MLB 2006 The Show Demo at EBGames for a Pre-Order

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

There's a play of the day over at IGN. Game looks great, IMO.

http://media.sports.ign.com/articles/68 ... ids_1.html

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I'm dying for 360 MLB footage... Can't wait!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I thought the crowd was dynamic or something? Maybe I'm getting that confused with dynamic umpires or something. Anyhow, the review definitly has been intrigued.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:I thought the crowd was dynamic or something? Maybe I'm getting that confused with dynamic umpires or something. Anyhow, the review definitly has been intrigued.
According to the interviews I've read, I thought it was just the umpires and players that were dynamic based on the circumstance...maybe I read it wrong though.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

sportdan30 wrote:Anyone picking this up for the PSP?

No doubt.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:I thought the crowd was dynamic or something? Maybe I'm getting that confused with dynamic umpires or something. Anyhow, the review definitly has been intrigued.
According to the interviews I've read, I thought it was just the umpires and players that were dynamic based on the circumstance...maybe I read it wrong though.
I think you're right. For some reason it seems too early for baseball overload. :)

With this game, NCAA 06, and the MVP 06 mod, baseball is coming quick!

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

greggsand wrote:I'm dying for 360 MLB footage... Can't wait!
And it will be a slow death 8O

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Play of the Day from IGN...2/9 Nomar.

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Diablo25 wrote:Play of the Day from IGN...2/9 Nomar.

Ok, after watching that video, I'm really starting to get pumped about this game. Looks to me like they did indeed fix some things and seeing that infield hit was nice.

I'm so glad I have a ps2. Can't wait to see this game on the ps3.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
I found this over at OS:
Our Situational Awareness takes into account different factors that influence how players, umpires and fans may react to a play and creates reactions that are appropriate. The purpose is to create an accurate sense of excitement. Realistically, a ground ball to the SS in a 5-0 game in the 3rd inning should not have the same feel as a ground ball to the SS in the 9th inning of a tie game with the bases loaded and 2 outs. For the first time, with Situational Awareness, you will feel the difference.
It mentions fans, so ????

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

2/13 Play of the day: Cards - Cubs

Well, some more of my questions have been answered. This game is really looking good.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

After a couple of years tweaking, this game looks fantastic, IMO. That video of the Cards has me really pumped for the game.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:After a couple of years tweaking, this game looks fantastic, IMO. That video of the Cards has me really pumped for the game.
I hope I'm on that bus with you this year GT!

It was nice to see Bigbie get the big hit in that clip. lol :lol:

Maybe you can answer this since I didn't get though a whole year of games in last years version. I noticed little stats by a player's name when they go over the lineup at the beginning of a game, do those change the following year? If Rolen was the MVP in 2006, would next year say, "2006 MVP" when the lineup is introduced? Would it show last year's stats, meaning 2006?

Thanks!!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Can't wait to get home this evening to watch that POTD clip with the Cards and Cubs! Wish the clip was from the new Busch Stadium. Oh well.

I finally was able to play the demo at Best Buy yesterday, albeit for only a few minutes. Graphically, it looks quite nice. No comparison obviously to the 360 games, but definitely better than I would have thought. I'm sure it'll look stunning on the PS3.

One minor negative I saw was a fly ball to right field where they had Dye's back to the field of play where he made a catch which looked rather awkward. It wasn't a play in which he was running back, but more drifting back to catch the ball.

In the two innings that I played, I didn't see much hit variety that was different from last year. Of course, it's not really a fair assessment after only playing for a few minutes.

Pitching felt great. The pace of the game was pretty quick which I like. It was obviously set on "rookie" because it was way too easy to make contact. Without instructions, I couldn't figure out how to advance the runners on balls in the gap.

Commentary was spot on. Really gives an immersive feeling.

Can't wait to pick this game up for the PSP! Being able to save my progress during a game is a big seller for me on the handheld.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

sportdan30 wrote:One minor negative I saw was a fly ball to right field where they had Dye's back to the field of play where he made a catch which looked rather awkward. It wasn't a play in which he was running back, but more drifting back to catch the ball.

In the two innings that I played, I didn't see much hit variety that was different from last year. Of course, it's not really a fair assessment after only playing for a few minutes.
Yeah, the catch you mentioned with Dye happens A LOT in the experience I've had with the demo. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay, but it looks strange.

I hear you on the hit variety in the demo. It's too much like last year. The devs at the OS board swear it's been fixed for the full game, so all we can do is hope for the best.

Can't wait for this one. Only a couple weeks away.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

The devs at the OS board swear it's been fixed for the full game, so all we can do is hope for the best.
Would those be the same devs as last year that came in and stated that the roster issues were fixed and that the game was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Would they be the same devs that were nowhere to be found when everyone was having problems with their games locking up and people were wanting answers?

Just checkin'

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

That POTD from IGN doesn't seem that encouraging to me... or rather, it looks just like last year's, which I just couldn't hang with in the long run. I still see rocket arms, catch and throw animations that look very "autopilot" to me (though it does seem like players are getting rid of the ball faster in appropriate situations), and occasionally enormous strikezones. Take a look at that strikezone on Juan Encarnacion. It is absurd. What's new to me is the strangely bouncy ball, most notably on the error to second base they show which goes through his legs and then does a magic rainbow into the outfield, and on the rip to left where the ball hits the grass and then bounces almost to the top of the wall at Wrigley. There was a really nice, slightly heavy feel to the ball I thought in the 2004 version which they moved away from last year, and it seems they've gone even further in that direction with this edition. We'll see.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

MizzouRah wrote:
GTHobbes wrote:After a couple of years tweaking, this game looks fantastic, IMO. That video of the Cards has me really pumped for the game.
I hope I'm on that bus with you this year GT!

It was nice to see Bigbie get the big hit in that clip. lol :lol:

Maybe you can answer this since I didn't get though a whole year of games in last years version. I noticed little stats by a player's name when they go over the lineup at the beginning of a game, do those change the following year? If Rolen was the MVP in 2006, would next year say, "2006 MVP" when the lineup is introduced? Would it show last year's stats, meaning 2006?

Thanks!!
Sorry I can't help you with that question, Todd...I'd like to say that it does but I'm not sure...

That was my thought exactly in seeing Bigbie get that hit. I've never seen him play before but am looking forward to seeing how he and J.Rod/Taguchi replace Sanders out in left this year. Am also looking forward to seeing whether MLB has J.Rod's crazy batting ritual in the game this year.

As for hit variety, I really liked seeing the high chopper that they showed in the Cubs/Cards play of the day. I never saw those in the past 2 versions of MLB that I played. I also like seeing pitches on the corners being called balls this year.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Boom wrote:
The devs at the OS board swear it's been fixed for the full game, so all we can do is hope for the best.
Would those be the same devs as last year that came in and stated that the roster issues were fixed and that the game was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Would they be the same devs that were nowhere to be found when everyone was having problems with their games locking up and people were wanting answers?

Just checkin'
Boom, you are preaching to the choir. Kolbe and Chris seem like nice guys, but they haven't always quite delivered what they promised.

Ever since one of them was surprised that the OS boards were complaining about a lack of walks, and he said that he never noticed walks because he always swung at everything, my eyebrow was permanently raised in suspicion.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I swing at about anything, so......

The video shows me the strikezone is much wider this year, so that appears to have been fixed.

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

AJColossal wrote:
Boom wrote:

Just checkin'
Boom, you are preaching to the choir. Kolbe and Chris seem like nice guys, but they haven't always quite delivered what they promised.

Ever since one of them was surprised that the OS boards were complaining about a lack of walks, and he said that he never noticed walks because he always swung at everything, my eyebrow was permanently raised in suspicion.
Count me in with you guys. I'll wait and see if the freeze ups are gone before I give up MVP 05 and 06. I lost faith in MLB after 3 copies last year.

Badgun made a post about this issue in another forum and got jumped on like a whore in church. I was with ya in spirit badgun. :wink:
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Their rosters last year was better than EA's, hope they have the latest.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

JackDiggity wrote:
AJColossal wrote:
Boom wrote: Would those be the same devs as last year that came in and stated that the roster issues were fixed and that the game was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Just checkin'

Count me in with you guys. I'll wait and see if the freeze ups are gone before I give up MVP 05 and 06. I lost faith in MLB after 3 copies last year.

Badgun made a post about this issue in another forum and got jumped on like a whore in church. I was with ya in spirit badgun. :wink:
Yeah, I still haven't figured out how that works. It's ok for them to pimp the hell out of their game, but when the game has problems, you can't get anyone to respond. All those kids at OS treat these guys like rock stars but if you ask me they're nothing more than peddlers hawking their wares.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

To play devil's advocate: A lot of people did jump on you over there, Badgun, but one of the first responses you received was a good one, and it came from Sully (one of the best posters around, IMO):

"Keep in mind that Kolbe and Chris can only provide our community with certain information. They only spoke about the details of the game that they were allowed to, details that weren't beyond their control. I'm positive it wasn't easy for them to keep quiet as the complaints started to pile up last year, so you're statement that they weren't willing to "take the heat" is absurd."

I believe Sully's a mod over at OS and I'm guessing that he would have a basis for the things that he said. You made your point about it being frustrating for these guys not to come back last year and "take the heat" for the freezing problems. But it really does sound to me like it might have been out of their hands. Someone else there said that they'd never buy another MLB game again, which I think is just silly. I wonder if that same person forever stopped buying NCAA Football & Madden when the draft class was screwed up.

The guys at 989 make one of the best baseball games I've ever played, and to their credit, they hang around the OS boards and actually do keep our feedback in mind. I've asked for signature batting styles for Legends for 2 years now, and this year they're in. Someone else asked to be able to control other teams' rosters, and that's in this year. If you're still pissed about them not answering the freeze questions soon enough last year, so be it. But you might want to cut them a break just in case what Sully said is true.