OT - Apple iPod Nano

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

OT - Apple iPod Nano

Post by tsunami »

Damn if that's not hot! 2 and 4GB capacities...and flash memory as well! I've been thinking of getting a bigger DAP (I currently have a 1 GB Samsung which is also super small) and I was leaning towards an iRiver H10, but now that I've seen this I think I'm sold. The main thing I don't like, and this goes for all iPods, is that it doesn't have an FM tuner...which I would like.

It's apparently replacing the mini, as it has already been totally removed from their site. And I just bought my wife a mini a few months ago (when they increased them to 6GB)...oh well.

I wonder how sturdy they are? I can just see people sticking this in their pants pockets and wind up snapping them in half.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Do not get the Iriver H10...I repeat, do not.

They have been promising firmware since the product released, but it has yet to be released. The biggest problem...you can't play an album in numerical order unless you re-tag all of your MP3's. It plays them in alphabetical order.

That little guy looks pretty sweet from Apple. I just hope they fixed their sound issues from the 4g Ipods. The mini was alright, but it didn't have enough functionality. I'm sure I'll give it a try, but Tjung if you're looking for a 2gb player with ridiculous sound quality...check out the Jet Audio iAudio U2. I've got the 1gb version for the gym and it's sound quality is unmatched, even by the bigger players. Their sound processing is just 2nd to none.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6855603825

If you want a 20 or a 40 gig, the Jet Audio iAudio X5's are freakin' awesome as well. No one has ever heard of the company except for audiophiles...and as I found it, it's for a reason. Here's the 20 gig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6855603821

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Damn, now that I look up some of the specs on it, it really is a damn nice piece of equipment. If it really is that small, I'll damn sure give it a try. Gotta love 30 day return policies at the Apple store.

injunwal
Mario Mendoza

Post by injunwal »

Firmware for the H10 was updated a few months ago.

Also you could play cds in the direct order since it has been released without tagging your songs. You just had to select the CD from the browser directory and NOT from the Music directory. Backwards but doable

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

injunwal wrote:Firmware for the H10 was updated a few months ago.

Also you could play cds in the direct order since it has been released without tagging your songs. You just had to select the CD from the browser directory and NOT from the Music directory. Backwards but doable
The only firmware they released was the Euro version, which wasn't compatible with the US players. At least that was the case last time I checked. It's been a while though.

Plus, the H10's sound quality was severly lacking when compared to it's bigger counterpart, the H330. That thing was outstanding, so I was disappointed to find out the smaller version was stripped down.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

HOLY CRAP it's flash too...I'm all over that sh*t tomorrow when they are supposed to get them in at the local store.

See Sport...when Apple releases things that are technilogically advanced...I'm not going to just dismiss them because they are Apple. A 4gb flash drive in a small player...that's beautiful, and they are the first ones to do it as far as I know.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

A tremendously sweet design. It is a more advanced version of what I had hoped for out of the shuffle.

And db, I read some reports that the shuffle's audio quality was quite a bit better than the regular iPod, so hopefully that moved over to the new flash player.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Boo-haha-haha-haha....

The evil plan is working...You'll all be using iPods and Macs soon...eh-hehehe---...

- All I can say is that Apple and Steve Jobs have done it once again...Hate the name NANO, but this thing is cool as s***.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, at 4gb of flash memory, I'm all over it. The design is beautiful...and I hope you're right about the sound quality Dave...the mini and the 4G disappointed me. I'll be sure to post impressions and pictures tomorrow if they get it in.

You're right Sport...Jobs and his designers did it again. That is one sweet looking player. Exactly what the Shuffle, which I still think is the dumbest player ever released, should have been.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I know what I'm asking Santa for this year. That is one awesome looking player!

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I actually disagree about the Shuffle, but admit that might be in part due to my bias for all things Apple...

I own a 60GB iPod Photo and a 1GB Shuffle, and they probably get equal use. The thing about the shuffle is that I don't look at it as an mp3 player in the same way I do my iPod. It's a Memory Stick (and a nice large 1GB one at that) that happens to have a headphone out for music. Load it up with my latest favorite playlist and it's perfect for toting files about work while listening to some great tunes. I take it places where I wouldn't dare take the "precious" iPod. If I lose it, it's not the end of the world.

That said, I now need a NANO. Still, whomever came up with that name needs to step forward and take a punch in the gut, it's just not Apple enough...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not to mention the Nano is a Creative player. LOL...nothing like using the same name as a competitor.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I got a 40GB Iphoto, but this is one sexy machine.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

Not so fast, the Zen Sleek is pretty bad ass too. I like it much better then the micro I had and for 20 gb it's not too much bigger then the ipod nana. :lol: The ipod nina looks like the answer for the gym for me, I was going to get a shuffle, the nemo seems pretty bad ass too.

http://us.creative.com/products/product ... duct=13599
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah I mentioned the sleek a while back, but I'd much rather have a solid state flash drive. The gym is the main place I use my MP3 player...everything else is on my phone or my laptop. Not to mention the sleek is actually quite a bit bigger than the Nano, plus it's still rockin' the black and white screen. I may pick up a Sleek for the car, but that's about all I'd use it for.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

and by the way:

Sleek:

2.3 x 4.0 x 0.67 (5.8 oz)

Nano:

1.6 x 3.5 x 0.27 (1.5 oz)

That is significantly smaller if it's in your pocket...especially weight wise.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I just sold my Shuffle in anticipation of this.

The rumors made it sound more attractive though. Capacities expected were 4, 6 and 8 GB and people thought it might be in the same form factor as the Mini, in which case the same size batteries would yield long battery life. I wonder at 4 GB, how much music you can load if you're also loading album covers and photos.

It's certainly sleek but going from aluminum back to a plastic case is disappointing. Will have to see it in person. People wonder about the headphone jack at the bottom.

Also prefer a belt clip to a lanyard or arm band (except for exercising of course).

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The plastic makes it lighter, which I'm sure was their point.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Here ya go fellas...they got them in an hour before I went to lunch so I picked up the 4gb black one...one word of advice...get the white one. This thing scratches WAY too easily. Sorry about the difficult pictures...the thing is so shiny, it's hard to get a good pic without a mess of a background.

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

Damn db..what took so long?? :wink:

Impressions??

Now, the real question is how long before you return/exchange it? :lol:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

No wonder they were giving away all those IPod Minis when you purchased a new computer from the Apple Store. Wonder how much I could get for my 4GB Mini? Hmmmm, maybe I'll just take my rebate money I get for it and put it towards the Nano.....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tsunami wrote:Now, the real question is how long before you return/exchange it? :lol:
Actually a few hours...I'm gonna exchange it for a white one...the smallest little scratch is readily apparent on the black case. White should be much better at hiding them. Plus, they don't have any cases for them yet so it's not like I can protect it.

I'm installing iTunes as we speak so I'll let you guys know the sound quality. Everyone already knows their interface and build quality are second to none.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up one the black color nona, I'll get the white nono. Waiting to hear about the sound quality. Can you hang this around your neck like the shuffle? Any problems using it this way in a gym?
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Looking forward to your impressions db, especially regarding the sound. I don't know if I'm just crazy, but I swear that my ipod shuffle sounds better than the first gen ipod mini that I had. The bass had more punch, and the volume went up about ten times higher than the mini. I'll be getting the nano to replace my shuffle, and I'm hoping that it sounds just as good. Hopefully those tubes are out by the time I get mine, I'd like to get a black player to match my headphones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

So, comparing it to my girl's mini and what I remember about the 4G I had previously...this Nano is quite a bit better in terms of Sound Quality. In fact, it's pretty comparable to the Creative players which I have always liked.

Neither the Nano or the Creative players can match the old IRiver H330 I had or the iAudio U2 I currently have...those two players are unmatched when it comes to clarity and bass punch...but this Nano is close. So basically, I'm not going to return it because of the SQ issues I had with the Mini or the 4G. I did however return it because it kept freezing (and cuz I scratched it, woops). The new one I've got right now is perfectly fine though so be warned...they scratch REALLY easily. I'm still rockin' the black one though just because it was easier to convince the guys to take the return when I said I wanted the same exact thing. Plus it matches my Shure E2s...so that's all good.

I too hope those tubes come out quick...I'm going to keep the top layer on it for the time being so I don't scratch it again before the cases start showing up.

So in conclusion...so far so good. Obviously I need to get home tonight so I can start adding different types of music to it so I can see how it performs...I only have a limited supply on my work PC. I'm definitely happier than I was with the Mini or the 4G, so that's a plus.