Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:38 pm
DChaps wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:19 pm
I have very little interest in Project Cars 3, as Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 still give me good console fun for simcade with no musss no fuss. That being said, I could see myself break down if good reviews start coming in from people I trust, but I have just too many good racing games (F1 2020, TT Isle of Man 2, Dirt 2, iRacing, Automobilista 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, etc.) that I have not enough time for as it is. Project Cars 3 just seems like a strange rush job.
I can't say if PC3 was a rush job but it was a questionable choice given Codemasters lukewarm reception of their GRID series.
I was one of those racing gamers who was VERY skeptical of GRID after playing the lousy demo. But the retail version, with some good controller settings I found on Reddit, is about the most simcade fun I've had with a racing game since Project Gotham 2.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

You have had a JOURNEY with that game, PK!

Maybe I'll give it a try the next time it hits $10 or so, or even better if it gets in a Humble Bundle on PC.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:12 pm
I was one of those racing gamers who was VERY skeptical of GRID after playing the lousy demo. But the retail version, with some good controller settings I found on Reddit, is about the most simcade fun I've had with a racing game since Project Gotham 2.
And I also bought it when it was on sale. It's a fun game but the product is decent and there are too many of those types. When I bought it (Ultimate Edition) for $18. I can't remember but the game was only out for less than 6 months? That typically says lukewarm sales.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I seem to be tripping over a lot of Project Cars 3 videos from people telling me what it isn't. By this point, it's not really news to any of us that it isn't a hard-core simulation and that when Slightly Mad insisted you could scale it up to become one, they were - the shock! The horror! - lying through their teeth.

Here, Super GT does the best job I've seen so far on YouTube of explaining how PC3 feels without appearing to be on the kind of drugs I wouldn't know how to access:

https://youtu.be/jngcOv9F6mA

I am not disinterested in the game he describes. If it's even remotely like the criminally underrated DriveClub, I could have plenty of fun with it, ideally during a sale that takes place after I've finished Grid, Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

There is actually a pretty good version of what Project Cars 3 should have been. It's called Automobilista 2! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:11 pm
There is actually a pretty good version of what Project Cars 3 should have been. It's called Automobilista 2! :)
It is and it's on sale right now for $30. The only off putting thing about AM2 is the crazy money they want for their Season Pass $99, i'll pass but i've had a lot of fun with the Brazilian Stock Cars.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm
I am not disinterested in the game he describes. If it's even remotely like the criminally underrated DriveClub, I could have plenty of fun with it, ideally during a sale that takes place after I've finished Grid, Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7.
Hear, hear. Agree. I'm not disinterested in Project Cars 3, but I know I don't want to pay full price for it.

I already own Forza 7, Forza Horizon and GRID. And damned if GRID -- with XB1 controller settings I found on Reddit -- isn't the most fun I've had with a simcade racing game since Project Gotham Racing 2. The driving model is just sublime, filled with luridly controlled slides without feeling like Tokyo Drift, and you can stand on the brakes without spinning.

But yeah, PC3 will end up on my hard drive at some point, either as a sale or Games with Gold title.

P.S.: Is it just me, but has Project Cars gotten uglier with each title, compared to the graphics standard when it was released? I thought PC 1 was a gorgeous game. PC 2 seemed to be a bit of a downgrade, and the graphics of PC 3 are less than impressive in videos I've watched, especially the car models.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wanted a new racing game after watching all the PC3 stuff...and ultimately decided it was trash. LOL. So picked up Assetto Corsa Automobisldidinweon and the two expansion packs for like 45 bucks and wow...even with the controller (and no tweaking), the game is a blast to drive. Especially the slower GT4 cars. No idea what handling model is the best out of all of the games that depict driving, but ACM seems like it's right up there with the best of them.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:55 am
.... So picked up Assetto Corsa Automobisldidinweon and the two expansion packs for like 45 bucks and wow...even with the controller (and no tweaking), the game is a blast to drive. Especially the slower GT4 cars. No idea what handling model is the best out of all of the games that depict driving, but ACM seems like it's right up there with the best of them.
So Scott, what exactly did you end up picking up? :) The original Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, or Automobilista 1 or 2? Console or PC? Just curious as I am currently trying to setup Assetto Corsa Competizione on PC with triple monitors and I am having a hell of a time. Automobilista 2 picked up 3 monitors no problem and did not even require NVIDIA Surround. Glad your enjoying whatever game it is!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DChaps wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:58 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:55 am
.... So picked up Assetto Corsa Automobisldidinweon and the two expansion packs for like 45 bucks and wow...even with the controller (and no tweaking), the game is a blast to drive. Especially the slower GT4 cars. No idea what handling model is the best out of all of the games that depict driving, but ACM seems like it's right up there with the best of them.
So Scott, what exactly did you end up picking up? :) The original Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, or Automobilista 1 or 2? Console or PC? Just curious as I am currently trying to setup Assetto Corsa Competizione on PC with triple monitors and I am having a hell of a time. Automobilista 2 picked up 3 monitors no problem and did not even require NVIDIA Surround. Glad your enjoying whatever game it is!
LOL...Assetto Corsa Competizione is what I got. Only have one 34" widescreen so haven't ventured into the triple monitor setup yet. I just forgot how to spell the name so just put a bunch of gibberish.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New Tony Stewart dirt racing game dropping this Friday, with Late Models, Big Block Modifieds and Legends cars. $30, with a promised new physics engine, which is needed: https://www.operationsports.com/tony-st ... gine-more/

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:37 pm
New Tony Stewart dirt racing game dropping this Friday, with Late Models, Big Block Modifieds and Legends cars. $30, with a promised new physics engine, which is needed: https://www.operationsports.com/tony-st ... gine-more/
I'd be curious to hear impressions of this one. Hard to see the new physics from the videos I watched, and because it's Monster, I'm wondering how different from the last release it really is.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

webdanzer wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:09 pm
pk500 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:37 pm
I'd be curious to hear impressions of this one. Hard to see the new physics from the videos I watched, and because it's Monster, I'm wondering how different from the last release it really is.
I'm not buying this. The only addition would be Legends and big-block modifieds, as NASCAR Heat 4 already has late models. Plus the Smoke sprint car game covers sprints and midgets for me.

Plus, like you, Web, I have legitimate doubts that Monster is capable of building a dirt physics engine anything close to the brilliant fun of Ratbag's engine from the Dirt Track Racing and WoO Sprint Car games.

Eager for impressions from anyone who takes the plunge.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

No impressions from me, PK, but I've been looking for some over the last few days. I'm not convinced half the folk uploading videos of the game know which one's their arse and which one's their elbow, but I thought Billy Strange did a nice job with his review:

https://youtu.be/cfdQEW0TsSo
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Dave wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:47 pm
You have had a JOURNEY with that game, PK!

Maybe I'll give it a try the next time it hits $10 or so, or even better if it gets in a Humble Bundle on PC.
GRID ultimate edition was in the Humble Choice Bundle in June.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

GB_Simo wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 pm
No impressions from me, PK, but I've been looking for some over the last few days. I'm not convinced half the folk uploading videos of the game know which one's their arse and which one's their elbow, but I thought Billy Strange did a nice job with his review:

https://youtu.be/cfdQEW0TsSo
Bought it--played it for a handful of races.

Wheel configuration is still a disaster, and you can't get it to feel "right" using any config (even what Billy said in his review by setting the rotation to native like that). The physics engine is FAR better than the Sprint Car game, but the AI still drives right through you, there's still no FOV slider, and it feels very 'meh' to me.

Even at $30, that's too expensive for what amounts to a reskin and a physics change from their prior games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the feedback, Terry. Even before reading this, my interest in this game veered from "mildly curious" to "what game?" in less than a week. Your impressions further sealed that perception.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

WRC 9 is out now and damn what an improvement. It feels like I say it every year with the WRC franchise, but this year it really seems they nailed the arcade/sim aspect nearly perfectly. Not nearly as balls to the wall as DR 2.0, but a lot more accessible. Career mode is more of the same with a little more variation - but the driving model and graphics are where it shines. I need to play more, but if you like rallying and don't need the ultra-realism, WRC 9 is where it's at right now.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm
WRC 9 is out now and damn what an improvement. It feels like I say it every year with the WRC franchise, but this year it really seems they nailed the arcade/sim aspect nearly perfectly. Not nearly as balls to the wall as DR 2.0, but a lot more accessible. Career mode is more of the same with a little more variation - but the driving model and graphics are where it shines. I need to play more, but if you like rallying and don't need the ultra-realism, WRC 9 is where it's at right now.
I was looking for a WRC 9 thread and when didn't see one thought to look here. YES, agreed 100%!

Rally games are some of my favorite games to play and I really missed having good options last generation. I had to import the WRC games as there was nothing published in the US for the 360 and/or PS3. Anyway, this gen has had a boatload of options and every year the WRC games continue to improve. I love the driving model and graphics in DR 2.0, but for total package I have to give the nod to WRC 9. They've added 3 more locations in Kenya, Japan, and New Zealand to an already big list of rallies. The only knock I can put on this game is that the load times are pretty dang long at times. Can't wait to see how it runs on the Series X.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If anyone is looking for an AWESOME little Rally game on the PC...The Art of Rally was just released and it's fantastic. Feels so good, even tho it looks pretty basic. It's an arcade game of course, but it feels really consistent and controlled.

Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIMb6B_-NMM

It's on Steam and Epic for $23.

Right now if you download Rocket League (or at least just press GET) in the Epic game store you get a $10 coupon - so it brings the price of AoR down to 13 bucks. Steal at that price.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/get ... 4568.phtml

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Finally took the plunge on Grid, it is part of a $4 bundle of games on Fanatical along with Dirt 4 and some others I've never heard of.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

A few updates:

-- The shine is off GRID for me. It's still a fun, fine game, with one big problem: The power-sliding handling model is just about the same for every car. The handling feels very similar whether you're driving an F20000-style single-seater or a 1969 Camaro. That's fun, but it makes the game pretty dull after a while. I'm sure I'll reinstall this for fun at some point.

-- I downloaded WRC 8 when it was a Games with Gold title and hated it out of the box because the steering was so damn twitchy with an Xbox controller. I finally got around last night to trying some settings I found on Reddit, and they transformed this game. This game is a BIG improvement over WRC 7 in terms of realistic driving. The biggest difference between WRC 8 and DIRT Rally 2.0 is grip. The tires in WRC 8 seem to actually grip the surface, while the tires in DR 2.0 seem to slid or skim above it. I'm really impressed with WRC 8.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Assetto Corsa Competizione Is free to play this weekend on Xbox One. I can confirm it’s available now. I played it for about 30 minutes & even got in one multiplayer race. The handling seems alright on a controller with settings I found on Reddit, the graphics aren’t very good on my xbox one s.

I just happened to notice the game because I’m up in the middle of the night due to an incredibly painful root canal. The only good thing to come out of it is the awesome painkillers the dentist prescribed.......lol.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

I found the career mode frustrating on WRC 8. I was always short on money & staff, Plus some of the goals were ridiculous, like don’t use soft tires this rally. I enjoyed the game once I found out there are actually 2 ways to play the career mode. You can play with management activities, or just play as the driver without managing anything. The driver career is listed as season play if I remember correctly.

I just can’t seem to stop playing Dirt Rally 2. It’s been in my rotation since last November. I love doing the daily, weekly and monthly rallies. I’m not very good, but man it’s fun.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

WPatrick wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:11 am
Assetto Corsa Competizione Is free to play this weekend on Xbox One. I can confirm it’s available now. I played it for about 30 minutes & even got in one multiplayer race. The handling seems alright on a controller with settings I found on Reddit, the graphics aren’t very good on my xbox one s.

I just happened to notice the game because I’m up in the middle of the night due to an incredibly painful root canal. The only good thing to come out of it is the awesome painkillers the dentist prescribed.......lol.
I feel for ya man. I have two teeth that require root canals. decay removal and crowns although one tooth generates low pain and the other I have no pain. $5000 later and I feel like i'm being mugged by my Dentist and that price is supposedly with insurance. :)