Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Danimal »

fanatic2 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:07 pm

Wondering what my first Game Pass download should be - maybe Yakuza Like a Dragon? Ori Will of the Wisps? Star Wars Fallen Order?
I honestly was most impressed with Madden in terms of how much better it plays.

Also NBA2K from a graphical standpoint.

If I'm being honest thought nothing has been mind blowing at this point and I'm not even sure what the next "big" release is going to be.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:47 am
fanatic2 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:07 pm

Wondering what my first Game Pass download should be - maybe Yakuza Like a Dragon? Ori Will of the Wisps? Star Wars Fallen Order?
I honestly was most impressed with Madden in terms of how much better it plays.

Also NBA2K from a graphical standpoint.

If I'm being honest thought nothing has been mind blowing at this point and I'm not even sure what the next "big" release is going to be.
Agreed about NBA/Madden - playing both on PS5.

Also agree that there's a lack of mind-blowing stuff on the horizon....this gen seems more about things playing smooth/load times/better lighting/etc....

I was too tempted by Flight Simulator...and Starfield (too big of a sci-fi geek to resist)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dan pretty much nailed it. Unless there is a game that you want to play that’s only available on the Series X/S this gen is what I expected. It’s just a progression and refinement of what we played last gen. But for me the big selling point is Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:30 pm
Dan pretty much nailed it. Unless there is a game that you want to play that’s only available on the Series X/S this gen is what I expected. It’s just a progression and refinement of what we played last gen. But for me the big selling point is Microsoft Flight Simulator.

yes this is what i struggle with. why put down $500 for something that just plays last gen games a little better. I can just live w/ XBO/PS4 then and save my money until maybe 2-3 years down the line when true next gen games start coming out more and more.

but flight sim is really the game that may just push me to get next gen.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:47 pm
yes this is what i struggle with. why put down $500 for something that just plays last gen games a little better. I can just live w/ XBO/PS4 then and save my money until maybe 2-3 years down the line when true next gen games start coming out more and more.

but flight sim is really the game that may just push me to get next gen.
I’ve been playing MS Flight Sim since version 4.0 so seeing the current version is like a dream come true. It’s the reason why I picked up a Series S. I’ve played MSFS 2020 on the PC and it plays great with an Xbox controller, so no worries there and just an aside, the last version which came out in 2006 also plays great with a controller.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I just watched a video about improvements coming to MSFS. Evidently there are some “massive” graphical/visual improvements coming on the 27th (XBSX launch day). Every indication is the game will be able to run with some pretty high visuals.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

[But you won't be able to play MSFS in VR on the Xbox, right? Honestly, I bailed on consoles after the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and haven't looked back. MSFS 2020 is not a lure for me to get back on that bandwagon. I have MSFS on PC in VR, and going 2D would be a downgrade. The immersion I get from VR is something I enjoy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

F308GTB wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:36 am
[But you won't be able to play MSFS in VR on the Xbox, right? Honestly, I bailed on consoles after the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and haven't looked back. MSFS 2020 is not a lure for me to get back on that bandwagon. I have MSFS on PC in VR, and going 2D would be a downgrade. The immersion I get from VR is something I enjoy.
There is talk of VR coming to the XBSX eventually but nothing solid has been announce.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

funny but accurate at 3 min mark

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Really enjoying my time with the Series X and Game Pass thus far.

I expected to feel the "value" difference, but I didn't really grasp how it would change the way I game.

It's such an easy system to just turn on and bust out a quick session or jump from game to game. Gaming on the PS5 feels like a more "here's my dedicated gaming time" type of session where I'm really intense about it. With Series X/Game Pass/Quick Resume, gaming is a bit more accessible - like I'm sitting down to watch Netflix in some down time. Of course the Series X can deliver those intense long sessions if you want it as well...

Game Pass hits for me:
-Lonely Mountain Downhill. My word, this game is fantastic.
-Donut County. Great indie game...kids loved it as well.
-MLB The Show. It's been a couple of years since I've played the series. Kind of got stale for me. But this one is clearly a refined version of everything they've done so far. Best sports title I can remember playing for a long time.

I wouldn't call them misses, but I don't think I'll be playing them any further:
-Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I was wowed at first, but the platforming controls don't feel responsive or accurate enough for me to make me want to continue.
-Planet Coaster. I thought this would be great for me and the kids, but the interface seemed a bit unintuitive and not sure it's as "pick up and play" as I'd hoped.

What is the smart play in terms of holding off on big game purchases on the Xbox? I'm afraid that if I buy games like Mass Effect Legendary Edition or Resident Evil 8, they will end up on Game Pass within a year and I'll be regretting it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic2 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:58 pm
What is the smart play in terms of holding off on big game purchases on the Xbox? I'm afraid that if I buy games like Mass Effect Legendary Edition or Resident Evil 8, they will end up on Game Pass within a year and I'll be regretting it.
I think this varies by person and publisher. All Microsoft titles land on GamePass on Day One. Sure looks like Bethesda titles are heading that way, too. I doubt EA's games will, though, even though EA Play was rolled into GamePass.

So, you need to decide just how badly you MUST play a game around its release window before deciding whether you purchase or not, and again that varies by person and publisher.

For example, I no longer buy Madden. I just wait and play the previous year's version until the current version comes to GamePass. Same with the NHL series. But I buy FIFA every year. One, my youngest son and I love it. We both play it a lot. So, I will get value for $60 by buying on release day. Plus FIFA stays out of the EA Play Vault longer than any of its titles -- maybe because it's the most popular and profitable EA Sports title globally.

Release Day purchases for me come down to titles in a series or franchise that I'm almost CERTAIN I'll enjoy. The next The Division game? Day One purchase. The next Isle of Man TT game? Day One purchase. The next F1 game? Eh, not sure. Love the series, but most of the changes and improvements seem to be incremental every year, and the Codemasters/now EA Sports F1 games always seem to make it to GamePass sooner or later.

Before GamePass, I probably bought 10-15 games per year, between full price and sale purchases. Now I might buy five. I'd just rather wait for GamePass on most titles -- that's why I subscribe.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Good advice...Mass Effect/RE8 (in my case) aren't "must plays" at this point, so I'll probably give them some more time, in the hopes they jump onto Game Pass.

Too many games in the backlog anyway!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

fanatic2 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:22 pm
Good advice...Mass Effect/RE8 (in my case) aren't "must plays" at this point, so I'll probably give them some more time, in the hopes they jump onto Game Pass.

Too many games in the backlog anyway!
Honestly in the case of Mass Effect, since I have EA Play Pro it was "free" on the PC. I tried to play it again and really didn't think the remastered games where a big enough draw for me so I stopped.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So after today's announcement, anyone interested in the Steam Deck? I'll pass because of the price and I really don't play much portable games anymore. I also have a pretty beefy gaming PC. With the current shortages of the PS5 and Series consoles it'll be interesting to see how well it sells. Supposedly the hardware is very close to the PS5 and Series X/S.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 pm
So after today's announcement, anyone interested in the Steam Deck? I'll pass because of the price and I really don't play much portable games anymore. I also have a pretty beefy gaming PC. With the current shortages of the PS5 and Series consoles it'll be interesting to see how well it sells. Supposedly the hardware is very close to the PS5 and Series X/S.
Doesn't quite compare - https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/2257 ... comparison

Intriguing, but like you I don't do portable much, if any, to justify,

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I was introduced to XCLOUD on my Xbox One and it's so amazing.

Played MLB the Show on my iphone 6, yes it's old, but it played great.

the technology is incredible these days for gaming.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

F308GTB wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:03 am
Rodster wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 pm
Doesn't quite compare - https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/2257 ... comparison

Intriguing, but like you I don't do portable much, if any, to justify,
That article is the definition of comparing Apples to Oranges. Comparing it to an XBXC and PS5? So a handheld PC compared to 2 powerful, non-portable devices?

At least they tried to compare it to the switch and based on what they say it seems a more powerful option. I reserved one as it cost me $5 to do so, the type of games I play mostly strategy and turn based will probably be fine on it.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

All your videos always say not available.. is it just me?
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Not just you, I can never see videos on here.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

JOZ wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 pm
It’s not him it’s your browser. I see it fine. From what I remember it’s people that use chrome I think.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was able to place an order for a PS5 Disc with Walmart. I'm not getting my hopes up reading they love to cancel orders. So we'll see but if I do get one it's scheduled for Aug 5th.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

JOZ wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 pm

Same.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm
I was able to place an order for a PS5 Disc with Walmart. I'm not getting my hopes up reading they love to cancel orders. So we'll see but if I do get one it's scheduled for Aug 5th.
Good luck! Definitely pick up Ratchet and Clank if you can. I’m playing through God of War for the first time and what a special game it is.