Marv Levy returns to the Bills as VP of Football operations

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

marino wrote:I don't know Lewis and Fox have turned it around pretty quickly.So has Mora in atlanta.Nick saban tooka 4-12 team to a 9-7 record winning the last six in a row.I think two years is sufficient now a days for a head coach in the NFL
Is that the same Jim Mora that now has his team heading in the opposite direction? They went from the NFC Championship to .500 with the same personnel. Should he be fired?

I know Dick Vermeil had a good track record prior to arriving in STL, but he won 5 games his first year and then 4 the next. Thank God for Rams fans they didn't fire him.

Jim Haslett started out strong in New Orleans winning 10 games in his first year...an improvement of 7 games over the previous season. Year one success does not guarantee long term success.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Leebo33 wrote:
Bakes wrote:In a year with a huge amount of coaching turnover and a lot of qualified candidates out there why not make the move now?
Wow. Take your pick.

Mularkey's record last 2 years: 14-18

Capers: 9-23
Turner: 9-23
Mariucci: 10-17
Sherman: 14-18
Tice: 17-15
Haslett: 11-21
Martz: 10-11

If the ultimate benchmark for a coach is wins then I don't see much of an upgrade with any of these guys besides maybe Sherman. Unless you are willing to hand over the reigns to Mike Tice *shudders*.
All of these coaches have coached playoff teams, some superbowl teams. So if winning is the ultimate benchmark then all of these coaches are upgrades I guess. My point was that if Mularkey doesn't work out again this year who is going to be available next year?

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Well I hope you guys are right about the game not "passing by" Levy. You can throw out names like Paterno and Gibbs (both of whom if you asked most people at this time last year were too old for todays game) but I just don't see Marv, 8 years removed from coaching, 80 years old, and no experience, being very effective in turning the franchise around.

rubba19
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by rubba19 »

Bakes wrote:
Leebo33 wrote:
Bakes wrote:In a year with a huge amount of coaching turnover and a lot of qualified candidates out there why not make the move now?
Wow. Take your pick.

Mularkey's record last 2 years: 14-18

Capers: 9-23
Turner: 9-23
Mariucci: 10-17
Sherman: 14-18
Tice: 17-15
Haslett: 11-21
Martz: 10-11

If the ultimate benchmark for a coach is wins then I don't see much of an upgrade with any of these guys besides maybe Sherman. Unless you are willing to hand over the reigns to Mike Tice *shudders*.
All of these coaches have coached playoff teams, some superbowl teams. So if winning is the ultimate benchmark then all of these coaches are upgrades I guess. My point was that if Mularkey doesn't work out again this year who is going to be available next year?
You're limiting youself to head coaches. I'm not knowlegable about assistants in the NFL, but there has to be some that are ready to take on a HC position.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Sherman is the only guy out of that group who deserves an immediate second shot, if only because he had one bad season after five straight winning seasons. He just needs to have no personnel powers as he was very poor at drafting players.

Capers and Norv Turner have no business ever being head coaches again. I almost would say the same about Haslett, too, but anyone who coaches the Saints deserves a second chance.

Given his career accomplishments, Martz should be a no-brainer as a coaching hire, but his game-management is so suspect at times, I would hesitate to give him the reigns again. Mariucci and Tice need to go back down the rung and reassert themselves, either as coordinators or in college.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Bakes wrote:All of these coaches have coached playoff teams, some superbowl teams. So if winning is the ultimate benchmark then all of these coaches are upgrades I guess. My point was that if Mularkey doesn't work out again this year who is going to be available next year?
Fair enough. It took Turner 6 years to make the playoffs, Haslett didn't make it in the past 5 years with a team that may have had playoff talent, and Capers has made it once in 8 years. I can see your point though and would probably give Mariucci or Sherman another shot. I think Martz is a great coordinator, but a reach as a head coach...you think Mularkey's calls are questionable :D

It would have probably been better for Mularkey long term to get fired. I think the talent level is way below the level of expectations in Buffalo and that makes it tough. It's just the natue of the game. Your play calls get picked apart when you lose and you're innovative and gutsy when you win.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

rubba19 wrote:You're limiting youself to head coaches. I'm not knowlegable about assistants in the NFL, but there has to be some that are ready to take on a HC position.
I purposely limited myself to head coaches because the Bills hired the "hot coordinator" for their past two vacancies and it didn't seem to work for them. Mularkey was interviewed by numerous teams besides the Bills and was routinely mentioned as one of the best OC in football.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

rubba19 wrote:You're limiting youself to head coaches. I'm not knowlegable about assistants in the NFL, but there has to be some that are ready to take on a HC position.
You mean like Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey, who both were so ready for their first head coaching jobs? :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

I would have to say that Lewis and Fox were more of the hot Coordinator than Gregg Williams was.Fox got to a superbowl and almost won it and lewis is in the playoffs in year three.

Ask any Buffalo fan and they would have wanted Fox or lewis at the time of the Williams hiring.Williams interviewed great and was prepared.Apparently not prepared enough to win as a head coach in the NFL.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Leebo33 wrote:
Bakes wrote:All of these coaches have coached playoff teams, some superbowl teams. So if winning is the ultimate benchmark then all of these coaches are upgrades I guess. My point was that if Mularkey doesn't work out again this year who is going to be available next year?
Fair enough. It took Turner 6 years to make the playoffs, Haslett didn't make it in the past 5 years with a team that may have had playoff talent, and Capers has made it once in 8 years. I can see your point though and would probably give Mariucci or Sherman another shot. I think Martz is a great coordinator, but a reach as a head coach...you think Mularkey's calls are questionable :D

It would have probably been better for Mularkey long term to get fired. I think the talent level is way below the level of expectations in Buffalo and that makes it tough. It's just the natue of the game. Your play calls get picked apart when you lose and you're innovative and gutsy when you win.
Good points, I think the lack of talent is widely overlooked as well, especially with the key losses on defense.

I still don't think Mularkey can hack it as a head coach though and while I don't think the guy is stupid he comes off like a complete retard in front of the media. After the "took the sails out of our wind" comment he made (the same exact comment hank f'ng bullough made) i nearly had an anuerysm.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

marino wrote:Ask any Buffalo fan
OK, so for the record who would you hire right now to replace Mularkey?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Bakes wrote:he comes off like a complete retard in front of the media. After the "took the sails out of our wind" comment he made.
It sounds to me as if Mr. Mularkey may very well have a future in politics should the head coaching thing fail to pan out.

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

Leebo33 wrote:
marino wrote:Ask any Buffalo fan
OK, so for the record who would you hire right now to replace Mularkey?
I am not a Bills fans, but Martz, Fassel, Marucci or even Sherman(as head coach only) would be better than what they have now.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

It's just hard to convince me that it's a coaching problem especially with only 2 years worth of data (one of which could be considered successful), but then again my favorite team has had two coaches since I turned 1 year old. This despite the "head coach got Kordell Stewart's sister pregnant" or even worse "the coach is sleeping with Kordell Stewart" rumors.