Going to Make the HD Plunge - Answers Appreciated!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Going to Make the HD Plunge - Answers Appreciated!

Post by greggsand »

I think in the next week or so, I'm going to make the HD leap. Given this a pretty sharp forum, I figured this would be a good place to ask.

#1) I'm a DirecTv guy (nfl ticket!). So can I just ignore the "built in cable ready" TV's and just go Monitor only?? Seems to be a difference in price. Seems most ads are touting be "HD Cable Ready", but since I'm sticking with Directv HD why pay for something i won't need??

#2) LCD vs Plasma. I'm pretty sure this just comes down to "which looks better" in the buyer eyes. I'm inclinded to go LCD for $$$ reasons. Is there something I'm missing here???

Thanks in advance, I know the HD guys here love to talking about their rigs, so let's hear it!

Gregg

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Or:

http://www.avsforum.com/

You'll find a hellova lot more information there. We've got a few hardcore TV guys, but that whole place is filled with em. Just search here and I'm sure you'll find a ton of info because this has been covered a million times.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

1.) Yes, you can ignore the built in Cable-Card support offered in many of today's HDTV's. These cards aren't really recommended for Cable users either, since they sacfrifice most of the advanced, interactive features offered by digital/HD cable. It's a 'nice to have' because you never know what the future will bring, and some of the shortcomings will eventually be overcome (saving Cable users a component/HDMI input for other sources).

2.) LCD. Presumably you're posting here because you're a gamer; regardless of the rhetoric that some of the panel manufacturers are trying to spread, PLASMA is susceptible to BURN-IN (permanent ghosting of an image on screen, commonly cause by network logos or videogame status bars etc.). More importantly, the same weakness that leaves Plasma prone to burn-in ensures that the phosphors will progressively lose brightness, meaning the set won't be as bright in 5 years as it is today. Plasma's eat power, and throw significant heat. All that said, Plasma prices are coming down and the panel sizes are larger than what you'll find for LCD; they also offer a more CRT-like image than LCD, and handle fast motion very well. Beware of the resolution, however, many inexpensive Plasma panels are NOT HD, but rather EDTV, meaning they can produce 480p images.
LCD (direct view) panels are growing in size, but are still smaller and more expensive per inch of display than plasma. They are more energy efficient, entirely impervious to Burn-in, and have a longer full-brightness life since the backlights are typically rated for over 60,000 hours. They can be difficult to view from the sides (especially compared to Plasma), but from 120 degrees around the front typically provide some of the best HD images available today. There are some inexpensive models out there which provide decent performance, including the Westinghouse 32 & 37" models (the 37" actually supports FULL 1080p, the highest HD standard - very rare!). Sharp is probably the best brand, but you pay for it. The Sharp Aquos line boasts some of the fastest pixel response times (improving sharpness during fast motion), ample inputs, and attractive aesthetics. Samsung's units are also very nice at the higher end.

Both Plasma and LCD (mostly Plasma) will face serious competition from a new flat panel technology later this year, with the launch of SED sets (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display). These sets will come in large sizes, look virtually identical to conventional CRT-tube based sets, and enable larger sizes at cheaper prices. Burn-in remains a concern, however. Plasma will probably die out in favor of SED within 2 years.

All that said, if you don't absolutely NEED a set to hang on the wall, you'll get a bigger screen, more inputs (typically), an easier install (nothing to hang), and an even better 'future-proof' technology by considering one of the Digital Rear-projection variants (DLP, LCD, or LcOS). As noted in the other thread, the best television for the dollar available today (in my humble opinion) is the Sony SXRD 50, 60, and 70" rear-projection LcOS variant sets. These sets are 1080p (though they don't accept 1080p input), have virtually no visible pixel structure, no moving parts, and the assurance that the set will look as good in 5 years as it did on day 1 with the simple replacement of a ($200+) bulb.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or models you're considering.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Sport, just a quick question about cable cards. Is it possible to have a cable card and a HD cable box or must you have one or the other? The reason I'm asking is the cable card in my area is only $1.75 a month, but I hear that it gives a tad sharper picture because you're not having to go through a box.

I'm thinking that just for watching purposes that I would get the card and then if I wanted to use the guide or on demand stuff I'd still have my box.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Badgun wrote:Sport, just a quick question about cable cards. Is it possible to have a cable card and a HD cable box or must you have one or the other? The reason I'm asking is the cable card in my area is only $1.75 a month, but I hear that it gives a tad sharper picture because you're not having to go through a box.

I'm thinking that just for watching purposes that I would get the card and then if I wanted to use the guide or on demand stuff I'd still have my box.
Sure, you can have both. You can put a $2 splitter on the cable line behind your set and send one line to the cable box and one to the cable card. Presuming the lines in your area are in good shape, and nothing 'odd' has been done with the cable lines in your house, your digital signal should be more than strong enought to accomodate the split.

You may indeed get a better picture, for several reasons. A, you're eliminating the 'middle-man' and allowing your TV to render the picture DIRECT from the source; B, Your TV almost certainly has a better scaler than the cable box, so it will do a better job of cross-converting/up-converting the various video resolutions your receive; C, unless you're connected through HDMI, there is some 'softening' of a picture when sent over tradtional analog (Component) cables.

I set up my friend's system with both cable card and box, but he finds that he rarely uses the Cable Card since it's typically just easier to stick with the Cable Box for a simplified/unified viewing experience.

Good luck and enjoy!
Sport73

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Sport -sent you a pm.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Thanks all. There's reason this is best group on the web...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:Thanks all. There's reason this is best group on the web...
Now this is the kind of new DSP member we like -- he kisses our ass! :)

Seriously, welcome aboard, Greggs. We're glad you're here, and don't be a stranger.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

"entirely impervious to Burn-in"

There are several people at avsforum who have burned in images on LCD's.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

laurenskye wrote:"entirely impervious to Burn-in"

There are several people at avsforum who have burned in images on LCD's.
LCD's don't burn in - FACT. LCD's can exhibit image 'memory' - FACT.

Burn-in is the PERMANENT marking of phosphors created by an on-screen object aging/fading those phosphors more rapidly than the rest of the display.

'Memory' is the tendency for liquid crystals, which 'line-up' to become opaque when an electrical charge is applied and dissapate to become transparent when the charge is removed, to hold their 'lined up' state even after the charge is removed simply because of physical inertia. This is a TEMPORARY condition and can be 'excercised' out of an LCD panel by displaying an all white/black intermitent pattern, or through typical viewing.
Sport73

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I just purchased this set:

http://www.buyersedge.com/Product/prodD ... ew=1&iDZ=0

It is my first HD/Widescreen purchase and I'm in love with it. Just got it but don't know everything about it yet but am taking time to learn. You can find out more about this set in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=562185

A long read but well worth it for the information and it helped me in making my decision/purchase.
gamertag: ddtrane65