DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I'll be watching that DAZN feed as well in a glorious low res feed. Here's hoping AJ and Wilder could get down to business and fight in MSG.
Won't happen in 2019 and probably not in 2020.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I gotta say so far from what i've seen in the fight AJ is not as good as advertised. He doesn't want to go against Wilder. No way should the Lazy Neighbor drop AJ twice to the canvas.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So PK, were you shocked Ruiz TKO'd Joshua? I was reading what Ruiz said about him, that he opens to much which is something I believe I might have mentioned. I don't think Joshua will win the rematch not if he has the same trainer which what Lennox Lewis said after the fight. He needs to change his style a bit, like move your feet and get out of the way.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:So PK, were you shocked Ruiz TKO'd Joshua? I was reading what Ruiz said about him, that he opens to much which is something I believe I might have mentioned. I don't think Joshua will win the rematch not if he has the same trainer which what Lennox Lewis said after the fight. He needs to change his style a bit, like move your feet and get out of the way.
Surprised? Of course. Shocked? That's a bit strong.

Ruiz was a live dog. He has strong amateur pedigree, which Joshua doesn't have. He has quick feet and hands, which Joshua doesn't have. His only loss also came in New Zealand to Kiwi contender Joseph Parker in a close, controversial decision.

Rob McCracken has been Joshua's trainer since his amateur days, so it will be interesting to see if AJ sticks with him after this loss or moves to a new coach.

If Emanuel Steward was still alive, he would be the ideal guy to rehabilitate AJ after a crushing KO loss, much like he did to Wladimir Klitschko after his KO losses to Corie Sanders and Lamon Brewster. Manny would have taught AJ how to use his jab and his height as weapons, holding off smaller men, protecting his fragile chin and setting up big shots.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:So PK, were you shocked Ruiz TKO'd Joshua? I was reading what Ruiz said about him, that he opens to much which is something I believe I might have mentioned. I don't think Joshua will win the rematch not if he has the same trainer which what Lennox Lewis said after the fight. He needs to change his style a bit, like move your feet and get out of the way.
Surprised? Of course. Shocked? That's a bit strong.

Ruiz was a live dog. He has strong amateur pedigree, which Joshua doesn't have. He has quick feet and hands, which Joshua doesn't have. His only loss also came in New Zealand to Kiwi contender Joseph Parker in a close, controversial decision.

Rob McCracken has been Joshua's trainer since his amateur days, so it will be interesting to see if AJ sticks with him after this loss or moves to a new coach.

If Emanuel Steward was still alive, he would be the ideal guy to rehabilitate AJ after a crushing KO loss, much like he did to Wladimir Klitschko after his KO losses to Corie Sanders and Lamon Brewster. Manny would have taught AJ how to use his jab and his height as weapons, holding off smaller men, protecting his fragile chin and setting up big shots.
There was another boxer that Emanuel Stewart resurrected. Was it perhaps Lennox Lewis?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:There was another boxer that Emanuel Stewart resurrected. Was it perhaps Lennox Lewis?
Yes, Lennox Lewis. Before that, Manny had trained numerous world champions from his Kronk Gym in Detroit, most notably Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

"Legendary boxer Pernell Whitaker dies at 55 after being hit by vehicle in Virginia"

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/l ... -virginia/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:"Legendary boxer Pernell Whitaker dies at 55 after being hit by vehicle in Virginia"

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/l ... -virginia/
This news really bums me out. I loved watching Whitaker fight, as he was one of the best defensive fighters in history and arguably one of the top-10 pound-for-pound fighters EVER. If you think Floyd Mayweather was good and had defense, watch Sweet Pea. He made Money look clumsy.

I also had the pleasure of sitting at the same table as Whitaker at a sports talk show in New York in the mid-80s. He was a cool guy with whom to talk. Dude had plenty of demons outside of the ring, including cocaine abuse. It's sad that he probably only found peace now.

RIP, Sweet Pea.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sweet Pea was a helluva a fighter. One of those that casual fans didn’t particularly like to watch because he wasn’t a KO artist. Fans of the sweet science thoroughly enjoyed watching him practice his craft. Man could he school fighters. RIP Sweet Pea.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Pacman or Thurman? PK, who you got in this fight?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Pacman or Thurman? PK, who you got in this fight?
Pacquiao by narrow UD or SD.

Thurman looked like crap in his last fight, against Josesito Lopez, who isn't that good. Sure, he was rusty, but that's because the guy fights once per year. His nickname of "One Time" used to pay homage to his power, which is overrated. Get hit once by Thurman, and you go down. Not it more accurately refers to how often Thurman fights per year.

Pacquiao, even at 40, is better than anyone Thurman has fought. Thurman talks a great game, but Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter are his best opponents. Pacquiao is better than both of those guys, even at this advanced age.

The first time Pacquiao cracks Thurman with his left hand, Thurman will run like a scalded cat.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

“Hey, I’d like to check this out. HBO? No. DAZN? No. $75 PPV???? What the hell?” Pass.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thurman got should some good shots in rd 1 but damn Manny is just too fast even at 40 and caught Thurman with a 1-2 and puting him on the canvas.

Rd 2 Manny was more effective. I’m a Manny fan but Thurman is American so if he wins, then good.

PK how does boxing score work? Manny was up 30-26 thru the 1st three rds and the judges had it 10-9 on all three cards thru 3 rds. I thought it should have been 30-27.

Much more effective rd 5 for Thurman. Entertaining final round and fight.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:“Hey, I’d like to check this out. HBO? No. DAZN? No. $75 PPV???? What the hell?” Pass.
Periscope is your friend. My buddy and I found a couple of great feeds -- people had trick phones on tripods and shot their HDTV screen perfectly. No bezel showing -- all screen.

A bit ghetto, but saves a lot of dough for fights like last night, which had a compelling main and terrible undercards. Not worth $80.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Thurman got should some good shots in rd 1 but damn Manny is just too fast even at 40 and caught Thurman with a 1-2 and puting him on the canvas.

Rd 2 Manny was more effective. I’m a Manny fan but Thurman is American so if he wins, then good.

PK how does boxing score work? Manny was up 30-26 thru the 1st three rds and the judges had it 10-9 on all three cards thru 3 rds. I thought it should have been 30-27.

Much more effective rd 5 for Thurman. Entertaining final round and fight.
Round 1 was a 10-8 round for Manny because knocked down Thurman.

If a fighter is knocked down or pummeled badly without a knockdown, he only gets eight points for that round in the 10-point-must system. If a fighter is knocked down twice in one round, it's a 10-7 round.

That's why the two judges who scored the fight properly called it 115-112, Pacquiao. Seven rounds to five for Manny, with one more point deducted from Thurman for the first-round knockdown. That was the correct card, not the 114-113 mistake turned in by Glenn Feldman.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I got a good spanish feed for the fight, which is rare because the english feeds were pretty bad. The AJ v Ruiz fight went to hell for me around the 3rd Rd but this feed was rock solid until the 12th rd but it held together for the most part. I wasn't too impressed with the undercards. Figueroa Jr got his butt kicked by the Cuban fighter, I forget his name. But I remember Figueroa Jr coming into the ring just looking like he'd won the fight. I don't follow boxing that much but the trend is whenever boxers enter the ring like they're Apollo Creed, it usually doesn't end well for them. Just ask Joshua.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK, is the upcoming Canelo v Kovalev fight any good?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK, is the upcoming Canelo v Kovalev fight any good?
Absolutely. One of the most interesting matchups of the year on paper.

Canelo made his name at 154 and 160. He recently stepped up to 168 against some tomato cans. "Krusher" Kovalev is a former champion at 175 with serious power and strength. This is a dangerous step up for Canelo. Light heavies hit harder than he's ever been hit, even by Golovkin. Kovalev killed an opponent in the ring with his power earlier in his career, so this guy is no joke.

But Kovalev is much older and also is very susceptible to body punches. Canelo is one of the best body punchers in the game. If Canelo can get under and around Kovalev's jackhammer jab and get inside, he could crease Kovalev's abdomen and sides.

Fitness also has been an issue for Kovalev in some fights. His training habits can be lax at times, and he is renowned for listening to few trainers. But this fight also probably is the biggest challenge of his career other than his two super-close bouts against the undefeated legend Andre Ward, so I think Krusher will be in shape and ready.

I could easily see this fight stopped in the late rounds, with Kovalev on one knee, grimacing in pain from a lightning bolt hook to the liver from Canelo. But this could be one of the stiffest tests of Canelo's career, and I applaud him for accepting this challenge.

The size difference between these two guys is very real, though. Canelo is about 5-8; Kovalev is 6-0 or 6-1. Look at this photo: https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/c ... stream=top

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I didn’t realize the Ruiz v Joshua fight is Dec 7th. I see AJ losing to Ruiz again unless his style has been totally changed, which he says he’s done. I doubt that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I didn’t realize the Ruiz v Joshua fight is Dec 7th. I see AJ losing to Ruiz again unless his style has been totally changed, which he says he’s done. I doubt that.
Should be a very compelling bout. We'll see if Ruiz got lucky and if AJ really has changed his style to protect his glass jaw, in the same way Manny Steward turned Wladimir Klitschko into a defense-first fighter to protect his thin beard.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This guy predicted Ruiz would beat AJ in the first fight. He now says if AJ changes his style and strategy in the rematch, he'll win the bout. I still say Ruiz will win again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50534700

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:This guy predicted Ruiz would beat AJ in the first fight. He now says if AJ changes his style and strategy in the rematch, he'll win the bout. I still say Ruiz will win again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50534700
AJ has cut some weight and some of his Adonis-like muscles for this fight, hoping the increased quickness will combat Ruiz's edge in foot and hand speed.

There's one problem with that strategy: A guy with a suspect chin like AJ should cut NO muscle in his neck or shoulders if he wants to stay upright. I would imagine trainers today can cut muscle in some places while keeping it in others. If AJ sheds slabs in his neck and shoulders, that jaw could transform from suspect to glass.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Andy Ruiz is trying his best to do his Butterbean impersonation. Instead of losing weight for his fight, he's gained more. He now weighs 283lb, blaming it on breakfast/lunch/dinner. That's bad news for AJ cause it means he's going to hit harder. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I think Andy the Destroyer gained weight just to f*ck with the head of AJ and his camp. They all figured Andy would come in lighter than the first fight, to accentuate his superior hand and foot speed. Instead, he comes in as the second-heaviest fighter defending a heavyweight title, behind only Nikolai Valuev, who weighed 300+ in a few of his defenses in the 2000s but was 7-1, a foot taller than Ruiz.

Still, the successful strategies remain the same for both guys. Joshua MUST use his far greater length to stay away from Ruiz, stick and move. And Ruiz must get inside and make this as messy of a fight as possible, which he did beautifully in the first fight.

Ruiz doesn't need to worry about AJ's punch when he goes inside. Andy took Joshua's biggest punch in the first fight and survived. Now Andy has even more padding (!), and AJ is 10 pounds lighter and will lose a bit of his power.

Fascinating fight. Can't wait. Remember, this fight is (sadly and shamefully) in Saudi Arabia. So the ring walks will start at 3:30 p.m. ET. Not your usual midnight ET start time for Vegas fights.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I didn't get a chance to watch the fight other than read the commentary and watch a couple of Tweeted videos. It looks like AJ did exactly what you said he needed to do in order to win. He used his jab, kept Ruiz at a distance. He moved, sometimes danced a little and every time Ruiz tried to get inside, he clinched. That took away Andy's offense. AJ got hit a couple of times but kudos to his corner for having a good fight plan.

It's too bad it took getting KO'd by Ruiz in the first fight, to get Joshua to change his style.