The really great TV thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The really great TV thread

Post by sportdan30 »

HBO Go and HBO Now are having a promotion starting today, 4/3. You don’t need a subscription to watch for a limited time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygo ... ve-pikachu

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:HBO Go and HBO Now are having a promotion starting today, 4/3. You don’t need a subscription to watch for a limited time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygo ... ve-pikachu
Mega tip. Thanks, Dan!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm 8 episodes in to Kingdom on Netflix and I'm hooked. I'm not a fan of MMA necessarily, but the show is more than just that. Great acting and good story telling. There's 3 seasons total. It was originally a Directv exclusive show, but they marketed it terribly. Very much recommended.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:58 pm
I'm 8 episodes in to Kingdom on Netflix and I'm hooked. I'm not a fan of MMA necessarily, but the show is more than just that. Great acting and good story telling. There's 3 seasons total. It was originally a Directv exclusive show, but they marketed it terribly. Very much recommended.
Yup, one of my favorite series ever. Great show.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:41 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:58 pm
Yup, one of my favorite series ever. Great show.
Holy crap. I can't believe there's 20 shows in season 2. I kept thinking I'm on to season 3 after episode 12 or 13. This show has exceeded my expecatations. As a bonus, I've discovered some really great music. Going to really miss this show when it's all said and done.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Finished Dark, digging into Mindhunter.

Dark started out stronger than it finished.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

wco81 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:18 pm
Finished Dark, digging into Mindhunter.

Dark started out stronger than it finished.
Mindhunter is a bit slow but it's good.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Loved Mind Hunter. Dark is all over the place now, can't make heads or tails of it, past, present, future, subtitles... I wanna curl up and relax with a flavoured coffee not take a mental exam. :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Loved Mind Hunter.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Personally, I'm excited after the horrendous finale.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ted-series

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:39 pm
Personally, I'm excited after the horrendous finale.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ted-series
In truth after the first season or two, the show was a mess. Probably the premise couldn't be sustained.

But curiosity will draw back some viewers, not to mention Showtime is struggling to be relevant after the end of some of its biggest shows.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

This reminds me of when people were geeked for x files coming back and then people watched it... Hey, but who knows? Could be good? :?:
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Waaaaaay late to the party, but for anyone else who hasn't gotten around to it, Narcos is excellent. Wife and I have recently binged up through most of Mexico Season 1, but will finish the rest soon.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

GameSeven wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:27 pm
Waaaaaay late to the party, but for anyone else who hasn't gotten around to it, Narcos is excellent.
Never too late as I only just watched the Breaking Bad seasons this year. Now I have started watching Narcos and have gotten through most of season one this week. Good s***.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

This Disney+ barrage was something.

I mean I really love Star Wars. I think Mandalorian is f***in brilliant. But this is too much damn Star Wars :lol:
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

RobVarak wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:25 pm

I mean I really love Star Wars. I think Mandalorian is f***in brilliant. But this is too much damn Star Wars :lol:
Lot of Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar series may be coming.

It does need original content, which is what draws people to subscribe.

However you see they won't dilute the Disney classic properties but they will pimp out the others. Just have to see how good all are.

A lot of it may be little more than fanfic put into production.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Teresa and I just binged the hell out of Haunting of Bly Manor, and it was perfectly splendid. If you saw Haunting of Hill House, it's the same producer and much of the same cast. That season was based super loosely on the classic Shirley Jackson novel, while this season is based, again, super loosely, on Henry James' novella, Turn of the Screw.

We are most of the way through The Queen's Gambit, which is pretty fantastic, too. But the last few nights, for something "lighter" we've watched the latest Lucifer on Netflix, which has been surprisingly good after moving to Netflix. It's not going as dark as even Sabrina, but it has gotten more grim and less, "Like Castle, but this time he's the devil!" Honestly, both versions are good, but it's an adjustment. The latest episode really pays off on that, too.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

wco81 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:51 pm
RobVarak wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Lot of Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar series may be coming.

It does need original content, which is what draws people to subscribe.

However you see they won't dilute the Disney classic properties but they will pimp out the others. Just have to see how good all are.

A lot of it may be little more than fanfic put into production.
We are at a point right now where Amazon is locked in, since we use Prime shipping constantly, and Hulu is also one I watch a ton of because of FX and current network TV. So we rotate one other service, which is Netflix right now.

At some point Disney and HBOMax will get a month or two. But then, I am pretty burnt on all things super hero, and really any big time sci-fi/fantasy franchise stuff. I'm sure I will watch more of those, but I'm not sure they sell me on a service anymore. Well, Star Trek does, because CBS is only 5.99 a month, and Teresa wants to watch it more than I do.

If my daughter was 5 years old, we would have Disney+ for sure. But it's mostly the stuff we got burned out on over the last several years, and younger content we just don't need to pay extra for anymore. HBOMax look interesting, and might end up becoming we flip back and forth with Netflix.

I've been kind of surprised by how much content Peacock has for free. We just take it with commercials, which are short, with a countdown, which somehow makes it less annoying. None of the original content seems remotely worth subscribing, so far. That is one place CBS is just destroying NBC. I'm going to pay CBS some money next year to watch The Stand and whatever Star Trek thing they put out.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Pretty crazy show on Sony Crackle which you can get on any device or stream from your PC. The Crackle Original is called "Insomnia". Some compare it to the Hunger Games. It's violent and disturbing at times but thought the idea was pretty cool. It was filmed in Moscow of all places. There's a short trailer on Crackle if anyone is interested.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not sure if it’s even been mentioned on here since it’s 96 pages long but I’ve been binging Suits which was a USA show back when it was on but now it’s steaming on Amazon and Peacock. If you’ve got prime, do yourself a favor and watch it there. No ads.

An absolutely brilliant show based around a law firm...great acting, writing and wit. I’m addicted. 9 seasons so plenty to watch. And there are some really good looking people cast. Lol.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:11 pm
Not sure if it’s even been mentioned on here since it’s 96 pages long but I’ve been binging Suits which was a USA show back when it was on but now it’s steaming on Amazon and Peacock. If you’ve got prime, do yourself a favor and watch it there. No ads.

An absolutely brilliant show based around a law firm...great acting, writing and wit. I’m addicted. 9 seasons so plenty to watch. And there are some really good looking people cast. Lol.
Dude, I just started watching it too. Megan Markle is hot as balls. Very good show that I had heard of but never gave it a chance.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Been watching Person of Interest on HBO Max. Missed it the first time.

It grew out of 9/11, NSA spying, all that, to build “the Machine” an AI which uses every camera and electronic communications in the world to predict terrorist and any other kind of violent acts.

They don’t call it AI because AI, machine learning and neural networks were not quite the buzz words they are now.

Good action show with ruminations on privacy, big govt., etc. though. Not a big fan of West World but POI was also created by Jonathan Nolan.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:59 pm
Dude, I just started watching it too. Megan Markle is hot as balls. Very good show that I had heard of but never gave it a chance.
For sure. Never thought twice about her as a princess or whatever she is now...but damn she got my attention on this show.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I had to search this thread for any mention of The Expanse and I saw a few with similar underwhelming takeaways that I had to watching the first two episodes several months back. But my wife and I returned to it, rewatched those two, and now it's gained some better traction at least into season two now. Perhaps not for everyone but, in my case, I'm glad we returned to it.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I love The Expanse. I haven’t read the books, only watched the show. The first season really got going after a bit, and while I was sort of disappointed with how it heavily shifted from very hard sci-fi into semi-supernatural stuff, I still really dug it. Having finished off season 5 now, it’s really become one of my beloved shows with some of my favorite characters from any recent show. I think it’s top-notch stuff! Well made, well written, well acted. I can’t recommend it highly enough. I’m really happy Amazon saved it.