Forza Impressions Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

Zeppo

When you pit you get the options of what to fix and how long it would take for your selection.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Longer races would be cool...gives me more of a chance to try to track Terry down.

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

Scoop, here's some of my thoughts on the Drivatar. I've been too busy playing to mess with the Drivatar any more, make sure you find some of the longer races, more money, less work.

My scores are mostly in the mid 70s without a lot of work, would like to work it up into the 80s once I work on it some more, especially when I set it off to the endurance races. I wonder if we could talk to each other if we had a "Drivatar" race???
Fshguy wrote:My "Fishatar"
Played around with the Drivatar feature:
-excellent learning tool for learning better/smoother lines
-it gives you a "critique"/percentage of ever corner and averages this into a final score per turn type, somewhat humbling with it telling you that you suck a lot. ;)
-The more you train the better it seems to get, I hotlapped Maple Valley 7 or 8 laps and it learned from that track how to drive it better, other tracks that was just based on the initial training just didn't do well
-funny, it picked up that I was breaking/checking up early into some corners during the training, mostly cause I didn't know the track, but it did catch onto the behavior to the detriment of it's driving
-The drivatar takes a lot of your credits when it's racing, one race I did, it won with 14k, but took 10.5k of it as a fee, without the rarity bonus and difficulty bonus, I think my cut would have been really low.
-on the flip side, this is a great way to earn a little money on a longer course by letting the computer do your work while you read the forums, etc.
-You have no interaction with the drivatar during the race vs. the GT4 B-Spec feature where you control the aggressiveness of the driver

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

TCrouch wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Also, I've learned that my Civic hatch-back is a POS. I need to get more upgrades and see what I can do. I already installed a better engine. . . . Maybe I'll get a different type of Civic and upgrade it up.
Yep. I actually kind of like the Civic Type R. Upgraded it's very competitive. Hell, I'll trade you mine if you want to test it.
Thanks for the offer. I have plenty of cash though (online career mode is so darn lucrative!), so I'll just buy one and try to crank it up. I may want to borrow a paint scheme though. . . . Still, I'm foolishly dedicated to my grocery-getter hatch-back. I want to see if I can make that thing quick.
TCrouch wrote:
pk500 wrote:I'm with you, man: I'd love to try a race that takes 15-30 minutes or so.
Ditto. I'd love to run a longer race.
Awesome. Maybe tonight we should run some 10-lappers (could be as long as 13 or 15 minutes I think, with these class-D cars on a long circuit), or even a 25-lapper on a shorter one.

PadresFan104
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by PadresFan104 »

pk500 wrote:That was a good race, Al. I was catching you like a bastard, but I think I would have run out of laps if you didn't make the mistake.

Good fun! And you were clean and fast. I need to give you my official online racing blessing the next time we race, which is:

"F*CK YOU, AL, YOU F*CKING DICK!"

That's a term of endearment from me. :)
Looking forward to it!!

- Al
XBL: Leadfoot5

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I really liked toca2 and nascar since they're pickup and play type games with limited tuning options. So..

Would you consider Forza too hardcore for someone like me who likes half sim/ half arcade racers ?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

If by hardcore you mean difficult, no. You can use the line and assists and do a good job of staying on the track and not sucking it up. The upgrades also do a good job of explaining what they modify, for the most part.

But if you're not the type to be interested in driving more sim like (IE, braking before the turn rather than during), then Forza might be too hardcore in that respect.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Weaver2005 wrote:I really liked toca2 and nascar since they're pickup and play type games with limited tuning options. So..

Would you consider Forza too hardcore for someone like me who likes half sim/ half arcade racers ?
No, as stated here and in other posts, there's something for just about everyone who likes racers in Forza.

There's tuning for the gearheads and ricer crowds, there's great customizable paint jobs, there's the offline career mode, there's the Drivatar, there are a ton of cars, and you can make the driving model as hard or easy as you want with assists.

This game is a winner for anyone who isn't totally wed to Ridge Racer or Burnout-style games.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Weaver2005 wrote:I really liked toca2 and nascar since they're pickup and play type games with limited tuning options. So..

My feeling is that Forza is trying really hard to satisfy those who seek immense depth, and those who are more casual racers. The assists, and especially the line thingie, are great help for those not well versed in racing games/sims. The cool thing is, the assists will help make a not so great driver pretty competitive, but in the end having assists off you can be quicker and have more control of the car if you are able.

The cool unique thing about Forza is the combination of a large stable of cars, great customization options (like cosmetic parts, paint and decals etc.), and online career-mode play. This means that everyone in our races has a unique car. Even if it's just the stock car with some stripes, or a bad paint-job and a goofy fish on the back :wink: , there is a lot of personality in the cars. If you feel like you can't compete with the really good drivers, it doesn't take too much work to be able to upgrade your car with better parts, and try again the next night (or even in 10 minutes after you hop out of the room to make some upgrades).

There are two things I am disappointed with in Forza so far. One is the paucity of circuits. I guess there are a lot of point-to-point tracks in here somewhere, but that ain't my bag (at least so far), so the true racing circuits are very small in number, realtive to everything else in the game, and definitely relative to ToCA. I am happy that for the most part, the fictional tracks are really good, but I would love to see more real-life circuits, and more circuits overall.

The second thing is the 30-second cutoff at the end of races. How you put in a beautifully modelled, 13.5 mile race track, and leave the cut-off at :30 is well beyond me to understand. Even in 3-lap races, this cutoff is really the one thing that can kill the experience for the less-skilled drivers. It's not so bad to finish 4 out of 8, especially if you are having a blast racing 2 or 3 other cars for that spot, but it just plain sucks to spend time online and get no cash for it, simply because other drivers are really good. I sure hope they patch that and make it a variable option, especially for career mode, since that would make doing 10 or 25-lap races in career mode much more palatable. I would also like to see the ability to choose 'simulation' level damage for career mode, but this :30 thing is the real fly in the ointment for me.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

How many 12 year olds are going to put a big "69" on every car in their stable? :D

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

No "69" for me but I have a big "81" on both sides of my car....to sweet

Now I need to learn how to design "pigpen", the peanuts character.

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

Zeppo wrote:etc.), and online career-mode play. This means that everyone in our races has a unique car. Even if it's just the stock car with some stripes, or a bad paint-job and a goofy fish on the back :wink: , there is a lot of personality in the cars. If you feel like you
Wow, I didn't know you've been close enough to notice... 8)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I was close enough, and I didn't notice.

Oh wait, that's cuz I could only see your headlights, I rarely saw the rear of your car 8)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Fshguy wrote:
Zeppo wrote:etc.), and online career-mode play. This means that everyone in our races has a unique car. Even if it's just the stock car with some stripes, or a bad paint-job and a goofy fish on the back :wink: , there is a lot of personality in the cars. If you feel like you
Wow, I didn't know you've been close enough to notice... 8)
Grrrr. . . . :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

TCrouch wrote:I was close enough, and I didn't notice.

Oh wait, that's cuz I could only see your headlights, I rarely saw the rear of your car 8)
I'll be sure to paint something "special" for you on the front... :lol:

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

yes, I had a blast last night as well. PK certainly makes it..... interesting. But in a good way. ;) I always dreaded hearing that rumble of the SAAB tho, the once or twice i actually managed to be in front of him.

As for all the guys who think they aren't "good enough". Relax, it's just for fun. If you accidently bump someone, who cares? It's only a game...... I am always scared of doing that too, but I try to maintain my lines and not do anything crazy...... (and if i do, it's the lag, not me. ;)

Besides, sometimes slower is better! I think I was middle of the pack on Blue Moutain when the entire field went into "that turn" and it looked like a wreck at Talledega. I came out of it in second behind.....whatever that dudes name was!

Anyway, all in all, I only played for about 4 hours yesterday off and online, and it's a friggin' blast.

Now, I just need to paint up my dangerous Fun in the Sun Yellow Focus and i"m all set..... :twisted:
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

PadresFan104
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by PadresFan104 »

Can't stop thinking about this game at work today. In my last meeting I was sketching out some decals I want to add to my Mini S tonight before going on-line...

I've had so much fun maxing out my Mini to be a D1, and customizing it with decals, that I'm thinking of moving on to another D class car before even messing around with the higher classes!

I have a tuning question for anyone who may be able to help. When you purchase the most expensive suspension upgrade, (the one that allows you to adjust ride height, spring rate and stiffness), do you benefit from the default setting, or is it necessary to make adjustments to the spring/shocks/height before you will realize any handling improvement?

I tried playing around with the springs last night, but it led to some serious understeer. I just put them back to default and went back to racing...

- Al
XBL: Leadfoot5

Millennium
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Millennium »

Damn you guys, bought it this morning...played it...love it.

Will see you online, GT: Millennium

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

how are the sounds of the engines? can you tell the difference between say a civic and a mustang ? i hate "generic" engine noises, it is maybe a small thing to some ppl but it is a huge deal to me... a car with 180hp should not sound like one with 400 hp.... did they use real sound clips does anyone know ?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:how are the sounds of the engines? can you tell the difference between say a civic and a mustang ? i hate "generic" engine noises, it is maybe a small thing to some ppl but it is a huge deal to me... a car with 180hp should not sound like one with 400 hp.... did they use real sound clips does anyone know ?
They are all different fletch. I've got a Civic and I've got a 68 Camero...completely different and accurate. I've got zero problems with the engine noises...they all seem to be authentic.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

aight sounds good man thanks

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Just got home from work tonight (Fri Eve), had it to mess with for about 20 min last night.

Look for me! :lol:

Boltman35 is my GT.

I'll be looking for you all.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Okay you f*ckers!!!!!! I caved!

oh....and I'm totally in love!!!!

The game is absolutly wonderful. The setup and LIVE integration is top notch.

For the record, I have ALL car assists off and am really enjoying the challenge. I do, however, have the drive line assist on. That thing is god sent!!! If that was not there I probably would bail on the game, but that drive line assistance is the best thing ever implemented in a racing game of this style, EVER! I don't know what I'd do without it. I am sure I will turn it off once I become familiar with the tracks, but, as others have stated, this assist is PERFECT for being able to be semi-competative and not totally screw everyone up online. Especially when you are not familiar with the track. It is really teaching me how to drive properly and breaking all my bad habits. Good for them to give us that option and be able to leave it on online.

See everyone soon at the race track!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

jus put my disc in. Ran a couple races. Really like the feel of the cars (assists off). This far, i prefer the TOCA 2 environment graphics. The vehicle selection disgraces GT4's non-interesting, artificial car-count, stable. The Porsche 944 sounded very niice. It will be my ride (in career) ASAP.

the music is butt-crack.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

vinny-b wrote:the music is butt-crack.
True. But I grant sonic absolution to any soundtrack that includes a version of Edgar Winter's classic tripping tune, "Frankenstein."

That song always reaches out and touches me. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425