Where's the Call of Duty Talk

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Where's the Call of Duty Talk

Post by JRod »

I thought there would be more talk on this game. I saw it while I was waiting for an EB employee try to sell and young mother and her child the store. I felt bad for them.

This game doens't look drastically better than Xbox games. It's not like seeing NFL 2k for the first time but it sure is pretty. I also liked that there was a lot going on. Too many wars games get into the small skimishes and never feels you all hell breaking losse around you. From the little I saw, that didn't seem to be the case.

Damn I should have tried harder to get the 360.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Where's the Call of Duty Talk

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:I saw it while I was waiting for an EB employee try to sell and young mother and her child the store. I felt bad for them.
LOL.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

This game doens't look drastically better than Xbox games. It's not like seeing NFL 2k for the first time but it sure is pretty. I also liked that there was a lot going on.
You may need to go back and take another look. This game is looking like the PC version. no way xbox can look like that. The difference is huge.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

SoMisss2000 wrote:
This game doens't look drastically better than Xbox games. It's not like seeing NFL 2k for the first time but it sure is pretty. I also liked that there was a lot going on.
You may need to go back and take another look. This game is looking like the PC version. no way xbox can look like that. The difference is huge.
If the demo is any indication, it looks even better than the PC version. I've got it for the PC and I run it at pretty much the highest resolution possible...the 360 game looks better. It's not often that I say that...usually my PC puts console games to shame. Not in this case.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I've played the PC demo. I really suck at FPS but I came away impressed by the surrounding action. Some WWII shooters feel like the other soldiers just wait there like movie extras until you happen to enter the scene. COD2 had a realism that made it seem like the war would still be going on even after I was shot (again)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The original COD was the same way...both are awesome experiences. I'm just not a huge fan of the linear missions...the free flowing stuff is a lot more enjoyable to me. However, the COD series is damn good regardless.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

I miss the tactical options of BIA a bit, but it's really a small complaint. For the most part, this is among the most intense and engaging FPS games I've ever played. It captures the frantic feeling of combat like no other game I've played. Apparently the multiplayer wasn't well thought out, as you can't create games and host players (expect a patch for that sometime soon), but the single player campaign has been absolutely riveting to this point.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

Very good game and it looks quite good imo. The problems for me were the limited multiplayer (only 8 ) and the Halo style recharge health bar which seems out of place to me in a WW2 shooter.
Last edited by reeche on Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

This game is flat out fun looks great plays great on and offline Jrod this game looks better than the PC version

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Where's the Call of Duty Talk

Post by matthewk »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JRod wrote:I saw it while I was waiting for an EB employee try to sell and young mother and her child the store. I felt bad for them.
LOL.
No kidding. JRod, you need to take some English classes or stop drinking prior to typing. I give up trying to translate your nonsense into coherent sentences.
-Matt

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Since this thread is rather slow, has anyone played Condemned? I was laughing out loud reading some of the guys impressions over at OS who have played it. Mind you, it's only a few people but they swore up and down they wouldn't play this game late at night. It's that scary.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

CoD2 is amazing! truly immersive!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sudz wrote:CoD2 is amazing! truly immersive!
Co Signed. Im loving it!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Toper
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Toper »

HOw's your guy's multiplayer online experience? I may pick this up if it get's the dsp seal of approval for online play.

Toper

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Immersive really is the one word that describes COD2. It doesn't have mind blowing graphics or gameplay, but the sheer amount of action going on around you at all times really sucks you into the game. I definitely get an adrenaline rush while playing, I feel like I'm actually in a war playing this game on the big screen with the surround sound blasting. I need to get a new XBL account setup to test this out on live, it seems like it would be a great multiplayer game.

hoserthehorrible
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by hoserthehorrible »

I played COD2 and the single player mode is great. Tons of tactical decisions to make and lots of fire fights. Multiplayer is fun too but not quite as good as single player. The COD2 graphics on HD are unbelievably good.

I also played Condemned this evening and it is quite a trip to play. The sound effects and the mystery about what's around every corner are done really well. I didn't get too far so I can't tell how it will be long term but it is perhaps the most unique game I've ever played. Extremely violent though and definitely not for young kids. As an adult I wasn't scared but I could see pre-teen kids freaking out for sure.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Toper wrote:HOw's your guy's multiplayer online experience? I may pick this up if it get's the dsp seal of approval for online play.

Toper
COD2 offline is a lot of fun (if you're into scripted FPS games). Great graphics and sound, especially on HDTV/surround sound setups. It's scripted, so you can't get lost or wander off, or explorer. It keeps you going along the linear path of the story and you complete objectives if you go along. It's either love it or hate it. Either way, it probably won't have much replay value in single player after finishing the campaign mode.

COD2 online is very average IMO. The interface and options remind me of when MechAssault first came out. Actually, MechAssault had more options. With COD2, you can not create your own custom room. You can not control who enters and stays/leaves your room. You can't control the size of the room, time limit or options for that gametype. Once you're done with that round, everyone gets booted out to the main menu so that you can't play a rematch with the same group of people. The only way to get your buddies into a room is to join a room, and then invite them as quickly as possible before all 8 spots get filled. If they do, the host can't boot people to make room, and if the majority of the players check in, the match will start anyway w/o everyone ready. You can forget 4 on 4 clan matches, not going to happen.

Once you're in the game (online), there's a basic scoreboard as well as a popup you can hit to see everyone's ping times (very PC-esque). People can't join matches in progress (from what I can tell so far) and you can't chat with each other in deathmatch mode (every man for himself, go ahead and take off your headset since you can only talk to teammates, and there are none in deathmatch).

Anyway, I hope they patch the online part of the game (ala MechAssault) to give is us more options. Launch title, "first try" or not, Activision should have done a better job with the online options and interface since that's where you'll spend 99% of your time after running through campaign mode.

At this point, I'd recommend the game as a rental only. Play it for a week offline and do the campaign, it's fun. And only buy it if they patch the online stuff (or, if you have no friends and just want to play random people in disorganized matches each and every time). I paid $54 for it (10% coupon) and hope to get $40-45 or so on eBay next week when I finish up single player. If it gets patched, I can always rebuy it again, but GR:AW will probably be out then and I'd be selling this launch title regardless.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

jondiehl wrote:
Toper wrote:HOw's your guy's multiplayer online experience? I may pick this up if it get's the dsp seal of approval for online play.

Toper
COD2 online is very average IMO. The interface and options remind me of when MechAssault first came out. Actually, MechAssault had more options. With COD2, you can not create your own custom room. You can not control who enters and stays/leaves your room. You can't control the size of the room, time limit or options for that gametype. Once you're done with that round, everyone gets booted out to the main menu so that you can't play a rematch with the same group of people. The only way to get your buddies into a room is to join a room, and then invite them as quickly as possible before all 8 spots get filled. If they do, the host can't boot people to make room, and if the majority of the players check in, the match will start anyway w/o everyone ready. You can forget 4 on 4 clan matches, not going to happen.

Once you're in the game (online), there's a basic scoreboard as well as a popup you can hit to see everyone's ping times (very PC-esque). People can't join matches in progress (from what I can tell so far) and you can't chat with each other in deathmatch mode (every man for himself, go ahead and take off your headset since you can only talk to teammates, and there are none in deathmatch).

Anyway, I hope they patch the online part of the game (ala MechAssault) to give is us more options. Launch title, "first try" or not, Activision should have done a better job with the online options and interface since that's where you'll spend 99% of your time after running through campaign mode.

Yeah, this is VERY strange and a real bummer because the actualy multiplayer gameplay is awesome!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Not that I have a 360, but. . .

Thanks for making me happy I decided to GameFly this title instead of buying it. I figure I might enjoy the single player (after the first console CoD disaster, which I made the mistake of purchasing, I was not confident), but figured this might be the DSP 'big room' fun time of choice. Sounds like the multiplayer package is woefully inadequate for DSP shooter nights.

So what about PDZ? Seems like I'm not the only guy who has been anticipating this game for some time, but as yet not a single impression here that I have found. Anyone?

Hlao2 online reminded me a lot of the Goldeneye/PD multiplayer gameplay (love that breifcase/oddball game!). How is PDZ online? Surely, it is a descendent of it's N64 parents, with customizable weapon selections, innumerable gameplay option adjustments, etc. etc., no?

If I can get a 360 sometime soon, I would love to get some regular PDZ online games going with the DSP shooter crew, assuming it works well.

Anyone?

Toper
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Toper »

jondiehl wrote:

Toper
COD2 offline is a lot of fun (if you're into scripted FPS games). Great graphics and sound, especially on HDTV/surround sound setups. It's scripted, so you can't get lost or wander off, or explorer. It keeps you going along the linear path of the story and you complete objectives if you go along. It's either love it or hate it. Either way, it probably won't have much replay value in single player after finishing the campaign mode.

At this point, I'd recommend the game as a rental only. Play it for a week offline and do the campaign, it's fun. And only buy it if they patch the online stuff (or, if you have no friends and just want to play random people in disorganized matches each and every time). I paid $54 for it (10% coupon) and hope to get $40-45 or so on eBay next week when I finish up single player. If it gets patched, I can always rebuy it again, but GR:AW will probably be out then and I'd be selling this launch title regardless.
JD,

Thanks for the impressions...if you're interested in trading, let me know what you're looking for.

Toper

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Zeppo wrote:Not that I have a 360, but. . .

If I can get a 360 sometime soon, I would love to get some regular PDZ online games going with the DSP shooter crew, assuming it works well.

Anyone?
Poor Zep, I feel your pain about not having a 360 in every post. Sincere sympathies bro. It is my mission to find a 360 for you. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and check the real backwater places.

COD2 is fun and chaotic, but requires your complete attention in order to really captivate you. I've got my in-laws in town and family around so any time I've played it's just been for a few minutes during the day. This is definitely a night-time, lights out, surround sound and commit yourself kind of game. Hopefully I'll get some of that time soon.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Toper wrote: if you're interested in trading, let me know what you're looking for.

Toper
I would, but unfortunately there's no other launch titles that I even have a faint interest in. The next two 360 games I'm buying are Top Spin 2 and College Hoops 2k6 (both due out Jan 2nd). I'll probably just throw it on Half.com/eBay in a few weeks and set that $40 or so aside for either of those games (or buy my kids something).
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Sport73 wrote:Poor Zep, I feel your pain about not having a 360 in every post. Sincere sympathies bro. It is my mission to find a 360 for you. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and check the real backwater places.
Sport, I appreciate the sentiment. But really, don't go crazy trying to find a box for me. Firstly, there are plenty of other guys around here that couldn't get one either, that I would rather have get one first. Secondly, it really is my own damn fault; if I had awakened when I meant to on Tuesday, I'd have one, but I slept through the alarm and didn't wake up till 6, so I missed out. Again, all my own fault.

Anyway, I'd sure appreciate your checking around in the course of your normal activities, but don't go out of your way checking every backwater and store miles away. I sure don't want the first DSP community 360, there are plenty of others here who deserve it just as much if not more.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I just finished COD2 today, what a game! This is the first FPS that I have finished since Goldeneye, and I have played dozens in between. The game never got boring and the missions never felt tedious, it was literally a nonstop rush from start to finish for me. I've already started playing through a second time on the hardest difficulty, and considering how much trouble I had with some parts of the game on normal, it should last me a very long time this time through. I need to quit playing and take the time to create a new XBL account though, I still haven't even checked out the multiplayer yet. As a single player game though, this is one of the coolest games I have ever played, and definitely ranks up there with Goldeneye as my favorite FPS ever.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I finished the Russian campaign yesterday so Im now in North Africa...very cool lighting at night in the desert :) Great single player experience!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25