WE9 Impressions Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

i think you can stretch it, but not true widescreen.
Hating and Insurging since '85.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Zeppo wrote:Feanor:

I used to think it wasn't true as well, and resisted a long time! But further experimenting proved it to be true to me. Try it out in training!
Well, you're right. :) I set up a volley from a corner on Play Again and pressing left almost always made the volley go left and pressing right almost always made the volley go right. Can't believe I never knew this.

I'm still working on exactly how Up and Down affect the shot.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Diablo25 wrote:Again...can you play the game in widescreen?
It stretches, but it's not true 16:9. Still better than last year, at least.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Granatofan wrote:i think you can stretch it, but not true widescreen.
Thanks. I recently moved my Xbox to my 32" standard TV. If widescreen was available I was going to move it back out to the HDTV :) I still might.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Feanor wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Feanor:

I used to think it wasn't true as well, and resisted a long time! But further experimenting proved it to be true to me. Try it out in training!
Well, you're right. :) I set up a volley from a corner on Play Again and pressing left almost always made the volley go left and pressing right almost always made the volley go right. Can't believe I never knew this.

I'm still working on exactly how Up and Down affect the shot.
Up is a powerful shot. Down is a weak shot. It's right in the manual. You can also hold shot and triangle or shot and x for a slightly powerful and slightly weaker shot.

How long you hold it down effect the height of the shot. Longer for higher. WE has the most convoluted model for shots of any video game and I don't mean that in a bad way. The player ratings are only part of it. Which button you press is only part of it. Everything has to come together for a great shot....balance, position of the ball in front or under the player, which foot, which side of the foot, the direction the ball is rolling and spinning on the ground. You can have two identical looking situations and the shot will come off the players foot different. If you watch replays you'll see exactly why the shot did what it did.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Granatofan wrote:The player ratings are only part of it. Which button you press is only part of it. Everything has to come together for a great shot....balance, position of the ball in front or under the player, which foot, which side of the foot, the direction the ball is rolling and spinning on the ground. .
My shooting has improved with patience. The player and ball do have to be in the right place to get off a great shot . Sometimes you arent afforded that extra split second though.

The game does have penalties I had them in back to back games today.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

If anybody want's to get a game in tonight, i'll be online. Send me a message!

Gamertag
tjung0831
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Granatofan wrote:Up is a powerful shot. Down is a weak shot. It's right in the manual. You can also hold shot and triangle or shot and x for a slightly powerful and slightly weaker shot.
That's only for free kicks, though.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Feanor wrote:
Granatofan wrote:Up is a powerful shot. Down is a weak shot. It's right in the manual. You can also hold shot and triangle or shot and x for a slightly powerful and slightly weaker shot.
That's only for free kicks, though.
You're right. There goes 2 years of erroneous thinking. At least I now know why my last 8 games have been so low scoring. I believe, after spending some time on the training pitch, that you can try to put the shot high or low in the net by holding the stick up and down.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I wonder if the hundreds of volleys I just missed on WE8I were partly because I thought I should press UP to aim for the left of the net and DOWN to aim for the right of the net, when I should have been using LEFT and RIGHT.

So, if we're playing left to right:

UP = straight at goalie (high)
DOWN = straight at goalie (low)

LEFT = towards left side of the net
RIGHT = towards right side of net

And the diagonals:

UP & LEFT = towards top left corner of net
DOWN & LEFT = towards bottom left corner of net

UP & RIGHT = towards top right corner of net
DOWN & RIGHT = towards bottom right corner of net

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well, I finally got the cellophane off this baby despite buying it Wednesday. Been really busy with work and family.

Anyways, I have very little to add to what's been written here. I think the ball physics are MUCH improved, and I love the way it seems like my CPU-controlled players are better and more reactive on defense. The lively ball physics have a lot to do with that. It seems tougher for the CPU offense can move down the pitch with pinpoint passing, probably again due to the ball physics.

My biggest delight is at the number of fouls called on the CPU. Finally! I played as Chelsea v. Arsenal on three stars (my usual level) tonight, and Arsenal had more fouls than me. I can recall very few games in WE 8 where the CPU had more fouls than me.

Anyways, this game is a gem. It represents the highest level of realism and sophistication for any console team sports game in the world.

Konami has raised the bar even higher. Amazing.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Feanor wrote:I wonder if the hundreds of volleys I just missed on WE8I were partly because I thought I should press UP to aim for the left of the net and DOWN to aim for the right of the net, when I should have been using LEFT and RIGHT.
That would explain why I keep heading the ball over the net...that's for sure.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Has anyone noticed players sending through balls on short passes near the box? I'm pressing the short pass button, but I've seen a couple players aggressively (and unsuccessfully) try the through ball rather than the direct pass I was expecting.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I need some proof dudes and what f***in stick, i dont believe any of you i think your screwing with people to gain an edge.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:Has anyone noticed players sending through balls on short passes near the box? I'm pressing the short pass button, but I've seen a couple players aggressively (and unsuccessfully) try the through ball rather than the direct pass I was expecting.
Yes I have. I thought it was just me. Does get on My nerves when it is turned over like that.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

On the official backwards compatability section of their website for the 360, Microsoft states that they will work on making titles work with the 360 based upon popularity and requests. Given XBox PES5 works on European 360s, there probably isn't too much work required to get XBox WE9 backwards compatable on North American 360's.

Let's petition Microsoft to get working on this title, if nothing else to prevent the diabolical FIFA:RTWC being the only soccer that we can play on the 360.

http://www.pesinsight.com/newreply.php? ... 1&p=574029

You'll need to register first.

vanburen
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by vanburen »

I played thru half a ML season on 3* this weekend, and it's friggin hard to score. man, it was frustrating. I think I had about 15 goals for and 5 against in 15 games (I'm using psv in dutch league, so my team isn't great but my competition is even worse. I even switched to a 3-4-3 to try to open up the field).

shooting hasn't been the problem. it's getting thru the midfield. my players just make so many mistakes and cpu seems to have better skills in holding the ball. I hardly ever have a game with more than 50% possession.

the first night I played, I liked how the cpu got called for fouls, but in ML, it's still at least 2-1 my fouls vs. theirs.

it seems the midfield is too tough for both teams. I'm not giving up on WE9 by any means, but it's been tough, and not in a good way. I wouldn't mind if I got pounded 4-1 some time.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I'll be online tonight after 11 pm EST!!! :lol: If anyone wants to join me.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I figured out how to score on 3 stars. Use Brazil in the international Cup.
I had My first 3 goal game vs Finland. I still managed to lose in the semis 1-0 on an own goal.

Im still not sold on the lack of catch up ai. At least the randomness of it.
I had a 2-0 lead as ManU vs Everton with less than 10 minutes to play. I went to a defensive startegy and switched to a defensive formation and they still tied it. All My players seemed to become retarded. Corner kicks sure seem alot harder to defend with a lead late in the game.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

vanburen wrote:. I wouldn't mind if I got pounded 4-1 some time.
I gave up 4 in the first half playing as Real Madrid in a 5-1 loss.
So I can take a beating.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

vanburen wrote:I wouldn't mind if I got pounded 4-1 some time.
Spend some time in prison and I bet you would mind it. :wink:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I'm actually finding short (non-lay off) free kicks harder to score from than in WE8I. Getting the power just right so the ball clears the wall but doesn't go over the crossbar is really hard. I just played 3 games in a row where I hit the posts with a 25m FK. And then of course I manage to knock one in a FK from 38m with Totti. Long free kicks are definitely easier than on WE8I because the ball travels faster.
Last edited by Feanor on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Feanor you do sound like you have better luck scoring from long distance because I favour more the touch and go from the SouthAmerican style soccer of play and I find it more difficult to score that way, never mind trying to get into the opponents penalty area without the CPU cutting on your short passes.

And when I do, the goalkeeper is just awesome.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I find free kicks easier this version. I think you had to be too perfect in WE8. On top of that the angles for free kicks was a little off. In WE8, I found the ball to floatly, it was hard to "drive" the ball.

I'm heavily frustrated with the game. While I think they took great strides in the randomness of the physics, they took away scoring. I can't tell you how many boring 1-0 games I've played. Now WE always seemed to be an enigma when it came to the AI. Some times games would be 3-2 or 4-3 classics. Then the next time you loaded up the game you could only manage 1-0 scorelines.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Soccer with boring 1-0 games ,who knew.