Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:57 pm
wco81 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
I think it's always been the case that the Playstation brand is stronger outside the US than Xbox. Other than US and UK, Xbox isn't as strong.
It is just judging by the amount comments on Eurogamer.net where you'll typically find a 3-1 amount of interest in the Playstation. Although that amount seems to be narrowing but outside the US, the Playstation brand is still king. In the US it's a tight race.
wco81 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
For XSX, the Gaming Pass seems to be the new business model, the Netflix of gaming, with high recurrent subscription revenues.
As the article I linked to said this is where MS could beat Sony because the shift has been towards digital distribution with Sony's help by offering nice discounts on their Playstation Store during their frequent sales. MS has been doing the same but it's all leading to the same outcome, in the next 3-5 yrs most all the games we buy will be via MS/Sony's and Nintendo's stores.

So with Game Pass this is where MS is trying to think 2 steps ahead and establish their mark. Sony can't compete with MS because as PK noted their Playstation division is their most profitable. It's no longer TV's or their Smartphone division. So they rely on selling hardware at either break even or a loss and make it up by selling games.

MS doesn't have that problem because Game Pass is MAKING them money and is fueling XBOX sales. Smart move by MS.
I've seen anecdotes that the preorders of the disc and DE versions are like all disc and maybe 1-3% DE. Apparently Sony isn't allocating too many DE versions to the big chain stores.

So we may not be quite there for all digital.

Certainly Game Pass could change all that. But lately, I've picked up a couple of "greatest hits" games for $15 or less each and they delivered way over that much in entertainment value.

So that's one thing, rather than relying on one digital store for games, you have all these other retail stores often running sales, to bring people in.

But if you like to play the hit games right after they're released, then digital or game pass subscription may be more appealing.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:39 am
For now, though, Sony's strategy seems to be working. In an extremely informal poll on Twitter, an overwhelming number of respondents told me that they would get a PS5 given the choice. Many observed that they could get everything they wanted by buying a PS5 and a gaming PC, rendering the Xbox Series X moot.

As I said biggest scam Sony ever pulled off is convincing lemmings that a Playstation isn't a PC. Good lord people are stupid.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

That's HUGE for Microsoft and the Xbox division. Bethesda puts out some really good games. Now the question becomes will they be exclusive to the Xbox? If it were Sony buying Bethesda you can bet the answer would be NO. Microsoft on the other hand might just allow them to be sold on the Playstation albeit a timed exclusive just to recoup their investment.

And it has been confirmed all the new Bethesda games will be a part of Game Pass on release day.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Microsoft is buying Bethesda, publisher of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Starfield and other acclaimed franchises:

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-bethe ... aquisition

This is a HUGE get for Xbox Game Pass. Many Bethesda games already are on GamePass, but Microsoft has indicated that new titles in each of the above franchises will appear in GamePass from Day One.

Winner-winner, chicken dinner.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Wow, that is a huge get. They are really throwing some money around. It will definitely be interesting how they go forward with this.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JOZ wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 am
Wow, that is a huge get. They are really throwing some money around. It will definitely be interesting how they go forward with this.
This is all about padding the Game Pass subscription and making it even more appealing. Sony has nothing to counter it with.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 am
This is all about padding the Game Pass subscription and making it even more appealing. Sony has nothing to counter it with.
Sure the do, the people who still think Sony cares about gamers and MS is a huge corporation that doesn't despite the evidence to the contrary.

Game Pass is a better system seller than any exclusive in my mind.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Saw this on twitter
To answer the question everyone is asking: Phil Spencer tells
@dinabass that Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm
Rodster wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 am
Sure the do, the people who still think Sony cares about gamers and MS is a huge corporation that doesn't despite the evidence to the contrary.

And this is why competition is good because it brings out NEW ideas. Microsoft was getting crushed by Sony in the early stages of the XONE. They countered with an aggressive compatibility program and Game Pass came about. You tend to think more out of the box when you are behind or as Albert Einstein famously said: "the definition of insanity is trying and doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

Microsoft has a game changer and a winner with Game Pass. Now the question becomes will we see a price increase for Game Pass?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

As I was saying earlier: "Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda is all about Game Pass"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... -game-pass

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've got every pre-order page book marked and and alarm set for 8am PT tomorrow.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 am
Microsoft is buying Bethesda, publisher of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Starfield and other acclaimed franchises:

This is a HUGE get for Xbox Game Pass. Many Bethesda games already are on GamePass, but Microsoft has indicated that new titles in each of the above franchises will appear in GamePass from Day One.

So for someone who only plays sports games like me what is the impact if any?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm
As I was saying earlier: "Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda is all about Game Pass"

Absolutely, and as a fan of some of their shooters I am glad that it will be in the gamepass library.

But again, is this move or any future CO purchases enough to tickle Sony players to move across? With everyone knowing how much the next gen prices are, the answer is no. Notice how there’s no ‘Exclusivity’ wording in the planned purchase. As I said before, I don’t see fans in either side crossing rivers.

It will though, make those players that are starting to play console games their decision easier with gamepass.

With this newer console generation coming up, I would much rather see talks about more cross platforms play, etc and not just between PC and Xbox players.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

10spro wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm
Rodster wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Absolutely, and as a fan of some of their shooters I am glad that it will be in the gamepass library.

But again, is this move or any future CO purchases enough to tickle Sony players to move across? With everyone knowing how much the next gen prices are, the answer is no. Notice how there’s no ‘Exclusivity’ wording in the planned purchase. And as I said before, I don’t see fans in either side crossing rivers.

It will though, make those players that are starting to play console games their decision easier with gamepass.

With this newer console generation coming up, I would much rather see talks about more cross platforms play, etc and not just between PC and Xbox players.
Sorry double tap.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

it's always interesting to see who does what coming into a new generation of consoles.

PS3/XB360 - Sony came in with the hype after the hugely successful PS2 but dropped the ball giving MS the advantage w/ 360. I think it's in agreement that at least in the USA, Xbox 360 was the primary console of that gen.

PS4/XBO - role reversal. MS has the hype and advantage coming in but screwed up royally. MS was ahead of their time w/ digital only but the gamers were not. They managed to piss everyone off especially that that dumb XBOX suit insulting gamers at every step. Sony was smart enough to take advantage of their mishaps EARLY and the rest is history.

Now next gen Sony has the big advantage so let's see how things play out. I get a sense there is more hype in buying PS5 over XBX. Interested to see how it will play out.

I always have said there is a market for a 3rd party in the console wars. A company like Amazon would be primed to get in. Free console with an Amazon prime subscription!!!??? That would blow the competition out of the water if they could manage the business model to make up for the loss of hardware thru online purchases.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:45 pm
Your big announcement came about 10 days ago when Microsoft announced EA Play would be included in the price of GamePass.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:
Notice how there’s no ‘Exclusivity’ wording in the planned purchase.
They said future titles will come to other consoles on a case by case basis. Other consoles could mean the switch. What's amusing is the 2 limited time exclusive titles for the PS5 from Bethesda could be branded with a MS Studios logo now. LOL

You're right people may not want to switch but from a value stand point with Game Pass, which now includes EA Play and the studios MS acquired new releases being day 1 on GP, it's not even comparable.

Imagine this scenario for a parent

Hey Kids here is an Xbox for Christmas you can download hundreds of games and play then right now with new ones coming all the time.

Hey Kids here is a PS5 and some games. Those are $70 a pop so start saving your pennies.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
And Microsoft loves your idea. They have talked about it and ask Sony and Nintendo to include cross platform play. Sony to this day has been cold on the idea and Nintendo to my knowledge and from what I have read has allowed it Minecraft.

But make no mistake, Microsoft is doing what the industry trend is doing i.e. Apple, Amazon, Disney, Netflix. They are all gobbling up IP's to pad their subscription services to entice the buyer to sign up for their subscription services.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:45 pm
pk500 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 am

Well, supposedly MLB the Show will be coming to the Xbox and Switch, however there has been no confirmation it will be this coming Spring.

If you prefer PES over FIFA, the PS5 wins out as you can download the roster and kit files.

Other than that, it's pretty much a wash.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Never got on the game pass train. Don’t you pay a monthly fee ? Is it $10 a month or $15 a month and you get xblive?

Are they keeping the same price for next gen?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm
Never got on the game pass train. Don’t you pay a monthly fee ? Is it $10 a month or $15 a month and you get xblive?

There have been at least 2 occasions where MS has let you upgrade your XBL Gold to Game Pass for $1 and added time to it. Most of us have it until 2021 or 2022, I also constantly look for deals, I found one a few weeks ago 6 months for $39 and bought 4 of them and added them. Otherwise yes Game Pass Ultimate is $14.99 a month.

If you don't pay for Xbox Live then I get it, if you do and didn't upgrade you're not paying attention.

They haven't said anything about a price increase as of yet.
Follow Me on:

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:40 pm
Lancer wrote:

There have been at least 2 occasions where MS has let you upgrade your XBL Gold to Game Pass for $1 and added time to it. Most of us have it until 2021 or 2022, I also constantly look for deals, I found one a few weeks ago 6 months for $39 and bought 4 of them and added them. Otherwise yes Game Pass Ultimate is $14.99 a month.

If you don't pay for Xbox Live then I get it, if you do and didn't upgrade you're not paying attention.

They haven't said anything about a price increase as of yet.
thanks for the info. I had xbl gold for 2 years all at once time as I bought it on sale for $40 each year. And I did the same w/ EA Play. Both of them expire in April of 2021.

I had a 2 week free trail of gamepass like 6 mo ago I used. I did not like many games on it other than PES and a few other sports games. I think if they really want to sell this service next gen why not put all the BC games from 360 along with all the games on XBO. Is that the plan for next gen?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:

It's a monthly fee, yes. I've seen nothing about price increases.

This feels like taking a billy club to a dead pony, but GamePass is EASILY the best value in console or PC gaming. That's not just me talking -- it's the consensus of nearly everyone here.

If you own an Xbox and don't have GamePass, you must really enjoy burning money on new games or have an incredibly small library of games you play. Otherwise, there's no reason not to have it.