NFL Season 2021-22

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NFL Season 2019

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:Luck, took a beating his first few years. This is why the next CBA needs to demand “guaranteed contracts”. NBA players get ridiculous money compared to NFL players, that’s guaranteed and are not subjected to the same physical violence as NFL players.

Well they did use to give big guarantee money to top rookie draft picks. I think Sam Bradford got something like $40 million on his rookie deal and then the NFL and NFLPA reduced the amount players could earn on their rookie deal.

In fact, I believe if Luck left school a year or two earlier, he would have gotten one of those high rookie contracts.

Owners have all the leverage though. I believe in case of either a lockout or a strike, the TV deal still pays the owners. Look at how stingy NFL teams are about paying RBs, who have short careers with the beatings they take. No way the owners give up guaranteed contracts without getting something back. Hell they enforce marijuana violations as a bargaining chip. They would want NFLPA to give up something big to stop suspending players for weed.

I think in Luck's case, he probably figured it wasn't worth playing to take more beating. I don't think he's as driven by money as other pro athletes and he's got the ability to have some other substantial career with the rest of his life if he wants to, like maybe go to med school or get into business.

He carried the Colts but he was willing to take hits to make big plays. On a different team, maybe he doesn't try to play hero ball so much. Or a different system like the Patriots where Brady could check down to backs like Faulk, Lewis and other who would make plays taking short passes or they'd throw a lot of screens to players like Welker and Edelman. That is how Brady has lasted, he's not sitting back there trying to make big plays all the time.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

There’s a story that says Luck may have to pay back money because he decided to retire due to health issues. This is just plain crazy after the Colts just beat him up during his first few years with a crappy OL. We’re not talking about Ricky Williams here just deciding to retire on a whim but a guy who wants to play but can’t because he is seriously injured and values a quality life over pain after his NFL career is over.

This is just going to backfire on the League as a whole and already has with players who demanded to get paid now because of all of the injury risks like Le’Veon Bell and Ezekiel Elliott. And I can see more players in the future doing the same while Roger Goodell makes more per year than most NFL players. I can also see players in the future choosing a sport other than football. Like PK says, the league is making money hand over fist and the players are being screwed by the owners.

Edit: Both sides reached an agreement and Luck won't have to write a check back to the Colts. Megatron supposedly wasn't as lucky as Luck. ...no pun intended :P
Last edited by Rodster on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I admire Luck for the decision. Smart dude. I wish him “Luck”.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I hope this sh*t isn't true but with the Dolphins, ya never know, well because they're the Dolphins. Supposedly there's talk of the Dolphins considering trading Tunsil for Clowney. Clowney has made it perfectly clear he only wants to play for a contender i.e. Eagles or the Seahawks. So let me see if I understand this. The Dolphins are considering swapping Tunsil who loves playing in MIami and is a leader and oh by the way the best lineman the Dolphins have protrecting their QB for a guy who doesn't want to play in Miami?

Makes perfect sense, so does the Dolphins being stuck in 3rd gear the last 20 yrs. :twisted:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rod, you need to read more than one single story on the Tunsil/Clowny stuff...it ain’t happening. There’s literally no way for it to happen without a ton of picks being involved given the disparity in contract status and positional needs.

Clowney may end up in Miami, but it will not be for Tunsil. If Miami does that it’s an absolute travesty.

The bigger issue with the Dolphins is that they are looking like they will be starting Fitz. Huh?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I hope you’re right about Tunsil bot both Miami papers have said the Dolphins are considering Tunsil, which caused players to say they will revolt if it were to happen. So there is some truth to the Tunsil rumors. Maybe now that’s it’s out in the open and teammates saying they’ll revolt if Tunsil is traded will make the FO to pull the plug on the idea.

I thought the Dolphins were in rebuild mode? They are a couple of good drafts away from Clowney making an impact. I’m in the camp, don’t trade away picks especially if the team needs to trade up to snag Tua next year.

And yeah, they need to start Rosen day 1 to see what he can do but the word from some who follow the team say he has problems reading defenses. And he admitted that as well.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So according to CBS Sports, the Dolphins turned down the Texans offer for Clowney along with their 1st rd pick in next years draft for Tunsil. So why did the Dolphins turn down the offer? Because according to CBS Sports and the Miami Herald, the Dolphins wanted another 1st pick from the Texans and the Texans balked at the Dolphins asking price.

Tunsil is yet to sign an extension so that appears to be the reason he's in play and he's asking to be paid as one of the best OL in the league. I would hate for the Dolphins to trade him because of money only to sign Clowney to a mega deal.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looks like Seattle is serious about landing Clowney which was one of his preferred teams he wants to play for.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Watt is already making QB money. Clowney is also probably expecting a big payday.

For all that talent on the DL, Houston wasn't a big threat to win the AFC. Even that defense wasn't shutting teams down.

But I guess Houston was in a hurry to get Clowney off the team, though they could have franchised him a couple of seasons?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Bye Tunsil and Stills.

Blockbuster: The #Dolphins are trading franchise LT Laremy Tunsil and WR Kenny Stills to the #Texans in exchange for a huge package of picks, including a first-rounder, sources tell me, @MikeGarafolo, and @TomPelissero. The moves are contingent on players passing physicals.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Bye Tunsil and Stills.

Blockbuster: The #Dolphins are trading franchise LT Laremy Tunsil and WR Kenny Stills to the #Texans in exchange for a huge package of picks, including a first-rounder, sources tell me, @MikeGarafolo, and @TomPelissero. The moves are contingent on players passing physicals.
See, that's what Miami papers were speculating that the Dolphins new regime "liked" Tunsil but were not in love with him which is why he did not get an extension.

I would hate to be a QB in Miami. So I take it Clowney had a change of heart, because he had to sign off on it?

edit: nvm, Clowney isn't coming to the Dolphins. Straight trade for picks.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Looks,like he’s going to SEA for a third pick along veterans Mingo and Martin back to Texas. Even after signing Z. Ansah, he hasn’t showed that he’s in form yet and I am still iffy on his recovery. J. Reed is suspended for the first 6 games too so Clowney is a great addition at this juncture, especially after losing F. Clark to KC.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

So are those two 1st rd picks the Dolphins are getting worth it by giving up Tunsil? From what i've read, Houston is a playoff team so those picks could come in around the 20th pick. The only thing those Houston picks might be good for is to package them if the Dolphins need to trade up in next years draft.

BUT, if they had just stunk up the joint instead of Flores taking the high road and saying he wants to win every game, they could have picked 1st or 2nd and kept Tunsil. Now a terrible OL is even worse. I'm wondering if Fitz is now wishing he wasn't named the starter? :P

Edit: Why did the Dolphins sign Xavien Howard? If they unloaded Tunsil for draft picks, they might as well find a buyer for Howard since he’s an elite corner.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Miami is stockpiling picks for the 2021 draft and Trevor Lawrence.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:Miami is stockpiling picks for the 2021 draft and Trevor Lawrence.
Hmm, that's a name I haven't seen mentioned but doesn't mean they aren't interested. The three QB's Miami seems to have the most interest in are Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm and Justin Herbert. Those are the names mentioned the most in both Miami newspapers.

And hopefully if they suck real bad they won't have to package any picks to move up in the draft and can use them to build a decent OL.

Now all they need to do is trade Xavien Howard for a nice haul of picks. The only thing I can definitely say I like about Chris Greer (GM) is that he plays hardball. In the past the GM's chosen by the Miami head coaches (Dave Wannstedt was the worse), were so desperate to make deals, they gave away the store just to complete a deal. The A.J. Feeley deal with Philadelphia was one of the worst I can remember.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Miami is stockpiling picks for the 2021 draft and Trevor Lawrence.
Hmm, that's a name I haven't seen mentioned but doesn't mean they aren't interested. The three QB's Miami seems to have the most interest in are Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm and Justin Herbert. Those are the names mentioned the most in both Miami newspapers.

And hopefully if they suck real bad they won't have to package any picks to move up in the draft and can use them to build a decent OL.

Now all they need to do is trade Xavien Howard for a nice haul of picks. The only thing I can definitely say I like about Chris Greer (GM) is that he plays hardball. In the past the GM's chosen by the Miami head coaches (Dave Wannstedt was the worse), were so desperate to make deals, they gave away the store just to complete a deal. The A.J. Feeley deal with Philadelphia was one of the worst I can remember.
Just a guess on my part, nothing backing that up. :)

Not sure I like any of those QB's coming out next draft, maybe Herbert.. but if I could hold off one more year and win the Lawrence sweepstakes, which I know is no guarantee.. that kid seems to have it all. Maybe get the OL in shape next season to protect him.

Would be a fun team to build in Madden for sure.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:
Rodster wrote:

Just a guess on my part, nothing backing that up. :)

Not sure I like any of those QB's coming out next draft, maybe Herbert.. but if I could hold off one more year and win the Lawrence sweepstakes, which I know is no guarantee.. that kid seems to have it all. Maybe get the OL in shape next season to protect him.

Would be a fun team to build in Madden for sure.
I saw a little of the Ducks and Auburn game yesterday but not enough to form an opinion on Herbert, he made a nice across the field throw under pressure. Tua is supposedly the top QB in next years draft and gets the MOST hype out of the top 3 QB's in the draft. That's who I see Miami picking next year.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

And Kiko Alonso is headed to the Saints for Vince Biegel.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They’re not even going to try to se what they have in Rosen?

Just going for the latest flavor?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote: I saw a little of the Ducks and Auburn game yesterday but not enough to form an opinion on Herbert, he made a nice across the field throw under pressure. Tua is supposedly the top QB in next years draft and gets the MOST hype out of the top 3 QB's in the draft. That's who I see Miami picking next year.
I just don't see an NFL QB in Tua.. I'm no expert though.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:They’re not even going to try to se what they have in Rosen?
I wish they would, he's played better than Fitz in the preseason pretty much against the same talent.
MizzouRah wrote:I just don't see an NFL QB in Tua.. I'm no expert though.
I don't watch College FB so I have not seen a single Alabama game with Tua at QB and you could be right, he could be a flop. Here's a breakdown of both Tua and Herbert from CBS Sports https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... g-ability/

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Gratz XXXIV in signing Goff for another four years, I know how much you love him. :twisted:

Can’t still believe we robbed Houston in literally giving nothing for Clowney. :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Gratz XXXIV in signing Goff for another four years, I know how much you love him. :twisted:

Can’t still believe we robbed Houston in literally giving nothing for Clowney. :)
:lol: :lol: I chuckled this morning when I heard about the signing.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Can’t still believe we robbed Houston in literally giving nothing for Clowney. :)
If you think that was robbery, what the Dolphins did to Houston was basically a Bank holdup. :lol:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Gratz XXXIV in signing Goff for another four years, I know how much you love him. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: I chuckled this morning when I heard about the signing.
Thanks 10s! I do love him so! Such a lovely lad!

Rant to follow at a later time as I dont have time for all the uses of c*** that it would entail.

This is not good.