NBA Season 2019/20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Season 2019/20

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:It looks like Boggie is out for the year after tearing his ACL in offseason workouts. Tough break for Cousins who's had multiple injuries the last couple of years.
He might be out for his career after this one. Big man with Achilles' and ACL tears within 18 months? Ouch. Plus while he was well behaved last year with Golden State, I don't know if that's enough for Boogie to shake his problem child reputation.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:It looks like Boggie is out for the year after tearing his ACL in offseason workouts. Tough break for Cousins who's had multiple injuries the last couple of years.
He might be out for his career after this one. Big man with Achilles' and ACL tears within 18 months? Ouch. Plus while he was well behaved last year with Golden State, I don't know if that's enough for Boogie to shake his problem child reputation.
All true and to think how much he would be worth if not for his recent injuries and problem reputation while playing for the Kings? Although he seemed to be somewhat behaved when in New Orleans. He won't get the kind of money he could probably get as a modern day Big in today's NBA. But if he can comeback from his ACL, some desperate team would pay the veteran minimum with a prove it 1 yr contract.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:All true and to think how much he would be worth if not for his recent injuries and problem reputation while playing for the Kings? Although he seemed to be somewhat behaved when in New Orleans. He won't get the kind of money he could probably get as a modern day Big in today's NBA. But if he can comeback from his ACL, some desperate team would pay the veteran minimum with a prove it 1 yr contract.
Apparently you're forgetting that last year was a 1 year prove it contract...and all he was able to muster was another 1 year. So clearly no one is going to sign Boogie to a long term deal anymore. He's going to be signing small deals for what's left of his career.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:All true and to think how much he would be worth if not for his recent injuries and problem reputation while playing for the Kings? Although he seemed to be somewhat behaved when in New Orleans. He won't get the kind of money he could probably get as a modern day Big in today's NBA. But if he can comeback from his ACL, some desperate team would pay the veteran minimum with a prove it 1 yr contract.
Apparently you're forgetting that last year was a 1 year prove it contract...and all he was able to muster was another 1 year. So clearly no one is going to sign Boogie to a long term deal anymore. He's going to be signing small deals for what's left of his career.
Make that barely one-half of a year. It took Boogie awhile to recover from the Achilles injury, and he suffered a severe quadriceps injury not long after his comeback. Boogie played a whopping 30 regular-season games last season for Golden State.

It's a shame because unlike Melo, Boogie still has value if healthy. A big man with three-point range and athleticism. Plus there were no reports of petulant behavior last season with the Warriors that dogged him for his entire career in Sacto.

But sadly these injuries are neutering his ability to be agile on his feet, so he's going to end up being another big-man boat anchor that slows any pace-and-space offense. Hell, you saw it in the playoffs last spring: Boogie lagged getting down the court so often for the Warriors, slowing their offensive flow and hurting them on defense. And that was before this ACL injury.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Or another way to look at it is that he's getting $8.5 million for two seasons, mostly being injured.

Most of us won't make that much in our entire lifetimes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Or another way to look at it is that he's getting $8.5 million for two seasons, mostly being injured.

Most of us won't make that much in our entire lifetimes.
No sh*t. But the "he's overpaid" trope is old. These guys are the absolute best at a lucrative profession with guaranteed contracts.

Odd how musicians and actors who make just as much or more bank than elite athletes don't face nearly as much of the "They're overpaid" yelps from the general public. All of them entertain us en masse and are paid what their respective markets bear.

The topic of discussion here is "what could have been" for Boogie if he was healthy. He easily could have been a max player or close to it in the last two years, with his size, athleticism and three-point shooting. That chance almost certainly is gone.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

He would have been a max player who put up a lot of empty stats.

Without some other max player, he would have trouble doing much in the playoffs.

If he hadn't been injured that year, the Pelicans might have taken another game from the Warriors in the second round two years ago.

Or maybe they wouldn't have swept the Trailblazers in round 1.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Without some other max player, he would have trouble doing much in the playoffs.
Sooooo just like every other MAX player in the last 7-8 years? You can't win with one star these days. No one is saying Boogie would have been the exception. What a ridiculous argument.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Without some other max player, he would have trouble doing much in the playoffs.
Sooooo just like every other MAX player in the last 7-8 years? You can't win with one star these days. No one is saying Boogie would have been the exception. What a ridiculous argument.

Lebron was the only max player on the Cavs.

AD led the Pels to a sweep of the Trailblazers without any other max-level player.

The Celtics led by IT didn't have any max level players. In fact they made the ECF and took the Celtics to 7 games just two seasons ago without any max-level player.

Cousins probably gave up as much as he put up, which is why he never made the playoffs as the primary or secondary scorer.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:He would have been a max player who put up a lot of empty stats.

Without some other max player, he would have trouble doing much in the playoffs.
Wow, you've clearly been brushing up on Franchise mode in NBA 2K.

This is "sun sets in west" analysis. Your point?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Lebron was the only max player on the Cavs.
The '07 Cavs? Correct. The '16 Cavs? Hello? Kyrie and Kevin Love.
wco81 wrote:AD led the Pels to a sweep of the Trailblazers without any other max-level player.
Jrue Holiday is one of the best players in the NBA not on a max deal. It wasn't AD and the Four Dwarfs.
wco81 wrote:The Celtics led by IT didn't have any max level players. In fact they made the ECF and took the Celtics to 7 games just two seasons ago without any max-level player.
The East was historically awful two seasons ago. Plus like Holiday for the Pels, Al Horford was one of the better all-around players in the NBA without a max deal. Jayson Tatum was one of the top two rookies in the league. Stevens also is a great coach. And this may prove your point and damage my point, but IT wasn't a factor in the playoffs that year due to injury. He played Game 1 of the ECF -- that's it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I never played franchise mode on NBA2K so I don't know what that means.

My original point, which db posted, is that Cousins would have trouble "doing much in the playoffs."

So I wasn't talking about winning the ring by himself, but maybe win a series or two. Like I said, he only got to the playoffs for the first time last year as a role player on a team with two MVP-level players and two multiple all-stars.

Jrue is a good player but I don't believe he's even been an all-star yet. He was great on defense in that Blazers-Pelicans defense. He may still be and if things go right for the Pelicans, maybe Griffin will give him a max deal on his next contract but probably not.

Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving, you can debate either way. But Lebron took the Cavs to the Finals two years ago by himself.

And of course the Celtics made the Finals, beating the 76ers in 5 games, just two seasons ago but they played above their heads.

My point is, it's possible to win 1, 2 or even 3 playoffs series with just one max level player. But Cousins is not one of those players or at least he's not shown any indication that he could be.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:I never played franchise mode on NBA2K so I don't know what that means.

My original point, which db posted, is that Cousins would have trouble "doing much in the playoffs."

So I wasn't talking about winning the ring by himself, but maybe win a series or two. Like I said, he only got to the playoffs for the first time last year as a role player on a team with two MVP-level players and two multiple all-stars.

Jrue is a good player but I don't believe he's even been an all-star yet. He was great on defense in that Blazers-Pelicans defense. He may still be and if things go right for the Pelicans, maybe Griffin will give him a max deal on his next contract but probably not.

Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving, you can debate either way. But Lebron took the Cavs to the Finals two years ago by himself.

And of course the Celtics made the Finals, beating the 76ers in 5 games, just two seasons ago but they played above their heads.

My point is, it's possible to win 1, 2 or even 3 playoffs series with just one max level player. But Cousins is not one of those players or at least he's not shown any indication that he could be.
Jrue was an all star all the way back when he was a Sixer.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Something tells me Zion Williamson is not long for the NBA. He had knee problems at Duke then had knee problems during the Summer League. During the preseason he had another knee problem, and now N.O. says he won't play for 2-3 weeks into the regular season. The dude carries too much weight and the knock on him is, he "loves to eat". Not good when you live and work in New Orleans. He looks like he's ready to morph into Shaq's body.

I like the Tyler Herro kid in Miami and I was glad Bradley Beal signed an extension with Washington. I would prefer to see if Tyler Herro can develop into a poor man's (rookie contract) Klay Thompson or Bradley Beal. But both Coach and Player say he needs to work on the defensive side of the ball first. But man can that kid shoot the ball. I've been more excited for the start of the NBA season vs the NFL the last few years.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Just said the same thing about Zion to a buddy. Greg Oden 2.0 vibes. Body just too "not normal" to be able to take the daily grind of the NBA. Sadly.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

People are wowed at him shooting like 71% in preseason.

Turns out he's only made one shot out of the paint.

Not to say he won't get a lot of dunks in the regular season but teams are going to try to offer more resistance than in preseason games.

One of their games, he was like -18.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Just said the same thing about Zion to a buddy. Greg Oden 2.0 vibes. Body just too "not normal" to be able to take the daily grind of the NBA. Sadly.
Unless there's an intervention with medical science like Curry learning a different way to run and getting special supports for his balky ankles, which by all accounts saved his career around seven or eight years ago.

Sad analogy to Oden. Hope it's not true.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:People are wowed at him shooting like 71% in preseason.

Turns out he's only made one shot out of the paint.

Not to say he won't get a lot of dunks in the regular season but teams are going to try to offer more resistance than in preseason games.

One of their games, he was like -18.
Yeah but it hasn't hurt Jimmy Butler or Ben Simmons and he got a HUGE contract extension. It also hasn't hurt Russell Westbrook either. IIRC, I don't think LBJ was the best 3 point shooter coming out of HS and he's still not the best even to this day. To me, Zion Williamson game is more like Blake Griffin coming out of college. He just loves to dunk and supposedly he did a 360 dunk during preseason. And just because a player isn't a good 3 pt shooter doesn't mean he can't be. I think where it hurts a player is if they are seriously deficient in other skills like defense or playmaking.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I’m not saying Zion can’t or won’t be a g player.

Just too early to judge him to be the next great str base on these preseason highlight plays.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:I’m not saying Zion can’t or won’t be a g player.

Just too early to judge him to be the next great str base on these preseason highlight plays.
The biggest judgement question about Zion right now is durability, not shooting ability or defense. He can be the most dynamic rookie since Durant but will be about as useful as a Confederate dollar in 1866 if he can't stay on the floor.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You know it's funny how these journeymen players who land these fat contracts, how they disappear once the contract is signed. James Johnson is one of them in Miami and the other is Dion Waiters. Philly Cheese still has his irrational confidence because up until 2016-17 playing with Goran Dragic he's been consistently average. Not a bad player but not great like his 1st rd billing.

So now Philly Cheese is pissed off that he's not playing starter minutes and has watched from the bench which got him in Pat Riley's doghouse and a 1 game suspension. So Dion goes off the rails again and says that Coach Spo only won his two NBA titles because he had LBJ, Wade and Bosh. I wonder if Riley is going to extend the suspension past one game?

Waiters problem is that a 24 yr old undrafted combo guard (Kendrick Nunn) who Miami got from the Warriors D-League put up 40 pts against Westbrook and Harden, then there's Tyler Herro who's been averaging 16.5 pts during the preseason when he was starting. Dion needs to quit betting on himself but unlike the NFL, his 52 million 4 yr contract is guaranteed.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

“Zion Williamson out 6-8 weeks after surgery to repair torn right lateral meniscus”

......and so it begins !

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:“Zion Williamson out 6-8 weeks after surgery to repair torn right lateral meniscus”

......and so it begins !
Dude needs to lose 20-30 pounds during his recovery. He can still explosive and powerful at 250-260 instead of 280. He's 6-7, not 7-1 -- 280 is just too damn heavy and will shorten his career.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Going to Lakers/Clips tonight...gotta get in my visit to Staples when both Lebron and AD are healthy. So first game of the season it is. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You read the Pelicans GM saying how Zion is on track with his knee injury AND then you read this on CBS Sports: "Pelicans' Zion Williamson is learning to walk and run differently during injury rehab process"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/peli ... er-report/