What are some of your favorite EA Sports 'Marketisms'

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

What are some of your favorite EA Sports 'Marketisms'

Post by bdoughty »

Mobiggins gave me this idea on an earlier thread. How EA loves to give it's features and upgrades those quaint little nicknames they Trademark.

My top 3

1. Liquid AI - Right up there wih "Emotion Engine" in my book.
2. TigerProofing - ProofEAIsTooLazyToGiveUsACourseCreator (for the consoles that is)
3. TigerVision - Yes I am too lazy to line up putts so please make a mode that almost guarantees the ball going in.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Did EA coin the term, Mario Running? Or did they just take out the patent?

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

GTHobbes wrote:Did EA coin the term, Mario Running? Or did they just take out the patent?
Neither? I doubt Nintendo would let them use Marios name and/or EA would coin a term regarding something negative about their game. Just something a gamer came up with.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

sorry BD, I was just being sarcastic. Liquid AI was my real # 1 in response to the title of the thread, and when I couldn't think of anything right away I thought I'd get in a little jab for that or suction blocking (EA long had a trademarke on this). I really ought to start taking it easier on EA, or be clearer with my sarcasm. :)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: What are some of your favorite EA Sports 'Marketisms'

Post by DivotMaker »

bdoughty wrote: 2. TigerProofing - ProofEAIsTooLazyToGiveUsACourseCreator (for the consoles that is)
3. TigerVision - Yes I am too lazy to line up putts so please make a mode that almost guarantees the ball going in.
While I despise TigerProofing, please share with the class exactly how EA is supposed to provide users with a Course Creator on current consoles?

TigerVision sucks. Could not agree more.

Toper
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Toper »

I'll never forget Madden 98's answer to combat Gameday's use of polygons:

V-Poly Technology
# Dynamically Loaded, Light Sourced, Super-Sprites
# Fast and Fluid Graphics

It was so successful that they went to polygons for '99...ah, the memories. :lol:

Toper

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

DivotMaker wrote:
bdoughty wrote: 2. TigerProofing - ProofEAIsTooLazyToGiveUsACourseCreator (for the consoles that is)
While I despise TigerProofing, please share with the class exactly how EA is supposed to provide users with a Course Creator on current consoles?

TigerVision sucks. Could not agree more.

The same way Timesplitters was able to make a multiplayer map editor for each of it's games and have it continue to grow each year. Allowing users to upload them online for other users to play. The one for Future Perfect is pretty advanced and I can't see why EA could have not developed a "Course Editor" even if it was limited at first. Actually I can see why, it costs money and time, two things that are like chalk on a blackboard in the EA Corporate HQ.

Even one of the launch titles on the PS2 (Swing Away Golf) had a simpler version of Tiger Vision way back

"in the year 2000".

For the Conan fans. ;) So it took 5 years of Tiger Woods games to create a tiny bit more advanced version of what Swing Away Golf offered? Sorry but EA won't get the E for Effort on this one.

Class has been taught, the bell has rung and you can all now go home to milk and cookies.

If you have not played Timesplitters FP or any of the series here is a FAQ to the map editor for an idea as to what can be accomplished. I just do not see how you can make such maps with all that detail (on PS2 & Xbox) and not be able to create a golf course. Especially with a hard drive on the Xbox and the ability to purchase one for the PS2 (or use a memory card or two).

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file ... pmaker.txt
Last edited by bdoughty on Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Toper wrote:I'll never forget Madden 98's answer to combat Gameday's use of polygons:

V-Poly Technology
# Dynamically Loaded, Light Sourced, Super-Sprites
# Fast and Fluid Graphics

It was so successful that they went to polygons for '99...ah, the memories. :lol:

Toper
I forgot about the V-Polys but that's a good one. I must have smoked too much in college because none of those catchy marketing-isms are coming back to me today.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

bdoughty wrote:I can see why, it costs money and time, two things that are like chalk on a blackboard in the EA Corporate HQ.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

how about:

1.'Brand New Features' : Season Mode, Exhibition Mode, Create-a-player mode (Madden 2001 PS2)

edit: I hear they will be using this same marketing technique for Madden 2006 for Xbox 360 and PS3

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

bdoughty wrote:
If you have not played Timesplitters FP or any of the series here is a FAQ to the map editor for an idea as to what can be accomplished. I just do not see how you can make such maps with all that detail (on PS2 & Xbox) and not be able to create a golf course. Especially with a hard drive on the Xbox and the ability to purchase one for the PS2 (or use a memory card or two).
Couple of things....just because the XBox has a 6 GB HD, does not mean that a course editor should be included. EA will not give the XBox users a featureset advantage over PS2/GC users. You also cannot possibly consider using memory cards to facilitate course creation. Course creation tools require a great deal of memory during the course creation process...not something you find in abundance on current consoles.

Next, you have no idea how large the filesizes of the console courses are. Some courses are upwards of 100 MB. Since the engines for each console vary to some degree depending on the different hardware requirements, this is yet another issue EA would not want to create for users.

Next, current consoles do not have the interface tools (gamepads versus mouse/keyboard) with which to do even rudimentary course construction unless you want the courses to look like they belong in LEGO Golf. This is one of the biggest issues that has prohibited a course architect in the TW console version.

Also, there has been little to no outcry from the masses regarding a console course architect. Why include a feature that customers are not clamoring for?

Lastly, the course architect for the PC version has hardly been updated since TW2002. The PC is the perfect platform for a course architect and EA has neglected the feature since 2002. It just hasn't been a big selling feature for a genre that is a niche' genre at best....

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DivotMaker wrote:EA will not give the XBox users a featureset advantage over PS2/GC users.
Of course it won't. EA, despite being the largest and richest electronic gaming software publisher in the world, is the unquestioned master of porting down.

Why in the world would EA ever want to develop a game with unique features for that platform's architecture or online gaming system, something that much smaller outfits such as Codemasters and smaller outfits such as UbiSoft do?

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Also, there has been little to no outcry from the masses regarding a console course architect. Why include a feature that customers are not clamoring for?
So the masses were crying for TigerVision, TigerProofing, More earrings for Barbies Dollhouse II? If so then the masses be damned.

Next, current consoles do not have the interface tools (gamepads versus mouse/keyboard) with which to do even rudimentary course construction unless you want the courses to look like they belong in LEGO Golf. This is one of the biggest issues that has prohibited a course architect in the TW console version.
FPS are best played with a mouse but somehow they keep popping up on consoles. Some even do a good job with the controls (see Halo). Some games, as the earlier mentioned (Timesplitters) somehow manage to put out a Map Editor that is pretty advanced (yet still controlled by the simplistic controller). One would even say it requires more to make a good map, then a good golf course due to all the factors involved.

Have you seen what people are able to do with the simplistic tools in the car editor in Forza? I think you and EA are giving gamers too little credit.

I put that in bold for a reason. Have you seen some of the cars? Care to explain how something like this can be done with the "rudimentary tools" available?

Lastly, the course architect for the PC version has hardly been updated since TW2002. The PC is the perfect platform for a course architect and EA has neglected the feature since 2002. It just hasn't been a big selling feature for a genre that is a niche' genre at best....
Funny how everyone here loves the PC version (that have played it) and one of the big reasons is the ability to download other courses (user created). Heck there have been a least a couple threads here at DSP on Augusta alone.

As for the EA dare adding a feature to the Xbox version, I realised from the get-go that would never happen. EA skated by this generation manking games for the PS2 and porting them out. Sure they wont give Xbox owners a featureset for a more advanced console, but they damn sure will port it from the PS2 and leave us with slowdown and other nagging issues on certain titles. What a deal. PK said it best and sadly there is nothing we can say to make you see otherwise.

All I gave the class were examples as to how EA could make a course editor, which is the question you posed to me. How they have had plenty of time to do so and yet TigerProofing is what we are left with. How the gaming community is obviously more talented then you and EA are willing to admit to. How other companies offer users creation tools, even with the limitations of a controller. How certain consoles (Xbox) and even the PS2 (with purchase of the HD) are more then capable of handling a course editor.

And the best you can do is reply with quotes that sound like they were typed from the desk of Larry Probst. Sorry I won't play the bad guy anymore. You need to follow your own advice from an earlier thread and just ignore anything I have to say. Remember you asked me the question. I am simply trying to stay on Jareds good side and out of pissing matches.
Last edited by bdoughty on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Quick note about consoels and golf course generation. Swing Away Golf for the PS2 had a course creator, and that was out in 2001-2002.
-Matt

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

matthewk wrote:Quick note about consoels and golf course generation. Swing Away Golf for the PS2 had a course creator, and that was out in 2001-2002.
It was a launch title (hence my Year 2000 joke). Was more of an editor of existing course styles allowing you to change the difficulty (similar to TigerProofing). Yet an example of how far behind EA was with Tiger Woods and customization of courses nonetheless.

Leebo33 wrote:
bdoughty wrote:I can see why, it costs money and time, two things that are like chalk on a blackboard in the EA Corporate HQ.
Heh, yes fingernails would have been a better choice. :)

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Heck- I think the original EA pga tour game and pga european tour game that we had on the Genesis were simply better because you created your player and then played in 4 round tournaments. Theres a neat concept that we cant seem to duplicate. Heck they removed the custom tour season from the pc game last time out.

Tony

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote: Why in the world would EA ever want to develop a game with unique features for that platform's architecture or online gaming system, something that much smaller outfits such as Codemasters and smaller outfits such as UbiSoft do?

Take care,
PK
Here we freaking go again.....read my lips....I am not DEFENDING EA's decisions. I do not like many of the their decisions like many of you don't. However, I do understand why they make the decisions that they do make, even though I do not agree with them. I am so tired of explaining why EA does the things they do and getting hammered personally because of it.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm just sick of playing on green concrete in all of EA's Xbox games when the game is supposed to be at a grass field. I know they port the games but they can't take a minute to change the color palette(sp?) from faded light green to regular or dark green?

Just little things like that add up.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Be careful what you wish for, because you might just get an earful....
bdoughty wrote:
So the masses were crying for TigerVision, TigerProofing, More earrings for Barbies Dollhouse II? If so then the masses be damned.
Is that what I said? Did I say the masses were asking for such idiotic features? Stupid statement.

bdoughty wrote:FPS are best played with a mouse but somehow they keep popping up on consoles. Some even do a good job with the controls (see Halo). Some games, as the earlier mentioned (Timesplitters) somehow manage to put out a Map Editor that is pretty advanced (yet still controlled by the simplistic controller). One would even say it requires more to make a good map, then a good golf course due to all the factors involved.
Have you ever created a golf course in ANY program? If not, then stop trying to compare a map editor for a car game that has nothing to do with creating a golf course. Ridiculous.

bdoughty wrote:I put that in bold for a reason. Have you seen some of the cars? Care to explain how something like this can be done with the "rudimentary tools" available?
No, I haven't and frankly I do not care. Comparing a car to a golf course with elevations, trees, panorama, and the various textures and objects that need to be placed is apples and oranges. Period.
bdoughty wrote:As for the EA dare adding a feature to the Xbox version, I realised from the get-go that would never happen. EA skated by this generation manking games for the PS2 and porting them out. Sure they wont give Xbox owners a featureset for a more advanced console, but they damn sure will port it from the PS2 and leave us with slowdown and other nagging issues on certain titles. What a deal. PK said it best and sadly there is nothing we can say to make you see otherwise.
Have I ever disagreed with the fact that EA does not spend time writing code to take advantage of each console's strengths? NO. As far as making me see otherwise, you are way off the mark as usual. If anything, I recognize EA's weaknesses regarding TW and the console versions as well or BETTER than anyone else. The fact that I know why they make these decisions and share them here make me non-objective? Sorry, but I think I have a clearer picture of EA and TW for consoles than anyone. Just because I am privy to why they make the decisions they do does NOT mean I support their decisions. I wonder when some of you are going to figure this out.
bdoughty wrote:All I gave the class were examples as to how EA could make a course editor, which is the question you posed to me. How they have had plenty of time to do so and yet TigerProofing is what we are left with. How the gaming community is obviously more talented then you and EA are willing to admit to. How other companies offer users creation tools, even with the limitations of a controller. How certain consoles (Xbox) and even the PS2 (with purchase of the HD) are more then capable of handling a course editor.
How many PS2 customers have a HD? Not very damn many. Certainly not enough to warrant creating a program for it. If a course editor was in so much demand, how come the one or two programs that have one have failed miserably? Swing Away Golf? Whatever....
bdoughty wrote:And the best you can do is reply with quotes that sound like they were typed from the desk of Larry Probst. Sorry I won't play the bad guy anymore. You need to follow your own advice from an earlier thread and just ignore anything I have to say. Remember you asked me the question. I am simply trying to stay on Jareds good side and out of pissing matches.
You can take your Larry Probst comments and shove it where the sun does not shine. You are the one who made the comments regarding a course architect for TW on consoles. I gave you SPECIFIC reasons (EA reasons because I have already asked them) why there isn't one. You decide that my answers are not good enough, so you decide that it is time to try to discredit me. I am sorry that you don't like the answers. If you are big enough to start the subject, at least have the cajones to accept the answer instead of trying to discredit others who know a bit more about the subject than you do.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Fight! Fight!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This is one of the most knowledgeable forums I have been involved in, yet for some reason it's also the most sensitive one. When will people understand that this is a free world we live in, and we have a freedom of speech which most of us use. However, not agreeing with someone's opinion brings almost always a discredit from another member. Why guys? Instead of an excellent SPORTS forum ,this forum sometimes has some much politic crap it becomes childish just because 1 person didn't like what the other person said. COME ON!

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Hide boys, here comes Jared.
gamertag: ddtrane65

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

10spro wrote:This is one of the most knowledgeable forums I have been involved in, yet for some reason it's also the most sensitive one. When will people understand that this is a free world we live in, and we have a freedom of speech which most of us use. However, not agreeing with someone's opinion brings almost always a discredit from another member. Why guys? Instead of an excellent SPORTS forum ,this forum sometimes has some much politic crap it becomes childish just because 1 person didn't like what the other person said. COME ON!
Yea COME ON! We do not need any of that childish crap around here. Oh wait, I recall you from another thread. Yea I guess being one of the most knowledgable forums you should try and follow with some actual facts and less attacking of the wonderful US of A. ;)

http://www.digitalsportspage.com/module ... ht=#101939

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And we have yet to see the facts...lol.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Fight! Fight!
Nope no fight here. Just answered questions posed to me and now I am done. If people are not capable of handling my reply they should not ask for it. Divot claimed he was not concerned about my opinion a couple of days ago and all of a sudden he is asking me questions. I am the same Bdoughty that starting posting on the internet many moons ago.

If you don't know me by now.... (hums softly)