Racing Season 2019 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2019

Post by Rodster »

Since the 3 Stooges of Racing has become Ferrari, here's hoping Red Bull can take the fight to Merc and i'm not a fan of RB.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

For those of you watching Le Mans on Motor Trend TV, your annual reminder that player.radiolemans.co is a handy way to avoid the Eurosport commentary team, and that the people on the TV broadcast are genuinely media professionals and not, as you may have initially thought, competition winners.

Assuming you also suffer the same number of commercial breaks and awkward Tom Kristensen pieces that we do, using Radio Le Mans commentary will confer upon you the key advantage of actually knowing when something's happened in the race.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GB_Simo wrote:For those of you watching Le Mans on Motor Trend TV, your annual reminder that player.radiolemans.co is a handy way to avoid the Eurosport commentary team, and that the people on the TV broadcast are genuinely media professionals and not, as you may have initially thought, competition winners.

Assuming you also suffer the same number of commercial breaks and awkward Tom Kristensen pieces that we do, using Radio Le Mans commentary will confer upon you the key advantage of actually knowing when something's happened in the race.
Thanks for the reminder Adam, the radio lemans broadcast came in handy on more than one occasion where the TV coverage missed on track events real time.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Best F1 headline of the year: "Only a miracle can save the 2019 Formula One season now"

And the top teams want the status quo to remain while TV and race attendance continues to decline. You've probably heard this before, another F1 race in the books and another Mercedes win.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

What a stark contrast this weekend despite both races featuring run-away, dominating performances at the sharp end of the grid.

In France you had a glorified parking lot painted up with a bunch of blue and red lines and little-to-no action. Admittedly I didn’t go back to watch the last half of the race after leaving the house for baseball in the morning, but the reaction on Twitter made it seem like a waste of time.

Then you had IndyCar ripping around the most glorious natural terrain road course in America, with cars getting sideways, chrome horns, kicking up dirt for an exhilarating 55 caution-free laps. There was a hell of a battle to get in the top 5 in the closing laps - Scott Dixon was a man on a mission after getting spun out on the first lap.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dave wrote:What a stark contrast this weekend despite both races featuring run-away, dominating performances at the sharp end of the grid.

In France you had a glorified parking lot painted up with a bunch of blue and red lines and little-to-no action. Admittedly I didn’t go back to watch the last half of the race after leaving the house for baseball in the morning, but the reaction on Twitter made it seem like a waste of time.

Then you had IndyCar ripping around the most glorious natural terrain road course in America, with cars getting sideways, chrome horns, kicking up dirt for an exhilarating 55 caution-free laps. There was a hell of a battle to get in the top 5 in the closing laps - Scott Dixon was a man on a mission after getting spun out on the first lap.
And the baffling part about that Dave is that the F1 owners are trying to fix it. To make the product more like the Indycar series but the teams at the top think everything is just fine. So they say there's no need to introduce any major overhaul. Meanwhile ratings and attendance continues to trend down.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F1 has become a perfectly good waste of two hours every other Sunday. Not exactly the most compelling advertisement for a sport.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I read an article yesterday in which the author claimed that the French Grand Prix was the worst race in the sport's history. Feels a tad hyperbolic to me, but it was certainly some distance away from being any good at all. Whether I'd bother renewing my Sky Sports subscription if they gave up the IndyCar rights, I don't know.

The real news at Paul Ricard was in the junior classes. If you're anything like me, you've probably wondered whether the penalty points system in F1 and its feeder series acts as much of a deterrent. How would some of the finest racing drivers in the world ever drive badly enough, often enough to bag 12 points in a rolling 12 months?

Maybe they wouldn't. Mahaveer Raghunathan, though...he would. He has, in fact.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:The real news at Paul Ricard was in the junior classes. If you're anything like me, you've probably wondered whether the penalty points system in F1 and its feeder series acts as much of a deterrent. How would some of the finest racing drivers in the world ever drive badly enough, often enough to bag 12 points in a rolling 12 months?

Well, when you're racing worldwide on sanitized circuits with oceans of asphalt runoff, what's the penalty for driving like a knob other than penalty points?

You see far fewer dipsh*t moves on a proper, high-speed circuit with grass and gravel runoff areas, like Road America, because the penalties for mistakes are quite severe.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:The real news at Paul Ricard was in the junior classes. If you're anything like me, you've probably wondered whether the penalty points system in F1 and its feeder series acts as much of a deterrent. How would some of the finest racing drivers in the world ever drive badly enough, often enough to bag 12 points in a rolling 12 months?

Well, when you're racing worldwide on SANITIZED circuits with oceans of asphalt runoff, what's the penalty for driving like a knob other than penalty points?

You see far fewer dipsh*t moves on a proper, high-speed circuit with grass and gravel runoff areas, like Road America, because the penalties for mistakes are quite severe.
Agreed as that's part of the problem. 25 years ago there was Imola and 2 lost their lives and Rubens Barrichello could have made it 3 that weekend. Or as Eddie Irvine likes to refer to modern Formula One as tiddlywinks.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

While I try to think of a question for those answers, my original point (which was only that there's a chap in F2 who apparently can't drive sheep - 9 penalty points in a single race?) feeds rather neatly into news of the good Mr Raghunathan's replacement. Pato O'Ward to F2 for this weekend.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Bernie has figured out how to fix what ails Formula 1. /sarc

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/27 ... ormula-one

Okay, first he wants to add another championship (Teams) to the constructors championship. The teams championship has more leeway in what they can do that the constructors cannot. IIRC, the teams rubbished that idea many times before saying it would create two different tiers in Formula 1. I did like Bernie's idea of turning on trackside sprinklers mid race. :lol:

What Formula 1 needs is not what they would go for which is to stop chasing technological progress. The series is at a point of diminishing returns wrt technology. It adds more complexity (V6 turbo engines), more expense to teams that can't afford it and the racing product becomes worse as a result. All they need to do is look at how good of a show the Indycar series is putting out and their cars look way better.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Bernie has figured out how to fix what ails Formula 1. /sarc

Beyond preposterous. But not surprising coming from a guy who thinks social media and digital content are a passing fad.

I don't know a single F1 fan who gives two sh*ts about the Constructors Championship. Not one. The only group that does is the teams themselves. So nobody would care about a Teams Championship, too.

Quick: Name me which team has won the most Constructors Championships, and how many? Now name me who has won the most Drivers Championships and how many. I rest my case.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:Bernie has figured out how to fix what ails Formula 1. /sarc

Okay, first he wants to add another championship (Teams) to the constructors championship. The teams championship has more leeway in what they can do that the constructors cannot. IIRC, the teams rubbished that idea many times before saying it would create two different tiers in Formula 1. I did like Bernie's idea of turning on trackside sprinklers mid race. :lol:

What Formula 1 needs is not what they would go for which is to stop chasing technological progress. The series is at a point of diminishing returns wrt technology. It adds more complexity (V6 turbo engines), more expense to teams that can't afford it and the racing product becomes worse as a result. All they need to do is look at how good of a show the Indycar series is putting out and their cars look way better.
I have no issue with weight penalties. No doubt others would scream bloody murder. But I would also be for dropping downforce by at least 50%. More emphasis on mechanical grip and less on aero would male for some exciting racing. Or how about a two race weekend. Usual boring format followed by a sprint race with half the points, but the length halved and start order based on the reverse finishing order of the main? That should bring about some passing!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:I have no issue with weight penalties. No doubt others would scream bloody murder. But I would also be for dropping downforce by at least 50%. More emphasis on mechanical grip and less on aero would male for some exciting racing. Or how about a two race weekend. Usual boring format followed by a sprint race with half the points, but the length halved and start order based on the reverse finishing order of the main? That should bring about some passing!
Sure, but the problem is that the F1 owners have decided to negotiate with all the teams with each one is looking out for it's own self interest or even threatening to leave if they can't have their way. Some teams would probably like your ideas and others won't so what you'll see is little movement towards making the series less predictable.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm currently have a good feed for the German GP but to show the difference between Indycar and F1. In Indycar you actually have competitive wheel to wheel action that you can say makes for good racing. In F1 an exiting race is having cars hitting barriers, wheel spin and penalties which becomes their definition of DRAMA.

Indycars = Good racing

F1 = Good drama + sh*t racing

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Mad Max pulls off a back to back win and Vettel did really well to go from 20th to 2nd, good job to him. That's what you expect from from someone who's won 4 WDC and not for what he'll be remembered for last year. This year Leclerc did his impersonation of Vettel but conditions were pretty tricky for all involved and there were a lot of cars going of track so he should at least get a pass on his exit. Otherwise the racing was average but the drama was good with lots of lead changes. So I guess Crofty will really be happy to sell that to F1 fans that all is well and the racing is good in the sport.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Mad Max on Pole. Honda is making a statement and the marriage between Red Bull and Honda has paid off. Two wins this year and now on Pole in Hungary. What's weird is I read that Honda's not sure if they want to be a part of the new engine regs for 2021?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

If I was at home right now I'd be watching Sky's post-qualifying analysis and they might be discussing that. I am in a rented villa somewhere near Orlando watching something called the American Cornhole Championship. How this came to be televised, I know not, but I love that it did.

A thought: can Verstappen win the title from here? A big ask, but we've got Mexico, Austin, Suzuka, Singapore...lots of places where we know he and Red Bull will be quick. I would tend to think it's not going to happen - it requires beating Mercedes pretty much everywhere, for one thing - but on current form there's just that little 'what if?' nagging at the back of my mind.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looking back when Sergio was running Ferrari before his untimely death, he told Red Bull, I don't want to beat Mercedes with your car. He knew if they had Ferrari engines they would have probably won a few championships. Red Bull is that good and quite frankly, the sport needs them because it has become a giant bore with no wins for Ferrari.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

GB_Simo wrote:A thought: can Verstappen win the title from here?
He cannot. At least I know now.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

On a slight tangent, I'm assuming it's normal for there to be an event in life during which you become very suddenly and acutely aware that time is marching on. Today, on the occasion of Nigel Mansell's 66th birthday, I spent much of the day grappling with an audible tick-tock, tick-tock...

One of my earliest memories of racing - of anything, in fact - is watching Nige and his Ferrari taking pole at Silverstone in 1990. He was my hero, as inevitably as Williams became the favourite team of a 5 year old seeking idols, all this before I was old enough to appreciate his knack for balancing a car by carrying a chip on both shoulders.

Analysis of Mansell the man requires both more space and better qualifications than I've got. Mansell the driver is easier: iron-willed, brutishly strong and with testes the size of watermelons, yet I would argue that despite 31 Grand Prix wins, a world title and an IndyCar crown, the nature of that 1992 win (and Nigel's apparent inability to acknowledge that yes, my FW14B isn't a bad car at all, thanks) leads to him being underrated somewhat. So many great races and so many great overtakes to call on as evidence: Hungary '89, Spain '91, Britain '87, Mexico '90, New Hampshire '93, Donington '98...

...but how on Earth is he 66 years old?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

If I learned anything from the podium finishers at Gateway, it's that at 34 years old, I've still got a year or two to get myself a Lights deal put together before it's too late.

On Santino Ferrucci, who is driving beautifully of late and would have won last night had the finishing order made even a little sense: it intrigues me that nobody ever seems to discuss that unpleasantness with Arjun Maini in F2 last year. I'm not sure I've even heard it acknowledged. It's as if it never happened.

Where's Conor Daly's best shot of a full time gig next year? SPM McLaren? In addition to knowing where the go pedal is, he seems a very marketable chap - hard to believe there isn't something that could be put together for him.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GB_Simo wrote:If I learned anything from the podium finishers at Gateway, it's that at 34 years old, I've still got a year or two to get myself a Lights deal put together before it's too late.

On Santino Ferrucci, who is driving beautifully of late and would have won last night had the finishing order made even a little sense: it intrigues me that nobody ever seems to discuss that unpleasantness with Arjun Maini in F2 last year. I'm not sure I've even heard it acknowledged. It's as if it never happened.

Where's Conor Daly's best shot of a full time gig next year? SPM McLaren? In addition to knowing where the go pedal is, he seems a very marketable chap - hard to believe there isn't something that could be put together for him.
Hi Adam, don't forget Fangio didn't start his F1 career until he was in his forties! :) You've got plenty of time!

I have also not heard anything during normal race coverage regarding that said "unpleasantness", although I believe Robin Miller and Marshall Pruett discussed during a podcast, but yes it seems as if he has been absolved at this point. I agree that kid has had a great season and has kept himself out of any additional trouble/controversy, so maybe he learned his lesson? :)

Conor Daly has been a mystery to me as well. Seems like he makes himself available at any time and certainly has the talent and motivation. Not that I wish any ill will on Marco, but I wonder what Conor could do in that car?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Conor rides again! This time he’s filling in for Marcus Ericsson, who is needed as Kimi’s back-up at Spa.

This could be a big one for Daly, can an impressive weekend lead to a full-time shot with the McLaren/Schmidt Peterson team next year?

He’s the most popular driver in my household, for whatever reason my 5-year old picked Conor immediately when he could actually pay attention to racing. Conor’s been exceptionally friendly the few times we have seen him as well, he’s an easy kid to root for that’s for sure.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven