Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Diablo25 »

10s, I am not having any issues at all with COD WZ or the new one. They added the hi res texture pack which adds to the experience, Frame rates on nearly every game are buttery smooth. That is the biggest thing aside from load times. According to devs (and MS) the XBSX hasn’t even been totally “opened up” to developers...which is as expected, but keep that in mind.

Have you checked your video output settings on the XBSX? Not sure what your TV is but once I set my Sony X900H to 120 hz things got even smoother. I even saw improvement in PGA2K21. I do realize that most do not have the newer TVs which can handle 120hz/VRR but if your does - change that setting.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Games are rarely a decision making criteria for me. I all the consoles have more games than we have time to play. Moreover, games fail to hit their mark all the time. I'm not going to get an Xbox just for Halo Infinite or the nex5t Gears, because it could freaking suck. Every game they mentioned might suck.

It's not that Sony doesn't have a history of great single players games, they do. But the number of great games to be played on PS vs Xbox is negligible. It's not a factor. If you have to have AAA baseball game, then its the PS5.

What makes a console good or bad is how well it makes your media consumption enjoyable or great. And PK has the right of it, Gamepass and Live make gaming more fun. And it's not really even close for me.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 pm
10s, I am not having any issues at all with COD WZ or the new one. They added the hi res texture pack which adds to the experience, Frame rates on nearly every game are buttery smooth. That is the biggest thing aside from load times. According to devs (and MS) the XBSX hasn’t even been totally “opened up” to developers...which is as expected, but keep that in mind.

Have you checked your video output settings on the XBSX? Not sure what your TV is but once I set my Sony X900H to 120 hz things got even smoother. I even saw improvement in PGA2K21. I do realize that most do not have the newer TVs which can handle 120hz/VRR but if your does - change that setting.
My copy is a disc one, not sure if that’s the issue. From what I understand the digital copy fits nicely into the series X. This is Cold War that keeps crashing on me.

The high res package since we last spoke is there from Modern Warfare so I don’t know what it is, but my game is crashing on the MP modes except Warzone and Zombies.

Still playing on a 65’ Samsung 8000 series which doesn’t have the 120hz/VRR that you mention.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

While I'm so embedded and happy in the Xbox ecosystem that I see no need to change, I'm not blind enough to admit Microsoft f*cked up by launching the Series X/S without a compelling lineup of next-gen games that wow and delight gamers.

Right now, Microsoft's marketing pitch is, "Hey, spend $500 on our shiny, new toy so existing games look better and load faster!" Not very compelling.

Meanwhile, Sony has haptic feedback from the new controller and a couple of true next-gen titles at launch. So, I get why people are more impressed by Sony's launch.

Microsoft's launch reminds me of buying a Ferrari but only being allowed to drive it on city streets for the first six months of ownership. The open roads of next-gen games and other features that show the console's true performance will come, but right now this is a launch with one arm tied behind the X and S units.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:08 pm
While I'm so embedded and happy in the Xbox ecosystem that I see no need to change, I'm not blind enough to admit Microsoft f*cked up by launching the Series X/S without a compelling lineup of next-gen games that wow and delight gamers.

Right now, Microsoft's marketing pitch is, "Hey, spend $500 on our shiny, new toy so existing games look better and load faster!" Not very compelling.

Meanwhile, Sony has haptic feedback from the new controller and a couple of true next-gen titles at launch. So, I get why people are more impressed by Sony's launch.

Microsoft's launch reminds me of buying a Ferrari but only being allowed to drive it on city streets for the first six months of ownership. The open roads of next-gen games and other features that show the console's true performance will come, but right now this is a launch with one arm tied behind the X and S units.
And yet you still can’t find one and that will likely be the case for six months. So what’s their downside again? They sell through what they produce regardless of innovation. They are like Apple (before these new M1 chips in laptops anyway). Zero innovation, just shiny and new and they print money. There’s something to be said for good business decisions whether or not the general public agrees with you.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The global sales figures after six months will be interesting.

My point is there's not as much compelling RIGHT NOW in the Series X/S for the discerning consumer who is platform agnostic. I'm not platform agnostic, so I''m committed to the X/S and want one as soon as I can get my mitts on one, especially since I still have an OG Xbox One.

But you'd have to be a massive fanboy of the Xbox to objectively say the OVERALL offerings from Microsoft are superior to those from Sony at launch. Sony has the haptic feedback controller and a couple of true, next-gen games. And I truly believe that Sony would be outselling Microsoft right now if there was ample supply of both machines. That probably would happen because the Sony brand is more popular worldwide than Microsoft. But Microsoft's less-than-impressive launch -- both from supply and features -- isn't helping, either.

I also think this launch is odd compared to prior launches, especially from Microsoft's perspective, because it seems Microsoft is designing the new system to be hamstrung to cater to backward compatibility more than true next-gen titles. That's quite a change from the past, when both Sony and Microsoft said, "Your desire to play games that ONLY will work on the new systems quickly will overwhelm your desire to have backward compatibility, so we're pushing forward with titles that only work on the new systems."

Like it or not, that generated sales and a lot of buzz for new systems. Sure, there's plenty of buzz about the X/S, but most of the chatter is about its lack of availability, not about how gamers are blown away with its new features other than faster load times and smoother framerates.

Maybe the hobby has matured to a point of diminishing technical returns, much like phones. We don't see features on new phones that blow us away like they did 10 years ago, yet we're still paying premium prices for them. I guess consoles have reached that tipping point where we're lemmings for the new bright shiny when there's not a hell of a lot new underneath the skin, at least not evident at launch.

TL;DR -- Do I want a new Series X? You bet your ass I do. But do I feel as bad now about the prospect of not getting one until January or later? Hell, no. My FOMO evaporates a bit every day.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Do I want a new Series X? You bet your ass I do. But do I feel as bad now about the prospect of not getting one until January or later? Hell, no. My FOMO evaporates a bit every day.
I dont think you are really missing out anything. There is NO compelling Reason to buy either one of these systems.

The only "next gen" launch game I'm interested in is Demons Souls and I played through that twice in 2009. I see little or no difference between that or a next gen enhanced and updated version of Gears 5 or even the next gen enhanced Forza Horizon etc.

I bought the XSX purely for hedonistic reasons. I wanted one. I am happy I got it along with a new Samsung 80T for the VRR and 120 hz. They are fun new toys, like I imagine the PS5s new controller feature is, that have reenergized my console gaming but they are just that. New toys.

Fun new toys that no one really NEEDS to console game. At least not for another year plus.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The controller on the PS4 had haptic feedback did it not? I played games where it also acted as a speaker.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 pm

So are you getting notified when they are in stock ? I’ve struck out every time . Please share your secret
I got an email this morning at 6:30 am as I'm a rewards member. It said Black Friday starts now so I clicked on it and then clicked video game systems and both the PS5 and XSX said add to cart, I was thinking yeah ok so I did and got a message that due to high demand they would release them every few minutes so you had to wait until add to cart came back up and then you would click again.

I clicked on my cart and it was empty and last viewed was the XSX so I clicked add to cart again and was taken to payment options which thankfully had my BB credit card stored so I clicked checkout and was given a confirmation order # and a text to my phone.

Here is a good link though..

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/where-to ... x-series-x
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

tjung0831 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 pm
The controller on the PS4 had haptic feedback did it not? I played games where it also acted as a speaker.
The DualShock controller on the PS4 had rumble features, not the new Taptic features. Yes the PS4 DualShock had a speaker. The new controller has a speaker AND and mic built into it. Early impressions of the controller are excellent. To be honest its the only thing Sony seems to have done better (hardware wise) with their system. Both launches are a s*** show as far as supply, but there is a world wide pandemic ongoing sooooo. Outside of a few launch games, the PS5 and XBSX launches have been very similar.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:16 pm
tjung0831 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 pm

So are you getting notified when they are in stock ? I’ve struck out every time . Please share your secret
I got an email this morning at 6:30 am as I'm a rewards member. It said Black Friday starts now so I clicked on it and then clicked video game systems and both the PS5 and XSX said add to cart, I was thinking yeah ok so I did and got a message that due to high demand they would release them every few minutes so you had to wait until add to cart came back up and then you would click again.

I clicked on my cart and it was empty and last viewed was the XSX so I clicked add to cart again and was taken to payment options which thankfully had my BB credit card stored so I clicked checkout and was given a confirmation order # and a text to my phone.

Here is a good link though..

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/where-to ... x-series-x
I'm a rewards member...got that same email this morning around 4:30am. :lol:
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Ok Diablo, so here’s the scoop on COD Cold War. The local GS personnel knows me well over the years so I told them what the issue was playing the disc version of the game. Apparently I am obviously NOT the only one having these crashes, but anyone owning a disc whether you play it on the X or PS5.

So they were nice enough to give me an exchange for the digital version of the game and after trying the MP modes, it seems to be fine now. My only confusion though is when I went into the MS store I saw a couple of versions of the game including one that said ‘Enhanced version for the X/S’. But I wasn’t going to pull out $120 CaD for that.

The digital version I have is a standard version, don’t see anything graphically outstanding compared to the Xbox One but like you said before, there might be yet another big patch coming up from Treyarch especially for those people still having problems with the physical copy, where we’ll see more the potentials of this game.

Which version did you get? And yes I do have the enhanced graphical package from Modern Warfare installed from last year.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 pm
Ok Diablo, so here’s the scoop on COD Cold War. The local GS personnel knows me well over the years so I told them what the issue was playing the disc version of the game. Apparently I am obviously NOT the only one having these crashes, but anyone owning a disc whether you play it on the X or PS5.

So they were nice enough to give me an exchange for the digital version of the game and after trying the MP modes, it seems to be fine now. My only confusion though is when I went into the MS store I saw a couple of versions of the game including one that said ‘Enhanced version for the X/S’. But I wasn’t going to pull out $120 CaD for that.

The digital version I have is a standard version, don’t see anything graphically outstanding compared to the Xbox One but like you said before, there might be yet another big patch coming up from Treyarch especially for those people still having problems with the physical copy, where we’ll see more the potentials of this game.

Which version did you get? And yes I do have the enhanced graphical package from Modern Warfare installed from last year.
I bought the $69 version which is called the “Cross gen” version. You got the Xbox One version of the game and the Next gen version once it came out. The standard version on the store right now ($59) is just the Xbox One version.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I thought all games were installed to take advantage of the speed of the SSD.

Disk is only for installs and maybe authentication.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm a rewards member...got that same email this morning around 4:30am. :lol:
:lol:

I'm a very light sleeper so when I let the dogs out at the time I heard my phone and checked my email and decided to click it... didn't expect they would have stock at that time.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

So for those of you with the XSX coming from the One or One X, was it as simple as transferring your games via network transfer from old XB to new XSX?

I guess it's only the games you transfer no need to worry about game saves since they are stored on the cloud?

I already have my XB1X sold, so after the games transfer I guess just factory reset it along with the external HD I have attached to it? (the external SSD was sold with it)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 pm
So for those of you with the XSX coming from the One or One X, was it as simple as transferring your games via network transfer from old XB to new XSX?

I guess it's only the games you transfer no need to worry about game saves since they are stored on the cloud?

I already have my XB1X sold, so after the games transfer I guess just factory reset it along with the external HD I have attached to it? (the external SSD was sold with it)
You can use Network Transfer or local transfer from the external HD. I put everything from my local storage from my old Xbox to the external drive and it was MUCH faster than a network transfer. So if you have the space, just transfer all the games to your external drive and then copy them to the Series X when you get it.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 pm
MizzouRah wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 pm

You can use Network Transfer or local transfer from the external HD. I put everything from my local storage from my old Xbox to the external drive and it was MUCH faster than a network transfer. So if you have the space, just transfer all the games to your external drive and then copy them to the Series X when you get it.
This is exactly what I did a couple months ago when I got a good deal on a 5tb ext hard drive. I will be ready when I get my series x in 2022 :D

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks! I believe all my games are already installed on my external ssd so I'll just plug that into the XSX and download.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

My stepbrother landed one and I'll pick it up today. If I don't have an external HD, how can I get stuff from the XBOX One to the new one? Hook both up and transfer via Wifi?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 pm
My stepbrother landed one and I'll pick it up today. If I don't have an external HD, how can I get stuff from the XBOX One to the new one? Hook both up and transfer via Wifi?
Yes.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Until last night, my Xbox Series X has performed flawlessly. Last night I was browsing the Microsoft Store after about 3 hours of gaming on it and about halfway through scrolling the Black Friday sale section, the Xbox completely shut down. Oddly my controller didn't fully shut off. Fast forward to my lunch hour, I fired up Cold War and halfway through the 2nd game, it started lagging pretty bad then all of a sudden, the whole system shuts down again. At this point I am a bit concerned. I had a few minutes left of my lunch hour so I started up the Xbox and played Tetris Connected and it played fine. Still, being quite concerned, I start investigating on the web, and it seems to be a common occurrence after a console update was sent out on Friday. Hopefully Microsoft is aware and a fix gets pushed out ASAP.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

AcemanPR wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:40 pm
Until last night, my Xbox Series X has performed flawlessly. Last night I was browsing the Microsoft Store after about 3 hours of gaming on it and about halfway through scrolling the Black Friday sale section, the Xbox completely shut down. Oddly my controller didn't fully shut off. Fast forward to my lunch hour, I fired up Cold War and halfway through the 2nd game, it started lagging pretty bad then all of a sudden, the whole system shuts down again. At this point I am a bit concerned. I had a few minutes left of my lunch hour so I started up the Xbox and played Tetris Connected and it played fine. Still, being quite concerned, I start investigating on the web, and it seems to be a common occurrence after a console update was sent out on Friday. Hopefully Microsoft is aware and a fix gets pushed out ASAP.
That’s just a warning from Microsoft letting you know it’s time to upgrade :lol:
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 pm
AcemanPR wrote:
That’s just a warning from Microsoft letting you know it’s time to upgrade :lol:
Series X upgrades to what?

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:19 pm
tjung0831 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 pm
AcemanPR wrote:
Series X upgrades to what?
My reading comprehension is off today. I just assumed he was referring to his one x. I keep forgetting that all you bastards have gotten yours while I haven’t !
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM