OT: First ever soccer match

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: First ever soccer match

Post by fanatic »

Figured that while I´m on my three month honeymoon in South America (Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina), I really should makes sure I saw a football game........

Rather than warming myself up with a meaningless game (is there really such a thing?), I decided to drag my new wife to perhaps one of the most intense sporting events around.....Boca Juniors vs. Independiente (both Buenos Aires teams). Not only do we get to see a game in one of the craziest venues with 60,000 rowdy fans (including Maradonna just across from us in a private box), it´s the second last game of the season, and Boca is only one point behind league leaders Gimnasia. Independiente also still has a shot at the title I should mention.

Anyways, the game was one of my favorite sporting experiences ever...Crowd was in a frenzy the whole match, and after chance after chance in the first half, they score two in the second for a 2-0 win. A few minutes later, the crowd erupts again as they find out that Gimnasia has tied 0-0, meaning that Boca has a one point lead going into the final match of the season.

I´m still buzzing from this game, so just thought I'd post to see if anyone else has had the pleasure of watching soccer in South America...I'm from Toronto, so not sure I'll be able to handle the comatosed crowds at the Skydome (Now Rogers Center) much longer!

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I got to see a playoff game as Estadio Azteca....Chivas v Atlante. Even though Atlante were the "home" team, most of the fans were rooting for Chivas. Atlante went up early and stayed up, so the crowd was relatively subdued. But when they got into it....wow. It got loud. And Estadio Azteca is by far the largest stadium I've ever been in. Definitely worth going.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Damn, I have this very game on Fox Soccer Channel at 2:33 a.m.! Wow -- you were there -- how damn cool!

You were at La Bombonera. I'm a jealous bastard. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Jared...sounds like a cool experience...I love the passion they show for the game down here.

PK.....Definitely an amazing venue. Watching the crowd get into a transe like chant the whole game was amazing...Maradonna was jumping up and down like always as well...You should definitely watch the game if you get the chance. I just bought an authentic boca juniors shirt a few hours ago....The wife bought two pairs of shoes, so I could justify my expensive purchase.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Fanatic:

I'm a River Plate supporter. It's Boca's archrival, so we'll have a nice rivalry brewing between us. :)

The Superclassico between Boca and River each season is one of my personal soccer highlights. The noise is incredible -- even louder than yesterday in La Bombonera.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

3 month honeymoon....damn. What do you and your wife do for a living??!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:Fanatic:

I'm a River Plate supporter. It's Boca's archrival, so we'll have a nice rivalry brewing between us. :)

The Superclassico between Boca and River each season is one of my personal soccer highlights. The noise is incredible -- even louder than yesterday in La Bombonera.

Take care,
PK
PK I didn't know you were a fan of the Gallinas. I grew up in South America and I witnessed many games from la Bombonera. It's one of the true football stadium gems in the world with the number 12 behind the team, it's a spectable all alone. Fanatic, I am envious of your recent sport event and make sure you have a good asado while there.

Vamos Boca!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

mobiggins wrote:3 month honeymoon....damn. What do you and your wife do for a living??!!
He sells Xbox 360's on Ebay :D

bphilipb
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by bphilipb »

fanatic-

That sounds like a great experience. I am looking to go down sometime in the next year for vacation but also to see a game. Your post makes me want to go tomorrow.

leebo-
damn funny!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Leebo33 wrote:
mobiggins wrote:3 month honeymoon....damn. What do you and your wife do for a living??!!
He sells Xbox 360's on Ebay :D
haha.....

Actually, I just quit my current job while my wife just finished grad school. We've also just recently moved across the country (Vancouver to Toronto), so we are all psyched to find new jobs when we get back in a couple of weeks...

As far as exploring South America goes...I highly recommend it. One hilight was definitely taking the Inca trail to the lost city of Machu Pichu...Unbelievable. Other than that, Torres Del Paines in the south of Chile (near Antarctica) is unlike any landscape I've ever seen. Buenos Aires (current location) is an amazing city if you love soaking in culture, architecture, good food, etc...

One thing I have become is a football fan thats for sure down here...It all started before I left when I started playing WE8...It sparked my interest in the sport and made me an instant fan. Now, after watching Latin American Sportscenter everynight here combined with all the games on tv, I'm really hooked on the sport.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Fanatic is Boca Campeon yet? (Champions) It should happen tonite or over the weekend.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:Fanatic is Boca Campeon yet? (Champions) It should happen tonite or over the weekend.
:x :x :x

Love,
Marcelo Gallardo

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
10spro wrote:Fanatic is Boca Campeon yet? (Champions) It should happen tonite or over the weekend.
:x :x :x

Love,
Marcelo Gallardo

There's always a next year PK :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ugh, 10s: I want to cut that f*cking tail off Palacio's head in your sig right now!

But I do love it when Bretos calls him "Hot Rod" Palacios during Boca matches on Fox Soccer Channel. Insua was a great pickup for Boca, as he really took the pressure off Palermo up front, especially now that Guillermo Barros Schelotto is looking close to done.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I agree PK, that little girlie tail has to go soon but what a player he turned out to be. I happen to be watching the game now on foxsports, and Palacios will eventually end up in Italy. Insua was a nice addition (what a goal) but I really enjoy Daniel Bilos and the "next" midfielder for Argentina, Fernando Gago. This guy is a horse with a great vision.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

The streets were packed last night with Boca fans...PK would have loved it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:
The streets were packed last night with Boca fans...PK would have loved it.
Ah, I don't HATE Boca. In fact, I've watched many Boca games on FSW. I especially enjoyed watching Barros Schelotto for his constant passion and acting and Tevez for his brilliance.

But I'm a River supporter, so there's always resentment whenever Boca succeeds.

So congratulations to Campeon Boca. And f*ck Boca. :)

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I can't think of another soccer spectacle that resembles the Boca-River rivalry, maybe the Real-Atletico Madrid-Barcelona comes to mind, Milan-Juventus in Italy. But in terms of the show, the festivities, the singing of the crowd, the confetties, it's just a great party to be part of.

And just to round up a great year PK, for Boca, this weekend, they can become South American champions against Pumas from Mexico.

Dale Boca!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The two River-Boca matches, especially when they're both in contention for the league title, are among my favorite televised sporting events of the year.

I LOVE those games!

Take care,
PK