OT: Official Indy 500 Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Holy sh*t, Kenny Brack lights up the joint and is the fastest car in the field.

Hope he's physically up for 500 miles, he could be damn fun to watch starting from the 23rd spot on the grid.

What's the scoop on Arie Jr.? Sounds like he was shaky yesterday--is PJ Jones going to take over or did he pass ROP?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:What's the scoop on Arie Jr.? Sounds like he was shaky yesterday--is PJ Jones going to take over or did he pass ROP?
Arie Jr. is through three of the four phases of ROP. Keep tabs through our live notes at:

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=4635

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Damn, I'm on vacation trying to listen to the live radio coverage using my laptop, but all I get is a voice saying "The program you are trying to access is currently being archived". Guess I need to get XM radio. ;)

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Although it's kind of sad to see the great man reduced to field filler status, AJ was hilarious today.

"Crap used motor from Target"
"He11 no, I ain't happy. We didn't come here to run in the back".

AJ took a day of very little drama and filled it with comedy and tragedy. The man _is_ living Indy history. There will never be another like him.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I was watching some ABC coverage this morning.

They featured that female driver but they did some cheesecake video of her.

Like she wasn't going to have problems being taken seriously.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

News flash for those watching or following online: There will be a bump attempt. Felipe Giaffone is in Foyt's #48 car and will try to bump Arie Luyendyk Jr. from the field.

Expect the attempt within an hour, as rain is coming here.

Out,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

bump accomplished! Arie's jr's 2nd attempt to get back in wasn't even close. Felipe gets the last spot! Cant wait for the race next week!

pk500 wrote:News flash for those watching or following online: There will be a bump attempt. Felipe Giaffone is in Foyt's #48 car and will try to bump Arie Luyendyk Jr. from the field.

Expect the attempt within an hour, as rain is coming here.

Out,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

That was a much-needed bump. Arie would have epitomized the term "moving chicane" if he made the field. My Dad and I were wondering what Arie's old man was thinking, throwing him into the deep end like that. Jr. got Sr.'s appearance but about 1/2 of the driving ability--his MIPS outings were very hit-and-miss.

sf, you hit the moment of the weekend with your post. Nothing beats a riled up AJ.

His experience does make me long for the days of Comptech, Speedway, Menard, et al providing their Aurora V8s instead of the factories playing favorites.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danica Patrick was on Jim Rome today and she is a pretty damn good interview. Too bad she is getting married.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Danica Patrick was on Jim Rome today and she is a pretty damn good interview. Too bad she is getting married.
To a dude who is 16 years older than her, too! Every guy's dream -- marrying a hot younger woman. :)

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Especially a hot younger woman who likes to drive 225 mph...that is definitely a dream.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

anyone else catch Danika on Letterman last night? She looked pretty cute in her skirt......nice legs! Letterman seems juiced about this Sun's race. Can't wait myself.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danica with a "c," my man, Jack. She's not Russian! :)

Take care,
PK

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

pk500 wrote:Danica with a "c," my man, Jack. She's not Russian! :)

Take care,
PK
But she'll be rushin' on Sunday.

Between Danica, Dave and P.L. Newman, last night's show was pretty deep in racing talk. I don't watch Letterman as much as I used to, but it seems like he's a lot more engaged when he's talking about a subject he enjoys, rather than just shilling his guest's product du jour. Danica was a pretty good guest, but her fashion advisor let her down on that yellow sailor suit top, frilly skirt ensemble. In that outfit, sitting in the gigantic chair, she looked more like a spelling bee champion than an Indy 500 driver.

Regardless of your stance on open-wheel politics, Dave's line about PK's boss was pretty funny.

I've decided I want to be Paul Newman when I grow up.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

sfz_T-car wrote:Regardless of your stance on open-wheel politics, Dave's line about PK's boss was pretty funny.
Damn, I missed the whole show. I have always appreciated the fact that Dave brings out the racers regardless of whether or not anyone knows who they are and ratings be damned. My guess is that his talent coordinators and CBS in general can't stand it when he brings on someone like JPM or Gil, but I think he must have put it in his contract that he gets to have the professional race car drivers when he wants. I remember back on the old NBC show when Juan Manuel Fangio was once in the audience, Dave was like a kid in awe of such a legend.

So what was Dave's line about TG?

PS - what happened with your forum name sf_z, did AJ give you a call to try for a spot?

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Ryan Briscoe crashed my primary account. Jared did some troubleshooting but the old sf_z has seemingly vanished without a trace.

Newman and Letterman were talking about NH's performance in Mexico over the weekend. Dave mentioned that NH also had two cars entered in the 500 and asked Newman whether he would be attending the race. PLN paused and said no because he had a problem with management.
The audience laughed although they probably didn't know exactly why. Dave timed his response perfectly, "We all have a problem with management, but we're still going to take his money". It was funnier on TV than it is in text. He didn't sound bitter or vindictive when saying it, and it was delivered with the Dave gap-toothed grin(tm).