<BR> </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Have you played F1 Career Challenge? It sounds like you haven´t since you are relying on the word of others to form your opinion. How can you say that "it´s not even close"? Maybe you should try playing the game before making grand pronouncements. Not everyone hates it. Quite a few sites around the world like this game.
<BR>
<BR>Playstation Magazine 5 out of 5 100.0%
<BR>Gamers.com 10 out of 10 100.0%
<BR>In the Mix 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
<BR>Play UK 89 out of 100 89.0%
<BR>Total Games Network 89 out of 100 89.0%
<BR>Frag Land 87.2 out of 100 87.2%
<BR>GameBiz 81 out of 100 81.0%
<BR>Globe Technology 4 out of 5 80.0%
<BR>Silicon Fusion 8 out of 10 80.0%
<BR>GameSpot AU 8 out of 10 80.0%
<BR>P2 Magazine UK 8 out of 10 80.0%
<BR>New Zealand Herald 4 out of 5 80.0%
<BR>
<BR>We can throw various review scores at each other until we are blue in the face. All I am trying to point out is that not everyone dislikes F1 Career Challenge and it´s not as bad as you are making it out to be.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by DChaps »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2004-01-02 11:19, FloridaGators wrote:
<BR>Stupid question about WRC,
<BR>
<BR>Well I watched the WRC Rally-Thon (some of it) on Speed yesterday in between football and the World Series of Poker. Will the game include all those drivers?
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>I believe WRC is based on the 2001 WRC season, so many of the drivers you saw on Speed yesterday will be in the game, but several will not (I do not believe Sebastion Loeb is in the game). Also, due to licensing you will also not see Colin McRae in WRC. The biggest difference you will see is that many of the drivers in WRC are with different team/cars than what you witnessed yesterday.
<BR>
<BR>PS - On the subject of WRC, while I am excited about the new season in a few weeks, the coverage yesterday just further emphasized to me that we may have witnessed the last really good WRC Rally season for many years. The new rules and loss of drivers will make this next season seem like kind of a letdown. I hope to be proved wrong though.
<BR>
<BR>PPS - What really sucks is that WRC 3 and Colin McRae 4 are both out in other parts of the world, and both are getting very favorable reviews. Its a damn shame that Rally racing is not popular enough in the US to warrant us receiving these games in a timely manner (if at all).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

Titan:
<BR>
<BR>I have not played F1 Career Challenge, but I do know those who have. And they are people who know racing and whose opinion I trust about racing games, of which I can´t say about you.
<BR>
<BR>And the consensus of those knowledgable people is that F1 Career Challenge uses the same dodgy EA F1 driving and racing models and has a very limited career mode based on dated season data and driver lineups.
<BR>
<BR>Care to give me the specifics as to why you think the game is so good? I just gave you my reasons why I don´t think the game is a good purchase.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

Gators:
<BR>
<BR>Yeah, Don is spot-on. You´ll see Sainz, but with Ford. You´ll see Gronholm with Peugeot. I´m not sure if Martin is in the game.
<BR>
<BR>You´ll see Alister McRae with Hyundai, I believe, no Colin due to licensing, as Don said. Not sure about my boy Petter Solberg: He joined Subaru midway through 2001 from Ford, so I´m not sure where he´s located in the game.
<BR>
<BR>Still, WRC will have more of the drivers and cars that you became familiar with during the most awesome World Rally Marathon yesterday on Speed than any other WRC game out today.
<BR>
<BR>Another bonus of WRC: The stages are based on actual WRC stages, not just fictitious stages based on real environs.
<BR>
<BR>The game is a good place to start.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 02-01-2004 11:57 ]</font>

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by mobiggins »

There are some sites that actually gave Rugby 2004 good reviews, and that game is a stinking pile of coasterware.
<BR>
<BR>

Titantron
Mario Mendoza

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by Titantron »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Titan:
<BR>
<BR>I have not played F1 Career Challenge, but I do know those who have. And they are people who know racing and whose opinion I trust about racing games, of which I can´t say about you.
<BR>
<BR>And the consensus of those knowledgable people is that F1 Career Challenge uses the same dodgy EA F1 driving and racing models and has a very limited career mode based on dated season data and driver lineups.
<BR>
<BR>Care to give me the specifics as to why you think the game is so good? I just gave you my reasons why I don´t think the game is a good purchase.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
<BR> </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>You´ve talked to people who have played F1 CC and admit you have not played it. That´s not good grounds for making authoritative comments about a game.
<BR>
<BR>The game is not a perfect simulation but it is better than past EA F1 efforts. The physics are quite a bit better and the driver competition is much smarter. There is no definitive F1 simulation on any console. Each has some strengths and weaknesses. Play the game and then we can talk.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

How do you compare F1 Career Challenge to Grand Prix Challenge? What are the specific strengths and weaknesses when you played both?
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

Titan:
<BR>
<BR>I´m also curious about your racing game creds and opinions, since you´re new to DSP.
<BR>
<BR>What racing games do you consider the best in these racing genres?
<BR>
<BR>Oval
<BR>Road
<BR>Arcade
<BR>PC
<BR>
<BR>Just curious.
<BR>
<BR>Out,
<BR>PK

Titantron
Mario Mendoza

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by Titantron »

You appear to be missing the point. I posted in this thread expressing my opinion of F1 CC. Now you are questioning my racing credentials? My racing credentials have nothing to do with the fact that you never played the game yet decided to slam it. How laughable! You seem to forget that you have not even played the game. Quit trying to change the subject and save face.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by pk500 »

Uh, yeah, I am changing the subject because there´s not much more to discuss about F1 Career Challenge. You have your educated opinion; I have mine based on feedback from sites and people I trust. Nothing will change that.
<BR>
<BR>But I am asking for your honest opinion on racing games since you´re new to DSP and I don´t know you. Racing games are a very popular genre here, and I think others besides me would like to know your opinion.
<BR>
<BR>Sorry that I didn´t start a separate thread for you. I figured moving from one racing question to another in the same thread would be a smooth dovetail.
<BR>
<BR>If asking the sincere question tears your skin, so be it. Don´t answer it. But I´m sincerely asking your opinion of top racing games in various genres.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 05-01-2004 06:48 ]</font>

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Colin Mcrae 3

Post by F308GTB »

Long time no write.
<BR>
<BR>Gotta agree - F1 Career Challenge (console version) is the pits. It was drudgery just getting through races. Lousy AI, suspect handling, rudimentary setups. It is a shame since the EA PC titles are pretty good. But on the consoles none of the EA F1 games evolved into anything decent. My opinion is based on playing well over 100 console racing games of all type.
<BR>
<BR>BTW, my faves for the different types of racing
<BR>
<BR>Oval - NASCAR Heat 2002 (prefer PS2 version because of the Logitech FF wheel support) - best physics and AI IMO of any console racing game
<BR>
<BR>Road - perhaps Pro Race Driver, F355, Moto GP2 (Xbox), heck even GT3 as long as the AI doesn´t get near me
<BR>
<BR>Arcade - Vanishing Point, NFS3 (original or PS2 sequel), MSR/PGR series
<BR>
<BR>PC - GPL all the way
<BR>
<BR>James, Xbox tag F308GTB