MLB The Show 21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 21

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Dynamic difficulty - always. Never really lets you run off a ton of wins in a row unrealistically.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:22 am
Dynamic difficulty - always. Never really lets you run off a ton of wins in a row unrealistically.
I still suck, but Dynamic Difficulty is such a cool feature.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:57 am
Agree Fletcher about the commentary. It's definitely a sore spot in an otherwise great game. It's a shame they can't do little updates throughout the season to keep the commentary fresh. I will say that the franchise commentary updates are pretty cool. They'll talk about a pitcher's last start, whether they struggled or not. And they mention little things like whether a certain player is doing well. Thankfully, we can turn off Heidi Watney. But I'd still love to have if they kicked Matt V to the curb and brought in a new commentary team. Or at least, do something similar to the NBA 2K series with two announcing crews.

The dual sense controller is pretty awesome with this game. When you hit a perfect pitch, you definitely feel the oomph of the controller in your hands. And they also included a catching feel/sound. High praise for the haptic feedback.
Yep, the commentary is very repetitive. I played three random games based on live rosters last night, and both teams entered the game on seven- or nine-game winning streaks in ALL THREE GAMES.

Easy for me to overlook, though, as the rest of this game is SO aces. My only other quibble is LOB is not listed in the box score. I really like to know just how many dudes I stranded every game in an act of self-flagellation. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:22 am
Honestly I think that is what I have it set too.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Dynamic difficulty for me.

Been enjoying the game overall, and mostly playing MTO. For right now, as I get used to the game, it's the best way to get lots of fun action, make some subs, and close out games. Not a fan of the dropping in games where you play locked as one player, so you can earn or lose him a boost, but it's alright. Certainly not making me any more interested in RttS.

Been messing around with DD, but I'm not feeling it so far. it may click if I start playing Conquest.

It's taking some time to get used to the looser controls than SMB3 has. It makes sense, and its fine, but I've gotten my OF out of position a few times and given up inside the park home runs. But I 've also made great plays, and will get used to the feel of the game.

Still messing with batting cameras, and trying to get better at reading pitch types and balls and strikes. But I'm hitting pretty well now. I have a couple walk off home runs already. And really, I want to change a lot bout the cameras. I really don't like the default much at all when fielding and running the bases.

I uses directional hitting, but may switch. For now, it's a nice easy way to get used to the game. I'm using Pinpoint Pitching, and I like it. I still think 2K's entire pitching mechanics was better, but this goes a long way towards making pitching feel more immersive in the same way as it did in 2K. I'd love them to add pitch count warnings and penalties on pitches like 2K had, but this is pretty fun for now. And my pitching is far from pinpoint, so I have a long ways to go to get real accurate.

I'm on my One X, but I dialed it back to Faster, and it helps the gameplay a lot. I don't think the frame rate was awful on Normal, but it just felt a bit janky. I think it looks find in 1080p, but it does make getting a Series X a little more desirable. Also, the menus are kind of ridiculously slow, especially when going in and out of modes.

It's nice to have AAA licensed baseball game on my Xbox again, and I would have been just as pleased if I had spent the money on the Jackie Robinson edition I had preordered. That I got it for free, essentially, makes this a fantastic experience.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I have wanted to play The Show for years. I loved the MVP series, Triple Play, enjoyed the 2K series, and have had fun with the SMB franchise. Oh, and tolerated RBI.

But The Show just looked better than them all.

And now I know...it is.

By miles.

And I'm honestly glad I haven't gotten to play it until now. This is just another year of baseball for you PS owners.

It's Christmas for the rest of us.

I've never played 5 solid hours of baseball, ever. Until now.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

March to October is freaking the coolest feature ever in a baseball game. Being able to play certain parts of games, sometimes playing as a player to boost them, coming in to close a game or get a big hit, etc... It really shows off all parts of the game in one neat package.

I'm like 8.5 games out with the Cardinals but I just made a trade for Mets LHP SP David Peterson and he pitches an 8 inning 1 run/5hits/8K game as we win 2-1 over the Mets believe it or not. I was getting nervous because I couldn't make any pitching changes and he was getting tired as pinpoint pitching became harder as his energy got into the yellow. Every hit ball I was hoping my fielders would make a play.. in fact Arenado dove to snag a sure hit and made a great play for the out and I was pumping my fist. :)

Now I'm on a nice little win streak... it's just so well done and I'm really enjoying myself like a little kid at Christmas.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 am
So I started 3-0 with the Whitesox on the road vs the Angels. They only managed a single run in each game. My 3 starting pitchers accounted for 11,10 and 9 strikeouts. I'm playing at the suggested difficulty level, forgot what it was called. I don't know a thing about the Sox even though I live in Chicago, are they this good or is my difficulty level just not high enough?

Every game has been different in terms of offense on my part but all their run were on a solo shot each game, by the same guy funny enough.
That's pretty realistic, Dan. Just read a blurb at Axios Sports about how strikeouts in MLB are at an all-time high, at 9.4 whiffs per nine innings, and that MLB so far this season is on track to have the lowest combined batting average in history, .232. That's five points below the lowest mark in history.

Again, I haven't followed baseball for nearly 30 years. I'm seeing some of the same results as you in games of The Show. So, I was stunned when I read those numbers and thought, "Damn, The Show is even more realistic than I thought." :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 pm
That's pretty realistic, Dan. Just read a blurb at Axios Sports about how strikeouts in MLB are at an all-time high, at 9.4 whiffs per nine innings, and that MLB so far this season is on track to have the lowest combined batting average in history, .232. That's five points below the lowest mark in history.

Again, I haven't followed baseball for nearly 30 years. I'm seeing some of the same results as you in games of The Show. So, I was stunned when I read those numbers and thought, "Damn, The Show is even more realistic than I thought." :)
That's the reason why they are moving the pitching rubber back 12" in the Atlantic league...testing out the results to curb some of the strikeouts. It's getting out of hand really.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Hitters don't hit for average anymore... it's all about the long ball.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Xbox One S framerate is in the shitter again. Not sure what happened. It was fine for a while. I wonder if it has to do w/ the stadium you play in or not.

Someone mentioned on the Xbox One X they changed the setting to 'fastest'. Is that setting in the console or in the game?

They are really forcing me to upgrade to a Series X or PS5 I guess.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Sorry I haven't played this game in years but the details I always love. I was playing the Giants at night and Buster Posey had his fingernails painted yellow.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:55 pm
Xbox One S framerate is in the shitter again. Not sure what happened. It was fine for a while. I wonder if it has to do w/ the stadium you play in or not.

Someone mentioned on the Xbox One X they changed the setting to 'fastest'. Is that setting in the console or in the game?

Yes, the stadium DOES determine the smoothness on non PS5/Series X consoles.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Lancer wrote:

I do not have the the xbox,but on the ps4 pro the settings are in video/audio settings with sharper=4k ,, balanced = 1440p (or 2k if you prefer) and faster = 1080p. Sharper is non playable for me,more often that not so is balanced. I even see a stutter on faster once in awhile,but all and all it plays very good. It is still a pretty game even at 1080p. But yea I'm on the lookout for a Ps5. Like Db mentioned ,the ballparks,time of day,etc. all contribute to the frame rate. Hope this helps

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 pm
Lancer wrote:

Yes, the stadium DOES determine the smoothness on non PS5/Series X consoles.

when i first read this i thought you were being sarcastic. But Ive played some more and I think you're correct.

Played a DD Offline Conquest game at KC - very smooth. Played another one at SF - choppy.

Do you think it's the same on ps4? In 20, i don't remember it being this bad - thought it played pretty smooth on my OG PS4.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:32 pm
Do you think it's the same on ps4? In 20, i don't remember it being this bad - thought it played pretty smooth on my OG PS4.
I've been talking about it in this thread...even on my PS4 Pro last year, it was never very good. So clearly you really need Next Gen to get it smooth in all ballparks/situations.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

This is hilarious:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/com ... ame=iossmf

Finally got the hang of pinpoint pitching. It’s really awesome. Finally walking guys when I’m desperately trying to throw a strike & such. Unrelated: I wish you could hear the fireworks going off when you hit a HR (or is there a setting for that?).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

digital foundry

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:20 pm
This is hilarious:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/com ... ame=iossmf

Finally got the hang of pinpoint pitching. It’s really awesome. Finally walking guys when I’m desperately trying to throw a strike & such. Unrelated: I wish you could hear the fireworks going off when you hit a HR (or is there a setting for that?).
That video is epic. I love how the pitcher's teammates just run past him, dead on the ground, and into the dugout.

Yep, Pinpoint Pitching is so much fun. Took me awhile to get the hang of it, but I love it now.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

On the next gen version I thought that there was going to be an option to share custom stadiums? I don't have the patience to build them myself, but i imagine that there are some people out there who would attempt to recreate some classic stadiums or minor league stadiums that would be fun to get. Maybe that is something coming later - but I am not seeing it yet.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

kevinpars wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:49 am
On the next gen version I thought that there was going to be an option to share custom stadiums? I don't have the patience to build them myself, but i imagine that there are some people out there who would attempt to recreate some classic stadiums or minor league stadiums that would be fun to get. Maybe that is something coming later - but I am not seeing it yet.
I’m not sure but I believe they are in the Vault.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm playing with the API on (catcher calling the pitches), which I prefer. However, sometimes the camera will cut away to the pitcher and highlight the pitch but not the location. How do I turn that off so it always shows the camera angle from the broadcast view?

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:14 pm
I'm playing with the API on (catcher calling the pitches), which I prefer. However, sometimes the camera will cut away to the pitcher and highlight the pitch but not the location. How do I turn that off so it always shows the camera angle from the broadcast view?
It is in the presentation settings...I think it is called leverage pitch camera...
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Zlax45 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:30 pm

It is in the presentation settings...I think it is called leverage pitch camera...
Yes I believe that's exactly it if I remember correctly.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Zlax45 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:30 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:14 pm
Thanks! I'll check it out when I get home.