MLB Off-season discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Aren't there questions about Renteria's true age--or is that just something Sox fans use to explain why he seemed to fall off a cliff, performance-wise last year.

Didn't the Red Sox trade their highly touted SS prospect earlier this off-season? You'd think they would have wanted to hold on to him if they were planning on spinning Renteria in a trade.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Mets apparently are close to getting Barry Zito from the A's wish would include a contract extention for Zito.

Sweet. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

EDiddy wrote:If he returns to his NL form, it would actually proably be an upgrade from Furcal.
Not really...they already have a #2 hitter. They need a leadoff hitter.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Mets apparently are close to getting Barry Zito from the A's wish would include a contract extention for Zito.

Sweet. :D
Now THAT is a good move for the Mets. He will be by far the biggest pickup this offseason if that's true.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Dave wrote:Aren't there questions about Renteria's true age--or is that just something Sox fans use to explain why he seemed to fall off a cliff, performance-wise last year.

Didn't the Red Sox trade their highly touted SS prospect earlier this off-season? You'd think they would have wanted to hold on to him if they were planning on spinning Renteria in a trade.
Red Sox had two SS prospects....They traded Hanley Ramirez which is the better one in terms of skill sets but Dustin Pedrioa from Arizona State has risen through the minors very fast and has shown that he will fit in well with the Red Sox system. He is more of a dirtdog and plays the game the right way. He is a solid defensive shortstop and is a single and doubles hitter.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Three-way deal is 'dead' for Renteria:

Dec 7 - The Devil Rays have effectively killed a proposed three-way deal that would have sent Renteria to Atlanta, Julio Lugo to Boston and highly regarded third-base prospect Andy Marte to Tampa Bay, reports ESPN's Peter Gammons.
According to Gammons, the Devil Rays want more than Marte.

"It is all but dead," said one official.

Earlier, the Boston Globe had reported that the Red Sox were moving aggressively to trade Renteria, who had fallen out of favor in Boston after a 30-error season.

According to the Globe, Tampa Bay would have received Marte and another player.

-------------------------------

MORE than just Marte...wow. Cocky bastards down there in Tampa.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

dbdynsty25 wrote:MORE than just Marte...wow. Cocky bastards down there in Tampa.
I think they got rid of Chuck LaMar--but his legacy must live on in Tampa, thid has been their style over the past few years. They ripped the Mets off, getting Kazmir for Zambrano and are using that trade as the measuring stick.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

ScoopBrady wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Konerko staying put in Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2242424
Hell yeah! This takes a little of the sting of losing Rowand. Paulie! Paulie! Paulie!
I was very happy with that too.

I think that the Thome was the we are going for another chamionship now move...I like Rowand but I also like what a healthy LF slugger hitting 5th will do for the offense.
I really dont think its that bad a move but health will have everything to with the out come.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The Marlins have agreed to send Pierre to the Cubs for right-hander Sergio Mitre and pitching prospects Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto.

Bye, bye Corey. :D

Hopefully that Murton kid will get a full season in left field with Pierre in center and Burnitz in right. You've got Ramirez and Lee on the corners and Barrett behind the plate. I'd like to see them shore up the interior of the infield and they could have a good season. They added depth to their bullpen but the key will be keeping Prior and Wood healthy.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

EDiddy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by EDiddy »

Sounds like a sub 500 team to me.
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I hope Mitre gets a fair shot with the Marlins. He is great kid. I used to play in the San Diego Mexican League with him when he was in high school.

It was/still is a great league. Oscar Robles and Mike Jacobs also played in this league.

We also would go to Tijuana on Friday nights to play in a fast pitch softball league. Talk about crazy.

All the Dodgers have to do is send Robles to the Marlins and a 3rd of the Rieleros will be playing on the same major league team. That is a long way from Memorial and Golden Hill Park.
Last edited by pigpen81 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I guess the Braves are convinced that McCann is the answer behind the plate.

The Atlanta Braves traded All-Star catcher Johnny Estrada to the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday for right-handed relievers Lance Cormier and Oscar Villarreal.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

Dave wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:MORE than just Marte...wow. Cocky bastards down there in Tampa.
I think they got rid of Chuck LaMar--but his legacy must live on in Tampa, thid has been their style over the past few years. They ripped the Mets off, getting Kazmir for Zambrano and are using that trade as the measuring stick.
hey you get what you can...no rule against that :lol:

Go D Rays

anyways guess sean burroughs for brazelton will have to do :wink:

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I guess the Braves are convinced that McCann is the answer behind the plate.

The Atlanta Braves traded All-Star catcher Johnny Estrada to the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday for right-handed relievers Lance Cormier and Oscar Villarreal.
actually mcCann was part of the marte for lugo and baez deal being thrown around earlier today

that being why the braves backed off probably

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh I never heard Baez too...but no way they get rid of two of their stud young guys. I like McCann a lot better than Estrada...especially after last year. Johnny just wasn't the same after Erstad destroyed him at home plate and screwed up his back. I'm happy to get a couple of young relief pitchers for him. The Braves are REALLY high on McCann so they probably told Tampa they could have Estrada and then they balked.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

adam dunn to the orioles being bounced around as well

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Oh I never heard Baez too...but no way they get rid of two of their stud young guys. I like McCann a lot better than Estrada...especially after last year. Johnny just wasn't the same after Erstad destroyed him at home plate and screwed up his back. I'm happy to get a couple of young relief pitchers for him. The Braves are REALLY high on McCann so they probably told Tampa they could have Estrada and then they balked.
here ya go db

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sport ... esmtg.html

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What's funny is I already read that story as I get updates from the AJC...I just skipped or ignored the part about Baez I guess. Oh well...thanks for the reminder.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

CincyKid wrote:adam dunn to the orioles being bounced around as well
The Reds know they want Lohse and Romero, so they should ship him to Minnesota :) He'd fit in well at the Dome with that short RF fence.

Do you really think the Reds would trade Dunn--he doesn't get really expensive for another couple years, right?

EDiddy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by EDiddy »

Please do not trade Adam Dunn, please. (Really dont know who I am writing this to)
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Did the Rockies not hear about the meetings? It sure has been quiet.

CincyKid
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CincyKid »

EDiddy wrote:Please do not trade Adam Dunn, please. (Really dont know who I am writing this to)
i share these sentiments as i could live with casey picking up n leaving i dont feel strongly about kearns or griff but i happen to think dunn is the everyday player to build around on this team and one of the few links i still have to following this team over the years the way i did as a kid growing up in cincy ( especially now that the last true link to my living there barry larkin is gone).....the drays have stolen alot of that feeling over the past 8 years because i can actually go watch them anytime and follow them so much more intensly

i do like willy mo as well though and was curious to why diddy felt we should trade him

again i get most of my info about the reds through

www.cincinnati.com
http://shawns.blogspot.com
homer1360 the sports animal which i pick up online

and 720 wlw which i can actually get on am radio in my car all the way down here in florida :lol:

outside of that national news is all i get so just curious

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Trevor Hoffman stays with the Padres. The Tribe is left at the alter again :roll: Will probably offer Wickman arbitration. He saved 45 games,blowing just 4 (I think),but they were all an adventure. 8O . I'm not overly comfortable with that,if thats the way they go.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

C. Everett and F. Thomas were declined salary arbitration by the Chisox

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:C. Everett and F. Thomas were declined salary arbitration by the Chisox
And neither were relevant to the Sox ultimate success last year.