MLB The Show 21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 21

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 am
I'm on an OG Xbox One. Not even an S. Maybe one or two framerate hiccups for an entire nine-inning game. No clue about my resolution settings -- whatever is default.
so i played it on my OG XBO and its smoother.

Anyone who is a tech expert - why would this happen on an older console?

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Played my first game on Xbox last night...Phillies at Mets, All star defaults with pitch speed increased by 2. Weird game as I lost 15-2: I had 14k’s with DeGrom and another 5 by familia...19k’s . Unfortunately the Phillies hit 6 bombs.
Next game was A’s vs Red Sox...more of the same...gave up 4 bombs and lost 10-2.
3rd game I was pitching a gem with Wainwright and had 2-0 lead through 5 when I stopped the game.
Definitely gonna have to adjust some slider settings but I have 20 on PS4 with the same sliders and have never give up that many home runs.
Also felt wrong to be playing this on my Xbox one X. Also had no issues with frame rate and was playing it on “balanced” which you can find in the settings menu.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

tjung0831 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:12 pm
Played my first game on Xbox last night...Phillies at Mets, All star defaults with pitch speed increased by 2. Weird game as I lost 15-2: I had 14k’s with DeGrom and another 5 by familia...19k’s . Unfortunately the Phillies hit 6 bombs.
Next game was A’s vs Red Sox...more of the same...gave up 4 bombs and lost 10-2.
3rd game I was pitching a gem with Wainwright and had 2-0 lead through 5 when I stopped the game.
Definitely gonna have to adjust some slider settings but I have 20 on PS4 with the same sliders and have never give up that many home runs.
Also felt wrong to be playing this on my Xbox one X. Also had no issues with frame rate and was playing it on “balanced” which you can find in the settings menu.
Are you playing on a 4k tv? For me I don't have any of those options come up like 'balanced' in the game settings menu. When I go to Audio/Video it just starts with 'Volume Presets' for me. I have no other issue with this on other games on my 4K tv.

edit - I just saw your on Xbox One X. I am on Xbox One S - maybe my console doesn't trigger that settings menu since I'm not on Xbox One X?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Screwed around with it for about 3 hours last night. Mostly with Diamond Dynasty. Mode seems very addictive.

Game plays smoothly and is gorgeous playing with the Series X on my Q80T.

I also got a very nice settings tutorial from Diablo on Live.

Extremely early but so far MLB The Show 21 is not bad for a free game. Not bad at all.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:20 pm
tjung0831 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:12 pm
Are you playing on a 4k tv? For me I don't have any of those options come up like 'balanced' in the game settings menu. When I go to Audio/Video it just starts with 'Volume Presets' for me. I have no other issue with this on other games on my 4K tv.

edit - I just saw your on Xbox One X. I am on Xbox One S - maybe my console doesn't trigger that settings menu since I'm not on Xbox One X?
Yep 4k tv. The One X is giving me that option
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Busch Stadium looks great transitioning from dusk to night.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I lowered home run power by one. Still seeing on average 2 per game but it feels better than playing on default. Also, lowered the outfielder arm strength by one but I do that every year.

I just got swept by the Reds and didn't score in the last two games. Had my chances but either was popping the ball up or striking out in key situations. I'm ready to force Molina in to retirement!! He's been awful.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

this is sort of off topic but is this game considered a system seller? I thought it would be a big deal to the general non-sports gamer but browsing the internet gaming sites most people aren't even aware it was released.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I like playing with 'guess pitch' on. It's a nice little reward for getting it right (even if I still swing and MISS 99% of the time).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

even w/ some of the framerate issues im finding the game fun. I really like DAILY MOMENTS in DD this year. I'm offline guy in DD and it's nice to have something to look forward to daily. Great little addition.

MTO i am absolutely loving. Rosters are having an issue right now so once they fix that, I'll start my franchise.

Im sure they will fix the framerate issues so not too concerned about that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
I'm on an OG Xbox One. Not even an S. Maybe one or two framerate hiccups for an entire nine-inning game. No clue about my resolution settings -- whatever is default.
It varies from stadium to stadium...at least last years did. And no Pulse Pitching? LOL...it's by far my favorite way. The accuracy is much more varied.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm
pk500 wrote:
It varies from stadium to stadium...at least last years did. And no Pulse Pitching? LOL...it's by far my favorite way. The accuracy is much more varied.
that is what i am seeing today on xbox one S. Maybe they fixed it but the framerate is much smoother today offline. It does seem to depend on the stadium.

I am also a pulse pitching user for many years. I like that you have some user input on the pitch and also the CPU varies in the rating of the pitcher. It's a good balance of skill / user input and statistics / ratings.

by chance - what system are you playing this on? I think you mentioned you have both ps5 and xbx

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:22 pm
this is sort of off topic but is this game considered a system seller? I thought it would be a big deal to the general non-sports gamer but browsing the internet gaming sites most people aren't even aware it was released.
If you're a non-sports gamer, why would a sports game be a system seller?

I'm not a fantasy-based RPG guy at all. So, The Witcher 4 could be the greatest game in history and lick my balls nightly, and I'm not buying a system for it.
Last edited by pk500 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm
pk500 wrote:
Like I said, Pulse Pitching is like a bad mushroom trip or too much good hash for me, man. But I'll keep trying it.

Have you tried Pinpoint Pitching? Maybe I'll get very adept at it some day, but right now I'm finding it challenging and fun.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

MizzouRah wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:33 pm
Busch Stadium looks great transitioning from dusk to night.
You should try Sportsmans Park with overcast. Played a game there and the outfield bleachers were pretty foggy but the players uniforms popped. Cubs vs Cards went 16 innings. My Cubs won 3-2. Was down 2 0 in the 9th before Baez went opposite field. Flaherty struck out 10 but was removed after Rizzo got on before Baez homered.

But Sportsmans Park is pretty great visually I guess because the high bleachers block the sun just right.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pm
even w/ some of the framerate issues im finding the game fun. I really like DAILY MOMENTS in DD this year. I'm offline guy in DD and it's nice to have something to look forward to daily. Great little addition.

MTO i am absolutely loving. Rosters are having an issue right now so once they fix that, I'll start my franchise.

Im sure they will fix the framerate issues so not too concerned about that.
Be sure to set the Graphics to the lowest setting on the last gen XB. You shouldn’t have those frame rate issues.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Maybe it's because I didn't play a lot of MLB 20, but this game just feels so fresh. The game play is incredible and love the ups and downs of the season. I came off getting swept against the Reds. I had such a difficult time just getting a run across the plate. I think I may have gotten shut out twice. Turned it around and just won the first 2 against the Phillies and put up 6 and 7 runs in consecutive games. Still 4 games out of first at 12-11 but sticking around.

Loving the analog pitching and directional hitting. Very nice not having to tinker with settings like I have in past versions of the game.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 pm
what system are you playing this on? I think you mentioned you have both ps5 and xbx
Series X. No need for a ps5 now that Xbox has the only game I really cared about on Playstations for the previous generations lol.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

TheGamer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:27 pm

You should try Sportsmans Park with overcast. Played a game there and the outfield bleachers were pretty foggy but the players uniforms popped. Cubs vs Cards went 16 innings. My Cubs won 3-2. Was down 2 0 in the 9th before Baez went opposite field. Flaherty struck out 10 but was removed after Rizzo got on before Baez homered.

But Sportsmans Park is pretty great visually I guess because the high bleachers block the sun just right.
I'll check it out!

Beat the A's today 6-4 with two runs in the 9th.. Carlson is a beast for me so far in all the exhibition games I've been playing. I love pitching with Jordan Hicks.. he has some nasty stuff.

Going to start either a Cardinals franchise and sim here and there or maybe try March to October out. I'll wait on the first patch as I've read the AI does some wonky things with their rosters.

I agree with Dan, each game has been so different, a diving catch, a dive and miss, misplayed balls off the wall, etc...

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm
Lancer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 pm
what system are you playing this on? I think you mentioned you have both ps5 and xbx
Series X. No need for a ps5 now that Xbox has the only game I really cared about on Playstations for the previous generations lol.
DB,

How to you compare the controller experience on MLB The Show coming from the dual shock all of these years?

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Those who are doing franchise what difficulty are you on? And do you use sliders?

I really am liking the Xbox controller. Always felt the ps controllers felt like toys. Took a while to get use to the harder button presses but I like the weighty feel when batting.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Lancer wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 am
Those who are doing franchise what difficulty are you on? And do you use sliders?

I play a full 162 game franchise (or try to). I don’t simulate anything, and I play every pitch. I don’t do spring training, though. For the last few years I have done hall of fame difficulty for both hitting and pitching, but this year I am having way more difficulty hitting. I have hitting at all star for now, and pitching at HOF. I don’t adjust sliders at all, and I’m happy with how the game plays. I definitely feel like this game will be amazing for 22, but this year feels like a very minor upgrade. No doubt this is because they had to develop for last gen and next gen. I’m expecting next year to feel more fresh. Anyone who has played this game yearly has got to be tired of the stale ass commentary. They didn’t add many lines this year, but the ones they did add are already being beaten into the ground. It’s still the best sports game going, but I don’t have that next gen feel with it (60fps is awesome, but last years game hit that on ps5)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I started 3-0 with the Whitesox on the road vs the Angels. They only managed a single run in each game. My 3 starting pitchers accounted for 11,10 and 9 strikeouts. I'm playing at the suggested difficulty level, forgot what it was called. I don't know a thing about the Sox even though I live in Chicago, are they this good or is my difficulty level just not high enough?

Every game has been different in terms of offense on my part but all their run were on a solo shot each game, by the same guy funny enough.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Agree Fletcher about the commentary. It's definitely a sore spot in an otherwise great game. It's a shame they can't do little updates throughout the season to keep the commentary fresh. I will say that the franchise commentary updates are pretty cool. They'll talk about a pitcher's last start, whether they struggled or not. And they mention little things like whether a certain player is doing well. Thankfully, we can turn off Heidi Watney. But I'd still love to have if they kicked Matt V to the curb and brought in a new commentary team. Or at least, do something similar to the NBA 2K series with two announcing crews.

The dual sense controller is pretty awesome with this game. When you hit a perfect pitch, you definitely feel the oomph of the controller in your hands. And they also included a catching feel/sound. High praise for the haptic feedback.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I figured everyone played on dynamic difficulty? That's what my setting is on.

Going to dig into a Cardinals March to October today.