Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by fanatic »

What a roller coaster - after 6 hours of searching multiple sites/page refreshing/checkout crashes, I went on Redflagdeals.ca which is a Canadian site dedicated to the latest deals, flyers, etc...They also have a pretty active forum.

As crazy as it sounds, their PS5 thread grew from 0-300 pages today, with everyone updating as they found them. Finally, it seemed as if Amazon.ca was the only retailer not to release any PS5s today. I kept refreshing for about an hour, and couldn't believe my eyes when PS5s became available for a 3 minute period at 4pm.

Arrives Saturday :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

fanatic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:42 pm
What a roller coaster - after 6 hours of searching multiple sites/page refreshing/checkout crashes, I went on Redflagdeals.ca which is a Canadian site dedicated to the latest deals, flyers, etc...They also have a pretty active forum.

As crazy as it sounds, their PS5 thread grew from 0-300 pages today, with everyone updating as they found them. Finally, it seemed as if Amazon.ca was the only retailer not to release any PS5s today. I kept refreshing for about an hour, and couldn't believe my eyes when PS5s became available for a 3 minute period at 4pm.

Awesome! Hoping mine arrives tomorrow.

Enjoy!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

sportdan30 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:47 pm
fanatic wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Awesome! Hoping mine arrives tomorrow.

Enjoy!
Thanks! You too!

What are you planning on grabbing? I'm thinking Miles Morales and Astro Bot will keep me busy for a little while at least. Might wait for Demon Souls to drop in price. There's a good Eurogamer article today about how the Dual Sense really adds immersion while playing WRC9 - so might consider that as well.

I wish Sony was more transparent about which PS4 titles have gotten a significant improvement. I only barely started God of War and have heard it received a nice framerate boost.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

For now, I'm just grabbing the Miles Morales edition and NBA 2K21. Will also play the included Astrobots. Can't wait to try the new controller and haptic feedback.

I bought a 12 month PS Plus memeber for $30 today. So, I'm looking forward to playing God of War, Days Gone, and Ghost of Tsushima. The first two I started but never got very far as there were other titles at the time I wanted to play more. I'm hearing great things about GOT.

I'll also probably wait for sale on Demon Souls, which looks really good.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Got one on Amazon from Amazon themselves about 2 hours ago. I just got the order confirmation. Hopefully that means they actually have the stock and I won’t get an email tomorrow saying it’s out of stock. Says it’ll be delivered Saturday via one day shipping. Anyone know if an order confirmation means it’s locked in?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:53 pm
Got one on Amazon from Amazon themselves about 2 hours ago. I just got the order confirmation. Hopefully that means they actually have the stock and I won’t get an email tomorrow saying it’s out of stock. Says it’ll be delivered Saturday via one day shipping. Anyone know if an order confirmation means it’s locked in?
Should be. Nice going!

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

So if my son wants Madden for the X, am I correct that the best option is to go to bestbuy today and get it for the Xbox One for $35--he can play it now on the new X and then in a month will get whatever "new" X version for free?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MUTTS wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:08 pm
So if my son wants Madden for the X, am I correct that the best option is to go to bestbuy today and get it for the Xbox One for $35--he can play it now on the new X and then in a month will get whatever "new" X version for free?

That’s correct.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Are people going for the $500 Xbox or the $300 one? I don't really buy disks anymore.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:38 pm
Are people going for the $500 Xbox or the $300 one? I don't really buy disks anymore.
For me the $499 Series X is the way to go. For PS5 it would be the $399 all digital option
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fsquid wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:38 pm
Tjung is right. For the Xbox you need the Series X (it's more powerful, higher resolution, etc.). For the PS5, go ahead and save 100 bucks and get the All Digital version as they are exactly the same other than the drive.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

For anyone who's got a PS5 here's a list of current bugs and issues that PS5 users are dealing with:

https://www.androidcentral.com/list-pla ... nch-issues

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

First impressions of the PS5.... wow wow wow!!! This is next gen. I am so impressed. Love the controller and the haptic feedback.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

So, I had a few hours to play this evening. My thoughts.

I have the console laying flat in my entertainment cabinet. Doesn't look too bad.

It's very quiet which is nice compared to the PS4. On par with the Series X from what I can tell.

Astrobots is more than a tech demo. It's a really fun platformer! I did almost rage quit a few times. It's just so colorful and has so much personality that shows off the Playstation history quite well.

The controller is truly next gen. It's indescribable until you actually experience it. I hope developers take advantage of all it has to offer. Love it.

The 4K UI looks very nice. Yeah yeah, it's not a big deal, but it's definitely noticeable. Still getting used to it as it's a little confusing.

You can no longer turn off the PS5 by holding the playstation button. You have to tap it and then scroll all the way to the right. Really dumb.

Played a little over a half hour of Spider-Man. Yep, it's amazing! It's gorgeous in 4K and the 30 fps didn't bother me at all. Didn't try 1080p at 60 fps yet. What a game....AAA title and it absolutely plays like one.

Downloading NBA 2K21 which has 4 hours left..ugh.

Would love a quick resume like the Series X. Hopefully they add it in the future.

Disappointed to hear of all the bugs, but I'm glad it was posted on here.

Overall, an extremely good first impression. I've got a number of games I can play with the addition of PS Plus too.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Looks like you'll be spending more time with the PS5, let me get that Xbox Series X.

:D :) :o :wink:
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:36 am
Looks like you'll be spending more time with the PS5, let me get that Xbox Series X.

I'm shocked he likes the PS5 over the X1X, I mean who saw that coming :D

Joking aside many of my local stores had PS5's available for sale even yesterday so I guessing Sony was able to fill the supply chain a lot better than Microsoft which apparently hasn't clued any retailers in on when they will be sending more.

Anyway I took that money and put it towards something else and went retro with a standing cabinet to play virtual pinball and retro arcade games and older systems, once I finish building it I will create a post here as it is kind of cool.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Ah yeah, I was expecting a little condensending comment from Danimal. Par for the course. :wink: All good Dan.

I'm enjoying both consoles. If I had to pick one however that feels next gen, it's the PS5. It doesn't hurt that there are some great exclusives at launch. Astrobots really impressed me as I just finished it this morning. Kids will have blast with it.

The Xbox is built solidly and the game resume is an excellent feature. I love the controller. It's slightly smaller than the previous gen and I prefer it that way. Game Pass sells itself. I know I just have to be patient with regards to the game lineup. They've invested in so many new studios that it's bound to have an effect.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

:lol: :lol:

I picked the wrong year to quit drinking...

On a serious note. After playing about 5 hours of it today and pushing into England and doing some raiding etc..,AC Valhalla is f***in great. Even on an almost next gen console like the Series X.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Danimal wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:04 am
MizzouRah wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:36 am

I'm shocked he likes the PS5 over the X1X, I mean who saw that coming :D

Joking aside many of my local stores had PS5's available for sale even yesterday so I guessing Sony was able to fill the supply chain a lot better than Microsoft which apparently hasn't clued any retailers in on when they will be sending more.

Anyway I took that money and put it towards something else and went retro with a standing cabinet to play virtual pinball and retro arcade games and older systems, once I finish building it I will create a post here as it is kind of cool.
Still don't care to spend a dime on a next gen console. I could go buy a Series X controller, can stream Gamepass games to my phone and tablet, the UI and store have been updated (and the store is pretty much perfect for me now), I have EA Play in my GamePass now, and I'm playing Dirt 5. I feel like I'm already enjoying a good portion of next gen. I'm much closer to spending money on an Oculus 2 than a console.

I will get a Series X at some point, as the fast switching seems a great feature, since my wife complains every time she has to boot up AC after I've been on the Xbox. But until there is something I can't play on the One X, I'm not going to dive in.

And I don't want a weird ass vagina that is so big it won't fit in my entertainment center for a long time. They need a slim that doesn't look like Krautrock stage set.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XXXIV wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:53 pm

On a serious note. After playing about 5 hours of it today and pushing into England and doing some raiding etc..,AC Valhalla is f***in great. Even on an almost next gen console like the Series X.
My wife is trying to force herself to wait for Xmas for Valhalla. She actually just picked up AC Origins again to finish some stuff. If it was me, I would already be playing.

But I've already got too many games in my rotation right now.

Dirt 5 is pretty amazingly fun.
I'm enjoying Fallen Jedi, now that it is part of EA Play.
I want to spend some time on Deep Rock Galactic, as I think the 4 player co-op looks like a blast.
And SMB3, Madden 21, and NHL 21 are all getting time.

And I need a next gen console to have fun right now? I mean, I would love one, and I am happy for folks that got one and are enjoying the games right now. But I'm not going to go through all the steps needed to get one now, when in a month or two or three, I will walk in and buy one like 90% of gamers will.

Mostly, I'm just excited about my new Tablo DVR. We finally cut the cord all the way, with no streaming cable. I'm going OTA and streaming services like Netflix only. The Tablo connects to your router and antenna, and delivers Live tv and access to recording to any device on the network that has the Tablo app. With Apple TV on Xbox, we just got down to one box under the TV (two if you count the Switch that is sideways and you can't see).

The Xbox now runs 100% of our TV viewing again. I had long ago pulled the TV out of the Xbox, as the pass-through is not 4K. And now, a ton of cable and streaming services just use apps, so MS didn't even need the HDMI In to continue to develop One Guide. Had they continued with One Guide, it would have been where Apple TV is now, and had DVR within it. Don't care about the DVR as much, but I really liked how Apple TV bundles all your streaming options into one interface. The Apple TV app for Xbox does not do this in the same way, so a new One Guide would still be nice.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:53 pm

It's an awesome game for sure.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Aristo wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 pm
I'm much closer to spending money on an Oculus 2 than a console.
For me it is the HP Reverb G2 that is calling.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:45 pm
Aristo wrote:
Ha. Since I can't get my mitts on a Series X due to no supply, I'm diving deep into a new music headphone purchase. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

After roughly 5 hours, finally got NBA 2K21 to install.

Two words. Worth it.

Feels so much better than last gen. No longer do you feel like the animations are taking over. There's so much more control. No sliding as far as I can tell. Huge step up.

I don't know if I'd say the game feels like it was made from the ground up, but there are a number of new animations.

Most of the players looks incredible, while others ehh not so much.

Really like the addtional announcing crew. Hope more sports games implement this.

The overally atmoshpere is more alive and there just seems to be a lot more going on. Lot of energy in the building. The crowd disperses early when the game is out of reach.

Crowd reaction is better.

Game feels realistic. Played against the Bulls with Dallas. Bulls had a difficult time making baskets and just look a level below the Mavs.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 pm
F308GTB wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:45 pm
Aristo wrote:
Ha. Since I can't get my mitts on a Series X due to no supply, I'm diving deep into a new music headphone purchase. :)
My gift to myself about this time last year to couple to my Drop "Sennheiser 580" (love the 580s, but my old pair was falling apart so in come drop.com) - Marantz HD-CD1 player, Marantz HD-DAC1 DAC/headphone amp. Sounds fantastic. My Stax setup in the other room is in need of some listening love. I have too many headphone amps (5?) laying around.