Winning Eleven 9 RollCall

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Just a quick question about WE9. How much different is the single player play than WE8? I have 8 and will play the overwelming majority of WE9 offline, so if it is a lot like the last version I'm going to save the $$, especially with TOCA 3, GRAW and Oblivian on the way shortly.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Exactly the same if you can live without the Jamica national team. ML structure is the same, same tournaments, mostly the same features.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Single player plays quite a lot different in WE9I. Some prefer it, some like the more open style of WE8I.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Feanor wrote:Single player plays quite a lot different in WE9I. Some prefer it, some like the more open style of WE8I.
I was talking about features. You are right there is difference in the gameplay. Althouh that's the first for hearing that WE8I was more open. I don't know what the means.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I don't know a damn thing about soccer, but I am going to Gamefly it simply because of the recommendations that so many people whose opinions I respect have given me. I don't dislike soccer or anything, I just don't "get it", so I won't be surprised if I get frustrated with it.

Who knows though, I don't know anything about baseball or basketball either, and MVP and NBA2K6 have both sucked me in.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

TCrouch wrote:I don't know a damn thing about soccer, but I am going to Gamefly it simply because of the recommendations that so many people whose opinions I respect have given me.
I think you'll love it. It's amazing. The series (started with ISS Pro Evolution on PS1 for me) actually taught me the sport. The good thing is that you don't have to dig into every nuance of the game and all the strategy to have a blast. I still haven't left 3/4 stars and keep the strategy options on semi-auto much of the time.

It's also pretty cool that the game always seems to be in "season." I can pick it up year round.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

WE has made many a new soccer fan during its time. Don't be surprised if it sucks you in and makes you want to get Fox Soccer Channel. :wink:

The series does have a couple of things that I'd like to see improved but it is the best representation of a team sport in all of videogames.

I've decided to pick this one up since Fry's will have it on sale. I was most likely still going to get it regardless but at that price it's a no-brainer and no-brainers are my specialty. :D
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Jimmy,

If your playing PES5 on the PC I'd like to get some online games in with you. Let me know.

Ted
Hating and Insurging since '85.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

JRod wrote:I was talking about features. You are right there is difference in the gameplay. Althouh that's the first for hearing that WE8I was more open. I don't know what the means.
It's a lot harder to dribble thru the defence in PES 5 because your players don't turn and move as quickly and the computer defence bears down on the ball carrier faster. The game also plays a little slower overall from everything I've read and based on the PSP version which I own.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Granatofan wrote:Jimmy,

If your playing PES5 on the PC I'd like to get some online games in with you. Let me know.

Ted
Ted iam on pc but i cant get online and i cant get a reply from Konami to get it fixed i think someone is using my Code . Pisses me off.

But i did see you are getting it for ps2 let me know if its a slower pace if it is im gonna get that version for online play i think. The Xbox demo might be a little quick im thinking,.

How was WE8 on xbox compared to PS2 ? same speed ? Think Pifpen said it was slower paced which is what im after. Im curious.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

ScoopBrady wrote:WE has made many a new soccer fan during its time. Don't be surprised if it sucks you in and makes you want to get Fox Soccer Channel. :wink:

Yup. Fsquid still wonders how the hell I became a big soccer fan.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I only tried the series once and the thing that made me give up was the difficulty. 2 stars was too easy, but 3 stars was hard. But these days I really am looking for a challenging game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What IGN thought about the game:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/686/686067p1.html

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Granatofan wrote:Jimmy,

Ted
Ted iam on pc but i cant get online and i cant get a reply from Konami to get it fixed i think someone is using my Code . Pisses me off.

But i did see you are getting it for ps2 let me know if its a slower pace if it is im gonna get that version for online play i think. The Xbox demo might be a little quick im thinking,.

How was WE8 on xbox compared to PS2 ? same speed ? Think Pifpen said it was slower paced which is what im after. Im curious.
Jimmy, I honestly can't remember if PS2 was slower pace than xbox, but I definitely like the controls better on PS2. I was also in the minority that thought the game looked better on PS2. IMO the PES5 is slower paced than WE8. If you get the PS2 version let's play for sure. Jason at SGN will be online with PS2 also. About your code....I had trouble logging in with my password and finally figured out that I had entered it in uppercase so make sure to check that. Sounds dumb, but it could be a simple oversight like that on your part. What I'll be most interested to see is if there is the button lag in the console versions like the PC version. I'll have the game by Friday so I'll let you know about the pace on PS2.
Hating and Insurging since '85.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Stupid me, last night I discovered that I've had a demo of WE9 for weeks from an OXM disk! DOH.

I played it a bit, and I'm going to be sticking with WE8 for now. 9 was definitely harder to move your guys around and seemed a bit less gamey on the field, but the play was close enough for me to hold off getting it.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Not a bad idea to wait a while till the good Option files are out there.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Judging from the comments on IGN (which have some pretty legit-sounding emails from Konami) it is NOT playable on the 360! :cry:
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

RobVarak wrote:Judging from the comments on IGN (which have some pretty legit-sounding emails from Konami) it is NOT playable on the 360! :cry:
Yeah, some guy at OS also found a source from Xbox.com that said it's not BC.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Confirmation from Konami support that WE 9 is not BC on the 360, cut and pasted from the gamefaqs.com forum:

>>>>>

Thank you for contacting Konami Support. WE9 is not 360 compatible. Microsoft will be updating games for backward compatibility periodically, so check their website for information on this and other games. The PES5 game will not play on a US/CAN system, only the PAL system.

Sincerely,

Konami Support

<<<<<

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Picked up PS2 version at Gamestop during lunch hour. First impressions...

...the manual is 47 pages long.

Well, that's it, I'm at work!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah...even PES5 PC had a nice manual. It would be nice if all developers followed suit but we know that will never happen.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

got one on hold... the EBs around here each got ONE copy... most are reserved by preorder except the one at the new store a block from here so I called about 10 minutes ago and they're holding it for a bit.

Debating if I pull the trigger or not.. but I know I'm weak.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

I'm goign to try and pick it up tomorrow or Friday. I hope the Gamestop up the street has a few strays.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Anybody find this at best buy yet? I went to two different best buys and they are saying they won't have it until march 3rd.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

i think i was the only preorder at the Gamestop i picked it up at (ps- had enough store credit after paying for it that Toca 3 already paid for!).. finally have been able to get the ball closer to the net (had to go with the 3 attackers formation), but still either am kicking the ball too high or wide..