EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Post by AcemanPR »

EA's PGA game definitely has transformed for the better, as it was pretty rough when it launched in March. It still needs some tweaking, but overall, it is fun to play. The career mode is definitely more engaging than its 2K counterpart.

pk, the approach shots are definitely tough early in the game. Over time, you'll unlock some new shot types that will help stay on the green. What I like about EA's game is the "randomness" where even if you hit a perfect shot, it could still veer off a little bit. That is how golf is in real life. Regarding the bunkers, most bunkers are designed as a funnel to them so errant shots do tend to roll in them if the grass is cut short. And I do believe the tournaments are only online right now, but the developers have mentioned offline tournaments may show up in the future. Glad you are enjoying this and I think it's definitely worth the $28 price tag.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the valuable feedback, Ace!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am
Danimal wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:54 am
From a single player aspect I'm loving this game so much more than 2K. I love the courses, the career mode and the shot types. Still room for lots of improvement but it's a great first step. Being able to play the final round (or all rounds) of an event vs an AI controlled golfer is a great addition imo.
Now that I have a Series X, I finally downloaded EA's golf game. While I'm far from a hardcore golf gamer and don't golf in real life, I live in a family of golfers. My father, mother, both brothers, both sons. So, the game is around, and I know it a smidge.

I like EA's game. I'm a single-player golf gamer, and I like this better than PGA 2K21 or 2K23. The courses are prettier. The commentary is way better. The presentation is snazzier. The swing interface is better, whether the usual stick swing or three-click. I love all the real courses and golfers. Putting is VERY intuitive to me; when I miss, it's because I misread the green, not because of any bad information I received from the line.

This game reminds me of EA's last attempt at NBA Live. Was it as deep as NBA 2K? No. But it was more natural, fluid and a hell of a lot more fun to play. A few tweaks, and it could have taken on NBA 2K. I feel the same about EA PGA Tour. Here's what I would like fixed (all on basic difficulty):

1. The ability to create a tournament and play against AI. Are all tournaments outside of the Career mode just online? That's lame.
2. I find it really hard to get approach shots to sit down on the green. Tough to get a shot to "stick" with backspin unless I hit a flop. What am I missing?
3. The bunkers appear to be made of steel, and my ball is a magnet. Any time my ball rolls near a bunker, it falls in. Seems weird.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this game quite a bit more than PGA 2K1 or 2K23. Might even buy it this week for $28 during the Black Friday sale.
I hated this game when it was released. Thankfully for gamepass I did not purchase it.

But I saw they fixed a lot of things about 6 months later so tried it again. It has to be one of the most rewarding games I've played in a while. I ended up eventually buying it when it was 50 percent off.

The game has a steep learning curve. It's not pickup and play like 2K golf is. But I really enjoyed learning how to play the game. It really makes you play like a real golfer. You have to know the swing mechanisms, the courses, and how to execute properly. For a good month when I was learning this game, it was one of the best gaming experiences in quite a while.

For single player golf, it is really a challenging and very fun game. Multiplayer a lot of features are missing but I didn't get this to play online.

Now the only s*** part of this game is they max you out at 50 skill points. The last patch they added it got increased to 60. If I had known this earlier I would have been wiser with the point allocation. But now maxxed out, there's really nothing else to do in this game. I can continue with my career but I've been so good now I can win most of the tourney's easy. Even on the hardest difficulties.

I hope they continue to support it. It was great they finally added the option to play 1 round vs all 4 rounds. And they kept adding new courses and tourney's this past year. But I feel like I've sort of beat the game now and have no desire to play. Maybe when the Masters is back in April I'll have more excitement to play again.

added - don't forget to play the challenges. those were very fun to do. especially the Master's ones where you have to make the putt from different players thru the history of the Masters. It was really fun strategizing and figuring out where and how to hit the ball to make the putts. Sometimes took like 10/20 tries on one hole but in a good way - where you can't stop playing until you succeed at the hole.

and if you need help learning the game checkout youtube. I had to change the swing settings that made me feel more comfortable. Also, the bunkers, you have to hit the ball on the edge of the lip so it doesn't roll 100 feet away. Easier said than done. There were two channels that were the best to help me learn the game but I can't remember then right now.
Last edited by Lancer on Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I think the game is great and applaud EA for this as it's one of my favorite sports games of the year for sure.

I do agree, however, PK that the bunkers are like magnets sometimes. If you're ball is even in the facility of one, it's going in lol. Saying that, this game really is great and there's been a lot of attention to detail put into it.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This is easily my sport game of the year, I haven't put more hours into any other sports game then this. I hope they just add features and refine some things in future releases. I heard the original plan was a season 2 DLC with more courses and pro's but now I hear they may not do a new release every 2 years. It's kind of all hands on deck for the college football game I'm told. They are hoping to blow everyone out of the water with that title.

I'd really like a Ryder Cup feature added to this game. Being on a team and playing with AI and spectating other matches. They just really need to speed up the AI players for that to happen.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:09 pm
This is easily my sport game of the year, I haven't put more hours into any other sports game then this. I hope they just add features and refine some things in future releases. I heard the original plan was a season 2 DLC with more courses and pro's but now I hear they may not do a new release every 2 years. It's kind of all hands on deck for the college football game I'm told. They are hoping to blow everyone out of the water with that title.

I'd really like a Ryder Cup feature added to this game. Being on a team and playing with AI and spectating other matches. They just really need to speed up the AI players for that to happen.
Didn’t they add Ryder cup when it was going on?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:12 pm
Danimal wrote:

The course yes, not a mode
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:27 pm
Lancer wrote:
Danimal wrote:

I thought they did that mode only online, but not offline.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm definitely buying this game on sale this week. I'm having more fun with EA's PGA TOUR than I have with a golf game since The Golf Club and The Golf Club 2.

Thanks for all the gameplay tips, boys. Keep 'em coming!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:52 am
I'm definitely buying this game on sale this week. I'm having more fun with EA's PGA TOUR than I have with a golf game since The Golf Club and The Golf Club 2.

Thanks for all the gameplay tips, boys. Keep 'em coming!
the game is also good if you want to achievement hunt. I ended up doing that after beating the game after a month of exclusively playing. For the sale price it's well worth it and then some.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Turned it on today and see they have update 8. Some gameplay enhancements.

https://www.operationsports.com/ea-spor ... tch-notes/

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:26 am
Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:27 pm
Lancer wrote:

I thought they did that mode only online, but not offline.
If they did I missed it because I don't play online
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:15 pm
Don't forget to do the daily free single player tourneys. those are so fun to do and only 3 holes. Helps build your skills up and you get pretty decent rewards. And you get those pink tokens to play in the other offline tourney's in that same mode.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:54 pm
pk500 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:15 pm
Don't forget to do the daily free single player tourneys. those are so fun to do and only 3 holes. Helps build your skills up and you get pretty decent rewards. And you get those pink tokens to play in the other offline tourney's in that same mode.
Thanks!

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Update 10 out today -

https://www.operationsports.com/ea-spor ... tch-notes/

Played today and got to say it runs so much smoother now. Also the graphics seem better. nor Maybe it's just me not playing for a long time.

Lots of single player matches now. Like the old TW games.

update - played a skin round vs Poulter. I forgot HOW GOOD this game is. That month I played this game exclusively was one of the best experiences I've had in gaming.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Curious-am I the only one playing three clicks and not using swing stick?
Tony

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MUTTS wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:51 am
Curious-am I the only one playing three clicks and not using swing stick?
Tony
a lot of ppl use three clicks from what i've read on reddit

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I switch back and forth.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I use the analog swing mechanic, but I've been playing a lot of the old Hot Shots Golf games (mainly world invitational and HSG 2) and really enjoy the 3-click interface in those games.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I just recently switched to play Sim, or whatever the level is without any aids, zoom camera, club boosts (which I hate). Basically you get the golfer look, distance to the hole, club distance and yardage book and I find it the most realistic experience for me. I also use the sticks for swinging
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sticks here. Enjoy this game so much more than 2K golf.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Sticks.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

On gamepass this Thursday 4/4

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Latest update out! Jack Nicklaus added as a player, new courses include Augusta National Par 3 course, Valhalla, Pinehurst No. 2, and Royal Troon!

https://www.ea.com/games/ea-sports-pga- ... notes-12-0

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

AcemanPR wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:21 pm
Latest update out! Jack Nicklaus added as a player, new courses include Augusta National Par 3 course, Valhalla, Pinehurst No. 2, and Royal Troon!

https://www.ea.com/games/ea-sports-pga- ... notes-12-0
will try these tonight