MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2019. Playball!

Post by RobVarak »

Good work, Nats. Damn good work. Enjoy your time off.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:
Rodster wrote: Yeah Harper is great but you know he’s got to be pissed watching his former team advanced to the NLCS.
He could care less and has 330 million reasons why. :P
I'm sure he would have loved to postpone possibly and even bigger payday after going to the WS. No doubt Harper is breaking things with a baseball bat right about now. At least he probably won't get booed anymore in DC. :lol:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Listening to a podcast.

They're going to talk to someone about a theory that they're not using the same juiced balls in the postseason that they were using during the regular season.

So why would they do that? It would disadvantage the Indians, Yankees, Astros and Dodgers.

Actually the only two playoffs teams which were outside the top 10 teams in total HRs are Washington at #13 with 231 HRs and Cardinals at #24 with 210 HRs.

The WC teams were the A's at #5 and Brewers at #7.

Certainly the HRs helped teams get to the playoffs. But already Indians and Dodgers have been knocked out, two of the top teams in HRs.

Of course the best pitchers are pitching more innings in a series than they would over a 4-7 game stretch in the regular season.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Congratulations to the Washington fans, that was a straight out ASS WHOOPIN!!!

Bye to Ozuna, and please do something with Fowler like give him away even if it means adding a prospect.

Bring up Dylan Carlson and Lane Thomas, you could have Carlson/Bader/Thomas. Gorman isn't ready yet, but he's our future at 3B.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:Listening to a podcast.

They're going to talk to someone about a theory that they're not using the same juiced balls in the postseason that they were using during the regular season.
The balls are different. The data on that is clear. The theories are regarding whether it's intentional or simply a fluctuation in the quality of the baseballs. Either way there are some serious issues at play.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a weird and exciting WS. Who would have thought Nats would make the ultimate comeback once they were down 2-3 and facing elimination in HOU? A resilient team, good pitching and key hitting. Strasbourg was key yesterday going almost the distance, Scherzer and even Greinke were good tonight despite having a losing record in his past five appearances.

Only one victory combined for the Stros between Greinke, Verlander and G. Cole. Hard to think WAS barely made it past the wild card series and here they are now. Champs.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Houston was suppose to be one of the best teams in half a century by some metrics.

So were the Dodgers for that matter.

They're going to have to pay Cole and Correa.

Otherwise, massive underachievement if they only win 1 WS after amassing all this talent.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I enjoyed the series, even if it wasn't the most dramatic, largely because I like both of the teams involved. So happy for those old, hardcore DC baseball fans who weathered years without a team. Tom Boswell has one of the game's great writers (and boosters) for decades, and guys like him who championed DC baseball for decades deserve to really bask in this win.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

So happy for the Washington Nationals and their fans!!! First World Series... reminds me of another team.... hmmmm... oh yeah the Blues. :)
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Game 7 winning pitcher Patrick Corbin, graduate of Cicero-North Syracuse High and proud native of Clay, New York -- both about 25 minutes from my house!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It's absolutely crazy how nuts this place is for the Texans and Astros (and Rockets, really). During every playoff game, I can just open my back door and listen for the shouts and hoots from any random house party on my block. I have a green belt behind me, so you hear that "distant partying" going on on the breeze with every score or big hit.

I went to the Raiders @ Texans game this past weekend, and the crowd instantly turned from Texans cheering to "LET'S GO ASTROS <clap clap clap clap clap>!!!" chant leaving the stadium. Everybody you run into had Astros or Texans gear on. Random people ask you in the grocery store what your prediction is, and starts talking about Cole or Verlander or Altuve, etc.

Last night? Deathly silent. It was like a scene from Night of the Comet. I couldn't hear a THING outside as I watched the wheels fall off, and this morning everybody looks like they didn't sleep at all.

Not sure whether to call for a suicide watch on the whole area, but this was a brutal series loss and lost opportunity.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:So happy for the Washington Nationals and their fans!!! First World Series... reminds me of another team.... hmmmm... oh yeah the Blues. :)
I see the similarities. Worst teams half way thru the season, Blues at least get Berube to change the room while Martinez stays. Then the resiliency appears in key games during the playoffs. Great win for both teams.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MizzouRah wrote:So happy for the Washington Nationals and their fans!!! First World Series... reminds me of another team.... hmmmm... oh yeah the Blues. :)
Bull's-eye on that analogy!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Can’t say I’m the biggest Nats fan, but. . . Went to the first ever Nats game at RFK Stadium with my parents, and also went to the first ever Nats game at the proper Nats stadium with my Dad (Ryan Zimmerman hit a walk-off homer to beat the Braves in a weird, one-game series to inaugurate the stadium). My sister and brother-in-law have a 15-game Sunday plan, and for my aging Father, well, he can’t watch the Nats anymore because it’s too stressful and they always find a way to fail.

For a team that has lost in the first round of the playoffs so often, and after so many better seasons, and in such awful ways, to then turn around and have what is by many measures likely the most improbable, come-from-behind season / wildcard game / game 4-5 / World Series win, is really amazing. The sweep of the Cards is the only outlier! Behind in the 7th or 8th in every elimination game, on the road in game 5 and game 7 - crazy. And for the fans who go to games and have seen so many game 5 failures at home, to have the first World Series games in Washington since 1933 and LOSE ALL THREE! Wow.

Sadly, I couldn’t make myself get up at 2:00AM here in Germany, or even 1AM once we went off of summer time last week, to watch the games live. I really wanted to for game 7, but it would have been an awful idea. So I was reduced to looking at the scores all playoffs when I woke up in the morning, usually less than an hour after the game ended, and waiting for the Condensed Game version to appear on my sports app, but it was still a thrilling ride.

I hope they have a great parade down Constitution Ave. tomorrow.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2020. Playball!

Post by 10spro »

Good for the league and the Astros organization for throwing the book at cheaters. Both Hinch and Luhnow were fired even the GM tried to denied any knowledge of sign stealing. When rumors spread as a GM, you should stay the ship amid the waves coming at you.

And a city that’s not immune to cheating, A. Cora manager of the Bosox, seems to be the next victim as rumors say that he even perfected the art of sign stealing particularly in 2018 when they won the WS.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Good for the league and the Astros organization for throwing the book at cheaters. Both Hinch and Luhnow were fired even the GM tried to denied any knowledge of sign stealing. When rumors spread as a GM, you should stay the ship amid the waves coming at you.

And a city that’s not immune to cheating, A. Cora manager of the Bosox, seems to be the next victim as rumors say that he even perfected the art of sign stealing particularly in 2018 when they won the WS.
Perhaps I’ve said it before but I played against Cora in the minors. Wasn’t a fan. If they cheated let em burn.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Was it the BoSox who made the headlines about stealing signs with Apple watches?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

51 Giants were stealing signs for the last month plus and everyone knew it.

Where is the justice?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:51 Giants were stealing signs for the last month plus and everyone knew it.

Where is the justice?
Those bastards!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Was it the BoSox who made the headlines about stealing signs with Apple watches?
Yes. That's why it's especially bad for them since they were already warned.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:51 Giants were stealing signs for the last month plus and everyone knew it.

Where is the justice?
Those bastards!
Bastards indeed. They had a telescope and knew how to use it.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/29/51-giants ... ng-scheme/

It was Franks, armed with a military field scope, who allegedly ran the Giants’ sign-stealing operation from the team clubhouse in center field of the old Polo Grounds.

Franks relayed the stolen signs using a buzzer system between the clubhouse and nearby bullpen to backup catcher Sal Yvars who then tipped off Giant hitters.

The mlb thingy told the Dodgers not to comment on Astros sign stealing. Does that also apply to any living members of the 51 Dodgers who were also f***ed by sign stealing?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Good for the league and the Astros organization for throwing the book at cheaters. Both Hinch and Luhnow were fired even the GM tried to denied any knowledge of sign stealing. When rumors spread as a GM, you should stay the ship amid the waves coming at you.

Perhaps I’ve said it before but I played against Cora in the minors. Wasn’t a fan. If they cheated let em burn.
Cora’s gone according to news reports.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

Cora’s gone according to news reports.
It’s best for both parties. Still, the league will come down hard on him once all the facts are gathered including his years as Astros manager.

In other news, J. Donaldson finds a new home in Minny signing a four year deal. If he can stay injury free and contribute as much as he did in ATL he will be a good voice for this young team.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Cora was the bench coach with the Astros and then became the Red Sox manager and brought over the cheating. This is the most talk of the Red Sox off-season all winter and they are trying to trade an MVP winner in Mookie Betts. That is how far the Red Sox have dropped in interest in this city.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Power move by Manfred. Handled this situation with decisiveness, authority and integrity, at least from this outsider's perspective.

Can you imagine the owner pandering and dilly-dallying Selig would have done in this situation if he was still commish? Baseball fans should shudder at the thought.