Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by sportdan30 »

November 12th

PS5 digital $399

PS5 $499

PlayStation Plus collection added.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At least they are both starting under $500. I was worried. Gonna sit out the PS5 for a bit. Maybe pick up a digital next year once they do the slim redesign like they always do.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With this pricing Sony fans will stay put, enjoy their game exclusives along the added Plus which is nice. MS fans will continue to enjoy Live along the gamepass, but now that everyone knows how much each system costs, I don’t see many people crossing over the river. Either way.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:02 pm
With this pricing Sony fans will stay put, enjoy their game exclusives along the added Plus which is nice. MS fans will continue to enjoy Live along the gamepass, but now that everyone knows how much each system costs, I don’t see many people crossing over the river. Either way.
Yep. There aren't too many "swing voters" in console gaming. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

If you've been at "this" a long time (and we all have!), I can't imagine $50 (or even $100) would be enough to bail for the other system. Now, 'parents deciding what to buy their kids at xmas' is a whole other matter (my parents DEF would be buying the cheapest of the cheapest option regardless of what I would have preferred!).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I watched the reveal and was glad to see the price come in at $499/$399. The vast majority of trailers they showed were “meh” - at least for my taste. Not bad by any stretch but just the same genre specific stuff they always seem to show...which come from genres I am not a frequent visitor to. I am a sports gamer and military shooter guy. I will play the occasional Action RPG (Uncharted, RDR2, GOW). The Spider-Man gameplay they showed was impressive. That being said it was not any more impressive than the original that has been out for years. For me, the entire “showcase” could have been summed up in 15 seconds with the splash screen of both versions of the PS5 with their prices. I believe I am officially tired of the Next Gen lead up hype. Maybe MS or Sony will drop a bomb announcing a brand new IP that shocks but I doubt it. All the cards seem to be on the table. Let’s get to the launch.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm
November 12th

PS5 digital $399

PS5 $499

They giveth and they taketh away. Some PS5 games will clock in at $70. Someone's got to pay for that lower PS5 price. :lol:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/at-le ... 0-6482278/

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm
November 12th

PS5 digital $399

PS5 $499

They giveth and they taketh away. Some PS5 games will clock in at $70. Someone's got to pay for that lower PS5 price. :lol:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/at-le ... 0-6482278/
Only $90 here in Canada!

This makes moving to Xbox and Game Pass even more appealing.

Also just realized I can play Miles Morales and Horizon 2 on my PS4 Pro.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Stores are already taking pre-orders for the PS5. As suspected, all sold out.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 pm
It’s a s*** show. They weren’t supposed to start up and things went badly.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 pm
It’s a s*** show. They weren’t supposed to start up and things went badly.
It's pretty crappy Sony wasn't clear when pre-orders would start. Having time to digest everything, the only game worth playing from the outset is Spiderman. Not a Demon Souls fan, but can understand the hype for that game. Seems Microsoft has been clear with how pre-orders would work. May try and snag one possibly.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-t ... reddit.com

I most likely would have gotten it anyway, but this cinches it.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Bill Harris pretty much sums up my attitude toward this whole upcoming generation of consoles.

Is it a crotchety old man position? It is.

Is it demonstrably fair given the evidence from both companies? Yes.

Anyway, Bill's list of accurate launch day titles:
Square Enix Presents Crystals Fighting Crystals: Gibberish Unbound.
[Character quote for box, also inaccurate: "My hair will look realistic if it's the last thing I do."
Spiderman: You Know The Drill
Asshole J.K. Rowling Exhausts Her Only Good Idea
Black Ops: Shooter Oatmeal VII
Capcom Presents Resident Evil VII: Village. At Least It's Marginally More Interesting Than The Rest of This s***.
Devil May Die of Boredom V
Oddworld Soulstorm: It Wasn't Easy, But We Made It Look Dull
Demon's Souls: Different, We Swear
Deathloop: We Took An Interesting Idea And Did Nothing Interesting With It
God Of War Ragnarok: Hey, I Look Like A Viking now
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

RobVarak wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:51 am
Bill Harris pretty much sums up my attitude toward this whole upcoming generation of consoles.

Is it a crotchety old man position? It is.

Is it demonstrably fair given the evidence from both companies? Yes.

Anyway, Bill's list of accurate launch day titles:
Square Enix Presents Crystals Fighting Crystals: Gibberish Unbound.
[Character quote for box, also inaccurate: "My hair will look realistic if it's the last thing I do."
Spiderman: You Know The Drill
Asshole J.K. Rowling Exhausts Her Only Good Idea
Black Ops: Shooter Oatmeal VII
Capcom Presents Resident Evil VII: Village. At Least It's Marginally More Interesting Than The Rest of This s***.
Devil May Die of Boredom V
Oddworld Soulstorm: It Wasn't Easy, But We Made It Look Dull
Demon's Souls: Different, We Swear
Deathloop: We Took An Interesting Idea And Did Nothing Interesting With It
God Of War Ragnarok: Hey, I Look Like A Viking now
What launch day lineup has ever been good?

Key is what's coming the rest of the year. We know there will be NBA2K, Madden, Fifa for next gen. Maybe NHL too?

Looks like COD and Assassins Creed are also suppose to come out this year.

But you're suppose to be able to play at least some of the last gen. games at enhanced levels?

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I use my console (nearly) everyday. My general rule of thumb is that "if it's something I use all the time, I want the best version of it". Can't wait!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

WCO makes a good point. Other than Halo and Project Gotham, the Xbox's original launch lineup was lukewarm.

The 360 launch lineup sucked, with Amped 3 and Project Gotham 3 as really the only interesting exclusives. The Xbox One had Forza 5 and Ryse as exclusives at launch. Yawn.

Interesting look back at the Microsoft launch titles, which are a lot sh*ttier than I remember. :) https://www.gamegrin.com/articles/looki ... ch-titles/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:08 pm
WCO makes a good point. Other than Halo and Project Gotham, the Xbox's original launch lineup was lukewarm.

The 360 launch lineup sucked, with Amped 3 and Project Gotham 3 as really the only interesting exclusives. The Xbox One had Forza 5 and Ryse as exclusives at launch. Yawn.

Interesting look back at the Microsoft launch titles, which are a lot sh*ttier than I remember. :) https://www.gamegrin.com/articles/looki ... ch-titles/
Oh man, I played a TON of Kameo because all the "good games" were sold out at my best and I wanted to play something "next gen". Dreamcast had the best launch day lineup.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Absolutely on Dreamcast, Gregg. That launch lineup was KILLER. But you could say that about nearly all of the exclusives and funky SEGA titles for the life of that system. I still had more pure fun on the DC than any console I've played.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm mostly just looking forward to the graphical and speed upgrades on current games (specifically PGA 2k21, FIFA 21 and NBA 2k21). Anything that comes out after that is gravy.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Xbox Series X pre-orders open Sept. 22 at 11 a.m. EDT

Microsoft will open pre-orders for its next-generation consoles on Tuesday, Sept. 22 at 8 a.m. PDT/11 a.m. EDT. Those interested in buying the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles can order from Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Costco, Sam’s Club, GameStop, Newegg, Walmart, and Army and Airforce Exchange Service.
https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/17/21444 ... nouncement
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Here's an article on the contrasting strategy between Sony and Microsoft and I agree.

"The Recent PlayStation 5 Showcase Showed How Much Sony is Relying On the Past. While Sony plays its greatest hits, Xbox is setting itself up for the future."

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/todays ... n-the-past

For now, though, Sony's strategy seems to be working. In an extremely informal poll on Twitter, an overwhelming number of respondents told me that they would get a PS5 given the choice. Many observed that they could get everything they wanted by buying a PS5 and a gaming PC, rendering the Xbox Series X moot. The PS5 also seems to be benefiting from Sony's track record, giving it a sense of glamour that the Xbox currently lacks.

In the long run, I think Microsoft's willingness to look to the future will pay off. Xbox Game Pass is already proving to be a winning service on Xbox One, and Sony's only response is the decidedly lackluster PlayStation Now. Between Game Pass, xCloud, and an increasingly strong collection of first-party studios, Microsoft seems set for the future.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Important fact: Microsoft has the cash reserves to play the long game. Plus gaming isn't even close to its largest division, as Microsoft makes most of its money from cloud computing, operating systems and productivity and business software.

Sony relies more and more on the revenue from its gaming division as the phone has replaced devices like the Walkman, Discman and other personal portable devices with which Sony made a killing. So, Sony doesn't have the cash or multiple other divisions generating most of its income that would allow it to take a longer view.

There's also one other fact to consider: Sony whipped Microsoft in global sales in this current console generation. So, Microsoft must pivot to try and gain an advantage over its rivals. Smart management in Seattle, as MS banging its head against the same brick wall for this upcoming generation probably would result in even more brain matter in a puddle on the floor.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:22 am

There's also one other fact to consider: Sony whipped Microsoft in global sales in this current console generation. So, Microsoft must pivot to try and gain an advantage over its rivals. Smart management in Seattle, as MS banging its head against the same brick wall for this upcoming generation probably would result in even more brain matter in a puddle on the floor.
I think it's always been the case that the Playstation brand is stronger outside the US than Xbox. Other than US and UK, Xbox isn't as strong.

In fact it's probably in third place after Sony and Nintendo, who are 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 in most countries.

For one thing Sony has longstanding sponsorships of UEFA and F1, which gives them a strong position in Europe.

Sony is more dependent on the gaming division for profits. MS certainly has more resources but they may consider gaming as only like the third, fourth or fifth most important business. For Xbox One, they thought following the relative success of X360 and Kinect, it would launch them to dominate entertainment, especially fusing it with TV. They were right that streaming services would become huge -- the value of Netflix has shot up into the stratosphere and you see all these other giants like Disney, Apple, AT&T, Comcast-Universal, etc. all rush in with their own streaming service. It's just that Kinect 2 and Xbox 1 didn't turn out to be the gateway to this streaming dominance.

But they were telling the media they could see hundreds of millions of Xbox Ones sold in this generation. I don't know if there's one streaming device which has sold that many. Rokus are popular and cheap but there seem to be several popular streaming devices.

For XSX, the Gaming Pass seems to be the new business model, the Netflix of gaming, with high recurrent subscription revenues.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

With trading in my Xbox one X and my PS4 , I can get both systems for $575 plus tax. I think that’s what I’m gonna do.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
I think it's always been the case that the Playstation brand is stronger outside the US than Xbox. Other than US and UK, Xbox isn't as strong.
It is just judging by the amount comments on Eurogamer.net where you'll typically find a 3-1 amount of interest in the Playstation. Although that amount seems to be narrowing but outside the US, the Playstation brand is still king. In the US it's a tight race.
wco81 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
For XSX, the Gaming Pass seems to be the new business model, the Netflix of gaming, with high recurrent subscription revenues.
As the article I linked to said this is where MS could beat Sony because the shift has been towards digital distribution with Sony's help by offering nice discounts on their Playstation Store during their frequent sales. MS has been doing the same but it's all leading to the same outcome, in the next 3-5 yrs most all the games we buy will be via MS/Sony's and Nintendo's stores.

So with Game Pass this is where MS is trying to think 2 steps ahead and establish their mark. Sony can't compete with MS because as PK noted their Playstation division is their most profitable. It's no longer TV's or their Smartphone division. So they rely on selling hardware at either break even or a loss and make it up by selling games.

MS doesn't have that problem because Game Pass is MAKING them money and is fueling XBOX sales. Smart move by MS.