Slim PS2 or Original (thick) PS2 Console?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

PhiPsi1
Mario Mendoza

Slim PS2 or Original (thick) PS2 Console?

Post by PhiPsi1 »

well after seeing the upcoming releases of mlb 06 and winning eleven 9, i am regreting trading in my ps2. anyways, just wanted to get everyone's input on which console version is preferable, the slim ps2 or original ps2 console (the thick one)? i have heard about freezing issues and overheating and what not with the slim ps2 and never did i have one freeze or disk error or overheating with my launch ps2 machine. but since i travel overseas a good bit, the slim is more travel friendly...any opinions or thoughts would be great.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

if you dont plan to buy the ps2 hd get the slim. I have the slim and it's great. Saves space but also is easy to pack up if you're on the move. I've had no problems with the slim one I've had now for a year.

Jason
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Jason »

I love my slim PS2. I haven't had any issues with it at all and the network adapter is built-in.
www.SportsGamingNation.com

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

The slim PS2 is much better than the old one. I have never had a problem with my slim one, but had a ton of problems with my launch day large PS2. This is a no-brainer...get the small one. It does progressive scan, has a built in network adapter, and is a lot more quiet than the older one.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Depends on how deep you want to go. I favor my large PS2 over the slim only for the HD support.

Old PS2 + HD + HDLoader is a beautiful thing.

Only downfall is that if you intend to go online then you need to purchase the BBA.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Are you guys saying the slim PS2 is a progressive scan DVD player? What is HD loader please?
Hating and Insurging since '85.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Granatofan wrote:Are you guys saying the slim PS2 is a progressive scan DVD player? What is HD loader please?
Yes, the slim PS2 is progressive scan. As for HD loader, I think it allows you to copy games onto the hard drive. IN doing so, it cuts way down on load times, but I think the more popular use of HD Loader is in the form of piracy. I'm sure Boom will correct me if I am wrong.

Basically, unless you want to play Final Fantasy XI or want to steal games, the hard drive is pretty much useless as you can't save games to it, you can only store game saves on it.

Again, I'm not saying this is what Boom does, I'm just saying what I've read.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

HDLoader allows you to burn your games to Harddrive and play strait from it, cutting down on load times.

There are some other advanatages as well, but I'll let you figure those out on your own.

Here's some info:

http://www.hdloader.net/

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I had problems with both of My original PS2s. The slim was perfect.

forensicd
Mario Mendoza

Post by forensicd »

I had several issues with slim one, but in playing older games. I tried to play grand prix challenge on it, and the game just freaked out. I then played it on my brothers original ps2 and all worked fine. Could have been my slim one had issues though.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Blacklover posted on OS that he was able to mod the PS2 version of Fifa06 through his hardrive just like other guys do on their pc versions. He says the modded Fifa06 plays as good as the Winning eleven series. He's also modded NHL06.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I sold my slim PS2 for money to get my 360 and while I had it I had no problems with it at all. The only game I wish I still had a PS2 for is Guitar Hero but I'm not shelling out $129.99 for a refurbished/used PS2 and $70 for Guitar Hero just to play it. I was hoping for a price drop for the PS2, in my mind it should be down to $99 now and $79 used.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

tjung0831 wrote:Blacklover posted on OS that he was able to mod the PS2 version of Fifa06 through his hardrive just like other guys do on their pc versions. He says the modded Fifa06 plays as good as the Winning eleven series. He's also modded NHL06.
Do you have a link to where he describes how to do this?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ScoopBrady wrote:I'm not shelling out $129.99 for a refurbished/used PS2 and $70 for Guitar Hero just to play it.
Man, it's worth it. My PS2 is dying rapidly, and there's no doubt in my mind that I'm eventually going to pick up another pretty much just to continue playing GH. It's a great game on its own, but it's also a fantastic crossover game you can pull out and have a good time on with non-gamers. At my son's recent birthday party I had aunts and uncles, friends and cousins all rockin' out.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

webdanzer wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:I'm not shelling out $129.99 for a refurbished/used PS2 and $70 for Guitar Hero just to play it.
Man, it's worth it. My PS2 is dying rapidly, and there's no doubt in my mind that I'm eventually going to pick up another pretty much just to continue playing GH. It's a great game on its own, but it's also a fantastic crossover game you can pull out and have a good time on with non-gamers. At my son's recent birthday party I had aunts and uncles, friends and cousins all rockin' out.
Yeah, one of the instructors brought it in a few times here and I loved the game. I just can't spend $200 just to play it though. Nothing else interests me on the PS2 at all. I keep holding out hope for a price drop or an Xbox version.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:Blacklover posted on OS that he was able to mod the PS2 version of Fifa06 through his hardrive just like other guys do on their pc versions. He says the modded Fifa06 plays as good as the Winning eleven series. He's also modded NHL06.
Well, I've modded the sh*t outta fifa 06 on my PC and it plays BETTER than the console version, but just as good as WE? Not so much.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

ScoopBrady wrote:
webdanzer wrote:
Yeah, one of the instructors brought it in a few times here and I loved the game. I just can't spend $200 just to play it though. Nothing else interests me on the PS2 at all. I keep holding out hope for a price drop or an Xbox version.
Quite possibly the best baseball game this year could be on the PS2 and there are quite a few other exclusives that make it worth owning. Of course, if you're not into RPGs then Kingdom Hearts 2 won't interest you.

That's why I hang onto my systems...for that time when a game comes out that truly is a must-have.

redneck
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by redneck »

Go with the thick one and get the HD Loader.

red