NBA 2K6 360 Impressons

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Bakes wrote:Finally picked up Nba 2k6 last night. Love it so far but when I run the game in 720p or 1080i i lose about an inch off the top and bottom of my screen compared to what the game looks like in 480p. Obviously I'd prefer to use 720p or 1080i but this is kind of annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I dont have this problem with any other game I own. Thanks!
This underscan is a special feature of 2K sports games :P . Annoying as hell, yes. Nothing you can do about it.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Maybe I have the terminology mixed up but I think I'm actually getting overscan. For example the bar at the bottom of the screen with the score is shifted down about an inch from where it is if i run the game in 480p. Same type of thing at the top of the screen - the "loading VIP" circle is cut off a hair at the top in 720p and 1080i.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Mine does the same thing on my HDTV...but is perfectly fine on my 24" Dell Monitor. Weird, but it's not exactly like you're missing anything. The score bar just runs right along the bottom of my TV, whereas there is a tiny bit of space under it on my Dell.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Aaah, OK. I haven't turned on my 2k6 360 in a while :oops: . I know that the Xbox versions of NBA, College Hoops, and NHL, while supporting 720p, display in a smaller area that the full screen. Can't remember exactly but I think the 360 version display over the entire scree, but I don't remember having overscan problems in NBA2K6. Perhaps there is something about the way your display handles these inputs? But then, you say you only have these issues in NBA 2K6.

Hmm. I don't know. . .

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Oh well, not a big deal like you said. Really loving this game though. I hesitated picking this up since I'm not a big NBA fan but with college hoops getting pushed back I decided to give it a go.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I don't have any problems. It takes up the entire screen on my TV.

I played my 23rd association game last night! I love it!

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

It depends which version you are talking about. 2k sports XBOX games have about 5% UNDERSCAN on all 4 sides (of a properly calibrated HDTV) resulting in black bars around the entire image.

2k sports Xbox 360 games do not suffer this problem and on a properly calibrated set, their shouldn't be anything not showing on the screen (like the score, or any text). If you're playing on a 360 and in HD, you should be able to see all of the data on the screen. If not, it's your TV, not the console (and you're probably missing some of your DVD's and TV viewing too). This typically requires some overscan adjustments in the service menu of your HDTV.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

jondiehl wrote:It depends which version you are talking about. 2k sports XBOX games have about 5% UNDERSCAN on all 4 sides (of a properly calibrated HDTV) resulting in black bars around the entire image.

2k sports Xbox 360 games do not suffer this problem and on a properly calibrated set, their shouldn't be anything not showing on the screen (like the score, or any text). If you're playing on a 360 and in HD, you should be able to see all of the data on the screen. If not, it's your TV, not the console (and you're probably missing some of your DVD's and TV viewing too). This typically requires some overscan adjustments in the service menu of your HDTV.
I'm referring to the 360 version. Whats wierd to me is that I don't see this problem when I run the game in 480p. The game still fills the screen in 720p and 1080i it just seems to be overscanned a bit (ie the score moves down to the bottom of the screen) Plus all my other 360 games do not seem to have this issue. If my set could be causing this, is there a website you could refer me to for adjusting the overscan in the service menu? That would potentially void my warranty right? Thanks for your help.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Bakes wrote:I'm referring to the 360 version. Whats wierd to me is that I don't see this problem when I run the game in 480p. The game still fills the screen in 720p and 1080i it just seems to be overscanned a bit (ie the score moves down to the bottom of the screen) Plus all my other 360 games do not seem to have this issue. If my set could be causing this, is there a website you could refer me to for adjusting the overscan in the service menu? That would potentially void my warranty right? Thanks for your help.
That is odd and might not even be the issues at all. It could just be a weird quirk with your HDTV, who knows. Yes, messing with the service menu can potentially void your warranty. However, if you're careful and write down all of the factory settings, you can't screw it up.

hometheaterspot.com used to have alot of service menu tweak stuff, but I think they went to a subscriber/pay thing on their forums to gain access to it.

avsforum might have similar info, but you'll have to search for it (search by your model/brand and look for a master thread for your specific HDTV)
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Mine is the same way Jon...NBA 2k6 is the only game that is slightly different on my HDTV compared to my Dell LCD. Instead of having space under the score bar at the bottom, it's just flush against the bottom of the screen. I'm sure they did that on purpose, leaving the space, so that when there are issues with certain TVs, you can't even notice a difference. I don't lose any text at the top or bottom so it's no big deal, but it is noticable when you go between two different high def sets/lcds.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I tried those sliders from Bizcanos and have really enjoyed them. Seeing a good number of trips to the line, some foul trouble, and the CPU works the ball around better. Still a little too much reliance on the 2s and 3s for scoring, but the offensive sliders seemed to get the big guys involved more. Like Leebo, I am really kind of amazed at how fun this game is.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My biggest pet peeve with this game now is the jump shot. When I'm inside the 3 point line and shoot a jump shot, more times than not it turns in to a fade a way which I miss the majority of the time. I don't quite understand why this happens. I'm not pushing back on the left stick when I shoot. I've read where others have had this same problem, and it needs to be fixed for 2K7.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:My biggest pet peeve with this game now is the jump shot. When I'm inside the 3 point line and shoot a jump shot, more times than not it turns in to a fade a way which I miss the majority of the time. I don't quite understand why this happens. I'm not pushing back on the left stick when I shoot. I've read where others have had this same problem, and it needs to be fixed for 2K7.
Push forward on the stick. If you're ouside of the lane, he'll just do a normal jumpshot. If he's close to the lane, he'll do a running one hander...so you've got to know where that limit is.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

...or you can just use the old-fashioned X button to take those jumpers.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I am shooting with the "x" button. As an example, I'll be right around the free throw line when I pull up to shoot, and my player will appear to fade a way when he's shooting. Even the announcer will comment on it.

Definitely going to give Db's suggestion a go.

Thanks again.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

This game is so frustrating for the same reason so many 2K games are frustrating: Bad coding. I have had no freezing problems with my 360 except with this game - and I am convinced that it is related to the coding of the game. It appears to be a button mashing combination that freezes things up - often when there is a scrum under the basket and you hit about 4 buttons/triggers/bumpers at once trying to fight for a rebound. Boom, the game freezes. Nothing like being in the third quarter of a close, strategic game and suddenly lose it.

I have also had 2 games where the ball went out of bounds as a quarter ended. The players stood in place and the ref did not go and get the ball. Everyone just stood there waiting. Since the quarter was over, i could not take a TO, and going in and out of the pause menu didn't fix it either. Very frustrating.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I've been lucky. I played approximately my 40th game last night and I've never had a freeze or any other issues. In fact, this game was the only game that *didn't* freeze on my first X360.

I don't doubt that it is happening to you though as I have been on the other side (seeing incredibly wacky things in the last 989 baseball game that nobody else was seeing).

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

So, you guys interested in a DSP tournament?

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

I'd probably be up for it. Depends on timing/frequency of the games.
---Todd
Gamercard: ubrakto

Millennium
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Millennium »

I wouldn't mind a DSP tourney, either....

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Did you guys now you can actually have a Live Draft for a league?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I would be up for a tourney or a small league (draft or no draft). Given the history of these things the tourney probably has the best chance of being completed.

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I'm wondering if anyone else is making a realistic amount of threes. I'm playing with the Bulls, and Gordon and Hinrich just don't make very many, even when open. I've gone into practice mode and the jump shot drills, and my timing with both the stick and X button seems fine. Any suggestions?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando,

I go through stretches where I can't make crap...and I'm using the Suns. Last night I broke out of my current funk and shot 11-18 from three. You really have to be wide open if you're gonna hit them...that's the one thing I'm noticing. I've started running plays that get my sharpshooters some open looks and it seems to work a little better. On the year I'm at 33%...so it's a little below the Suns real average, but not that bad.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Thanks, DB. I ran Gordon through the jumpshot drill last night in my Association and got him up to 90, so that may help. One of the threads at OS also suggested using Y to select your shooter, calling for the screen, and then leading him with an icon pass to the corner for a three. I'll have to try that tonight.

I am really enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I cheated and bumped up my 3pt. and medium range shooting sliders a couple notches. I balanced this by reducing everything inside and stiffening the defensive awareness of the CPU. I know this won't help you vs. human opponents, but it works in the Association.