NBA Live 20 is cancelled

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NBA Live 20 is cancelled

Post by J_Cauthen »

Just read this story on Gamespot: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nba-l ... 0-6470986/. Is anyone that shocked to read this? I'd say they flushed a lot of money down the toilet with it, but maybe they decided it was best to go ahead and cut their losses.

On a positive note for me as a golf game fan, this might free up HB Studios to get back to work on their next installment of TGC. Word is that EA Sports sub-contracted HB Studios in order to help them get NBA Live 20 to market.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Live 20 is cancelled

Post by pk500 »

That's a shame. I thought EA made great strides in the last two years with Live.

Sure, Live wasn't as realistic as NBA 2K. But it was getting in roughly the same area code and was VERY fun to play. Plus it was almost guaranteed to drop early into EA Access. :)

Looks like no new hoop game for me this year. Tried NBA 2K20 over Free Play weekend last weekend, and I just can't get into the 2K series. Player movement remains stuck in the mud, the shooting meter remains a mess, and I don't like how it seems players must complete a pre-ordained chain of animations in certain game situations before executing your chosen action.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Well, that sucks. NBA live was much more fun than the 2K series. But I guess fun runs second to living vicariously through a video game sport these days. Oh well.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was just reading on PastaPadre's site that it looks like NBA Live 21 has been scrapped

https://i.imgur.com/CSJsmdk.jpg

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I don't know how NBA Live fared on recent consoles but my favorite NBA gaming experiences were probably Live on the PS or PS2.

I just picked up 2K20 and man I don't want a learning curve. The controls are so sluggish because they want to do all these pretty animations. I guess it's suppose to be realism or sim but it's not fluid at all. Then I have to hold R2 and L in certain combinations to execute basic dribble moves?

Much prefer controlling with one button on shots or layups. Like be able to release the shot on the way up or down sometimes rather than at the apex, because players actually do that IRL.

I guess I'll dig around a bit more. Wasn't there suppose to be more of an arcade mode with street courts?

Actually I liked NBA Street too. Controls were more responsive there, not as responsive as I'd like but more responsive.

I guess 2K has hot streaks for certain players, since that happens IRL. But that's just an arbitrary random element.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

NBA 2K reminds me a lot of fighting games where there are layers and layers of button combos just to pull off an animation and timing is important. When you by chance pull it off it does looks cool but the problem is timing it so you can do it again and again. That becomes the problem and I did not even download NBA 2K20 on Game Pass. But Live on the current consoles is not that far off from the finger gymnastics of NBA 2K.

The PS, PS2 and OG XBOX were definitely simpler times.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I’d strongly disagree with that comparison. I think Live is the shallower game, including games play. But what I liked was that the game would execute the animations based on context. So the game looked cool, even though I’m just playing straight. You can force animations of particular moves and shots, but you don’t have to.

It 100% why playing 5v5 or 3v3 online in Live is about million times more fun and less frustrating than 2K. But the game obviously sold ultra poorly, and that hurt the online. EA should have pushed for cross platform play, which would have helped the online modes by expanding the pool of players.

I can understand how more serious players would prefer 2K, and I wouldn’t buy Live as a sim. But I enjoyed the crap out of Live 19.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Aristo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:17 pm
I can understand how more serious players would prefer 2K, and I wouldn’t buy Live as a sim. But I enjoyed the crap out of Live 19.
Same. Live 19 just harkened back to a simpler time of gaming. It reminded me a lot of NBA Inside Drive 2003 by Microsoft for the OG Xbox. Not a perfect sim by any mark. But solid, responsive, simple controls and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

NBA 2K is a gold-standard franchise, for many reasons. But I never liked the detached feeling from its extensive animation chains, and the shooting mechanism for the last two or three versions of 2K has been horrific. Unintuitive, inconsistent rubbish. Or maybe I just suck. Either way, despised that shooting mechanic to the point where it pretty much ruined the game for me.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

It's funny you say that PK about sports games. It's why I am loving Super Mega Baseball 3. Simple, on-point controls and gameplay make it fun. Hell, I tried my Madden 17 last night for my football fix last night and wasn't feeling it. It wasn't bad by any means, but running just seems off on that game. It always has in my opinion. There is also alot going on. As I played, I just thinking about NFL 2k5. So I played it afterwards and felt right at home. While it does look dated, the controls just feel right to me. Controls I didn't remember just took a second to figure out.

I'm going to have to try Live.