Wreckfest

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Wreckfest

Post by sportdan30 »

Came out a week ago on the consoles to great reviews. Good ol' fashion arcade racing with some smash up cars. I guess it's been on steam for over a year.

Any one up pick it up? I might grab it for $40 after work. Looks just my speed!

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Wreckfest

Post by AcemanPR »

I picked it up and it is the best game of its kind since the Demolition Derby games. It looks quite good and the damage physics are impressive! The different demolition events are just incredibly fun, but the racing events feel so organic, as they can be filled with complete mayhem at times too. They've since released a patch to fix some of the annoying bugs when it initially released and there was an uproar from the Steam community about them putting in rubberbanding AI, but they performed a hotfix on that as well. It's definitely one of those games that wasn't on my radar too much but turned out alot better than expected.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

AcemanPR wrote:I picked it up and it is the best game of its kind since the Demolition Derby games. It looks quite good and the damage physics are impressive! The different demolition events are just incredibly fun, but the racing events feel so organic, as they can be filled with complete mayhem at times too. They've since released a patch to fix some of the annoying bugs when it initially released and there was an uproar from the Steam community about them putting in rubberbanding AI, but they performed a hotfix on that as well. It's definitely one of those games that wasn't on my radar too much but turned out alot better than expected.
I actually liked Demolition Derby on the Playstation strictly for the racing. Does this game have a real racing feel to it, if you approach it as a race more than a 'take the other guy out' event? I'm wondering if the AI drivers ratchet up their aggressiveness based on your actions?

Finally, does it support force feedback steering wheels?

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I wouldn't say it has a real racing feel to it. Its definitely more on the arcady side of things, but you don't have to take the other guy out to win either. Overall the racing is fun because of all the wreckage that can occur. And yes, if you bump into the AI, they can become a rival and will look for revenge and come for you. As far as the force feedback steering wheel support, I don't own one, so I am not completely sure whether they are supported or not.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

AcemanPR wrote:I wouldn't say it has a real racing feel to it. Its definitely more on the arcady side of things, but you don't have to take the other guy out to win either. Overall the racing is fun because of all the wreckage that can occur. And yes, if you bump into the AI, they can become a rival and will look for revenge and come for you.
Your description sounds like what I had hoped for from it. I knew it would have an arcadey tone to it, but I'd like to have a chance to win a race without taking other cars out. I saw a video of a guy racing the lawnmower race, and he was using a force feedback wheel. It busted a gut laughing at the crashed mowers, burning lap after lap, with their drivers strewn about on the track, and flopping like rag dolls when hit by passing traffic :) He then did a more conventional race, using "B" class cars and he was mostly trying to race instead of wreck. I liked the looks of it, even though he was using a chase view. The other cars were being more aggressive than he was, but I never saw anything overly abusive against him.
As far as the force feedback steering wheel support, I don't own one, so I am not completely sure whether they are supported or not.
The reviewer in the video I saw commented on how the wheel support surpassed his expectations. I think I'm going to buy it and have a go at it. Thanks for your input on this!

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Anytime. It's one of those fun titles to pop in and play for 30-45 minutes and not take serious. Stress reliever for sure!

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I've had it for a few months on the pc. Very entertaining, and it certainly is a nice diversion from Sims. It really is a good balance between a smash em up and trying to place well enough to progress through the series.