Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

wabash97 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:21 pm
PK,

Funny thing, I messed with WRC 8 again and couldn't quite find a sweet spot, so I scrolled back through this thread and picked up MXGP Pro (if I can't mountain bike in the winter this is the next best thing, sorta, right?), and it's a ton of fun. I think I had MXP 2 at one point, but it was just too easy. This seems to be in that sweet spot of challenging but rewarding.

So thanks for that recommendation :D
My pleasure, man! Yeah, I played MXGP 2 on GamePass. It was fun but too arcadish for my tastes. If I want arcade dirt bikes, I'll just get MX vs. ATV, which is fun.

MXGP Pro nails that sweet spot you mentioned. Excellent game that can be grabbed for dirt cheap these days. It's the motocross game to get if you have any interest in realism. But I also like how the game can be tailored to any skill level or gameplay vibe -- you can make it as sim or arcade as you want. Love that flexibility.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I don't know how I feel about this deal but according to this story it all but looks certain Take Two are buying Codemaster's. I can picture the new and improved career mode where you need to buy VC so you can progress in your F1 career. :P

https://www.planetf1.com/news/codemaste ... -take-two/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Assetto Corsa Competizione on sale for $20 for Xbox One. Grab it if you like sim racing games -- you won't find a more enjoyable sim to drive on a console, with controller settings that suit you.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

If you're thinking that arguably the best GT sim on the market today isn't your kind of thing (it is, though), there are a fair few other racers in the XBox sale, which I would list for you in full if I didn't lack discipline in these matters. Off the top of my head, there are good discounts on some of the usual suspects - Grid, Moto GP 19 - along with 50% off WRC9. On the off-chance that anyone's been waiting for Project Cars 3, I'll mention that it's reduced to £29.99 digitally here, and that I can get a physical copy for £19.99 from Amazon. I haven't, but I can.

On PC, EA have 50% off the enjoyable Wreckfest and 25% off Need For Speed: Most Wanted Remastered, a new spin on the remastering craze in which a game that had no need of a remaster to start with has been made to look ever so slightly worse than it did 10 years ago. It could catch on, I suppose.

There's also 20% off Art Of Rally on Steam. db, how did that one hold up for you over the longer term? I really enjoyed the developer's previous effort Absolute Drift once I got my head around the handling, so I assume I'd find plenty to love here too, but I'd be interested to know if it's held your attention.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:02 pm
There's also 20% off Art Of Rally on Steam. db, how did that one hold up for you over the longer term? I really enjoyed the developer's previous effort Absolute Drift once I got my head around the handling, so I assume I'd find plenty to love here too, but I'd be interested to know if it's held your attention.
It has definitely held up although I've been playing a lot more on the new Xbox since release so I haven't played for a bit. The driving model is just so fun for an "arcade-ish" rally game. It's legit believable, which makes it a great pick up and play quick game. It was worth every penny when I bought it, tho I don't remember how much I even paid now. :)

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Has anyone tried RaceRoom? Some of the cars and tracks are interesting, especially at the Black Friday pricing.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dave wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:00 pm
Has anyone tried RaceRoom? Some of the cars and tracks are interesting, especially at the Black Friday pricing.
I did several years ago. I stopped supporting the game because it basically came down to realizing it was a modded version of rFactor and you were now paying for those mods. Since rFactor 2 was moved to Steam, I think that is the best overall value because you have a ton of free quality mods part of the Steam Workshop and you can buy mods directly from the developer. Sorry but I don't know what Raceroom is based on these days.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:18 pm
Dave wrote:
I did several years ago. I stopped supporting the game because it basically came down to realizing it was a modded version of rFactor and you were now paying for those mods. Since rFactor 2 was moved to Steam, I think that is the best overall value because you have a ton of free quality mods part of the Steam Workshop and you can buy mods directly from the developer. Sorry but I don't know what Raceroom is based on these days.
Raceroom is one of my favorites. Solid single player AI, looks very good in VR, known as having the best sound, good mix of tracks and cars. The downsides are the pricing model (but if you get a "complete" version in a sale, it is good) as new cars and tracks are paid DLC and the need to connect to their servers. The nearest comparison would be the old GTR or GTR2 games of the past.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Dave wrote:
Also, if you decide to get R3E, if you purchase a chunk of VRP from their US store, you can get an even bigger discount. For example, 10,000 VRP is discounted 35%, so $65 instead of $100. Don't know what the current premium pack is in VRP, but the discounts will stack.

https://www.raceroomstore.com/us/list_page?cat=24

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Sales happening now on the XBox store for those interested:

- 50% off Assetto Corsa Competizione, with discounts on the DLC too
- 50% off F1 2020, both standard and Schumacher editions
- 50% off WRC9
- 80% off The Crew 2, if you're into that sort of thing
- 80% off the original Assetto Corsa: Ultimate Edition
- 85% off Seb Loeb Rally Evo
- 75% off Dirt Rally 2, both standard and GOTY Editions
- 30% off Ride 4
- 75% off GRID
- 60% off MotoGP 20, which I'll come back to in a minute
- 60% off NASCAR Heat 5, both standard and Gold editions
- 40% off Project Cars 3 (though I suspect you'll find it cheaper physically)
- 50% off Monster Jam: Steel Titans
- 33% off Monster Truck Championship
- 20% off each of the Tony Stewart games
- 60% off FIA European Truck Racing Championship - this one expires tomorrow morning so be quick

On MotoGP 20, you can in fact download it for 100% off if you're a Game Pass subscriber, as it's now included within your subscription. Was I asleep when they announced that?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Don't waste much time on MotoGP 20. It's dreadful, just like every Milestone MotoGP game. Spent about an hour last night with it and deleted it immediately. Isle of Man TT 2 kicks its ass in every way, and Ride 3 is better with a hell of a lot more variety, too.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'd recommend WRC 9 for anyone that enjoys rally games and has or will be getting a next gen system! Racing game of the year for me!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

AcemanPR wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:55 pm
I'd recommend WRC 9 for anyone that enjoys rally games and has or will be getting a next gen system! Racing game of the year for me!
Yep
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:03 pm
AcemanPR wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Yep
Yep yep.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I think I have asked this before, but any of you playing WRC 9 with a wheel on Xbox One, particularly the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Italia Edition? I think I have owned almost every version of the WRC series, sometimes both on PC and Console, and for the life of me, I have never been able to get good control/force feedback settings for my wheel. After WRC 8, I decided no more, I am not going to fall for it this year (same thing with the Nascar Heat series which has terrible FF and wheel support). I have held out this year on Nascar Heat 5, but I ended up with WRC 9 and it certainly looks like the best version yet, but as usual, I just can't get any decent wheel settings dialed in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:29 pm
Don't waste much time on MotoGP 20. It's dreadful, just like every Milestone MotoGP game. Spent about an hour last night with it and deleted it immediately. Isle of Man TT 2 kicks its ass in every way, and Ride 3 is better with a hell of a lot more variety, too.
PK, what does Ride 3 do that the MotoGP games don't? Coming from the same studio as they do, I'd always assumed that a bloke who isn't much good at bike racing games wouldn't notice a huge difference in feel. Not so?

I am definitely not much good at MotoGP 20. I finished in a gentlemanly 18th place at Jerez last night, having graciously let the points scorers disappear over the horizon while I tried to work out what to do. My corner exits are awful, my entries are only marginally quicker and I'm not really in control of the bits in between. I still don't hate it, but perhaps I will if I ever become competent.

I also gave MXGP Pro another go last night. Still crap at that too.

WRC9 owners: I have WRC8, I am not a next-gen owner and have no immediate plans to become one. Save me 25 quid if you can, please, by telling me I don't need WRC9...

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:14 pm
WRC9 owners: I have WRC8, I am not a next-gen owner and have no immediate plans to become one. Save me 25 quid if you can, please, by telling me I don't need WRC9...
If you are staying with the PS4/Xbox One family, there is no need to get WRC 9.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Adam:

The problem with MotoGP 20 is that it feels like Milestone took the handling model from John Surtees' MV Agusta and placed it on a current Grand Prix machine. The bikes are lifeless. Dump truck handling. Terrible throttle response. Pathetically long braking distances for machines that use carbon-fiber brake discs.

The 1000cc Superbikes in Ride 3 feel more alive and nimble out of the box. And even those have nowhere near the tactile sensation and sliding of a motorbike that you feel in Kylotonn's Isle of Man TT series.

I had the same question as you about WRC 9. I was less than impressed with the handling model of WRC 8 compared to DIRT Rally 2.0. So, unless WRC 9 has a significantly different feel, I'll stick to Codemasters' offering, which I love.

I know the WRC series has a much more realistic handling model on asphalt than the DIRT Rally series, but I do not like asphalt rallies in real or virtual life. I accept them as part of a career or championship mode but NEVER choose them for a fun one-off stage or rally. Dirt, mud and snow are for rallying; asphalt is for getting to the stages! :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Cheers Aceman - much appreciated.
pk500 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Adam:

The problem with MotoGP 20 is that it feels like Milestone took the handling model from John Surtees' MV Agusta and placed it on a current Grand Prix machine. The bikes are lifeless. Dump truck handling. Terrible throttle response. Pathetically long braking distances for machines that use carbon-fiber brake discs.
I'm halfway to meeting up with you here, I think. The braking distances feel alright at Jerez, based on nothing more scientific than me watching an onboard video of Vinales racing there and seeing if I brake anywhere near where he does, but the throttle response...sometimes it does respond, other times it doesn't. I ask the bike to go and it gets a bit louder, but the revs plateau or even drop and the AI come past me. Not on every corner, but on the same corners every lap and normally where the engine is lower down in the rev range. I've dropped TC and anti-wheelie down to 1, I've tried overriding the semi-auto gearbox to be in a lower gear on corner exit and that makes things sound better, but they don't seem to move any faster.
I know the WRC series has a much more realistic handling model on asphalt than the DIRT Rally series, but I do not like asphalt rallies in real or virtual life. I accept them as part of a career or championship mode but NEVER choose them for a fun one-off stage or rally. Dirt, mud and snow are for rallying; asphalt is for getting to the stages! :)
I quite like tarmac rallies in games because they're normally the ones I don't crash into any trees on. In real life, though...amen.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Steam's winter sale is up and running with discounts on a huge number of racing sims. I won't list them here for reasons of space but I will note that the discounts appear to be in line with previous Steam sales, so if they've not been large enough to tempt you previously, you might not feel any differently now.

What I'll do instead is recommend you pop over to the Epic Games Store and pick up Art Of Rally. With sales and an automatic $10 coupon applied, I think you're looking at paying $8.74 for it and if my first hour is anything to go by, you'll be picking up a huge amount of fun for the money. The car list is vast, all unlicensed but with very obvious inspirations, everything I've driven so far has the characteristics you'd expect and while it's not DiRT Rally, it's not an unconvincing handling model, with weight transfer carrying particular importance. It also looks gorgeous.

The only little wrinkle is the physics model's relationship with gravity, which is a tad lighter and more distant than it ought to be, but it's also consistent so you'll get used to it in fairly short order. Other than that, not a thing to whinge about so far. Very much looking forward to getting stuck in to the meat of the career over the next few days.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 pm
What I'll do instead is recommend you pop over to the Epic Games Store and pick up Art Of Rally. With sales and an automatic $10 coupon applied, I think you're looking at paying $8.74 for it and if my first hour is anything to go by, you'll be picking up a huge amount of fun for the money. The car list is vast, all unlicensed but with very obvious inspirations, everything I've driven so far has the characteristics you'd expect and while it's not DiRT Rally, it's not an unconvincing handling model, with weight transfer carrying particular importance. It also looks gorgeous.

The only little wrinkle is the physics model's relationship with gravity, which is a tad lighter and more distant than it ought to be, but it's also consistent so you'll get used to it in fairly short order. Other than that, not a thing to whinge about so far. Very much looking forward to getting stuck in to the meat of the career over the next few days.
Yup, seconded.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 am
I don't know how I feel about this deal but according to this story it all but looks certain Take Two are buying Codemaster's. I can picture the new and improved career mode where you need to buy VC so you can progress in your F1 career. :P

EA has topped Take Two's bid, with an offer of $1.2 billion.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:37 pm
Rodster wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 am

EA has topped Take Two's bid, with an offer of $1.2 billion.
Yeah we mentioned that in the Codemasters F1 2020 thread.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Adam:

I re-downloaded MotoGP 20, thinking I didn't give it a fair shake the first time.

Decided to start from a lower base and raced with a Moto3 bike. Tinkered with the assists and worked with the virtual crew chief in the Guided Setup, and at least I can race and have fun. The throttle response still needs work, but the braking is better. I also get a better sense of the wobble and sliding that these machines create.

Now I plan to get a good feel for the riding model through Moto3 and then move up to Moto2 and eventually MotoGP.

One piece of special credit to Milestone: You really need to obey the braking points in this game. You can't jump on the brakes late and then just slide through the corner like an arcade game. Props.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:55 pm
Adam:

I re-downloaded MotoGP 20, thinking I didn't give it a fair shake the first time.

Decided to start from a lower base and raced with a Moto3 bike. Tinkered with the assists and worked with the virtual crew chief in the Guided Setup, and at least I can race and have fun. The throttle response still needs work, but the braking is better. I also get a better sense of the wobble and sliding that these machines create.

Now I plan to get a good feel for the riding model through Moto3 and then move up to Moto2 and eventually MotoGP.

One piece of special credit to Milestone: You really need to obey the braking points in this game. You can't jump on the brakes late and then just slide through the corner like an arcade game. Props.
Any tips for an absolute new comer? I downloaded it off game pass & I’m just getting started. Should I leave the brakes combined? What’s the best camera to use?