The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by J_Cauthen »

Those of you who enjoy player older, established parkland style real course recreations will enjoy today's tournament at Wethersfield Country Club, located near Wethersfield Connecticut. It's made by one of my favorite designers, friendBOMBER, who has become very proficient with LiDAR and OSM. There are a couple of par 4's that require some shot shaping off the tee, but they're manageable. I missed three putts of 3 feet or less in my round simply because I didn't respect the slope enough to allow for it.

It's a very realistic course and can be had if you're conservative about drive placement... I wasn't in a few spots and wound up with some working mans pars and a couple of bogeys as a result.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That new rendition of Augusta is the most realistic golf course I've ever seen in a golf game from an elevation stand point. I like playing just from the golfers point of view when playing solo for fun and this is the only course that felt real. You can really appreciate what Augusta looks like with this version and all the subtle elevation at every turn.

I'd love to see more courses with this level of detail. Anyone who has ever been to Augusta has probably like me felt golf game versions a bit lacking in the look and feel. This version corrects that by 1000%.

I'm actually blown away how good this is, thanks for pointing it out.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:That new rendition of Augusta is the most realistic golf course I've ever seen in a golf game from an elevation stand point. I like playing just from the golfers point of view when playing solo for fun and this is the only course that felt real. You can really appreciate what Augusta looks like with this version and all the subtle elevation at every turn.

I'd love to see more courses with this level of detail. Anyone who has ever been to Augusta has probably like me felt golf game versions a bit lacking in the look and feel. This version corrects that by 1000%.

I played Firethorn National on my simulator today and it is a wicked rendition of Augusta. Damn well done course.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:That new rendition of Augusta is the most realistic golf course I've ever seen in a golf game from an elevation stand point. I like playing just from the golfers point of view when playing solo for fun and this is the only course that felt real. You can really appreciate what Augusta looks like with this version and all the subtle elevation at every turn.

It truly is spectacular, and I can certainly relate to your watching it from the golfer's point of view entirely. I'll switch to a reverse view between like 50 to 75%, most of the time when playing this game, but Magnolia National is one in which I'll at least hold off on the reverse angle view until the ball has totally disappeared from my golfer view.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:I played Firethorn National on my simulator today and it is a wicked rendition of Augusta. Damn well done course.
How'd you score? I gotta imaging that's pretty brutal playing on a simulator, where 7,400 yard tees are your only option? That's got to be one heck of an immersive experience though 8)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

With a two week break in between seasons of the PGA Tour, I set up the Barracuda Championship at Montreux for this weekends tourney since we skipped it this season as it was played on the same weekend as TPC Southwind.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I thought Ironfall 2 was a beautiful, fun little course. Really liked the multiple ways you could play several holes.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I played Firethorn National on my simulator today and it is a wicked rendition of Augusta. Damn well done course.
How'd you score? I gotta imaging that's pretty brutal playing on a simulator, where 7,400 yard tees are your only option? That's got to be one heck of an immersive experience though 8)
Scored pretty decent...probably around an 80. Greens are slick on default on the simulator. Struggled with that. Super rendition of Augusta.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:I thought Ironfall 2 was a beautiful, fun little course. Really liked the multiple ways you could play several holes.
I was not a fan. Was scrambling the entire round...think I was up to plus 5 or so midway through the round, but fought back as best as I could to plus 1 after 18.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I thought Ironfall 2 was a beautiful golf course, and yes, it did provide you with some alternate ways to play a hole in many cases, but I found it to be somewhat over-appointed. It just looked like the landscaping was taken to the extreme and the rock and boulder formations that were created made the course look artificially ornate in some spots.

I had the strangest round in terms of difficulty. I had two eagles (one of which was a hole in one!), three birdies, two bogeys, a double and a triple bogey. I still think Arctic Fury's best course is Jupitor Ridge. It was elegantly simple in constuction, yet more appealing to the eyes... it looked like something that could be made in real life. Finally, it's realistic and fun golf challenge.

I had to miss the Kill Devil Hills tournament yesterday unexpectedly. What did you guys think of that one? I played the first three holes of it last week and thought it had potential from what I could see there.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I enjoyed Kill Devil a bit more than the constant change of altitudes that Ironfalls 2 offered. A beautiful course still, that made a few holes more fantasy than realistic. Hooked the ball so-badly on the very first hole that was unplayable, went for a swim on #17, but did manage to score a couple of birdies and an eagle to fix my inconsistent swing.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I know I keep suggesting this with no takers but do we have enough people in the club now to do a President's Cup event? Yes it would require scheduling and playing people live but it would be fun.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I know I keep suggesting this with no takers but do we have enough people in the club now to do a President's Cup event? Yes it would require scheduling and playing people live but it would be fun.
I love the idea Dan! I've just learned today that the "Royal Melbourne" we lost last week has been republished as "Melburn", so we would have what I recall as being a reasonably authentic course on which to play it. I know we'd never be able to pull 24 total players (12 per team) like the real Presidents Cup, but I think we could make it work with possibly 12, six on each team?

I'm in... anyone else?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Our tournament today is being played at Mathew Rose's Parkland Municipal course. I haven't played the course yet, but I haven't played every course he's made to date, on both Perfect Golf (where he started) and TGC 2019. that wasn't top drawer. All of his courses have always impressed me as placed you could expect to walk out on and play in real life!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Let’s be realistic here. I would love any ‘Live’ play with any of you boyz. It would be a miracle if we can gather a foursome at the same time to play any tournament, never mind 6, or 12. We have the people I believe, but meeting at the right time with everyone living in different time zones and commitments, it will be a true miracle if I see it to fruition.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:Let’s be realistic here. I would love any ‘Live’ play with any of you boyz. It would be a miracle if we can gather a foursome at the same time to play any tournament, never mind 6, or 12. We have the people I believe, but meeting at the right time with everyone living in different time zones and commitments, it will be a true miracle if I see it to fruition.
That does complicate matters. The regular players of the DSP Society are in at least three different time zones. If we pulled in 12 players total somehow, I'm sure that number would expand. I'm fortunate in that I'm retired now and can pretty much play any time between 9:00 AM until 1:00 AM the next day. I'm sure that doesn't speak for most everyone else though.

On another note about today's course, Parkland Municipal, Matthew Rose said that he made the greens relatively flat, because he wanted this course to play like a public course in the parkland. TGC Tours rejected the course, Matt is thinking, because of that. They accepted the other four courses he submitted.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So I've just really started playing this one. Is there a good Augusta course?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Teal wrote:So I've just really started playing this one. Is there a good Augusta course?
Check on the ‘Firethorn National’ Course. Haven’t tried it yet but apparently it does a great rendition of Augusta.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
Teal wrote:So I've just really started playing this one. Is there a good Augusta course?
Check on the ‘Firethorn National’ Course. Haven’t tried it yet but apparently it does a great rendition of Augusta.
It is SUPERB.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Yeah, Firethorn National is the best rendition of Augusta National, by a long shot, IMO. IIRC, Craig might have the default lighting a bit on the dark side, like a "Dusk" setting, so you might want to experiment with afternoon, or noon to get something more in line with what you're used to seeing on TV.

If you want to see and experience another great course, play the Digital Sportspage Society tournament on Wednesday. It's at a newly released, LiDAR version of of Tom Watson's "The Conservatory" course... and it is breathtakingly authentic. It's created by "MAJORHIGH", who's planting skills I've always admired, and now that he's got access to LiDAR, he says he's been freed to spend a lot more time on planting and adding fine touches.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Going to end the current DSP society season after today's daily expires, I believe we are near 50 events played anyhow. Will set up Firethorn National as the weekend tourney to start off the new season and then the PGA Tour picks back up next week at The Old White.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:Going to end the current DSP society season after today's daily expires, I believe we are near 50 events played anyhow. Will set up Firethorn National as the weekend tourney to start off the new season and then the PGA Tour picks back up next week at The Old White.
That sounds like a great plan Vader! I'd like to hear your reaction to The Conservatory, once you've played it... you may have already, I just haven't checked in today yet. I'll have to play my round after 9:00 PM EDT, or thereabouts.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
vader29 wrote:Going to end the current DSP society season after today's daily expires, I believe we are near 50 events played anyhow. Will set up Firethorn National as the weekend tourney to start off the new season and then the PGA Tour picks back up next week at The Old White.
That sounds like a great plan Vader! I'd like to hear your reaction to The Conservatory, once you've played it... you may have already, I just haven't checked in today yet. I'll have to play my round after 9:00 PM EDT, or thereabouts.
I thought it was a pretty good course as most of the Lidar courses have been.

The Firethorn tourney is a free to enter tourney as I forgot that everything resets after a season has ended and was unable to set an entry fee after submitting it this morning, future weekend tournaments are set for 400 coins to enter, not that coins matter much in this game anyway. :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:I thought it was a pretty good course as most of the Lidar courses have been.
I played The Conservatory last night in our DSP tournament with Master clubs, after I'd shot a 10 under in our previous tournament with Master clubs... I shot +2 last night, but I also 3-putted five times in that round, including a 3-putt from 17 feet on the first hole. I loved the course though, easily in my top 5.
The Firethorn tourney is a free to enter tourney as I forgot that everything resets after a season has ended and was unable to set an entry fee after submitting it this morning, future weekend tournaments are set for 400 coins to enter, not that coins matter much in this game anyway. :)
Looking forward to playing Firethorn National (the best Augusta National RCR there is) again under competitive conditions. I'm going to tempt my fate with Master clubs again, so this could be a roller coaster ride! 8O

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:The Firethorn tourney is a free to enter tourney as I forgot that everything resets after a season has ended and was unable to set an entry fee after submitting it this morning, future weekend tournaments are set for 400 coins to enter, not that coins matter much in this game anyway. :)
I wanted to make a comment about the Firethorne National (Augusta National) tournament last weekend. The course looks better than ever, but it was one heck of a roller coaster ride for me. I was (foolishly) playing with Master clubs, even though my recent track record shows they're above my skill level. I managed to get to the 13th hole of round one at +1 though, and thought I had it going, after birdies on 9 and 11. I tried to play too much draw off the 13th tee and wound up no-man's land near Rae's Creek.

I couldn't even see my golfer but I tried to play a punch shot out. It wound up further from the hole than I was before. Another blind punch didn't get me but 20 yards closer to the hole, with a still invisible golfer. I finally hit a 5-iron into the green that barely cleared Rae's creek in front, rolled up onto the green, then back off of it and into the creek. I wound up with a 12 on the hole and shot and 84 for the round.

In round 3, I got revenge on #13. I left myself a 4-iron into the green after a perfect drive it rolled like 35 feet and fell right into the cup for a double-eagle... I'd gone from playing the same hole from a 12 to a 2 in two days 8O I finally went back to Pro clubs for the final round in this one, but I didn't score all that differently from rounds 2 and 3, but the pin placements were sick in round 4, for the most part. I thought the entire field's tournament scores looked pretty believable. This wound up being a very good tournament, IMO!